Observation Nuggets going into Week 2
So this past week was definitely high-scoring due to the chalk hitting but now things have changed. We saw games that actually counted and prices have become tighter as a result. What I’m going to do here is just have a collection of thoughts that I came to from watching the games and taking a preliminary examination of the slate to come. (Primarily price-wise) Let’s not make this intro too long and get right into it.
- While he exploded fantasy-wise last week; James Conner didn’t do anything particularly special last week watching the game. He was fine. He’s a de-facto power runner and if last week was any indication he’s getting insane volume. At his workload; he’s hard to ignore. But with a significant price increase and no noticeable special ability he won’t be a plug and play this week.
- George Kittle has got the moves. He was awesome last week and solidified for me that he has what it takes to be a big factor in the SF offense and make a splash this year in the fantasy landscape. He’s $3800 on DraftKings and might be my primary TE play in all formats.
- Joe Mixon has officially broken out. Last year I was in on his ability but for whatever reason didn’t get the volume due to Jeremy Hill and Giovanni Bernard shenanigans. I don’t care about the production as it was against the awful IND defense. If his WORKLOAD stays the same; I’m all in on Joe Mixon moving forward.
- I’m not a Royce Freeman guy and last week proved my stance. I never thought he would be the bell-cow guy everyone was making him out to be taking him in the 3rd round in Best Ball drafts (ugh) because he didn’t have the pass-catching skill set. Seeing him play against NFL starters he just looks like a slow guy not giving me much confidence for him moving forward now that he’s firmly in a committee. He just has both a low floor and a low upside with his role and talent.
- Did Phillip Dorsett just show us… GOOD things on film? I think I’m in the Twilight Zone. Proceed with caution here but if the Patriots can harness his natural ability into production on the field then things could get interesting. He plays the Jaguars this week but I’ll definitely be keeping my eye out on this situations as his price is pretty low and could be even lower going into Week 3.
- The one good piece of info we got out of the Raiders game was Jalen Richard? His price is dirt cheap since prices came out before the Monday Night games took place. Watching this game the gameplan was clearly to dink and dunk their way to victory using the TEs and RBs. While I don’t necessarily agree with this strategy to win games; they face another strong pass rush against DEN and considering their main receiving options are Cooper, Old Man Jordy, and Cook I think we could be in line for a decent repeat performane here for Richard at his price of $3400.
- ODB having a great game against Jacksonville should teach us a lesson: Bet on TALENTED players when their prices are depressed. Teams know who their best guys are and for the most part are going to try to scheme ways to get them the ball in favorable positions. We were able to get him at a $1500 discount last week because he was in a “bad” matchup. No one can REALLY know what teams’ gameplans are going into a game. But we can know who the players are that area actually good on a team.
- I won’t be hopping aboard the Isaiah Crowell train after his big game last night. I’ve seen this movie too many times before. He’s not a terrible player but he isn’t anything special either. He has nice speed but it takes him a while to get into top gear. He got 10 touches in a positive game script and he’s still on an offense with a rookie QB that we aren’t 100% sure is good yet after seeing just 1 game; while not giving you anything in the passing game. I’ll pass.
There isn’t much structure to this blog it’s just more of a stream of consciousness sort of thing to get my thoughts in writing. Good way to clear my head going into the new week. Hopefully these tidbits put you on to something you weren’t thinking about before and just opens your minds to other possibilities. Comment below about some Observation Nuggets you came across after last week and heading into this week!