MAIN FORUM

• naapstermaan

Panda Grinder

• 2014 DraftKings FBWC Finalist

• x2

2012 FanDuel WFFC Finalist

BvP Challenge – (Stewburtx8 is the challenger!)

Just thought of an idea that I think would be both fun to follow as well as informative. BvP is sort of blurry area as far as daily research. At one end of the spectrum it is the only thing some people look at for picking players, and on the other end are the people who avoid it all costs. I’m sort of in the middle still. On the surface seeing a guy that’s batting over .500 in 20 at-bats vs. a P looks all sexy and “must-play”, but I know most of those AB’s came one, two, three years ago and sometimes even farther back, where no doubt that pitcher and batter have changed/made adjustments since then, let alone all the other factors involving that pitcher and hitter for that day. BvP has sort of become a one-time skim through for me or a tie-breaker on close decisions, so I wanted to do this BvP challenge for entertainment as well as potential helpful info.

The challenge:

- Someone else gets to pick their top 5 hitters based solely on BvP numbers for that day (Minimum 10 ab’s). This doesn’t have to be the top 5 averages or HR’s or anything, just your favorite 5 BvP-data hitters that meet that 10-ab minimum criteria. I have to pick the 5 worst hitters based on BvP (min. 10-abs) for that day.

- We would do this Monday-Friday for 2 weeks (10 days), and for only hitters in the 7pm EST lock time session of games. Whichever group of hitters scores more fantasy points (Fanduel scoring) over the 2 weeks is the “winner”. I’m thinking winner gets $100 for the 2-week series. This is more for fun/info but every contest needs a side-bet haha.

Each day we would post our 5 players in this thread (obv before lock time), and either I or both of us can keep track of the players Fanduel points per night as well as the running total.

If anyone would commit to doing this for 10 days I think it’d be really interesting to see just how big a difference the “best” and “worst” hitters based solely on BvP perform each night. First person to commit gets the challenge!

-Naap

• cjstetzer

considering…

• britdevine

• 2014 StarStreet MLB Playboy Mansion Finalist

I’ll do this, but not on FD.

Sent you a PM

• bowens1984

• RG Season Champion: NBA

Great idea, please post the results.

I’ve been up in the air on BvP and have learned more in the avoid range this season.

• naapstermaan

Panda Grinder

• x2

@britdevine said…

I’ll do this, but not on FD.

Sent you a PM

Not sure what’s wrong with FD scoring…we’re not like making full lineups or playing h2h or anything. Just 5 best vs 5 worst BvP batters per day using a sites scoring that everyone knows.

• Stewburtx8

• 2012 FanDuel WFBC Finalist

Sounds fun. I’d do it with FD scoring.

• britdevine

@naapstermaan said…

Not sure what’s wrong with FD scoring…we’re not like making full lineups or playing h2h or anything. Just 5 best vs 5 worst BvP batters per day using a sites scoring that everyone knows.

Yea, NM i misread what you were looking for, should be an interesting outcome…I say BVP wins for sure if your auto taking 5 horrible BVP’s

• rotokevin

2014 RG Bowling Co-Champion, CPA & DFS Tax Guru

• 2014 FanDuel WFBC Finalist

Without equivocation, I’ll play this. $100 is fine. I’m cool with starting today.

Edit: Looks like there are several takers ahead of me. Never mind.

• bowens1984

I’d like to see more of the middle range to cheap guys, take tonight for example Mike Trout is a beast BvP or not but I’m interested in a guy like Alex Presley.

I’d rather see a battle of Presley and his great BvP numbers vs a similar middle of the road talent batting in a decent spot in the order. Like Melkey Cabrera or Gregor Blanco type hitter.

• bowens1984

Freddie Freeman 2-14 off Gee tonight, thats a good one for you Naap, this challenge is definitely interesting.

• naapstermaan

Panda Grinder

• x2

@Stewburtx8 said…

Sounds fun. I’d do it with FD scoring.

Thank you Stew! Is the $100 for the 2-week series cool?

If you’re in we can post our 5 BvP guys for tonight in here whenever before 7pm est lock. For anyone that sees a mistake in one of our picks (under 10 at-bats, not in the starting lineup, etc.) feel free to point it out.

I’ll keep track of points if you want to as well.

• Stewburtx8

@bowens1984 said…

I’d like to see more of the middle range to cheap guys, take tonight for example Mike Trout is a beast BvP or not but I’m interested in a guy like Alex Presley.

I’d rather see a battle of Presley and his great BvP numbers vs a similar middle of the road talent batting in a decent spot in the order. Like Melkey Cabrera or Gregor Blanco type hitter.

Yeah, best bvp vs worst bvp of players $4k or less or something like that would be interesting. Mike Trout is usually a good pick regardless of BVP, so I’m not sure that proves much.

• Stewburtx8

@naapstermaan said…

Thank you Stew! Is the $100 for the 2-week series cool?

