NHL FORUM

Comments

• pokerrob1970

DraftDay BLB Finalist

So it’s once again time for the annual what are sites doing with their NHL product this year thread. FD has talked about either removing or at worst reducing the value of +/- along with the removal of positive points for penalties. As of right now they appear to be the same as last year. On DK they made a roster change in MLB that limited people to a max of 5 batters in a lineup. Is that going into effect in NHL as well? (no more than 5 skaters per team)

• kroto

fanduel is going to remove the L and R from LW and RW and just make LW and RW players W..

• pokerrob1970

DraftDay BLB Finalist

They really should just go forwards and D

• deejones49

They might be doing away with the plus minus. I also filled out the survey and asked for a utility spot

• deejones49

Reduced goalie pads should increase scoring

• newynewstrom

• x3

2016 DraftKings FGWC Finalist

FD will not have +/- this year

• lasimmon

@deejones49 said...

Reduced goalie pads should increase scoring

Was delayed a year I am pretty sure.

• deejones49

@lasimmon said...

Was delayed a year I am pretty sure.

Goalies across the league will be required to wear equipment better suited to their body size when the 2016-17 season begins or face suspension.

• wisertime

I actually liked the +\- it was a huge advantage if you had 2nd and 3rd line guys score. I honestly wish FD would not count overtime 3 on 3 scoring. Too me, I think it’s bullshit.

• maxeernst

Given the trend of FD trying to change their scoring to make the product more palatable for the masses, I’d say it’s a safe bet +/- and PIM pts will be gone… But who knows.

DK announced on twitter that there will be no changes to their NHL product.

• newynewstrom

• x3

FD told me that +/- is going away because they had to use a different stats feed for it for live scoring

• newynewstrom

• x3

I was a fan of the +/-. That Silfverberg Cogliano Kesler stack was great for that.

• Olhausen

@maxeernst said...

Given the trend of FD trying to change their scoring to make the product more palatable for the masses, I’d say it’s a safe bet +/- and PIM pts will be gone… But who knows.

Figures since I don’t do full 6 man stacks in hockey. I loved the 6 man stacks in baseball and of course they did away with them.

• Zieg30

@maxeernst said...

Wonder what they’ll replace them with. I really hope they don’t just get rid of them and let that be that.

• maxeernst

@Zieg30 said...

Wonder what they’ll replace them with. I really hope they don’t just get rid of them and let that be that.

^^^ Most likely outcome IMO.

They are somewhat bound to prioritize increasing traffic / users.

They have clearly deduced that simplifying their products helps them do that.

Only counter-argument that can be made is that differentiating themselves from DK is worthwhile… But what happened w. the baseball scoring seems to indicate that isn’t a primary concern for them.

Idk. Fanduel’s NHL product has always paled in comparison.

• draftcharts

RG Overall Ranking

• x2

2016 DraftKings FHWC Finalist

@maxeernst said...

Fanduel’s NHL product has always paled in comparison.

agreed…not to mention their tournaments were smaller and they did away with a live hockey championship

• ydomes

@newynewstrom said...

I was a fan of the +/-. That Silfverberg Cogliano Kesler stack was great for that.

+1 that stack was $$$$$$$$$

• pokerrob1970

DraftDay BLB Finalist

Adding Blocked shots or even Hits would be ok. Take aways and give aways would be interesting

• dude_abides7

The +/-, like it or not, was a way from FD to differentiate their NHL offering. I built my LU’s and game theory around the stat. To be honest, removing it eliminates one of the primary reason I played on the site. I actually used the stat to my advantage. If they remove it, of course we will all adapt. But that is beside the point.

A couple of FD guys reached out to me several months back (as I am sure they did many others) about plus/minus. My thoughts were that as supposed to removing it altogether that they should lower it to .5 points as supposed to 1. I saw this as a happy middle solution and will still allow them to maintain their unique differentiation from DK.

I am totally OK with the removal of PIM. It is a outlier stat that shouldn’t be rewarded. Some goon gets a major and misconny and gets 3+ points.

• pokerrob1970

DraftDay BLB Finalist

@dude_abides7 said...

The +/-, like it or not, was a way from FD to differentiate their NHL offering. I built my LU’s and game theory around the stat. To be honest, removing it eliminates one of the primary reason I played on the site. I actually used the stat to my advantage. If they remove it, of course we will all adapt. But that is beside the point.

A couple of FD guys reached out to me several months back (as I am sure they did many others) about plus/minus. My thoughts were that as supposed to removing it altogether that they should lower it to .5 points as supposed to 1. I saw this as a happy middle solution and will still allow them to maintain their unique differentiation from DK.

I am totally OK with the removal of PIM. It is a outlier stat that shouldn’t be rewarded. Some goon gets a major and misconny and gets 3+ points.

Ya 100% PiMs had to go! And i think i would have been ok with +/- down a .25 but even at .50 i think it is too much… but you and I have argued that point for a long time :)

• BlacknBlue

If they got rid of PIM I might head back next year. One thing that always peaved me about fantasy hockey (including season long) was how players were given credit for PIMs as if it were a good thing. A very small percentage of penalties are, “good” penalties. The rest are just players making bad plays that hurt their team. It is very dumb to treat that as a positive in fantasy.

Personally I like the +/- on Fan Duel. If they dial it back a bit that is fine, but I would hate to see it go away completely. It at least gives you something when your guy makes a nice play that leads to a goal, but is left off the score-sheet (like a good break out pass, or goalie screen).

• dude_abides7

@pokerrob1970 said...

Ya 100% PiMs had to go! And i think i would have been ok with +/- down a .25 but even at .50 i think it is too much… but you and I have argued that point for a long time :)

I’d be perfectly fine with .25 as well! I just like how +/- disallowed the ability for some guy with 300 lineups stacking both sides of the same game. On the same token, I liked that +/- prevented my need to do that as to cover my bases. It allowed me to make a core 4-5 lineups with the stacks I liked (basically, a ‘pick a team’ concept) and get full exposure across the GPP’s and leagues I wanted to play.

At the end of the day, I’ll tweak my system. But I liked +/- because it allowed me to get the coverage I wanted without having to play 50 different scenarios and 4x my daily buy-ins.

Has there been any official announcement that plus/minus is 100% gone?

• maxeernst

@dude_abides7 said...

Has there been any official announcement that plus/minus is 100% gone?

No.

• mberkowi

• 2018 DraftKings FHWC Finalist

Removing +/- and turning into DK without late swap would be a terrible business decision by FD. So it’s probably better then even money they kill it.

• mberkowi

• 2018 DraftKings FHWC Finalist

@pokerrob1970 said...

Adding Blocked shots or even Hits would be ok. Take aways and give aways would be interesting

I didn’t think a scoring setup would keep me away from a site, but you’ve found it.

• maddysdaddy0914

@dude_abides7 said...

So I understand, PIMS are an outlier stat, but plus minus is not?

Plus minus is very quickly becoming obsolete. In terms of player effectiveness it is virtually irrelevant.
    If is almost entirely random. You can have a player with a 3 or 4 point night end up -2 in 5-2 game and have him literally do nothing wrong to deserve a – or a +.

At least with PIM’s it adds some value to players who would otherwise have none in DFS.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-Gambler (NJ/WV/PA), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO) or 1-800-BETS OFF (IA). 21+. NJ/PA/WV/IN/IA/CO/IL only.