INDUSTRY FORUM

Comments

• NCRick

The Moonshot on DK has $150,000 prize pool. 58,800 players. I divided 8.8/50 and get 17.6%. Am I doing this right? Maybe its 8.8/58.8 instead? That would be 15%.

• thedude404

• 2015 FanDuel NBA Playboy Mansion Finalist

15% makes it all better? the juice is 17.6%. get used to it. the only way there is a chance of it changing is people like you mentioning it. this site certainly wont write an article addressing it………

• thedude404

• 2015 FanDuel NBA Playboy Mansion Finalist

cash games were unplayable roughly 2 years ago. it seems the sites want to turn dfs into a lottery type game. whatever makes them more money right? I do have to admit I’m slightly disappointed that pussy NY AG didnt take draftkings to court. He must be the dumbest idiot in the state of NY. Ultimately what should come out of this is a fair game. I’ll be interested to read over the NY ruling and see what changes, if any, are in store for DFS. You’re probably reading this and think i hate dfs. Exactly the oppossite, I love DFS. Thats why I posted this.

• deactivated60279

What was the rake a year agoin the moon? 2 years ago? Gpp’s are seemingly harder this year from my perspective.

• bighop04

Dunno about your math i think its 15. Either way, rake is going up, this isn’t new, it just sucks

• donkshow

RG Overall Ranking

Lower stakes rake sucks. The higher you get, the better it gets.

• Bigo1

A 17.6% rake makes the game unwinnable. No matter who you are.

• g_nagy

Yahoo’s GPP’s have lower stakes/prizes but 12% rake…

• Brandon23

@g_nagy said...

Yahoo’s GPP’s have lower stakes/prizes but 12% rake…

Yahoo is a great site to play cash games if anybody is interested. GPPs occassionally get a little overlay. This past weekend even the $10 double up had about 25% overlay.

• noddy

Other sites have lower rake. Support them. Money talks!!!

• Brandon23

Also have heard some people saying sketchy things about DraftPot, but they have rake free H2Hs. This is really only attractive to low stakes players because they are all $1 and $5 H2Hs, but nice nonetheless.

• Maxkim

it’s 15%

58800 times 3 is 176400, but their paying out 150000, or 26400 in rake. 26400/176400 is a shade under 15%

• OsRitmos

Dang, if people on this site can barely get the rake calculation correct, imagine what the average American is doing when entering these contests. Just goes to show that 95%+ of people probably don’t pay attention to it at all, and certainly don’t notice a couple of percentage points here and there – they just look at that prize pool and #1 payout position.

• cAUmberlandtiger8

You cant have regulation and a low rake.

• britdevine

• 2014 StarStreet MLB Playboy Mansion Finalist

If only the regulation addressed rake as well

• ThatStunna

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #7

RG Tiered Ranking

• 2016 DraftKings FFWC Finalist

• 2017 DraftKings FBWC Finalist

Huh?

Prize pool / entrants / entry fee = fraction of money returned
    1 – that = rake

1 – (Prize pool / entrants / entry fee) = rake

So, 15%.

Mainly, if increased rake is seriously hurting you, you should 1) play less, preferably enough to offset the extra profit from the rake increase and 2) send them an email to complain, preferably while outlining how they are losing some/all of your business. DraftKings is not the only site that does MLB; even if you like the features and the laggy interface, you are literally paying for them…

Regulars outside of like the top 100-200 have the most discretion to make changes happen; casual players don’t care or organize and top level regulars tend to put their money in regardless. It’s really up to the larger community to communicate what they want and to effect change.

• pmsimkins

• 2014 FanDuel WFBC Finalist

• 2015 FanDuel WFBBC Finalist

One of the many reasons the casual player who runs multiple entries into these low dollar contests should be putting 1 entry into a higher dollar contest.

• yeahthisiscuddy

@pmsimkins said...

One of the many reasons the casual player who runs multiple entries into these low dollar contests should be putting 1 entry into a higher dollar contest.

Unless the difference in cash line is greater than the difference in rake. Then you’re just saving rake for the sharks that are winning the prize pool.

• Bigo1

It does not matter if people calculate or not the rake. At least in the medium term. Higher rakes just means more people will lose money (and at a quicker rate) and the retention rate will continue dropping. This could have a profound effect on the DFS ecosystem.

• slcseas

@Bigo1 said...

This could have a profound effect on the DFS ecosystem.

How is life in 2014? We’re living in the aftermath of those profound effects my friend.

• cAUmberlandtiger8

@britdevine said...

If only the regulation addressed rake as well

If regulation addressed rake, we would all need another hobby. The last thing I want is some state senator arbitrarily deciding what a company can charge. Let the market dictate rake.

• catmando

Last time i mentioned rake i got the “dont like it dont play “ responses and a nasty email…some things are off limits BTW i have almost quit playing LOL

Seems like only people who are capable of losing money at an alarming rate and hoping to hit the big gpp once every few weeks are left

• deactivated60279

Is it true that only like 1-2 percent of players are profitable? I’m not sure that supports a game of skill. I’m a break even player and it’s fun to me so I’m not complaining just my perspective. The rake has the most skill of all and wins in the end 99 percent lol

• tvsfrink

@Greenie222 said...

Is it true that only like 1-2 percent of players are profitable?

If it were, there’d hardly be anyone left.

• catmando

If you google enough you will see plenty of articles that show very few win money over the long term. I think one stated that 70 percent of the money was won by 2 percent of the people and on the avg they lost money at a good clip. A lot of players support their play but making money off the industry in other ways. IE sites that help you optimize where they also have click thru links to sites to get affiliate money etc.

It is much like the poker industry..top winners are limited to a small group .in general but there are the single entry guys who hit big once in a while but not year after year.

• jecarl2

It’s almost time to go back to betting online exclusively. You know the thing we used to do before dfs…

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-Gambler (NJ/WV/PA), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO) or 1-800-BETS OFF (IA). 21+. NJ/PA/WV/IN/IA/CO/IL only.