MAIN FORUM

Comments

• PigskinaBlanket

RG Overall Ranking

• x3

2019 DraftKings FGWC Finalist

• x2

2016 DraftKings FGWC Finalist

Most of my earlier work is deprecated and having some issues bring my code up to the latest release. Would love to have some help in advance of hockey season. DM me if interested – im sure we can work something out.

• gje627

Rather than a DM right away, can I first ask a few questions?

1. When you say your earlier work is deprecated are you saying that most/all your code does not work with the current Julia release? Or simply that certain sytnax, etc. is not recommended to use with the new release, but still works?

2. Do you remember the latest release your code is written in? I checked, and the current release is 1.2.0. The language is still pretty new (first release was in 2012) so the reason I ask is hopefully most of your code will be forward compatible and only a few things need to be addressed …. FYI: if this helps, here are all the prior major (non-patch releases) that I was able to discover ….

3. I realize that most prior releases are likely not maintained anymore, but is there any reason you can’t continue to use your code in an older Julia release? Or are there features in new releases you absolutely need (or would really love to have).

I need to mention I primarily use C++, R, Python, Go (golang) and Perl … but at one point I was using Julia too so I may be able to help with some of your issues; though I haven’t read the documentation for the most recent Julia release and therefore have no idea how different the new version is when compared to older versions.

As such my help may be completely useless.

• PigskinaBlanket

RG Overall Ranking

• x3

• x2

Not to bore everyone with the details, Sadly – its a bit different by sport (dont ask) My hockey code works through 6.4 – I hadnt upgraded to 0.7. 1.1 and beyond is a much broader change to the code and has been difficult for me. I bought a new machine and am trying to get my old hockey code running on it in 0.7. I have some deprecation and syntax errors that are probably more common sense to someone who is better at this than me.

So long answer to say – I think the old code will still work….but I need some help getting it to run effectively on my new machine. Simple stuff I think, just not something im super strong with. Ultimately, Id love to upgrade to the current language…..but thats a high class problem.

Might be easier If I try to go back to 0.6 and reinstall. hmm. Open minded

• gje627

@PigskinaBlanket said...

Not to bore everyone with the details, Sadly – its a bit different by sport (dont ask) My hockey code works through 6.4 – I hadnt upgraded to 0.7. 1.1 and beyond is a much broader change to the code and has been difficult for me. I bought a new machine and am trying to get my old hockey code running on it in 0.7. I have some deprecation and syntax errors that are probably more common sense to someone who is better at this than me.

So long answer to say – I think the old code will still work….but I need some help getting it to run effectively on my new machine. Simple stuff I think, just not something im super strong with. Ultimately, Id love to upgrade to the current language…..but thats a high class problem.

Might be easier If I try to go back to 0.6 and reinstall. hmm. Open minded

That helps, thanks.

Sounds like a computer issue, and not a Julia issue.

Windows, Mac, Linux/Unix?

If Windows 10, probably something as simple as setting your Environment Path correctly or even changing your Administrative Privileges; Windows 10 is notoriously bad at limiting Administrative Privileges ….

First step … Get your current release of Julia to work on your new machine. Second step, upgrading if that’s something you really want to do.

Personally, I seldom if ever update for a new major release (I do update for simple and necessary patches). For example, Python 2.x and Python 3.x are quite a bit different. While I do have both installed on my machines, I still mostly use 2.x, even though 3.x has now been around for a couple of years …. As a side note, I always think it’s best to wait to install new, major releases. Why? This gives the “community” time to identify and fix problems that are always inherent to major releases and, equally important, for the community to develop new libraries to extend specific and esoteric functionality that existed in an older release.

I can certainly help you get Julia up-and-running on your new machine (regardless of your OS). I’ve also looked at the documentation for older versions of Julia and compared to the latest-greatest revision. It’s nothing terribly different/difficult so in the future if you want to upgrade I can also help with that if you want.

So ….

If nobody else DM’s you and still need help let me know ….

Regarding, a trade or “work[ing] something out” in your original post ….

I’m all self-taught, and a countless number of people (mostly online, with real names and identities totally unknown to me) were always willing to help a “fellow hacker” out with advice and direction, and often times code snippets too.

Therefore, according to the “open-source” creed, where paying-it-forward is not only a requirement, but the primary tenet, I would be more than happy to help out however I can and wouldn’t consider accepting anything in return.

• PigskinaBlanket

RG Overall Ranking

• x3

• x2

Thanks. Let me grind on it some over the next few days and follow up. Thanks for the quick response…and yes, this machine is Windows 10 and creating some of my confusion. I like how you called my “user issue” a “computer issue” – as I am sure it is likely me thats causing the problem

• gje627

@PigskinaBlanket said...

Thanks. Let me grind on it some over the next few days and follow up. Thanks for the quick response…and yes, this machine is Windows 10 and creating some of my confusion. I like how you called my “user issue” a “computer issue” – as I am sure it is likely me thats causing the problem

:)

If you run from command line, I would HIGHLY recommend installing Windows 10 Ubuntu ….

That will completely resolve an Environment Path issue (which can be tricky) PLUS, PLUS give you Linux capability, which is far superior to Windows (I worked around this issue for years on Windows 7).

….

Anyways, just let me know.

No hurry. :)

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

Bet with your head, not over it!
Gambling Problem? Call 1-800-Gambler