STRATEGY FORUM

Comments

• yellowdart24

One debate point I have is the difference between 50/50’s – double-ups VS. head-to-head games. The argument could be made that playing head-to-heads is safer as you will most likely never lose everything unless your lineup completely tanks. While in 50/50’s or double-ups, if you have an okay night but only finish in the top 51%, you LOSE everything. Head-to-head offers more safety IMO, but also limits your upside as you will likely not sweep 100% of your h2h’s. I would be interested to see which is more profitable (taking the all or nothing approach in 50/50’s and double-ups or taking less upside for less risk in head-to-heads). Also the long-run difference between playing 50/50s or double-ups. I want to be a more profitable cash game player and want to be consistently making profit.

• side note * Has anyone else noticed that DraftKings have made it more difficult to actually find 50/50’s? On the App, when you select which categories you want, there is no different when selecting 50/50 or Double-up. Both show the exact same double-up leagues that you can join and takes endless amounts of scrolling to find 50/50’s and most are not guaranteed prize pools.

Thanks for the input!

• BobGrinder

I don’t use the app but the main site has a search in the lobby. If the app has a search just search for 50/50.

• Dtayl913

Replying to this to give it a bump…

This is exactly the issue I’ve struggled with for months, in all sports. Never can get a grasp on the better strategy. I’m surprised there aren’t more (or any, far as I can see) articles that go over actual game selection, as opposed to just lineup construction.

• TJF74

My winning percentage is higher in head to heads vs. double ups (70% vs. 55% in NHL on DK) . The smaller double ups are harder to win on DK vs. the larger 100+ man entries on FD. I would generally avoid the larger double ups that allow multiple entries as the cash lines seem to be higher. Check the bankroll tracker to see how you are doing.

The best advice that I’ve read here is to play them both. If you do better in double ups, play more of them. If you play only in the double ups, use multiple lineups so your risk is split. With 2 lineups (such as having 2 different goalies or pitchers), you will either get them both in winning position or you can have one that wins to break even. I find that having a winning goalie that plays well is often the difference between cashing in the double ups. If you only play 1 lineup, you really have to watch your bankroll management.

• jimmyd1507

@yellowdart24 said...

While in 50/50’s or double-ups, if you have an okay night but only finish in the top 51%, you LOSE everything

Um, 51% in a 50/50 IS winning.

That’s why I play them.

• jimmyd1507

@Dtayl913 said...

Replying to this to give it a bump…

This is exactly the issue I’ve struggled with for months, in all sports. Never can get a grasp on the better strategy. I’m surprised there aren’t more (or any, far as I can see) articles that go over actual game selection, as opposed to just lineup construction.

Me personally?

I bet about $110-$150 each week.

Probably 75% of that goes into 50/50’s and double ups, generally all with the same lineup.

Another 15% goes to $5 triple ups.

The last 10% goes to GPP for funsies.

An average week, I am cashing on my 50/50’s. A solid week, and I cash my triple ups too. A great week (like this week), I profit off the GPP’s.

You hit about 55% for the year, you’re going to come out on top.

• yellowdart24

I meant that in 50/50s lets say you join a 200 man league, only the top 100 get paid. So if you have a lineup good enough to finish 102/200, you lose everything. Same thing in double-up. If you join a 227 man league, only the top 100 get paid. So again if you have a lineup good enough to finish 102/227, you lose everything. So lets say you join 50 $1 50/50’s or double-ups, if you use the same lineup and it’s only good enough to finish in the top 51% you lose everything (top 51% meaning outside the top 50% needed to cash just in 50/50’s let alone double-ups). Now if you join 50 $1 h2hs with the same team and you put up the same score, you should expect to go around 25-25 and only lose the “rake” from the site. That’s a big difference. Personally however, I always seem to play the experts in h2hs (average opponent scores over 260 against me in basketball) so I now avoid them in basketball. Over the past two weeks, I’ve been killing it in double-ups that pays out double your fee instead of the crappy $1.80. Again, I have no data to back this up but IMO, if you are a strong cash player and are cashing more than say 55% of the time, you might as well play 50/50’s or even double-ups and consistently sweep your leagues instead of playing h2h and going against the luck of the draw on how difficult of experts you play that night.

• yellowdart24

@BobGrinder said...

I don’t use the app but the main site has a search in the lobby. If the app has a search just search for 50/50.

I can find 50/50s so that’s not really the issue. The problem is that DK only has like 10 or 20 man leagues that are much harder to cash IMO. I love playing the single entry 227 or 334 man double-ups and playing enough “fish” to cash.

• yellowdart24

@TJF74 said...

My winning percentage is higher in head to heads vs. double ups (70% vs. 55% in NHL on DK) . The smaller double ups are harder to win on DK vs. the larger 100+ man entries on FD. I would generally avoid the larger double ups that allow multiple entries as the cash lines seem to be higher. Check the bankroll tracker to see how you are doing.

The best advice that I’ve read here is to play them both. If you do better in double ups, play more of them. If you play only in the double ups, use multiple lineups so your risk is split. With 2 lineups (such as having 2 different goalies or pitchers), you will either get them both in winning position or you can have one that wins to break even. I find that having a winning goalie that plays well is often the difference between cashing in the double ups. If you only play 1 lineup, you really have to watch your bankroll management.

I agree to avoid double-ups that allow multi-entries at all costs. To me that is just donating money. I think the most profit (for me) has been playing 334 man single entry double-ups as there are usually enough fish to place in the top 150. Plus you double your fee instead of just winning $1.80.

• DermDerm

• 2014 FanDuel NFL Playboy Mansion Finalist

@jimmyd1507 said...

Um, 51% in a 50/50 IS winning.

That’s why I play them.

You play in 100 $1 50/50. You win 51% of them. Your “winnings” on FD would be $1.80 per contest which is $91.80. Your money invested was $100. Your net was -$8.20. You might want to rethink winning 51% of 5050s as “winning”

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).