MLB FORUM

Comments

• KevinRothWx

RG Chief Meteorologist

Let’s start with a basic fact that you (as a knowledgeable DFS player) likely already know: Chase Field in Arizona is good for hitting:

- Last year Chase Field averaged 2.73 HR’s per game, slightly more than the average at Coors, and good for 4th highest in MLB.

- It’s 1000 feet above sea level, 2nd highest in MLB.

- The weather is generally warm, and good for hitting.

That’s great if you like high scoring games and lots of home runs, and it’s also great if you are a DFS player, but not everyone is on board. Mike Hazen, General Manager of the Diamondbacks, wants change, and that change will come in the form of a humidor. Hazen is trying to “…make sure the balls maintain consistency throughout the course of the season.” but the overall impact will be less distance on hit balls, fewer home runs, and lower scoring games.

So how does this evil magic work? It’s actually pretty straight-forward.

The game balls will be stored in a humidor at 70 degrees and 50% humidity. That is of course a much higher humidity level than what we see in Arizona on an average day (sitting at a nasal-drying 8% as I write this). The added humidity will make the balls weigh more, and thus create less carry and distance than a dried-out ball. The big question is… how much of an impact are we expecting?

Dr. Allen Nathan, (a guy who must be smart because he’s a doctor) did a detailed study on this topic back in 2013, and concluded adding the humidor would cut down the total home runs at Chase Field by 37%. That is a drastic number. If accurate, using last years numbers, it would put the average home runs per game down to 1.72 HR/game, which is well below league average and would place Chase in the bottom tier of HR parks.

Will it go down as planned? Well, I guess we’ll find out soon enough, the change is supposed to be implemented in 4-6 weeks, “before the summer months set in”. In the meantime… milk that park for all it’s worth!

Happy Grinding everyone! – Kevin Roth

FYI: I got most of the info for this post here: http://insidethezona.com/2017/04/diamondbacks-humidor-2017-install-home-run-fly-ball/
    … and here: http://www.hittrackeronline.com/stadiums.php

• Loveyduvey50

Roth Goat

• greenway53

Atlanta is actually 2nd highest

• britdevine

• 2014 StarStreet MLB Playboy Mansion Finalist

StarStreet MLB Playboy Mansion Finalist

Here is a nice article on it as well

http://www.hardballtimes.com/a-humidor-at-chase-field-whats-up-with-that/

• Cpjttogether

Humidors suck. Mlb should not allow teams to alter balls imo. Brady couldnt flatten the football. But i guess both teams use the same balls. But i still dont like it.

• krighton

Drill holes in the balls….that would be less expensive.

• inwhiterooms

Hah, good timing! I just read a similar article this morning:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/mlb/diamondbacks/2017/04/17/chase-field-humidor-reduce-home-runs/100583370/

Definitely something to monitor.

• kieff5280

Coors has been using a humidor since 2002 and yall still stack it

• Heterodox

What if the Diamondbacks don’t really want to reduce home runs by 37%. Maybe the GM loves the idea, but the owner hates it, who knows? Lets say they really only want to reduce them by like 10% or something, so they’re only going to use the humidor balls some of the time. Can they do that? Will we know when they’re using heavy balls and when they’re using normal ones? What if they are facing a pitcher who allows a lot of fly balls, but their guy tends to keep it on the ground? Can they pull the old switch-a-roo?

• kieff5280

I am sure the whole baseball operation wants to reduce the HRs…. They acquired all this pitching (Greinke, Miller, Walker) and it isn’t working out… Also it will be hard to acquire pitching free agents. Reducing the HRs is a business move on the part of retaining and acquiring pitchers.

• Heterodox

Home runs mean ratings and more fun for fans. Remember steroids? Don’t be a fool. They’ll try to “manage” it.

• kieff5280

http://www.espn.com/mlb/attendance

9th worst attendance in the MLB last year…. Winning games is what brings in the fans.

• Olhausen

When I was a teenager during the Big Mac and Sosa years I really liked the high scoring games. Truth is it destroyed the game as far as records and stats because I don’t think anyone will ever come close to 70 home runs again. It seems something has changed last season and this season because the ball is flying out of the yard again and the pitching is horrible. As a Dfs player I can’t stand it because even when I find that low owned player or team that goes off it seems a bunch of highly owned players are also going off every night. I feel it has made daily fantasy baseball much harder to win. It has already gotten harder due to tons of info and better players and high scoring every night just adds to it even more.

