INDUSTRY FORUM

Comments

• theoddsmaker

Only a week out and this seems like a pretty legit question now…

We don’t need the start joining any GPPs yet but can you guys please post something like h2h/non-guaranteed contests just so we can see any changes/pricing and start setting things up on our end to start preparing?

• LuckyLuc3434

DK offered WBC contests, and FD has already posted changed scoring rules for pitchers. I think it’s a pretty safe bet that there will be lots of baseball offered by both sites.

• theoddsmaker

Oh I know but there’s way more to it then that. Just syncing up content websites, having prices, syncing up their export files may have changed etc

There is 0 benefit to having nothing open a week out

• KindGuy

It’ll probably be up today.

DKs been busy with their two week long championship week I guess.

• manoftroy

• LuckyLuc3434

@theoddsmaker said...

Oh I know but there’s way more to it then that. Just syncing up content websites, having prices, syncing up their export files may have changed etc

There is 0 benefit to having nothing open a week out

For sure, yeah I agree with that. I’ve been constantly checking the sites

• Jaws1002

Yahoo has their baseball up for next Sunday’s slate.

• mwgdfs

I’m surprised there aren’t some huge GPP’s up already, hope they have some huge prize pools for opening week on DK (live in Texas, dont care about FD lol)

• RollinNolan

Don’t hold your breath.

• BDholla89

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #42

RG Tiered Ranking

• x2

2017 DraftKings FHWC Finalist

@manoftroy said...

“You go first.” – DK to FD

“No, you go first.” – FD to DK

Nailed it

• squirrelpatrol

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #22

RG Tiered Ranking

• 2019 DraftKings FBWC Finalist

• x2

2020 DraftKings FBBWC Finalist

I’d be very surprised if FanDuel doesn’t have something up by the end of today

• Roma315

It’s just odd last year they had contest up really early with some big events.

• Chip403

With golf dfs popularity on the rise, I would think it may hinder any significant gpp payouts from MLB right off the get go opposed to years past. But will still be some good paying ones, no doubt about it. I would assume we start seeing higher paying tourneys starting once Masters week ends, especially seeing the industry giants are starting a commercial boom for golf ala 2015 for NFL (although nothing will ever be that damn intense in terms of commercial coverage haha). Seems to be their primary focus for current time being though. If they can cement golf as finally being a very popular DFS sport to participate in, MLB high payouts then start up, it’s a win-win for the business. Usually once NFL ends then NBA…years past, the normal player felt that MLB was their lone option basically and primarily a dead season for many (not me though, love MLB and over past 2 years gotten big into PGA and even Nascar)..but creating the initial exposure to many who are getting feet wet with PGA, it should really help spike overall DFS play during this time of year for all sports going in what’s usually been baseball or nothing at all, and for the common person- I feel they may get aggravated/turned away from in due time.

• PigskinaBlanket

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #82

RG Tiered Ranking

• x3

2019 DraftKings FGWC Finalist

• x2

2016 DraftKings FGWC Finalist

Heard a radio ad for the FD baseball product this am

• Chip403

I’m happy that DFS is putting out advertisements again. I know many get annoyed by it, but hey..it only can help industry grow instead of regress in terms of popularity..just hope the advertisements don’t strike moronic governing heads who have no clue what they’re trying to intact in terms of eliminating. If anything, I just hope it helps business rise and just so long the main 2 DK/FD stays it’s strict regulated structure that they’ve followed since that BS scandal arrose which started the hot water..should be fine. More advertising can reach out, more new users, more money to be had in tourneys. I’m sure as industry progresses though, there’s always gonna be the select crybaby or two who try it out, lose their entire bank account and scream “conspiracy” 😒..none the less, should be a great spring and summer for daily sports leading into football season. To me, MLB is about the best.

