INDUSTRY FORUM

Comments

• DCoop328

ESPN DFS analyst Cynthia Frelund claims to have a 94% win rate at DraftKings and a 90% win rate on Fanduel. Does this seem at all possible for even the best player possible in just h2hs?

My only possible theories are that she only plays a friend h2h who picks his team blindfolded or she is a time traveler?

Thoughts?

• wazzu24

RG LoL Writer

I hope she nails the RG interview, but I have a hard time reading that tweet she wrote and coming to any conclusion other than she doesn’t have a clue.

• JHols1nger

“SportsCenter Daily Fantasy Analyst” who is either lying or doesn’t even have a rudimentary understanding of variance.

I’m not sure which is worse.

• bucherpsu08

@probablymylastlogin said...

“In the cash.” I play a ton of lineups and think I have only had one night in the last two months where EVERY lineup failed to cash.

Totally deceptive, and could mean she is a losing player, but if she is getting a single lineup into cash, then she is “in the cash” 90% of the time.

That’s a good point. Statistics are so easy to manipulate. Without context it’s hard to say what this actually means. Hell, it could mean that last night alone she was 90% in the money. We have no idea without an explanation.

• wavegoodbye

@JHols1nger said...

“SportsCenter Daily Fantasy Analyst” who is either lying or doesn’t even have a rudimentary understanding of variance.

I’m not sure which is worse.

Haha this sums it up so perfectly…

Really don’t know what I’m hoping for more but theres a number of highly intelligent people who can’t grasp how variance and sample size work in a game like dfs

• milktruck

Just going to point out this is the same company that brought you this: http://deadspin.com/5906658/is-an-espn-columnist-scamming-people-on-the-internet

• Yukerboy

• Blogger of the Month

I have a 7,607 – 14,708 record on Fanduel. A 34% win percentage because numbers. Win percentage is overrated. But then, I also realize I could just suck.

• CrazyGabey

@kalcashmoney said...

Who is Cynthia Frelund?

I believe she is friends with Renee Miller.

• Putz

@Yukerboy said...

I have a 7,607 – 14,708 record on Fanduel. A 34% win percentage because numbers. Win percentage is overrated. But then, I also realize I could just suck.

And lucky the rest of the time!

• Yukerboy

• Blogger of the Month

@Putz said...

And lucky the rest of the time!

Based on my win percentage, DFS is 66% skill and 34% luck.

• CrazyGabey

I don’t see how there can be a misunderstanding with that terminology. I’m the last one to go tinfoil hat, but I have it on good authority from a source that ESPN brass have zero to none understanding of DFS and have been irresponsible and flippant with their approach towards providing content.

It is extremely troubling to me that after gaining a stake in DraftKings they now advertise how “easy” it is to win using a pretty face with misleading win percentages.

This is not to say that Cynthia isn’t an outstanding DFS player or every bit deserving of being on-air. I’m simply pointing out that the timeline and methods used here look like an exercise in poor judgement. In fact, it is ESPN’s responsibility to protect their employees from exactly the sort of backlash Cynthia is receiving now. It’s Jurassic strategy to think that in this day in age you can just throw numbers like that around with no accountability.

I’d love an ESPN rep to comment in this thread.

• afcangelo

Seems pretty obvious the first part, they do sometimes get it right though with the people they’ve put on their shows. Also, seeing as how this is a fairly large percentage of what (once was) the online poker and sports betting community, 90% and 94% are ABSURD numbers to anyone who knows literally almost anything.

ESPN are touting a very dangerous carrot, because they don’t even know what carrot it is exact that they’re dangling. Dangerous stuff. As is NASCAR for DK potentially, maybe even the industry as a whole.

• nvetta

It’s amazing how many “hot blondes” become experts in tv related fields at such a prime age

• ebsteelers

well she wins 94% of the time and I lose 94% of the time, so together we are about 50-50 so i think its possible.

• RikkiDee

• Ranked #5

RG Tiered Ranking

Its a good thing to have misinformed ‘experts’ on ESPN

• afcangelo

Sarah J Phillips anyone??

• mrchuffy

Wonder how much she will win tonight….I think Anibal Sanchez might bring her win % down a bit.

• CrazyGabey

@ebsteelers said...

well she wins 94% of the time and I lose 94% of the time, so together we are about 50-50 so i think its possible.

Comment of the year.

• CrazyGabey

@afcangelo said...

Sarah J Phillips anyone??

That’s exactly what I was thinking.

• Yukerboy

• Blogger of the Month

@quivirra43 said...

it’s deceptive marketing, espn is heavily invested in draft kings. they just got a bunch of idiots to believe 90% win rates are possible, the overall effect is more people will spend money playing dfs; and based on frelund’s dimwitted response i doubt this was unintentional.

If this is their intention, I’m all for it. :)

• khall0816

FD WFBBC Finalist

• 2017 FanDuel WFBC Finalist

• 2015 FanDuel WFBBC Finalist

Can I just challenge her in a H2H? For jobs…?

• khall0816

FD WFBBC Finalist

• 2017 FanDuel WFBC Finalist

• 2015 FanDuel WFBBC Finalist

@CrazyGabey said...

In fact, it is ESPN’s responsibility to protect their employees from exactly the sort of backlash Cynthia is receiving now. It’s Jurassic strategy to think that in this day in age you can just throw numbers like that around with no accountability.

I’d love an ESPN rep to comment in this thread.

Does ESPN have a presence on RG?

• CeeGee

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #11

RG Tiered Ranking

She talks like she’s had about 12 pots of Coffee

SLOW DOWN WOMAN

• CeeGee

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #11

RG Tiered Ranking

So true.

It honestly amazes me how little the general public knows / understands “what” DFS really is.

• tgowen

• Blogger of the Month

Well, it’s good to see sexism is a thing of the past.

Honestly though, I feel like this whole thread would be different if instead of “ESPN DFS analyst Cynthia Frelund” we have “RG Expert Stuart Anderson.” Comments of doubt and insult would be replaced with amazement and admiration and it would all happen with the exact same amount of information we have on Cynthia right now.

BTW, this is not a shot at RG in any way, but instead it is directed at those who feel the need to question everything/everyone they know nothing about.

Yes, the win rate seems misleading, so what? Wait for her interview with Dan and then go ahead and do what you need to make yourself happy. I just wonder how many people out there would love to have their entire career judged, based on a Twitter postings worth of information?

• Putz

Women in DFS never get enough credit, much like real life where they always have to prove themselves.

Tgow, I slightly disagree with you because some people are offended by the notion of anyone doing better then them, realistic results or not, man or woman.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Use our links to sign up and deposit on sites listed in this thread to get these bonuses:

• FanDuel

Get 1-month of RotoGrinders Premium for FREE (a ~$40value) by signing up through one of our links!

Learn More
  • DraftKings

Sign up for DraftKings using a RotoGrinders link & receive our DraftKings Premium content FREE for 1 month. That’s a ~$40 value! No DraftKings promo code necessary!

Learn More
  • FantasyDraft

FantasyDraft strives to put players first, with a mission to “provide a fun and fair experience for all.” To this end, the site has a well-built, easy-to-use interface and a the first of its kind in offering “Rake-Free” fantasy contests.

Learn More

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week. Our goal is to help all of our members make more money playing daily fantasy sports!

Bet with your head, not over it!
Gambling Problem? Call 1-800-Gambler