• MTro86

RG Writer

Are HRs really the problem? The Diamondbacks don’t have a team in the top 30 of the team HR leaderboard for the last 25 years.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2016&month=0&season1=1992&ind=1&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=5,d

The park is actually only 8th in HR factor over a three year period (108), but tied for second in total run factor (113),
    http://www.seamheads.com/ballparks/year.php?Year=2016&tab=pf3

Good pitchers have been successful there. They need better players, not a humidor.

The thing that’s really going to wreak havoc on us as DFS players is that we don’t know when this effect (if there is a sizable one..because there wasn’t at Coors) is going to take effect. Will it be over the summer, the fall, next year?

• elementasrat

This is sooooooooooo stupid and pointless just like the humidor in Coors. All stadiums should use the same balls in my opinion.

If you’re so worried about the weather effects, then just make the stadiums bigger to adjust for it.

• WidumBoise

@kieff5280 said...

Coors has been using a humidor since 2002 and yall still stack it

And we will CONTINUE to stack it as our VEGAS HEAVY models keep spitting those stacks out as hyper optimal plays each night a baseball game is played at Coors Field.

• Heterodox

@WidumBoise said...

And we will CONTINUE to stack it as our VEGAS HEAVY models keep spitting those stacks out as hyper optimal plays each night a baseball game is played at Coors Field.

Because it’s still an elite run-scoring environment, humidor or no humidor. It’s also much higher elevation than Chase, and with the dimensions of its outfield, is as conducive to doubles and triples as it is to home runs.

• elementasrat

Coors hasn’t finished below 5th in run factor according to ESPN since they started using the humidor. I will continue to stack Coors when it makes sense.

• DerekCarty

ESPN, RotoGrinders - Creator of The BAT, MLB Scout School Grad, LABR Champ

There’s a lot of confusion it seems like, as to the effect of humidors, particularly at Coors. Coors is still the elite park in baseball, but it was even crazier before they added the humidor. Just because it’s crazy now doesn’t mean the humidor didn’t do anything. It absolutely did. And it will have a huge impact on Chase.

• kieff5280

@WidumBoise said...

What is hyper optimal?

• kieff5280

@DerekCarty said...

There’s a lot of confusion it seems like, as to the effect of humidors, particularly at Coors. Coors is still the elite park in baseball, but it was even crazier before they added the humidor. Just because it’s crazy now doesn’t mean the humidor didn’t do anything. It absolutely did. And it will have a huge impact on Chase.

All these humidors do is take away the cheap HRs, which count the same for us as fantasy players… If a guy gets a hold of one, it’s going out whether it’s Coors, Chase, O.Co, etc…. Good batting and bad pitching has a lot to do with these numbers, along with warm weather. Also, the Rockies and D-Backs have had some good hitters in recent times.

• Heterodox

@kieff5280 said...

What is hyper optimal?

It’s like being very pregnant, or a little bit dead.

Seriously, though, read the article that was linked in the third response. It has all the information we need. Except whether or not the Dbacks will try to game the system by picking and choosing which balls to use and when.

• kieff5280

@Heterodox said...

It’s like being very pregnant, or a little bit dead.

Seriously, though, read the article that was linked in the third response. It has all the information we need. Except whether or not the Dbacks will try to game the system by picking and choosing which balls to use and when.

If there is bad pitching on the mound, I am still going to play it. You can’t tell me Pollock, Goldy, Lamb, aren’t good hitters.

• Heterodox

@kieff5280 said...

If there is bad pitching on the mound, I am still going to play it. You can’t tell me Pollock, Goldy, Lamb, aren’t good hitters.

Of course, but you do have to account for the effect of the humidor. I wouldn’t just dismiss it. I wasn’t sure what your point was.

• D0gg

@kieff5280 said...

What is hyper optimal?

Its when you try & sound smart but are really very stupid.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Sites mentioned in this thread

Use our links to sign up and deposit on sites listed in this thread to get these bonuses:

Advertisement

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week. Our goal is to help all of our members make more money playing daily fantasy sports!

Disclosures: All RotoGrinders content contributors are active DFS players. Contributor screen names can be found on their respective RotoGrinders profile pages. Contributors reserve the right to use players or strategies not discussed in their content on RotoGrinders.