PGA FORUM

Comments

• whodat2

When: June 13-16

Where: Pebble Beach, Ca

Course: Pebble Beach GC | A par 71 playing at some stupid yardage with thick rough up to your knees knowing the USGA

Last Year’s Winner: Brooks Koepka at +1

Last Year’s Cut: +8 TOP 60 plus ties.

Coverage: Fox | FS1, Streaming: FoxSportsGo App | USOpen.com

Google Doc

RG Golf Forum League

Happy Meal Standings

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – Golf strategy talk for this week’s contest. Post referring to last week’s contest will be moved to the correct thread. Any off topic posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted..

• starstx

I am feeling really good about my lineups unlike last week where I cringed every time I looked at them. Looking at who I have no shares of I can’t help but wonder if I am going to regret having no Glover or not?

• jcotdl

@dbullsfan said...

Yea I don’t see many routes to me breaking even this week, either gonna go really well or really poorly.

this is our concern dude

• mitchsnyderdfw

Can someone tell me what the projected ownership is on Rahm? Saw at stat that he is -119 over 10 tournaments played in California. Might need to get more exposure

• al0e_neill

@BIF said...

Someone mentioned Sabbs a few pages back – wow is his Pebble record terrible 8 MCs in last 11 trips including an MC at US Open in 2010. Only one of his 3 made cuts was decent; a 15th back in 2011.

This surprises me as he is fairly accurate but I’m guessing his lower ball flight and hotter landing right to left shots don’t quite fit Pebble’s micro-sized greens so maybe not a surprise.

Looking at Sabbs’ decent sample size and poor record here is making me look for corollary golfers with less of a track record here who are likely destined to MC or underwhelm.

Ahhh and BIF exposes the reason I am tossing a dart at Sabbs.

If the regression reaper has anything to say this week, I will finally min cash again.

• DHowade

hello all, i have a question for all you golf analytics people out there. im trying to figure out what would be more valuable in terms of stats when choosing between sg approach vs gir and sg around the green vs scrambling. i know they are similar but players can have vastly different rankings between the two. is there a more accurate one then the other ? or should i be incorporating both into my models? been trying to figure golf out this entire year and this always stumps me. anyone want to teach a young grasshopper ill appreciate it ! good luck to everyone this week :)

• skankinmat

My super duper sleeper for all my fellow DFS golf degenerates..Brian Stuard.

• sfguy21

I’ve never felt so certain about my guys uptop, but utterly confused by the guys down below.

• sneaksox

Just cashed one final milly ticket from the early MLB slate! (Sorry quick baseball talk) Mookie Betts walked off the game with a walk instead of a hit so I finished ahead by 0.25 points instead of behind by 0.75…Crazy when things work out like that, it’s usually the opposite in DFS so you’ve gotta enjoy the times things fall in your favor :)

And now I won’t have to sweat a Phil single bullet!

• mitchsnyderdfw

@sfguy21 said...

I’ve never felt so certain about my guys uptop, but utterly confused by the guys down below.

Funny, with the rate top guys have been missing cuts, I am more confident with my mid and bottom tier guys than the top tier

• Pilobious

@mitchsnyderdfw said...

Funny, with the rate top guys have been missing cuts

There are some imposters in the over 9k group for sure.

• sneaksox

@mitchsnyderdfw said...

Funny, with the rate top guys have been missing cuts, I am more confident with my mid and bottom tier guys than the top tier

You can easily make a lineup of $7k players that I would be happy rolling out this week.

• BrianVT

@DHowade said...

hello all, i have a question for all you golf analytics people out there. im trying to figure out what would be more valuable in terms of stats when choosing between sg approach vs gir and sg around the green vs scrambling. i know they are similar but players can have vastly different rankings between the two. is there a more accurate one then the other ? or should i be incorporating both into my models? been trying to figure golf out this entire year and this always stumps me. anyone want to teach a young grasshopper ill appreciate it ! good luck to everyone this week :)

I believe SG Scrambling is any attempt within 60 yards of the pin, combined with how you finish the putt. Depending on how close the attempt gets you to the pin determines the weight given to either the SG of the wedge shot, or the SG of the putt, as well as whether you hole the wedge or hole the next putt.

“For example, suppose a player starts from a position where the field averages 2.5 strokes to hole out. A successful up-and-down gains a total of 0.5 strokes (two strokes for the up-and-down versus the 2.5 average to hole out). A wedge to a foot gains 0.5 strokes while sinking the tap-in gains zero, so all of the credit would go to the wedge shot. If, instead, the player wedges it to eight feet (zero gain) and holes the putt (gain of 0.5 strokes), the putt gets all of the credit.”

SG ATG is any shot within 30 yards of the edge of the green, and does not take into consideration the putt. So, just simply how close you get to the pin when you’re around the green.