If you’re in we can post our 5 BvP guys for tonight in here whenever before 7pm est lock. For anyone that sees a mistake in one of our picks (under 10 at-bats, not in the starting lineup, etc.) feel free to point it out.

I’ll keep track of points if you want to as well.

Yeah, I’d do it for $100 for the 2 weeks.

• naapstermaan

Panda Grinder

• x2

@rotokevin said…

Without equivocation, I’ll play this. $100 is fine. I’m cool with starting today.

Edit: Looks like there are several takers ahead of me. Never mind.

I’m up for another round of this after 2 weeks Kevin. You got first dibs!

• naapstermaan

Panda Grinder

• x2

@Stewburtx8 said…

Yeah, best bvp vs worst bvp of players $4k or less or something like that would be interesting. Mike Trout is usually a good pick regardless of BVP, so I’m not sure that proves much.

I’m gonna pick my 5 based solely on the worst average of 10+ ab’s vs. that night’s P’s. Your 5 are totally up to you. I agree guys like Trout are sort of pointless so feel free to make it as interesting as you want!

• Stewburtx8

@naapstermaan said…

I’m gonna pick my 5 based solely on the worst average of 10+ ab’s vs. that night’s P’s. Your 5 are totally up to you. I agree guys like Trout are sort of pointless so feel free to make it as interesting as you want!

Sounds good. I’ll try to make it interesting. I’ll post my picks in a little while.

• naapstermaan

Panda Grinder

• x2

@Stewburtx8 said…

Sounds good. I’ll try to make it interesting. I’ll post my picks in a little while.

Yeah, we could wait ‘til all the lineups are posted before posting picks so we don’t have to keep editing them if guys are out. Like I’m picking Giambi and his 0-13 off Shields if he’s starting haha.

• facemelters

The problem with this is that typically players with good BvPs are simply good hitters in general, while hitters with poor BvPs are not. For example, typically when you check a BvP for M Cabrera they are good because he’s a freaking beast. Compare that with someone like (insert crappy player) and they are generally poor. Also, no need to play a head to head to figure it out, just monitor the results if the top 5 BvPs vs bottom for a few weeks and there you go. I’m sure RG could post the current seasons results so far in a couple of hours. (wink wink). That’s something I think we’d all like to check out! I’m with you though Nap, I just skim over them maybe for a tie breaker at most.

• alsmizzle

• 2013 RotoGrinders TPOY Champion

RG Overall Ranking

• $1M Prize Winner

lol, I made the same sort of offer (though a twitter condensed version in 140 char) a month or two ago…no replies. Mine was, you pick the BvP guys you want at every position for your lineup every day and I can’t have them in mine.

I bet I’d win.

• thebusch68

I would love to play gents, however really new to the daily game and this is were I get most of my info so I would have no clue where to find players that meet the qualifications.

• bowens1984

@facemelters said…

The problem with this is that typically players with good BvPs are simply good hitters in general, while hitters with poor BvPs are not. For example, typically when you check a BvP for M Cabrera they are good because he’s a freaking beast. Compare that with someone like (insert crappy player) and they are generally poor. Also, no need to play a head to head to figure it out, just monitor the results if the top 5 BvPs vs bottom for a few weeks and there you go. I’m sure RG could post the current seasons results so far in a couple of hours. (wink wink). That’s something I think we’d all like to check out! I’m with you though Nap, I just skim over them maybe for a tie breaker at most.

Good point in general but its not always the case, look at tonight a guy like Hunter Pence is 4-26 career off Volquez, I think McCutchen was pretty bad as well.

If you go just by BvP, Presley should have a better fantasy line than McCutchen tonight.

• naapstermaan

Panda Grinder

• x2

@facemelters said…

Agreed that the best hitters are going to have better daily BvP’s in general, but this series is more to see how relevant the daily outliers for BvP actually perform.

And we’re not playing head-to-head, the challenge is exactly as you stated haha, monitoring the results of the top 5 vs the worst 5 daily BvP’s for 10 days.

• Stewburtx8

@naapstermaan said…

Yeah, we could wait ‘til all the lineups are posted before posting picks so we don’t have to keep editing them if guys are out. Like I’m picking Giambi and his 0-13 off Shields if he’s starting haha.

OK sounds good

• bripc23

2013 PFBC Finalist

So Naap are you going to hand-pick good hitters who happen to have poor BvP that day, or the 10 worst BvP matchups on the day (i.e. 0-fer)? There is a big difference. I think Smizzle’s method achieves what you are trying to test here.

• bripc23

2013 PFBC Finalist

@bripc23 said…

So Naap are you going to hand-pick good hitters who happen to have poor BvP that day, or the 10 worst BvP matchups on the day (i.e. 0-fer)? There is a big difference.

I think Smizzle’s method achieves what you are trying to test.

• facemelters

Completely agree that’s why I’m saying in general. Maybe if there was a salary cap guideline like between $3000-4500 for this study. Fun stuff!

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).