CBB FORUM

Comments

• milktruck

Approximately 1 million games Tuesday. Discuss.

• eforsty

@gtw11 said...

Even though there were a lot of games, I was able to narrow it down and find some plays that I liked on my first foray into CBB. The Grind Down was a huge help, but there doesn’t seem to be much more than that for fantasy CBB info unless I’m missing it. What resources/statistics do you use to find pace/tempo for different teams(like Hollinger’s page for NCAA)

In the end, I got the -1 from Onuaku, but still managed to cash in my first CBB 50/50. I’ll be back for more.

Ken Pom has a lot of good cbb stats including pace/tempo. Statsheet has a lot of good stats (and its free) http://statsheet.com/mcb/teams/stats?season=2014-2015&conf=&games=&stat=possessions_avg&stat_type=

• winsome

up, down, up down…. too much variance. Tired of feeding the rake and treading water. Gonna hang em up at DK until they realize that this is way too many games (not likely but it’s a waste of time unless it happens so good luck all)

• cdestela

@winsome said...

up, down, up down…. too much variance. Tired of feeding the rake and treading water. Gonna hang em up at DK until they realize that this is way too many games (not likely but it’s a waste of time unless it happens so good luck all)

I don’t understand this line of thinking. If there are more games it should help a higher level player because you should most likely have tools to help you ID value through out the slate. I don’t know anything about Cbb but on large slates I do quite well, relatively.

• milktruck

Yep, though I think 20+ games makes the amount of time it takes to properly research somewhat absurd. In general though I prefer a 12-15 game slate over 5 games any day.

• winsome

@cdestela said...

I don’t understand this line of thinking. If there are more games it should help a higher level player because you should most likely have tools to help you ID value through out the slate. I don’t know anything about Cbb but on large slates I do quite well, relatively.

Large slates create extremely volatile variance. One can absolutely identify value but the problem is there are too many targets and not enough spots to put em. Add to that the fact that DK put the screws to the prices and the margin for error is razor thin. I broke even today mostly due to Winslow’s early exit but it’s just not worth it and the fact that DK is doing it intentionally makes it even less worthwhile/fun.

• Stewburtx8

• 2012 FanDuel WFBC Finalist

@winsome said...

Large slates create extremely volatile variance. One can absolutely identify value but the problem is there are too many targets and not enough spots to put em. Add to that the fact that DK put the screws to the prices and the margin for error is razor thin. I broke even today mostly due to Winslow’s early exit but it’s just not worth it and the fact that DK is doing it intentionally makes it even less worthwhile/fun.

Agree with this. I can see it in my results. I’m having a pretty good CBB season so far on Fanduel. On Draftkings, I’m treading water, and most likely down on the season. Their pricing is just too tight right now and leads to flipping coins a lot in my opinion on these big slates. Maybe I need to reevaluate my strategy…

You can identify value, which other than nights like last night with Roberson thrust into the starting lineup due to an injury, is usually trying to find guys who “appear” to be getting more minutes. But again, college coaches can be very fickle and bench guys or change their rotations for the smallest things.

Onuaku for example: Previous game against UNC, he starts and plays 27 minutes, finishing with 8 pts, 8 rebs, 2 blocks, and 2 steals. Last night against Virginia Tech, he doesn’t start and plays 3 minutes. How does that make any sense? We do not see what happens behind closed practice doors, and it’s hard to get any information like that. You had to see Mathiang starting just before the game, and then pivot off Onuaku for that reason. But I still would of expected to see him get 20+ minutes in a game they should win easily. Certainly enough playing time to make value.

• CBassXU

Yup I think I may be hanging them up on DK as well. I’ve had a great season on FanDuel and have donated way too high of a % of winnings to DK.

• btatkinson

@Stewburtx8 said...

Agree with this. I can see it in my results. I’m having a pretty good CBB season so far on Fanduel. On Draftkings, I’m treading water, and most likely down on the season. Their pricing is just too tight right now and leads to flipping coins a lot in my opinion on these big slates. Maybe I need to reevaluate my strategy…

You can identify value, which other than nights like last night with Roberson thrust into the starting lineup due to an injury, is usually trying to find guys who “appear” to be getting more minutes. But again, college coaches can be very fickle and bench guys or change their rotations for the smallest things.

Onuaku for example: Previous game against UNC, he starts and plays 27 minutes, finishing with 8 pts, 8 rebs, 2 blocks, and 2 steals. Last night against Virginia Tech, he doesn’t start and plays 3 minutes. How does that make any sense? We do not see what happens behind closed practice doors, and it’s hard to get any information like that. You had to see Mathiang starting just before the game, and then pivot off Onuaku for that reason. But I still would of expected to see him get 20+ minutes in a game they should win easily. Certainly enough playing time to make value.

I’m also having more success on fanduel, although I haven’t been there for long.

Onuaku burned me too, and I missed my cash game by 2 on fanduel. Some teams are just more enigmatic than others. West Virginia and Louisville are two good examples. Every time I try and pick who will go off in a UK game I miss the mark even though I follow that team religiously.