• Kp24

@DHowade said...

GIR is less of a factor here because many many guys will not find the green in regulation. Scrambling on a course like pebble is key. Finau is not a good scrambler. But if his approaches are on, he won’t have to as much.

I’d look fairways gained as well, good luck

• Kp24

Winner: Cantlay
    Fade: Tiger and Speith
    Sleeper: J. Vegas

• BrianVT

@mitchsnyderdfw said...

Can someone tell me what the projected ownership is on Rahm? Saw at stat that he is -119 over 10 tournaments played in California. Might need to get more exposure

11-12 %

• BrianVT

Winner: DJ
    Fade: Tiger
    Sleeper: RCB

• DHowade

thx kp24 and BRianVT that helped ! last question if i dont want to incorporate putting in my scrambling metric and want to do that on its own which stat do i use. i thought sg around the green incorporates puts and scrambling % doesnt ? good luck to all and thanks in advance for the time spent helping me. if i win the milly ill be sure to send you a percentage of my winnings :)

• Dunzor

@DHowade said...

thx kp24 that helped ! last question if i dont want to incorporate putting in my scrambling metric and want to do that on its own which stat do i use. i thought sg around the green incorporates puts and scrambling % doesnt ?

You got it backwards, scrambling includes both chipping and putting. If you want just the chipping that is SG: Around the green

• DHowade

doesnt sg approach somewhat include da and fairways gained? im finding da sg appr and sg bs all overlap. on a course like this. im assuming sg approach and scrambling are the gotos why would you even use fairways gained and sg ball striking ? when the other stat tells the story? my knowledge is approach is fairways gained + girs gained or no ? and ball striking a combination of dd and da. so im just thinking why not just use sg approach. sorry im new to golf in general but love learning and find this sport complex and interesting

• DHowade

thx a lot man

• BrianVT

@DHowade said...

thx kp24 and BRianVT that helped ! last question if i dont want to incorporate putting in my scrambling metric and want to do that on its own which stat do i use. i thought sg around the green incorporates puts and scrambling % doesnt ? good luck to all and thanks in advance for the time spent helping me. if i win the milly ill be sure to send you a percentage of my winnings :)

ATG does not incorporate the putt. Like most every other SG, your next shot is not incorporated, just how well most players do from that spot on their next shot; if that makes any sense – just how well you positioned yourself for your next shot.

Scrambling is more like the up and down combination – how well can you finish the hole all together when starting within 60 yards of the pin.

• qatman

I ended up with a pretty balanced lineup, mostly with guys I like playing. The one guy I don’t think I’ve ever played before is Schauffele – my guess is reasonably low ownership and he seems to do well in majors. I managed to win the first tourney of the third segment of GC Cup so trying to get one more solid finish to lock up some money.

On the low end I debated Matt Jones for quite a while but ultimately passed in favor of more balance.

• smokeyca14

Winner: Koepka
    Fade: Fowler
    Sleeper: Wallace

• DHowade

ok got it i had them mixed up for some reason, alot of conflicting data out there and so much noise just trying to isolate what i believe is important for this week. everyone will have their opnion im sure.

• BrianVT

@DHowade said...

doesnt sg approach somewhat include da and fairways gained? im finding da sg appr and sg bs all overlap. on a course like this. im assuming sg approach and scrambling are the gotos why would you even use fairways gained and sg ball striking ? when the other stat tells the story? my knowledge is approach is fairways gained + girs gained or no ? and ball striking a combination of dd and da. so im just thinking why not just use sg approach. sorry im new to golf in general but love learning and find this sport complex and interesting

Try to picture every single one as separate, except for scrambling. Although, adding them up gets T2G and then SG Total adds putting (but scrambling isn’t part of that “add them all up”).

Approach is just your shot that should be your GIR shot.

GIR is not related to SG at all. It’s the old school % of time you get on the green in the amounts of strokes you “should” or less.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Use our links to sign up and deposit on sites listed in this thread to get these bonuses:

• FanDuel

Get 1-month of RotoGrinders Premium for FREE (a ~$40value) by signing up through one of our links!

Learn More
  • DraftKings

Sign up for DraftKings using a RotoGrinders link & receive our DraftKings Premium content FREE for 1 month. That’s a ~$40 value! No DraftKings promo code necessary!

Learn More
  • FantasyDraft

FantasyDraft strives to put players first, with a mission to “provide a fun and fair experience for all.” To this end, the site has a well-built, easy-to-use interface and a the first of its kind in offering “Rake-Free” fantasy contests.

Learn More

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week. Our goal is to help all of our members make more money playing daily fantasy sports!

Bet with your head, not over it!
Gambling Problem? Call 1-800-Gambler