Top 5s: Monday, August 29th
Below I look at the top cash game and GPP plays for tonight’s on slate. I also take a look at the best and worst BvPs Monday’s slate, as well as the top stacks on the day.
1. Jose Fernandez (Miami): One thing is for sure is that Fernandez is going to rack up a ton of strikeouts. In his last two starts against the Mets he has struck out 21 batters. Another plus for him is the Mets are pitching Rafael Montero. I also like Jake Arrieta and Carlos Martinez for cash games.
2. Josh Donaldson (Toronto): Donaldson should be owned in everyone’s cash games today. Donaldson is coming off a monster game yesterday. Donaldson hit three home runs against the Twins. He has now hit five home runs in his last four games. Now, tonight he gets to face a soft tossing lefty in Wade Miley. I also really like Edwin Encarnacion, who has great BvP against Miley.
3. Miguel Cabrera (Detroit): The Detroit bats were a disappointment yesterday, but look for them to get back on track on Monday. They get to face James Shields, who has given up 25 runs in his last four starts. Look for Miggy to go deep against the homer prone Shields. Cabrera has great BvP history against Shields.
4. Trea Turner (Washington): Turner continues to light in up in the second half of the season. He has 16 hits in his last six games. He also has three stolen bases during the span. Tonight he gets to face Jake Thompson, who has been awful in his last two starts. All the Nationals bats are in play.
5. David Ortiz (Boston): It seems like Ortiz is always in a good spot and nothing changes tonight. He gets to face an average righty in Matt Andriese. Ortiz hit a home run yesterday.
1. Yu Darvish (Texas): Darvish will be lowly owned compared to Fernandez, Martinez, Arrieta, and Porcello. Another reason people will be off Darvish is he is coming off a bad start. While this isn’t a great matchup against Seattle, one thing for sure Darvish has the potential to rack of the strikeouts. He has at least five strikeouts in every start this season.
2. Kris Bryant (Chicago Cubs): Josh Donaldson is going to be so highly owned that Bryant makes for a great pivot in GPPs. Same can be said with Nolan Arenado. Over his last seven games Bryant is hitting .400 with four home runs. Tonight he gets to face a rookie lefty in Steven Brault.
3. Justin Upton (Detroit): Upton is one of the streakiest hitters in all of baseball, and right now he is riding a hot streak. Upton has 11 hits in his last eight games including four home runs. As mentioned above the Tigers are in a great spot on Monday.
4. Troy Tulowitzki (Toronto): Tulowitzki makes for a nice pivot off Carlos Correa and Corey Seager on Monday’s slate. Tulowitzki has a really nice price on Fanduel. Tulowitzki hit a home run yesterday.
5. Matt Carpenter (St. Louis): Carpenter has been struggling, but he has a breakout game yesterday. He had three hits including two doubles and a home run against the A’s. Tonight he gets a matchup against Zach Davies. Jose Altuve and Daniel Murphy will both be more highly owned, maybe Ian Kinsler too.
1. Edwin Encarnación vs. Wade Miley (5-9, 2 HRs)
2. Miguel Cabrera vs. James Shields (24-63)
3. Curtis Granderson vs. Jose Fernandez (4-9)
4. Logan Morrison vs. Rick Porcello (8-19)
5. J.D. Martinez vs. James Shields (9-21)
3. Los Angeles Dodgers
3. Chicago Cubs
4. St. Louis
5. Los Angeles Angels