INDUSTRY FORUM

Comments

• pimpbotlove

• 2016 DraftKings FHWC Champion

• x4

2016 DraftKings FHWC Finalist

Hello!

This is Dan Barbarisi, author of Dueling with Kings, the recently-released book about the world of DFS. In DFS itself, I’m known as Pimpbotlove. The nice people at Rotogrinders have asked me to do an AMA here, so if anyone has questions on the book itself, the book writing process, the industry, my journey, my time covering professional baseball, or whatever, fire away, and I’ll do my best to answer them over the week!

A few basics about me:
    -Born NYC, raised Rye Brook, NY. Undergrad Tufts U., Grad school Brown U.
    -Spent 2001-2008 as political & crime reporter in Providence, RI, at the Providence Journal
    -Started covering the Boston Red Sox in the fall of 2008
    -Covered the NY Yankees for the Wall St. Journal from 2010-2015
    -Quit the WSJ in Dec. 2015 to work on Dueling with Kings full time.
    -DWK covers the period from May of 2015 thru the announcement of the DK/FD merger, Nov. 2016. Buy it here: https://t.co/Q5iI7nnDOy
    -Born July 2, 1979, the very same day as Jumbo Joe Thornton, though he looks like he could be my dad.

We will randomly select 10 people (who ask a question) to receive a copy of ‘Dueling with Kings’, so ask away!

• probablymylastlogin

Have you decided whether or not you are going to be a winning MLB DFSer this season?

(real question) Assuming you still keep in contact with some of the people in the MLB beat, how aware have beat reporters become about fantasy and how fantasy oriented their viewer base is becoming on a daily basis?

• q80minouma

RG Overall Ranking

• 2016 DraftKings FGWC Finalist

• x2

2020 DraftKings FHWC Finalist

Is hockey DFS twitter the most annoying and whiny of all the sports? And is it directly correlated to the player’s suckitude?

• pimpbotlove

• x4

@probablymylastlogin said...

Have you decided whether or not you are going to be a winning MLB DFSer this season?

(real question) Assuming you still keep in contact with some of the people in the MLB beat, how aware have beat reporters become about fantasy and how fantasy oriented their viewer base is becoming on a daily basis?

(Fake Question) Talk to me on April 2.

(Real Question) So I think that the older ones have basically no idea how important it is. They have some peripheral understanding that it’s out there, but not how much their audience is really looking at their work for fantasy purposes, versus general team fandom. The younger set has a much better concept of it, of course, but I even think that they don’t really get the extent to which it’s true; I certainly didn’t until I started playing DFS, and then I was like, “oh, THAT’S why so many people were hounding me for lineup updates all the time!”

• tmarohl

No question for you Pimp, but I did order and read your book. Nice job!

• tkdman14

• 2015 DraftKings FFWC Finalist

How did you justify (to yourself) quitting a secure job to pursue DFS/writing the book? Psychologically, socially, financially, etc? Thanks!

• pimpbotlove

• x4

@q80minouma said...

Is hockey DFS twitter the most annoying and whiny of all the sports? And is it directly correlated to the player’s suckitude?

Hockey twitter is pretty whiny, but so many of whiners are Canadian that it’s all so darned polite! It’s probably because I don’t follow it in the same way, but I think NBA twitter is worse.

This is, of course, probably due to the fact that there’s way more NBA users, and hence my feed is always clogged with NBA stuff which I super don’t care about. So yeah, I assume whatever sport one doesn’t play has the most annoying twitter.

• filmcritic

As a film critic, who will play you in the movie?

But seriously – do you cover any of the Fantasy Hub buyout by DK in the book and what in your research for the book did you cover on smaller sites that compete with the big boys – and what did you find….sorry that’s a lot of questions.

• dubchr7

• Blogger of the Month

how long did you grind it out before you started becoming profitable and what do you think is the most important aspect of staying that way?

• pimpbotlove

• x4

@tkdman14 said...

How did you justify (to yourself) quitting a secure job to pursue DFS/writing the book? Psychologically, socially, financially, etc? Thanks!

