MAIN FORUM

Comments

• Faceman14

This year and last I did ok the first four or five weeks of the season, and then I started struggling. At the beginning of the season there are always a bunch of lineups with players out and alot of 1% owned players in cash. After a few weeks the cash lines seem to go up and it gets tough. During the first two weeks of the season the DK $250 double up guaranteed around 120 entrants. Now it is between 20-35. With the high rake, how many players are still profiting in NBA cash at this point in the season?

• Jvanspro

They are beatable, you just have to be consistent in what you do. For me, I stay away from double ups and focus mainly on single entry 100 man 50/50’s. It’s not for everyone but I do very well in these.

• Faceman14

Why has the DK $250 double up decreased entrants by 80%. Did most people quit playing NBA?

• geardaddy

Cash lines will always vary from every 50/50 or double up day by day. I play both sometimes 50/50 cash lines are lower and than other times double up cash lines are lower. Typically the higher total entries cash games have lower cashlines, also single entry. So aim for 50/50s with 100-200 man in it. And aim for single entry double ups with 1000+ man in it. The multi entry larger pool double ups sometimes have higher cash lines and the smaller pool 50/50s have higher cash lines.

But yes they’re beatable.

• dtrain187

@Faceman14 said...

Why has the DK $250 double up decreased entrants by 80%. Did most people quit playing NBA?

People realized it’s mostly sharks and people that buy from lineup sellers. With the increasing rake it’s incredibly difficult to grind a profit these days and most just want to go for the flashy big prize of a GPP.

It’s certainly possibly to be profitable playing cash games, it’s just very difficult and most find it’s not worth the time anymore.

I gave up recently after realizing I was spending hours researching and building lineups, just to have a razor thin profit. If I had a higher bankroll I could maybe make it worth it, but I have a family and can’t really risk as much as I would like.

• Bigo1

3 options:
    -You have a huge bankroll and happy with low single digit RoI
    -You enjoy it
    -You give up as quickly realise you are losing, or if you’re winning the $/hour is not great

• KlairVoyant

RG Overall Ranking

• Blogger of the Month

It does get tougher, but in my experience it can still be worth it regardless of your bankroll size.

• muglore

Something that I haven’t seen mentioned anywhere is that the league operators have tightened thier player pricing, so there is a lot less value in each slate. This forces you to take higher risk on less reliable players and reduces consistancy in your lineups. In addition to increased rake, lower payouts and other reasons mentioned, it’s nearly impossible to consistantly cash in GPPs after week 5. I have expereinced the exact same thing as you, and have gone from a $200 player per night to a $15. Not because of my bankroll, which is still well over $1k, but because I have not gotten a win that has earned more than 100% since week 4.

• joeycis

• Blogger of the Month

@muglore said...

Something that I haven’t seen mentioned anywhere is that the league operators have tightened thier player pricing, so there is a lot less value in each slate. This forces you to take higher risk on less reliable players and reduces consistancy in your lineups. In addition to increased rake, lower payouts and other reasons mentioned, it’s nearly impossible to consistantly cash in GPPs after week 5. I have expereinced the exact same thing as you, and have gone from a $200 player per night to a $15. Not because of my bankroll, which is still well over $1k, but because I have not gotten a win that has earned more than 100% since week 4.

Is Fanduel’s pricing really that tight for normal slates?

• CUTiger81

To answer the question – yes. There’s still an enormous edge in cash games and last night was the perfect example of it. There was a very clear core that needed to be played and tons of the field missed it. Take the single entry $5 double up on DK for instance:

RWB: 65.25 – was only 52% owned on a slate with tons of value
    Durant: 72.25 – only 62% owned with no Steph/Draymond/Livingston/Zaza vs the Lakers (this one is inexplicable…he should’ve been 100% owned, I can understand not going with RWB if you wanted to go KD + 3 Heat/Saric and more balanced)

Must Play HEAT – only 8 man rotation in a good matchup vs ATL – there’s no explanation for not playing these 3 guys, Saric and KD in cash on DK last night.
    Tyler Johnson – 27.75 at only 4.4k and was only 41%
    Richardson – 45 at only 4.8k and was only 40%
    Mickey – 25 at only 3.2k and was only 38% owned

There’s nights where I feel like I made the right decisions in cash and they don’t pay off (which I’m cool with) and nights where I can clearly point to mistakes I made that cost me a positive ROI but if you enjoy the grind of figuring out the cash puzzle in NBA and aren’t looking to make a massive profit over night then cash games can still be profitable and enjoyable.

• Njsum1

@CUTiger81 said...

To answer the question – yes. There’s still an enormous edge in cash games and last night was the perfect example of i

You’re using a one day sample size where most chalk hit to argue your point.

There’s also flaws in your 1 day sample, with the Heat players. Waiters, KellyO, and Bam were equally as good plays as mickey. Tyler Johnson, and Richardson were the obvious value although Tyler really didn’t impress for the price.

IMO the right answer is that there is sometimes edges to be found in all types of games. Yet once you make the plays things still have to break your way.

Edit: I was heavy on the all those players you mentioned in my 20 lineups. above the field on Richardson, Mickey, casspi, Johnson, Westbrook, and Durant. However, I also had 70 percent Kemba Walker who for 7100 at home versus th knicks was IMO one of the best plays on the board. Yet the game was a blowout, and Kemba was off as well. was a 9 for 10 shooting performance from Frank the tank predictable? And when’s the last time a competent PG didn’t destroy the knicks. So while I had all the right plays, things didn’t break my way and had a slightly losing night.

• CUTiger81

@Njsum1 said...

You’re using a one day sample size where most chalk hit to argue your point.

There’s also flaws in your 1 day sample, with the Heat players. Waiters, KellyO, and Bam were equally as good plays as mickey. Tyler Johnson, and Richardson were the obvious value although Tyler really didn’t impress for the price.

Obviously last night was a unique slate but on the guys you mentioned – you had Waiters (6%) go over 6X, Olynyk (31%) over 4X and Bam (2%) 6X so you’re kinda making my point for me. Most of the time there’s a pretty clear roster construction that presents itself as optimal and it gets missed by a huge majority of the field (including me many times). I’m not saying cash games are easy or that there aren’t times where the chalk busts but over the long haul if you’re making the right decisions in cash you’re going to be profitable.

The question is whether or not a 5-15% ROI for the season is something you’re happy with grinding out. If not, then chasing GPP’s for upside knowing there’s more downside is a better option.

• Njsum1

@CUTiger81 said...

Obviously last night was a unique slate but on the guys you mentioned – you had Waiters (6%) go over 6X, Olynyk (31%) over 4X and Bam (2%) 6X so you’re kinda making my point for me

How am I making your point for you? You stated emphatically that there is an enormous edge in NBA cash games. I said that the edge is not limited to cash games, and I think that most days there is no edge at all. You were using a day where the “clear value” and chalk studs went off as your example, so it seemed that you based your response on your success of last night, not taking into account what happens most nights. Chalk busting, value not coming through, etc…If your a top 1% player you’ll always have an edge, yet for your regular solid DFS player the edge isn’t there in NBA cash games on a nightly basis. Yet it is there sometimes, and it’s certainly not enormous.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).