Comments

• whodat2

When: August 6-9

Where: San Francisco, CA

Course: TPC Harding Park | A Par 70 playing at 7234 yards

Last Year’s Winner: Brooks Koepka at -8

Last Year’s Cut: +4

Coverage:
    ESPN and CBS (Sat & Sun) has full coverage of this year’s tournament.

RG Golf Forum League

Happy Meal Standings

Happy Meal Restart Standings

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – Golf strategy talk for this week’s contest. Post referring to last week’s contest will be moved to the correct thread. Any off topic posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted..!

• BIF

@bearcats667 said...

Theyre flipped.. no advantage. 20MPH on Thursday PM, 16 MPH Friday PM.. 4MPH isnt worth flipping your guy

Thanks – that what I saw last night

Also those thinking of stacking the early morning guys better make sure their boys can hit the fairway as wet morning rough in 50 degree weather likely means auto-bogey as they won’t be able to drive it as far then have to struggle with longer approaches from the wet rough in less than optimal distance conditions.

• depalma13

Remember, the colder the wind, the less effect it will have on a golf ball.

• manoffewwords

I need to stop watching Golf Channel. They are now saying bombers have advantage now. Players will be hitting more drivers. Players are now saying that you need to get closer to greens. Course will play like 7400 to 7500 yds. May wait till tonite or even early tomorrow to finalize lineups. Probably a lot of tinkering in morning.

• BIF

@manoffewwords said...

Golf channel announcers talking about posslble nasty winds in afternoon Thurs. Said Tiger May have better draw. Between this and afternoon poa, May have to consider this. I hate playing catch up on Friday in dfs.

I doubt there is much Poa in these greens as there were converted to full Bent a few years back and the Poa only slowly makes it way back in.

The highlights I saw on Golf Channel in practice rounds made them look pretty good without a ton of color differences (which is where you might notice some of the Poa on TV later in the day)

• HunkerToe

@tristanwolf said...

https://www.pga.com/archive/pga-championship-cut-rule-explained-who-makes-weekend

Thanks but that’s from last year when the regular PGA events were all T70. So I have no idea if they’re falling in line with that or not this year.

• BIF

@depalma13 said...

Remember, the colder the wind, the less effect it will have on a golf ball.

Now that’s an interesting take – I don’t think I have ever heard that in my 40 years of playing golf.

Is this because the ball isn’t going as far in the cold so the impact of wind is less or do it have something to do with the air density of cold air being less than warm air ? Does the humidity or proximity to the ocean impact this at Harding Park ?

I’m ready to do a full Bryson-style geek-dive into this…..

• Kp24

@manoffewwords said...

I need to stop watching Golf Channel. They are now saying bombers have advantage now. Players will be hitting more drivers. Players are now saying that you need to get closer to greens. Course will play like 7400 to 7500 yds. May wait till tonite or even early tomorrow to finalize lineups. Probably a lot of tinkering in morning.

Yeah I made the mistake of watching the Brooks press conference and his indifference to the questions and overall just aura of confidence makes me want to scrap everything and start over haha

• Wander_Bread

@manoffewwords said...

A lot of what I have seen and read is that there does not appear to be a ton of trouble on a lot of the holes that would preclude a player like Bryson launching one off the tee as far as they can and taking whatever result they get. Easier to hit an approach out of the rough from a closer distance in many cases, so that is why I think some people are favoring bombers.

On the other hand, a case can definitely be made the other way around for shorter hitters, but ball strikers that can hit more of these thin fairways and attack these pins a bit more even with a longer club.

I am going for players with solid short games first and foremost outside of Morikawa whose putting scares me, but I need to play him as I have a similar feeling inside me as I did on Stenson before the 2016 Open Championship for whatever reason.

• depalma13

@BIF said...

Now that’s an interesting take – I don’t think I have ever heard that in my 40 years of playing golf.

Is this because the ball isn’t going as far in the cold so the impact of wind is less or do it have something to do with the air density of cold air being less than warm air ? Does the humidity or proximity to the ocean impact this at Harding Park ?

I’m ready to do a full Bryson-style geek-dive into this…..

Look up Dr. Lex Bertrand. He’s a competitive sailor who’s done studies on how wind relates to golf. It’s some really interesting stuff.

• Bigbird08

Someone already posted TPC Harding Park has some of the toughest fairways to hit. So imo there’s no need to target accuracy as even the furyks of the world will miss fairways. Go bombers go bombs away.

• titanhawks

@HunkerToe said...

Thanks but that’s from last year when the regular PGA events were all T70. So I have no idea if they’re falling in line with that or not this year.