I honestly believed that this was such a great story, that I had to tell it the right way, and that meant being all in. It was May/June 2015, and I was so, so certain that DFS was going to blow up and go in crazy directions no one could predict — myself included, but I knew that I wanted to be there to document it. So I started working on the book, and then, boom, Ad Blitz, boom, Haskell, boom, Attorneys General actions… so then, I was already a third of the way into writing the book, everything was going bonkers, and while I had no idea where it was going, I knew I was already way ahead of the game in terms of chronicling everything that was going on. To do it for real, I had to leave the (secure, awesome, stable) job, but I believed it was worth it because I really wanted the story to be told the right way, and if I was still trying to do my all-consuming day job, I couldn’t live it and experience it and tell the story of it the way I wanted to.

To be more specific:
    Psychologically, I said to myself that I’ve always just wanted crazy, interesting experiences, and this would certainly be one.
    Socially, my wife said she was okay with this, and as long as she was on board, I didn’t care much that everyone else thought I was f’n nuts
    Financially… well, yeah, that was probably pretty dumb, but fortunately it turned out okay in the end!

• Bigballer4679

Can I get one of the free copies of this incredible new book?

• tbellucco8

Hey Dan! You mentioned in your book the toll that “sweating” your DFS lineups each night can take on your body emotionally. That resonated with me for sure, and since then I’ve been trying to balance my NBA watching experience between enjoying the game that I’ve grown to love and also being able to do other things without constantly checking my night’s score. How are you managing this “struggle” (if you wanna call it that) these days, and do you have any advice on the matter?

I’m thinking I have a plan for baseball: As a diehard Pirates fan I think I’ll aim to just watch their games and try to seperate myself from my DFS lineups for a few hours. My girlfriend also enjoys that over watching random teams because I am rostering their left fielder. Any thoughts appreciated!

Awesome work with this book. Best read I’ve had in a while.

• Slah

• 2015 NASCAR Live Final Champion

Hi Dan,

Love your work.

Why is “Dueling” italicized on the cover?

Thanks and good luck this season.

• pimpbotlove

• x4

@filmcritic said...

But seriously – do you cover any of the Fantasy Hub buyout by DK in the book and what in your research for the book did you cover on smaller sites that compete with the big boys – and what did you find….sorry that’s a lot of questions.

The FantasyHub bailout was one of the things that got left on the cutting room floor — I had a paragraph on it, but it went by the wayside when I was lopping 5,000 words off at the end to get under the desired length. I dealt with FantasyAces a little bit, but in large part, I wanted to stick to the Big Two, in order to not get sidetracked too badly from the main narrative. If anything suffered from that it’s Yahoo, whose business is significant and deserved more mention than I gave it.

• pimpbotlove

• x4

@filmcritic said...

Oh, and to me, it’s GOT to be Jason Biggs, but my wife likes this idea less than I do.

• osieczanek

As someone who worked in the newspaper industry for 10+ years at the Rocky Mountain News until we closed about eight years ago I know how bad things are at paper across the country. Did the state of the industry help lead to your decision to quit the WSJ and go on this quest? Are you glad you did it? Haven’t got the book yet, but would love to read it. Thanks for doing this!

• pimpbotlove

• x4

@dubchr7 said...

how long did you grind it out before you started becoming profitable and what do you think is the most important aspect of staying that way?

I think it took me… 8 months before I was consistently profitable? A painful 8 months. In terms of staying that way I’d say the most important two factors are bankroll management — not chasing losses, specifically — and game selection. Gotta have the right type of lineup for the right type/size of game, which is a lesson it took me way too long to learn in terms of putting small-field tourney lineups into big tourneys etc., chasing the milly maker pots, junk like that.

• pimpbotlove

• x4

@Slah said...

Hi Dan,

Love your work.

Why is “Dueling” italicized on the cover?

Thanks and good luck this season.

That is a very good question, and one I do not have an answer to, as it was not my decision (Authors have way less control over the titles/covers/presentation/marketing of their books than I realized when I got into this!). I think, to hazard a guess, it’s supposed to show excitement or action or something along those lines.

