STRATEGY FORUM

Comments

• DatDerFranny

So what can we expect from Draft Kings this year for college basketball as far as GPPs go? I’m super-pumped it’s returning. Can’t wait for November!

• dylanb02

https://twitter.com/DK_Assist/status/1048230677798371328

• DatDerFranny

Damn. I figured it was a lock they would have it. Keeping my fingers crossed. If they spread contests for the CFL and Euroleague, I would hope they have CBB.

• dylanb02

Seems at least somewhat optimistic though…

• DatDerFranny

Yeah it does have a glass half-full kind of air about it, as far as tweets go

• DraftKings_CM

• DraftKings Representative

So what can we expect from DraftKings this year for college basketball as far as GPPs go? I’m super-pumped it’s returning. Can’t wait for November!
    For the record we have not made any statements, positive or negative, about College Basketball in 2018. The truth is that our coworkers are always working behind the scenes to deliver the maximum experience for our players – we try to keep all sports on the table.

Since the tweet seems to have resulted in some confusion, we think it’s best to clarify here. CBB has not been ruled out, it is possible that you get the CBB action you crave this fall. It’s also possible that we will not offer CBB this fall, the issues behind CFB and CBB are not the same.

We have not yet made any announcements regarding our plans, until we do its best to not assume anything. Once we know precisely what we are doing, we will be sure to share the details here on RG. Don’t worry, we won’t forget!

- DraftKings Community Team

• Stewburtx8

• 2012 FanDuel WFBC Finalist

@DraftKings_CM said...

the issues behind CFB and CBB are not the same.

Very interested in any clarification you are able to provide on this statement. O’Bannon case extended to both basketball and football. Football is the bigger revenue producer overall than basketball for the NCAA (NCAA more likely to fight back on DFS). So I am not sure why the “issues” would be any different. Thanks in advance for anything you can provide.

• DraftKings_CM

@Stewburtx8 said...

Very interested in any clarification you are able to provide on this statement.

Hi Stewburtx8. Your reading too deeply into our response. Every sport has unique issues that require their own separate decision process before we can consider adding it. Perhaps if you think of each sport as a separate product it would be easier to see where we are coming from. You wouldn’t want to introduce a new product in a business that you managed without first evaluating every angle, each product is not the same.

• Stewburtx8

@DraftKings_CM said...

Hi Stewburtx8. Your reading too deeply into our response. Every sport has unique issues that require their own separate decision process before we can consider adding it. Perhaps if you think of each sport as a separate product it would be easier to see where we are coming from. You wouldn’t want to introduce a new product in a business that you managed without first evaluating every angle, each product is not the same.

Got it. Thought you were referring to legality concerns. But it sounds like it could be a cost versus revenue decision (among other things) which would go into adding any “new” sport.

• stunt101

i guess i dont understand what the issues could be

theres obviously demand and how much incremental work would it actually be to generate the revenue stream

• Puma103185

@stunt101 said...

i guess i dont understand what the issues could be

theres obviously demand and how much incremental work would it actually be to generate the revenue stream

A lot of states are charging significant licensing fees per sport. NBA and college are considered two different sports according to these laws. This means to offer college basketball they have to pay these fees.

Combine that with the labor costs to run a sport that doesn’t have a ton of draw in fantasy it might not make much financial sense to do.

My guess is that is what they are weighing. I could be off base but it’s an educated guess on my part. I just don’t know if the rake generated makes the investment really worth it.

• tomac

@DraftKings_CM said...

What’s new about this product?

• dylanb02

.@FanDuel_Support will there be College Basketball this year?

@FanDuel_Support Oct 15
    Only time will tell! Stay tuned!

• kantiger77

It’s my impression that DK is kind of lazy on college sports right now. It’s already Wednesday – no thursday slate, no Friday slate, only one Saturday slate. Then finally they do other slates on Saturday and there is little variety to them among the game choices. So it’s not surprising they’re being coy about hoops. I’m not into FD but may be my only option as fanpicks is just painful to use.

• Stewburtx8

@kantiger77 said...

