Comments

• whodat2

When: August 6-9

Where: San Francisco, CA

Course: TPC Harding Park | A Par 70 playing at 7234 yards

Last Year’s Winner: Brooks Koepka at -8

Last Year’s Cut: +4

Coverage:
    ESPN and CBS (Sat & Sun) has full coverage of this year’s tournament.

RG Golf Forum League

Happy Meal Standings

Happy Meal Restart Standings

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – Golf strategy talk for this week’s contest. Post referring to last week’s contest will be moved to the correct thread. Any off topic posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted..!

• whodat2

I’m watching some of the practice round and the rough looks nowhere as penal as Memorial was.

• JIB7

@Bigbird08 said...

Yeah but if fairways hit % is under 50% even the most accurate will miss a ton of fairways mitigating their main skill set.

Not sure I’d agree but I honestly don’t have data to support either argument. This is why there are many ways to build a lineup. 🍻

• cardriverx93

@JIB7 said...

This seems counterintuitive. Wouldn’t you discount accuracy on fairways that are easier to hit, not harder. And whether they are easy or hard, the accurate guys are still relatively more accurate. That’s why the stat exists, no?

i’d say you discount accuracy in both extremes. if the fairways are 200 yards wide, then everyone would hit them at 95% and the difference between 95% (bad accuracy) and 98% (good accuracy) is basically nothing.

If the fairways are 5 yards wide, then even the best accuracy guys would still miss them, so the difference between 10% (bad accuracy) and 15% (good accuracy) again leaves little difference. Now, if there is some guy who is AMAZING accuracy and can still hit 50% fairways when 5 yards wide, well then it would still be important.

It’s more in the middle you would want to account for the accuracy a lot more.

• whodat2

@whodat2 said...

I’m watching some of the practice round and the rough looks nowhere as penal as Memorial was.

I take that back…… Tiger just hit an approach out of the rough. You couldn’t see his shoes.

• JIB7

@cardriverx93 said...

i’d say you discount accuracy in both extremes. if the fairways are 200 yards wide, then everyone would hit them at 95% and the difference between 95% (bad accuracy) and 98% (good accuracy) is basically nothing.

If the fairways are 5 yards wide, then even the best accuracy guys would still miss them, so the difference between 10% (bad accuracy) and 15% (good accuracy) again leaves little difference. Now, if there is some guy who is AMAZING accuracy and can still hit 50% fairways when 5 yards wide, well then it would still be important.

Agree with this general sentiment.

PGA courses don’t really sit close to either of these theoretical extremes, however. The extremes are bound by the actual courses played, none of which (I assume) have players hitting 95% or 10% of fairways. My hunch is even the narrow ones fall in a spot on the spectrum where accuracy still matters a good bit. Again, maybe the data completely refutes my hypothesis. I’m pretty new to DFS golf.

• BIF

@depalma13 said...

Look up Dr. Lex Bertrand. He’s a competitive sailor who’s done studies on how wind relates to golf. It’s some really interesting stuff.

👍 thanks, I will – I like to think I’m a pretty good wind player and my scores are less impacted by it than most other players so any extra edge I can get it, I’ll take

• mitchsnyderdfw

@whodat2 said...

I take that back…… Tiger just hit an approach out of the rough. You couldn’t see his shoes.

Saw the same thing, but if he was a couple feet closer to the fairway the rough was a lot thinner. Seems like it is spotty, sometimes they’ll get breaks and other times they’re screwed.

• mitchsnyderdfw

Just watching the practice round is making me cold. It’s looks really chilly out there

• BIF

@PicklenomicsDFS said...

Anyone who has played the course: Does the water come into play much on 14-18? Specifically, how bad of a drive to the left does it have to be to get wet?

It’s been about 7 years since I played there but I don’t recall the water being in play unless you miss huge but then again I was not “unleashing the Kraken” and trying to drive 400yd par 4’s. The water (to me) was more of a visual enhancement to the course than anything like the hazards we’ve seen the past few weeks in Minny and Memphis

• manoffewwords

@byo34 said...

If there is no shot tracking and no TV coverage until 4 PM EST this is going to be a long couple of days. At least we won’t have to tilt over missed birdie putts.

Probably worth paying the 5 bucks for ESPN+.

I believe this part of plan byDisney/ESPN. Hoping subscribers will continue after this month.

• mitchsnyderdfw

Tiger was grasping his lower back while walking off the tee on 14 of the practice round.

• BIF

Thanks, yes – should have proofread what I wrote before posting; it was more about asking dePalma what he meant than answering him.

With respect to cold weather, as a Canadian, I fully get the impact – I’m a club longer with the irons in June-August versus April-May and Sept-Oct

• MrBreeze

@manoffewwords said...

I need to stop watching Golf Channel.

Especially if you listen to Brandel Chamblee, that guy is an idiot.

• monarch

Kokrak grading out pretty well for me at 6500. Also checked and he is weirdly strong at the PGA Championship

• BIF

@whodat2 said...

They just did their final cut on it for the week to 3.5”; with cool weather, it should t grow a ton they Sunday.

The biggest problem with it is it has a very inconsistent density – some places it is thick/lush and in others it is less dense. We’ll see some guys rip hybrids 240+ out of it onto greens and others getting a bad lie will have to wedge it out 100 yards to the fairway.

• noddy

So no golf until 10am EST tomorrow?

• MrBreeze

@cardriverx93 said...

Not sure I am on board with this. Plot a chart of every drive a player makes, assuming his goal is center of fairway, how far from center is one player vs another. Sometimes one side of the FW is better for approach, but guys who hit more fairways, have more control of their aim in my opinion, I think it is an edge.

• JULIUSCEAZA

What is your cutoff for driving distance??
    Bif?

• MrBreeze

@noddy said...

So no golf until 10am EST tomorrow?

Good by me, playing in the morning and will be done as the last morning group tees off. Just won’t catch any over lay, which usually only happens with east coast 6:50 start times.

• deepfat

I hate to ask but is Kokrak popping for anyone?

• NDNole

100% ancer. Not changing anything this week. im sinking or swimming with what I put together already.

• BIF

@JULIUSCEAZA said...

What is your cutoff for driving distance??
    Bif?

You mean how far do I hit it ? Usually 275-280 and sometimes muscle them out to 300 if I roast one or if it’s dry/wind-aided. I’m 52 now and still 10-15 yds longer than most guys around my age but unfortunately I’m 10-40 yards short of the 20-30 year old crowd at my club.

• kps3205s

Anyone have a projected ownership % on Hideki?

Greatly appreciate it.

• JH822547

@kps3205s said...

Anyone have a projected ownership % on Hideki?

Greatly appreciate it.

10% DK

• titanhawks

@NDNole said...

100% ancer. Not changing anything this week. im sinking or swimming with what I put together already.

Ancer and Fitzy only two of eleven 100% in my three LU’s this week so lets go :)

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-Gambler (NJ/WV/PA), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO) or 1-800-BETS OFF (IA). 21+. NJ/PA/WV/IN/IA/CO/IL only.