• fenway2015

do you think the “sharks” who play hundreds of entries in the GPP’S and win most of the tournaments will drive away the casual DFS player and eventually kill the industry unless draft kings and fan duel put a stop to the practice to even the playing field?

• pimpbotlove

• x4

@tbellucco8 said...

Hey Dan! You mentioned in your book the toll that “sweating” your DFS lineups each night can take on your body emotionally. That resonated with me for sure, and since then I’ve been trying to balance my NBA watching experience between enjoying the game that I’ve grown to love and also being able to do other things without constantly checking my night’s score. How are you managing this “struggle” (if you wanna call it that) these days, and do you have any advice on the matter?

I’m thinking I have a plan for baseball: As a diehard Pirates fan I think I’ll aim to just watch their games and try to seperate myself from my DFS lineups for a few hours. My girlfriend also enjoys that over watching random teams because I am rostering their left fielder. Any thoughts appreciated!

Awesome work with this book. Best read I’ve had in a while.

Yeah, I’ve never really gotten good at that part. What I’ve found is that if I’m in that night, I just have a really hard time tearing myself away. My best solution has to been to try to play less in terms of days of the week; take the 3/4 game slates off completely instead of playing 7 days a week, and then it’s way more okay if I’m heavily (mentally) invested on the 3/4 days I do play. Also, when I can’t commit a buncha hours to lineups, and to then monitoring/swapping ahead of locks for later games, etc, because I’ll be out or something, then I probably shouldn’t be playing heavy… and I’ve gotten better about listening to the inner voice on that one.

GL to the Pirates, especially my boy Chris Stewart!

• gskellert

In the book you talked about finding a mentor to help you in the DFS world. Would you be someone who would want to be a mentor to someone? The student becomes the master so-to-speak? If you are, I’m ready to learn! Thanks!!

• supaflix

Over past couple years DFS user base has grown exponentially. The overall amount of money placed on lineups everyday is staggering and continuing to grow. FD/DK were the two biggest players in the DFS market and have now merged.

If FD/DK were a publicly traded company, what would their market capitalization, revenue, and profit margin be?

• BigSnack

What was the most surprising thing you learned about DFS while researching/writing the book?

• bc8844

Hey Dan, I haven’t read the book yet but as soon as the school year is over and I have time I was planning on getting a hold of a copy. Which DFS sport do you find most difficult to consistently win at and what would you attribute that mostly to? When the playing time becomes so difficult to predict at this time of the season in NBA do you play a lot less or not at all? Thanks for the time. Looking forward to the read.

• pimpbotlove

• x4

@fenway2015 said...

do you think the “sharks” who play hundreds of entries in the GPP’S and win most of the tournaments will drive away the casual DFS player and eventually kill the industry unless draft kings and fan duel put a stop to the practice to even the playing field?

I definitely think that’s a danger, and a constant one, though I actually believe it’s much better than it used to be in that regard. When I first started on this project, in May/June 2015, there were no real entry limits, no real controls on things like scripting, etc… it was just a much more uneven playing field, because at the time, the companies were so focused on growth, and on retaining power users, that they weren’t (IMO) paying enough attention to the new guy who shows up, plays his $25 or $50, gets whomped, and has a lousy experience, probably not coming back. They were both so concerned on beating the other company, and so sure that there were a limitless amount of new customers, that they didn’t put the proper structures in place to ensure that the “regular” guy had a fighting chance against the 500+ lineups of the supremely optimized power user (tiered contests, smaller max-entry tourneys, silly badges, etc etc etc). That’s where you got those “1% win 90% of the cash” stats from back then, when it was all at its nadir. I think they’ve certainly done a better job of addressing that versus those days, but it’s always going to be a balance, and one they’ve got to be vigilant of, or they run the risk of becoming online poker.

• Dcb2i

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles VS. The Power Rangers: who ya got? Can I have a book? :)

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-Gambler (NJ/WV/PA), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO) or 1-800-BETS OFF (IA). 21+. NJ/PA/WV/IN/IA/CO/IL only.