INDUSTRY FORUM

Comments

• unageo09

Many of you followed along this past Spring as well watched and listened to the Alabama Legislature try to pass DFS legislation. As you know, the bill failed and now we have to start all over. The Alabama Legislature will go into the 2018 Session on January 9th at noon. As of today there are currently no prefiled bills regarding DFS. My personal opinion about the upcoming session is that there will once again be legislation introduced but like last time it will fail. Why you might ask? The main reason is 2018 is an election year and that doesn’t bode well for any “gaming” bills. The current mood toward DFS during the last session was very bleak and I feel like that will continue into the upcoming session. Apparently, the NFL anthem protests may even play a role in it. With 2018 being an election year and if things don’t go our way then we will have a chance to vote these folks out. Alabama recently elected a Democratic senator for the first time in 25 years (Jeff Sessions) old seat. So, there is the feeling that there could be sweeping change come election time. We’ll have to wait and see how this session goes but I give is a very low chance at even making it to the governor’s desk. Will update when I can if there are any changes as we progress through the session.

SENATE BILL 325 Introduced that would allow and regulate Fantasy Sports Contests in Alabama. Now would be the time to contact your Senators and Reps to ask them to support this bill! The bill was introduced by Senator Paul Sanford

Senate Committee meeting set for Wednesday (February 28th) at 8:30 a.m.

Senate Committee meeting voted 6-0 as favorable. Now awaiting to see if they can get it to the Senate floor for a vote February 28, 2018

Bill failed 3/13/2018

• unageo09

The session opens on Tuesday at noon and I still feel like there is a very low chance of any DFS legislation being passed this year. Everything that I have been reading points to this being a quick session and avoiding any controversial long bills that might drag things down. This being an election year will likely be the downfall for our chances of getting anything passed. However, it may look up for the 2019 session if we get a wave of new folks in office.

• CompleteCrest321

I really don’t matter what the do this session even if they were to pass some type of bill making fantasy sports legal in Alabama, Kay Ivey will VETO it I promise you that. Just look at her past when it come to any type of gaming. Until she is out of office the people of Alabama will have no chance of play Fantasy sports or of having a lottery

• unageo09

There is a lottery bill introduced but still nothing to do with DFS. Like I originally said, I believe we have a much better chance next year after elections assuming some of these folks get the boot out of office.

• CompleteCrest321

Saw my Rep. washing his truck at car wash today asked him about the fantasy bill. He didn’t have much to say about it. So I don’t think the bill is even on the minds of the people in Montgomery.

• dredaay

I can enter y’all Alabamians lol, if interested PM me.

• moped_jones

@CompleteCrest321 said...

Saw my Rep. washing his truck at car wash today asked him about the fantasy bill. He didn’t have much to say about it. So I don’t think the bill is even on the minds of the people in Montgomery.

or it’s not on the mind of his donors.

• unageo09

Senator Paul Sanford introduced a new bill that would regulate and allow fantasy sports back in Alabama. It will start the long legal process of trying to get passed. Senate Bill 325.

https://legiscan.com/AL/bill/SB325/2018

• JustDFSin

@dredaay said...

I can enter y’all Alabamians lol, if interested PM me.

We need more people from Alabama to enter into contests. They are not exactly the brightest of people.

• deejones49

@JustDFSin said...

We need more people from Alabama to enter into contests. They are not exactly the brightest of people.

We be smart and we is good at DFS

• unageo09

SB 325 cleared committee today. 6-0 favorable vote

• golfer32

@JustDFSin said...

keep thinking that, yank

• TheRyanFlaherty

^
    That exchange did make me curious whether that was an unfair stereotype or not.
    If anyone else becomes curious, I’ll save you the search – the most recent study I found was 2015 – ranking states by intelligence based on things such as IQ, SAT/ACT, college graduates, etc…
    So fwiw…

Alabama ranked 47

Beating Mississippi, Nevada and Hawaii
    Massachusetts was #1. 3 New England states actually make up the top 5.
    So there’s some data for either side of that argument lol

And since I took this away from what matters. I will add I hope everything works out (passes)
    Not because I think Alabama players will be easy money, but because I can’t imagjne how much that would suck to be in a state that didn’t allow you to play.
    So I’m rooting for anyone that is (has) been stuck in that position.

• unageo09

It still seems rather bleak that the bill will go anywhere but if they can get it to a vote anything can happen.

• unageo09

and the bill fails.

• CompleteCrest321

I’ve not seen any updates on the bill, where did you hear if failed?

• myb821

https://altoday.com/archives/21991-alabama-fantasy-sports-bill-fails-senate-ahead-vote

• unageo09

Unfortunately I watched it. It only took took about 30 seconds and on to the next bill.

• unageo09

We have state primaries coming up on June 5th so now is our chance to make a push to get some of these people stuck in the Stone Age out of office!

• gamersfuel

any updates here with Alabama?

• unageo09

Nothing new. The legislature meets in February so we won’t hear about any bills until then. If you are inclined to vote this November, Walt Maddox who is running for governor, has already pledged support for a lottery and for expanding gaming to include sports betting. He is our best shot to really move forward, imo.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).