INDUSTRY FORUM

Comments

• kiteman

I see $4 NBA games on DK where one person can enter a max of 20 LUs; there are usually 30-35k total LUs in this game with the winner getting $10k or so. Then there is the more popular $10 nightly tournament where we all know is 150 max LU, something like 50k total lineups, but the winner gets $100k.

So I am just curious what others think about this. In the first one you can enter 20 max LU for $80, and in the other you can enter 8 LU for $80. Which one do/would you pick, and why? I feel I’m swayed by the $100k, not to mention if you aren’t used to it, entering more than 5 LU at a time can be a little daunting and cause you to overlook things. But then I feel like the former has a level playing field, ie you aren’t competing your 8 LU against all the people that max out the 150. Again, just curious what others think.

• hautalak

Just depends on if you think you can “win” one or not. I’d prefer the 20 against less contestants and with the “flatter” pay structure than some lottery style you are at a huge disadvantage. You can’t have all scenarios covered with 150 but you can have a lot more “pivots” to up your chances of the one bringing it down.

AT least with 20 lineups you are on an “even” playing field. You might want an actual “MME” to answer though although they’ll probably tell you go for it all so they can play against you and your 8 lineups. It’s still all a matter of opinion.

• kujo33

In my opinion you have a much better shot at winning or placing high in a 20 max or single entry. I typically play the $12 single entry every day and throw in a few lineups into the $1 and $4 GPPs. I have found this works out way better than entering the 150 max tournaments. Most of the time to play high in the 150 max tournaments you had to play a guy that wasn’t in a great spot that just went nuts. If you are only playing a few lineups your odds of picking that guy are very low. In the 20 max/single entries you may still need the guy to win, but it is easier to get a high finish as people can’t cycle in as many low owned plays in only 20 lineups. For example I had a lineup that scored 293 last night which I entered in the $1, $4 and $12 single entry. This returned $43 on $17 in entries. I didn’t play in the big tournament but I’m guessing that may have been good for around $20? Had I chosen my other lineup for the single entry it would have returned $50 on $12 (it scored 303 points). Your total upside is obviously capped (can not win $50k-100k) but your chances of winning $100+ go up. The single entry usually pays out around $4000 in the week and $1500 on weekends to first.

• hendog

• 2017 DraftKings FFWC Finalist

Of the two tournaments you mentioned, you are going to have much less variability in the first one. This is for two reasons: the tournament is smaller, and you are putting in more lineups. The 20-max vs 150-max aspect of it is less important, IMO.

• UBP

@kiteman said...

I feel I’m swayed by the $100k,

Please delete this before the DraftKings_CM team sees it.

• Mocexx

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #31

RG Tiered Ranking

I think you should enter the type of tournament you feel most comfortable playing. If entering multiple lineups is a daunting task then focus on what you feel comfortable with, or have been profitable at.

I try to focus on tournaments where I have at least the same amount of entries as everyone in the field. I might be worse than the people I am competing against, but at least I have the same number of lineups.

If you want to get more comfortable with MME play the mini-max. It doesn’t have the same payout, obviously, but it’s a much cheaper way to find out if you are profitable player!

• jgAllDay

^^^ this is phenomenal advice.

One other great point of view that I’ve heard players like Awesemo say is if you’re going to put an amount in play, try to get as many entries for it that you can. This can help a ton with variance while allowing you to experiment and find a rhythm and style of play that you like most.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-Gambler (NJ/WV/PA), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO) or 1-800-BETS OFF (IA). 21+. NJ/PA/WV/IN/IA/CO/IL only.