• ChaosM83

RG Overall Ranking

Last year I think they got a lot of slack for coming out too early. Everybody was complaining about how easy it was to make lineups because injuries, and people named as starters that weren’t expected. That it was real easy to put together line ups with any pitcher you want and just about all the top hitters. They might be waiting for a little more clarity in some situations and rotations and position battles.

• Chip403

@ChaosM83 said...

Last year I think they got a lot of slack for coming out too early. Everybody was complaining about how easy it was to make lineups because injuries, and people named as starters that weren’t expected. That it was real easy to put together line ups with any pitcher you want and just about all the top hitters. They might be waiting for a little more clarity in some situations and rotations and position battles.

Agreed. NFL salaries a month early as well- super attrocious.

• savedatmoneyquan

Really want to know what J.B. Shucks price is opening day

• theoddsmaker

I’m seeing 2 main excuses here: GPP size and pricing

Neither one should be preventing them from launching what is now less than a week away from the first slate. Like I said, I get trying to figure out gpp size…just post non-guanteed contests now and you can take your time to figure out gpp sizes. I’m not in a hurry to just have an entry sitting in a gpp for over a week.

Pricing isn’t an issue in MLB. And NFL is way different since there are only 17 slates in a season vs 180 in MLB. So bad pricing has more impact there. Also, it’s hard to have bad pricing in MLB since it’s binary. You are either playing or not and other team mates availablity has little impact compared to other sports. Think about it…if Jon Lester is announced as the opening day starter and then is said to have been injured and now Jake Arrieta is starting instead, pricing wouldn’t be effected. Or if some unexpected player is in the starting lineup for another team…pricing isn’t reall effected since every player is priced out as they are playing. Giancarlo Stanton being ruled out for opening day doesn’t open up some giant value opportunity for a back up or other starters.

Just post some damn non-guarantee contests so we can begin setting up spreadsheets, starting research, and just getting into the flow. It’s free advertising too, gets people talking and hyped for it. Reading an edited rules & scoring page doesn’t have the same impact…and it can still change like it did last year.

• Shipmymoney

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #13

RG Tiered Ranking

• x3

2016 DraftKings FBWC Finalist

• 2016 FanDuel MLB Playboy Mansion Finalist

IIRC last year there were a ton of pricing mistakes regarding guys who broke camp as starters that weren’t locks to do so. So there was way too much value available as a result of posting early

• theoddsmaker

@Shipmymoney said...

IIRC last year there were a ton of pricing mistakes regarding guys who broke camp as starters that weren’t locks to do so. So there was way too much value available as a result of posting early

Yea but this doesn’t apply to MLB right?

MLB doesn’t have a guy “breaking camp” a week before the season start and stick out at min price.

Some guy making a surprise debut opening day for the Padres to face Kershaw isn’t going to be 80% chalk. There’s absolutely no way to mess up MLB pricing even a month in advance like other sports verses ONLY SIX DAYS away from opening night.

• draped

@theoddsmaker said...

I’m seeing 2 main excuses here: GPP size and pricing

Neither one should be preventing them from launching what is now less than a week away from the first slate. Like I said, I get trying to figure out gpp size…just post non-guanteed contests now and you can take your time to figure out gpp sizes. I’m not in a hurry to just have an entry sitting in a gpp for over a week.

Pricing isn’t an issue in MLB. And NFL is way different since there are only 17 slates in a season vs 180 in MLB. So bad pricing has more impact there. Also, it’s hard to have bad pricing in MLB since it’s binary. You are either playing or not and other team mates availablity has little impact compared to other sports. Think about it…if Jon Lester is announced as the opening day starter and then is said to have been injured and now Jake Arrieta is starting instead, pricing wouldn’t be effected. Or if some unexpected player is in the starting lineup for another team…pricing isn’t reall effected since every player is priced out as they are playing. Giancarlo Stanton being ruled out for opening day doesn’t open up some giant value opportunity for a back up or other starters.