I’m just reading Bolton’s Fantasy Insider and he notes that the cut is top 70 and ties after 36 holes because the PGA of America runs this tournament and that is that for that as far as that goes :)

• mitchsnyderdfw

@BIF said...

do it have something to do with the air density of cold air being less than warm air ?

I think you have that backwards, the density of air is greater the colder it is. This can be witnessed in an airplane, which in hotter climates the plane requires more runway in order to gain the lift needed for takeoff.

Here is an older article explaining cold weather effects on a golf ball.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/cold-facts-about-golf-balls#:~:text=Cold%20weather%20affects%20golf%20balls%20due%20to%20the%20coefficient%20of%20thermal%20expansion.&text=%22When%20the%20golf%20ball%20gets,is%2070%20to%2090%20degrees.

• bcandrws

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #89

RG Tiered Ranking

@manoffewwords said...

yea i heard them say it will be a bombers paradise

• bcandrws

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #89

RG Tiered Ranking

@Wander_Bread said...

A lot of what I have seen and read is that there does not appear to be a done of trouble on a lot of the holes that would preclude a player like Bryson launching one off the tee as far as they can and taking whatever result they get. Easier to hit an approach out of the rough from a closer distance in many cases, so that is why I think some people are favoring bombers.

On the other hand, a case can definitely be made the other way around for shorter hitters, but ball strikers that can hit more of these thin fairways and attack these pins a bit more even with a longer club.

I am going for players with solid short games first and foremost outside of Morikawa whose putting scares me, but I need to play him as I have a similar feeling inside me as I did on Stenson before the 2016 Open Championship for whatever reason.

tony finau at that 7900 price tag should be in play

• MGoHarbaugh

Winner: X-Man
    Fade: Webb, Tiger
    Sleeper: EVR

• timusbr

@BrianVT said...

Fans will be able to tune into ESPN+ for the opening tee shots on Thursday and Friday

Thanks Brian, I did not know ESPN would have TV rights. Appreciate the 411 you gave us on the next post with the full info.

now we only need to get Eastern central mountain pacific or GMT :)

• Wander_Bread

Everyone and their mother picking Xander as winner is scaring me for sure.

I need to purchase ESPN+ for a month it looks like.

• timusbr

@bhdevault said...

Mod Note

BHD, thanks for you being you.

Your fair to posters and give us leeway
    When you need to crack down, you DO IT.

Lets go golfing sometime

• HunkerToe

@titanhawks said...

I’m just reading Bolton’s Fantasy Insider and he notes that the cut is top 70 and ties after 36 holes because the PGA of America runs this tournament and that is that for that as far as that goes :)

• PlanB

@Kp24 said...

As far as roster construction, the list of Fitz at 8.1 down to Scott at 7.8 is gonna collectively be where a bunch of people land.

Fitz. Hatton. Reed. Finau. Woodland. Rose.
    Scott.

With the exception of Rose, all are probably around 10%-15% owned. They all fit in nicely. Safe names who are honestly not bad plays but I think just avoiding the whole set of them, you open up an array of possibilities for being unique.

Good take and great way to get unique w/ player pool
    Seemed like a lot of builds leaving me in this range and hated it (hatton)
    What’s everyone think about ty this week?

• ValuableTrader

Listening to Brooks talk and watching Brooks walk, warm-up, etc. is so mesmerizing. I just can’t spend that much on him though…

• Ricardo5346

I am about 30 miles east of Harding and it is friggin cold today. 60 degrees, overcast and windy. Can’t imagine it’s much fun right now.

• JIB7

@Bigbird08 said...

Someone already posted TPC Harding Park has some of the toughest fairways to hit. So imo there’s no need to target accuracy as even the furyks of the world will miss fairways. Go bombers go bombs away.

This seems counterintuitive. Wouldn’t you discount accuracy on fairways that are easier to hit, not harder. And whether they are easy or hard, the accurate guys are still relatively more accurate. That’s why the stat exists, no?

• byo34

If there is no shot tracking and no TV coverage until 4 PM EST this is going to be a long couple of days. At least we won’t have to tilt over missed birdie putts.

Probably worth paying the 5 bucks for ESPN+.

• Bigbird08

@JIB7 said...

This seems counterintuitive. Wouldn’t you discount accuracy on fairways that are easier to hit, not harder. And whether they are easy or hard, the accurate guys are still relatively more accurate. That’s why the stat exists, no?

Yeah but if fairways hit % is under 50% even the most accurate will miss a ton of fairways mitigating their main skill set.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-Gambler (NJ/WV/PA), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO) or 1-800-BETS OFF (IA). 21+. NJ/PA/WV/IN/IA/CO/IL only.