It’s my impression that DK is kind of lazy on college sports right now. It’s already Wednesday – no thursday slate, no Friday slate, only one Saturday slate. Then finally they do other slates on Saturday and there is little variety to them among the game choices. So it’s not surprising they’re being coy about hoops. I’m not into FD but may be my only option as fanpicks is just painful to use.

Yep. Also saw on Twitter the College Football $290 buy-in $70k filled 3 hours early. Yet this week the $222 buy-in dropped to $40k. But that’s classic DK decision making.

• jlowery73

2012 DDC Main Event Champion

• 2014 FAFC Finalist

• x3

2015 FACFC Finalist

Both FD and DK are dropping tourney sizes this week, is it because of NBA? It seems hardly anything is put into college football. DK seems smitten with a 10 game max slate and several smaller ones.

• bhdevault

• Lead Moderator

• Blogger of the Month

@kantiger77 said...

First off, I’m being neutral here. I don’t pay close enough attention to College Football as my state (Ohio) does not allow it. With that said, last week’s College Football thread, reached just 2 pages. That’s after a week of being on the forum, which shows the interest level isn’t great, at least here.

Sure wish other states would allow it. I know I would play for sure.

• DraftKings_CM

DK are dropping tourney sizes this week, is it because of NBA? It seems hardly anything is put into college football.

Yes, the excitement from NBA starting is a big factor that will be affecting all other sports this week, including CFB. The shock waves from NBA will be felt everywhere, that is actually rather normal – and is a testament to how much DK’s players love NBA.

Also saw on Twitter the College Football $290 buy-in $70k filled 3 hours early. Yet this week the $222 buy-in dropped to $40k. But that’s classic DK decision making.

We did not fill this past weekend, we got close to 95%. Additionally there are player liquidity sharing concerns that are affecting the entire DFS ecosystem across all sports this week due to the excitement of NBA launching (see above). Keep in mind that we are focusing on all sports, all contests – not just one sport/contest when we define prize pools. Like you, we would love all of the guarantees as high as possible because it means we predict we can fill the contests without any problems, that would benefit both players and DK alike.

We agree :-(

• tomac

@bhdevault said...

First off, I’m being neutral here. I don’t pay close enough attention to College Football as my state (Ohio) does not allow it. With that said, last week’s College Football thread, reached just 2 pages. That’s after a week of being on the forum, which shows the interest level isn’t great, at least here.

Why would someone come here to discuss college football when all the content is pay to play? There are plenty of current RG guys discussing college football in other places where information is more readily available.

• cubsflan

Well, I love CBB and really hope they bring it back right away. But I make a suggestion if its more of a money issue for DK is that just wait till conference season starts at the start of the new year. Then you wont have NFL anymore (besides playoffs) and thats when the more casual fans start paying attention more to CBB. Get better match ups as well and you could do just slates when most the games are which are usually Tuesday,Wednesdays, Saturdays, Sundays. Then have it for the conference and NCAA Tournament of course also

• DatDerFranny

Nice!

Check out @DK_Assist’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/DK_Assist/status/1055190626772443139?s=09

• TheRyanFlaherty

Isn’t the obvious that college basketball isn’t nearly as popular as college football (at least leading up to March) and on top of that there are hundreds more D1 basketball schools than football which need to be accounted for?
    Seems like a lot of work that may be seen as having minimal upside, without even factoring in NCAA or legality concerns.
    Plus college sports have always been less “casual” friendly since information, picks, projections, etc are not as easily accessible as the major sports.

It certainly would be nice to have around come March though. Don’t know if they’d bother with just that if they aren’t doing the full season though.

• DatDerFranny

@TheRyanFlaherty said...

Isn’t the obvious that college basketball isn’t nearly as popular as college football (at least leading up to March) and on top of that there are hundreds more D1 basketball schools than football which need to be accounted for?
    Seems like a lot of work that may be seen as having minimal upside, without even factoring in NCAA or legality concerns.
    Plus college sports have always been less “casual” friendly since information, picks, projections, etc are not as easily accessible as the major sports.