Just post some damn non-guarantee contests so we can begin setting up spreadsheets, starting research, and just getting into the flow. It’s free advertising too, gets people talking and hyped for it. Reading an edited rules & scoring page doesn’t have the same impact…and it can still change like it did last year.

I would strongly disagree with your argument about pricing not being affected by who is playing. one of the most common places to find value is when someone is/isn’t starting. it can affect an entire lineup if its someone like you mentioned (Stanton) just bc it changes the order. and although the example you gave with Lester/Arrieta may not make a huge difference it would if its a team that doesn’t have two aces at the top of their rotation.

and then there are a lot of other factors that can change in a week and create a lot of value on static prices.

but I do agree that this is only one slate, so it wouldn’t be the end of the world to have one mispriced slate. although I would prefer to start off on a good slate :)

• flip4flop

I would be shocked if the pricing is not up by early this afternoon. No reason at all for them to delay it any further.

• theoddsmaker

Yes I would agree that once the actual starting lineup is posted if it is different then what we expected it effect players value A TAD.

But also…WE WONT KNOW ACTUAL STARTING LINEUPS UNTIL THE DAY OF!!

Would you agree that out of say NFL/NBA/MLB late breaking news has the least impact on players value in MLB?

Example 1) Le’Veon Bell announced Out. Deangelo Williams value goes WAY up. So if he was priced at $4.5k that’s an issue.

Example 2) Nikola Jokic ruled out. Juancho Hernangomez expected to start so his value goes WAY up.

Example 3) Giancarlo Stanton ruled out. Ichiro Suzuki expected to start and bat lead off. Sure his value went up from being a bench player with a 40% chance of getting a pinch hit appearance vs now getting 4-5 plate appearances. But I don’t think anyone throws up their hand saying due to him being $2.8k on FanDuel that pricing is so messed up it makes the slate have too much overlap and is now ruined, right?

• sethayates

@Shipmymoney said...

I’m trying to remember back to last season. I remember Trevor Story was a surprise guy coming out of camp. He started the season on a tear. Even then, he wasn’t extremely high-owned as most people had never even heard of the guy.

Off the top of my head I can’t think of any player last season that was grossly mispriced for opening day. The only example that comes to my mind was when Shane Victorino was like $2,300 a couple of years ago and started for the Phillies. The simple solution to that though is to not have guys priced that low.

• draped

@theoddsmaker said...

Yes I would agree that once the actual starting lineup is posted if it is different then what we expected it effect players value A TAD.

But also…WE WONT KNOW ACTUAL STARTING LINEUPS UNTIL THE DAY OF!!

Would you agree that out of say NFL/NBA/MLB late breaking news has the least impact on players value in MLB?

Example 1) Le’Veon Bell announced Out. Deangelo Williams value goes WAY up. So if he was priced at $4.5k that’s an issue.

Example 2) Nikola Jokic ruled out. Juancho Hernangomez expected to start so his value goes WAY up.

Example 3) Giancarlo Stanton ruled out. Ichiro Suzuki expected to start and bat lead off. Sure his value went up from being a bench player with a 40% chance of getting a pinch hit appearance vs now getting 4-5 plate appearances. But I don’t think anyone throws up their hand saying due to him being $2.8k on FanDuel that pricing is so messed up it makes the slate have too much overlap and is now ruined, right?

yes, I think we all agree that the affects on MLB are not as large as other sports in most cases. but in DFS if there are a sizable number of these small mispricings then it can make it a decent difference. I’m not saying that they should/shouldn’t post their pricing by now, I’m just saying there is a reasonable explanation as to why they aren’t.

and in regards to actual starting lineups, that’s not part of the discussion. some of these teams you can’t even create a decent expected starting lineup, but it will be a lot more clear over the next few days. not to mention any potential injuries/position battles/etc.

EDIT: I think the bottom line for me is, aslong as they post it at least few days ahead of time OR there are no differences in exporting/the process/etc then im fine with it.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).