Overall though cdestela is right. On a 15 game slate there will be value somewhere, whereas on a 5 game DK slate it’s tough to separate yourself (at least it’s tough for me to separate myself).

• LegiaWwa

I might just stop playing DK because they don’t include steals & blocks, that takes away a lot of the fun, not to mention it limits the player pool. I love taking chances on a guy like Cauley-Stein in GPPs, because he can always surprise you with a 4 block, 3 steal game, which is huge on FD, but gives you nothing on DK.

• btatkinson

@LegiaWwa said...

I might just stop playing DK because they don’t include steals & blocks, that takes away a lot of the fun, not to mention it limits the player pool. I love taking chances on a guy like Cauley-Stein in GPPs, because he can always surprise you with a 4 block, 3 steal game, which is huge on FD, but gives you nothing on DK.

I’m not sure what the thought behind the DK three point bonus is either. Isn’t the extra point enough already?

• Stewburtx8

• 2012 FanDuel WFBC Finalist

@btatkinson said...

I’m also having more success on fanduel, although I haven’t been there for long.

Onuaku burned me too, and I missed my cash game by 2 on fanduel. Some teams are just more enigmatic than others. West Virginia and Louisville are two good examples. Every time I try and pick who will go off in a UK game I miss the mark even though I follow that team religiously.

Overall though cdestela is right. On a 15 game slate there will be value somewhere, whereas on a 5 game DK slate it’s tough to separate yourself (at least it’s tough for me to separate myself).

I think somewhere in the 8-12 game range is perfect. Obviously a 5 game slate will have a lot of overlap.

I’m not really complaining about the large slates. I’m OK with that. On DK it’s the combination of large slates and very tight pricing that are making it almost unplayable. I only continue to play because I love CBB and it’s still good entertainment. If I was doing this with the only goal of making as much profit as possible, I would only play on FD at this point.

DK has far superior interface and user experience to Fanduel, and many other things going for it. But the decisions DK has made on two of my favorite sports recently (Soccer and CBB) has been a HUGE turnoff. It’s why Fanduel is still my favorite site to play on.

• Affanculo_

Add me to the anti UV bandwagon. Took a player last night. It might have cost me the win in the Buzzer Beater on DK. Took 8th with Tobey only getting 5.5 FPTS.

Also, I won a “January Jam” ticket. Pretty cool, I thought. I was thinking it was a CBB thing. Then I start looking for a tournament, and the only “January Jam” stuff I find are Soccer and Hockey. Does anyone know if they have had CBB tournaments for “January Jam” in the past?

• WolfRake

The January Jam CBB event is on January 24th
    https://www.draftkings.com/january-jam-2015

• Affanculo_

So it appears that I’m an idiot that can’t navigate DK, lol.

Thank you, Wolf!

• milktruck

yeah I have found on FD the CBB pricing is loose enough that you can consistently find guys in the $6000 range capable of 30-point nights. And it really takes 3-4 huge games for someone’s pricing to go up enough for them to no longer be a value. Guys like Finney-Smith, Oubre, etc. have been outperforming their salary for weeks.

• TooBigYo20

Dk just needs to eliminate 20
    Game sets. Most should be 10-12 imo. Yes pricing is right, but it only sucks when there’s 34 teams to go through.
    Not to mention, they have more games tonight and lowered all the Gpps when they’ve been filling. I also will be taking a break from dk because why send us a CBB survey and not listen?
    CBb could be a great product if they just gave two shits about it but since not one pro or true high roller outside of sox22 plays, they ignore it

• elmore0631

What would be a target score on FD?

On DK’s I always shoot for 200 jw how FD compares with the added categories.

• everettcase

Buncha Goldilocks around these parts when it comes to DK pricing.

• TooBigYo20

@everettcase said...

Imo more pissed about too big slates when they can split them or not include random games than pricing. Though there are guys who I won’t name that’s price hasn’t budged and need to

• julieduke33

@elmore0631 said...

What would be a target score on FD?

On DK’s I always shoot for 200 jw how FD compares with the added categories.

4x salary is what I shoot for so 240… That is a high number to shoot for and lower will win a lot of cash games as well …. 240 will Usually win all of your cash games and cash in tourneys …Depends on how many games and what teams are playing but in general that’s what I shoot for… You will win cash games many times in the 220-230 range as well.. 4-5 game slates usually lot lower scores

• elmore0631

@julieduke33 said...

4x salary is what I shoot for so 240… That is a high number to shoot for and lower will win a lot of cash games as well …. 240 will Usually win all of your cash games and cash in tourneys …Depends on how many games and what teams are playing but in general that’s what I shoot for… You will win cash games many times in the 220-230 range as well.. 4-5 game slates usually lot lower scores

I appreciate the response.
    Thanks

• winsome

@everettcase said...

No problems with the pricing provided it’s not coupled with an outrageously large slate. Tightening prices and putting 30 teams on the slate is an intentional and manipulative manuever to drain bankrolls and increase deposits. If you can’t see it then so be it but I can assure you it’s a strategic move.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).