It certainly would be nice to have around come March though. Don’t know if they’d bother with just that if they aren’t doing the full season though.

If you checked out the tweet I linked in the previous post, they’ve stated that college basketball will be back from the beginning of the season. There are other tweets indicating such, as well.

As for the sport’s popularity, while it’s nowhere near as popular as the pro sports; save March, and a fraction of the popularity of college football; again, save march, it far exceeds the popularity of a lot of the contests they offer at draftkings, and i would imagine it’s worth their hassle. I’m sure they’ve done the math and determined by the inqueries received regarding CBB, that there is enough interest to make it worthwhile to offer.

As for the sheer number of teams, they don’t need to spread games like Delaware St vs Florida A&M, and frankly, it would probably hurt action if they did. They just need to spread reasonable games. On November 6th for instance, there is probably about 8 to 12 games worth spreading out of the 94 involving two D-1 schools. The following night, there’s only like 5 or 6 reasonable games. If they do that, I think it wouldn’t be as off-putting to a casual fan. And obviously March will bring in lots of casuals.

Personally, I enjoy that information is less accessible. It feels like more of a level playing field to me, and I feel more rewarded when I research something mostly on my own… I get how that might not be some peoples cup of tea, though.

• cubsflan

@DatDerFranny said...

If you checked out the tweet I linked in the previous post, they’ve stated that college basketball will be back from the beginning of the season. There are other tweets indicating such, as well.

As for the sport’s popularity, while it’s nowhere near as popular as the pro sports; save March, and a fraction of the popularity of college football; again, save march, it far exceeds the popularity of a lot of the contests they offer at draftkings, and i would imagine it’s worth their hassle. I’m sure they’ve done the math and determined by the inqueries received regarding CBB, that there is enough interest to make it worthwhile to offer.

As for the sheer number of teams, they don’t need to spread games like Delaware St vs Florida A&M, and frankly, it would probably hurt action if they did. They just need to spread reasonable games. On November 6th for instance, there is probably about 8 to 12 games worth spreading out of the 94 involving two D-1 schools. The following night, there’s only like 5 or 6 reasonable games. If they do that, I think it wouldn’t be as off-putting to a casual fan. And obviously March will bring in lots of casuals.

Personally, I enjoy that information is less accessible. It feels like more of a level playing field to me, and I feel more rewarded when I research something mostly on my own… I get how that might not be some peoples cup of tea, though.

Very pumped for CBB to be back, missed it alot the last 2 years. Its amazing time to play for the conference tournaments and NCAA Tournament. I agree with you on the size of DK tournaments here, no reason to go no more than 8-12 game slates and just try to stick to more of the power conferences and some of the better mid major conferences. I had pretty good success when they had CBB and the great thing about it is that I noticed college coaches tend to be pretty consistent on their playing time. So, dont need to do a ton of research. Just look at box scores and can tend to see who gets the minutes and all of that

• dylanb02

DK contests are live for the opener!

• DatDerFranny

Hell yeah!

Edit: Man I was hoping Nevada/BYU and Western Kentucky/Washington would be on there. Evidently they didn’t like the late starts.

Kinda surprised they didn’t add some closer projected games either, like Rider/UCF, La Tech/Wich St., etc.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Use our links to sign up and deposit on sites listed in this thread to get these bonuses:

• FanDuel

Get 1-month of RotoGrinders Premium for FREE (a ~$40value) by signing up through one of our links!

Learn More
  • DraftKings

Sign up for DraftKings using a RotoGrinders link & receive our DraftKings Premium content FREE for 1 month. That’s a ~$40 value! No DraftKings promo code necessary!

Learn More
  • FantasyDraft

FantasyDraft strives to put players first, with a mission to “provide a fun and fair experience for all.” To this end, the site has a well-built, easy-to-use interface and a the first of its kind in offering “Rake-Free” fantasy contests.

Learn More

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week. Our goal is to help all of our members make more money playing daily fantasy sports!

Bet with your head, not over it!
Gambling Problem? Call 1-800-Gambler