Comments

• Cal

RG CoFounder & Admin

RG Overall Ranking

• $1M Prize Winner

• x3

2019 DraftKings FFWC Finalist

Changes to the 2014 TPOY Requirements

After much deliberation with the RG staff and some top players, we’ve updated the requirements for the 2014 Tournament Player of the Year Race. These changes were made to reflect the massive growth of the industry and tournament prize pools over the last year.

2014 Requirements:
    50 Best Scores Count towards the TPOY Total – up from 30 in 2013
    Minimum Prize Pool of $25,000 – up from $10,000 in 2013
    Minimum of 25 Entrants – there was no minimum in 2013 because there weren’t four figure buyin heads up games that could potentially hit the min prize pool threshold.

We’re pumped for the 2014 Race. It’s too early to read much into the standings, but McJester is already taking it to a new level this year. We’re sure the usual suspects will be gaining ground as the year rolls along, and that some new entrants will make a push.

• donkshow

That $25k minimum severely hinders NHLers. We get like 2 tournaments a year larger than that.

• DillingerFour

FD Rep - DFBMeeMee Champ (x2)

• Blogger of the Month

@donkshow said…

That $25k minimum severely hinders NHLers. We get like 2 tournaments a year larger than that.

There’s two tomorrow.

• kaclark

The prize pool is interesting. The most important thing should always be the actual score. If you finish first in say shot you LU is every bit as good as the guy who won the slam.

• lovesbases

am i an idiot, i can’t figure out how to see the qualifying results for someone on the leaderboard (just qualifying results without paging through all of that person’s results)

• donkshow

@DillingerFour said…

There’s two tomorrow.

Woops, I was just thinking about DK. Forgot about the Hat Trick.

Just ignore me.

• bestintheworld

BITW

@kaclark said…

The prize pool is interesting. The most important thing should always be the actual score. If you finish first in say shot you LU is every bit as good as the guy who won the slam.

Ironically, the Slam score was higher than one of the shot scores I saw for yesterday. Maybe it wasn’t the larger one, though, but I believe it still had more entries than the Slam.

• DillingerFour

• Blogger of the Month

@donkshow said…

Woops, I was just thinking about DK. Forgot about the Hat Trick.

Just ignore me.

Ha. I got what you were saying donk… no worries. DS did just throw out a Big Score in a few weeks. Including that and the two this week, I think there’s been 6 so far this year? Maybe I’m counting one extra one. There’s been at least 5. Obviously to your point, that’s nothing near the 10 to 15 NBA tourneys that meet the specifications per week. Hopefully there’s a few more this year, and it keeps growing. I think there might have been one prize pool over 25k for NHL all of last year.

I’m on your side with this one! Just trollin’ ya a little.

• donkshow

@DillingerFour said…

Ha. I got what you were saying donk… no worries. DS did just throw out a Big Score in a few weeks. Including that and the two this week, I think there’s been 6 so far this year? Maybe I’m counting one extra one. There’s been at least 5. Obviously to your point, that’s nothing near the 10 to 15 NBA tourneys that meet the specifications per week. Hopefully there’s a few more this year, and it keeps growing. I think there might have been one prize pool over 25k for NHL all of last year.

Yeah and for a degen like me that is all NHL all the time, it’s discouraging.

Oh well. I’ll just have to take advantage of the few that do come up.

• Kcannon

RG Overall Ranking

• 2015 DraftKings FCFWC Finalist

• x2

2016 DraftKings FHWC Finalist

@DillingerFour said…

Yea might as well just exclude the small sports with this because there will be such a small number of tourneys that actually qualify in the other sports.

• Putz

There goes CFB.

• iconfantasyJoe

seems kind of odd to crown a TPOY and not include all tourneys. Some of the biggest and hardest tourneys to win in the entire industry are under 25K prize pool. Eliminating other sports entirely completely puts an asterisk on the winner.

In theory someone could win “the shot” every day for the rest of the year and never be considered for the RG tourney rankings.

Let’s take tomorrows NBA for example. The winner of these tourneys: The Shot, shot 2, the dunk , the assist, the dribbler, The rainmaker, the rebound, and the swish will NOT have a score that counts toward TPOY? Doesn’t seem to make sense. These are all contests with under 25K prize pool.

Seems like the optimal number would have been 15K because it would include all these contests which make up 90% of all NBA tourneys.

• DillingerFour

• Blogger of the Month

Honestly, in my opinion, the TPOY should be for the most consistent players in the highest buy-in tournaments. It’s not something that every Joe Schlub off the street should have a shot at winning through $2 and $10 tournaments. That’s what makes it such a big deal. Maybe that’s “elitist” of me, but the TPOY doesn’t seem like such a big deal to me if the list of candidates that can take it down is 500 to 600 people. Also doesn’t help our argument for the “skill” side of the game.

• iconfantasyJoe

The rainmaker is a 270 dollar tourney that doesn’t count, the dunk is $100 entry, the Swish $50. So there are plenty of very high stakes tourneys that aren’t in play either.

Also, anyone who finds RG and participates enough to get tracked is not a schlub off the street. The settings also effectively eliminate the chance of anyone who doesn’t have a big enough bankroll to get recognized in an industry where more branded players is better than less.

• DillingerFour

• Blogger of the Month

@iconfantasyJoe said…

The rainmaker is a 270 dollar tourney that doesn’t count, the dunk is $100 entry, the Swish $50. So there are plenty of very high stakes tourneys that aren’t in play either.

Also, anyone who finds RG and participates enough to get tracked is not a schlub off the street. The settings also effectively eliminate the chance of anyone who doesn’t have a big enough bankroll to get recognized in an industry where more branded players is better than less.

I think an integral part of being the TPOY is having the bankroll to sustain a year’s worth of high level tournament play. Most of the players in the top of the standings have built their br’s from the ground up.

I can’t compete for the TPOY because I don’t have the bankroll for it. And that’s ok. I’m not going to ask RGs to make the TPOY easier so I can play too.

• fishcakeking

FCK

These rules limit the potential pool of winners to 50 people. IMO not good for rg or dfs.

FCK

• Cameron

RG Co-Founder

• 2014 FanDuel NFL Survivor Champion

• 2016 RG Season Long Champion: NFL

@fishcakeking said…

These rules limit the potential pool of winners to 50 people. IMO not good for rg or dfs.

FCK

FCK, What specific, limiting changes from the 2013 TPOY to 2014’s most concern you?

• Putz

@Cameron said…

FCK, What specific, limiting changes from the 2013 TPOY to 2014’s most concern you?

Smaller sports who don’t have larger prize pools are eliminated: Most of CFB, PGA, and NHL.

Another option could be to have the minimum be dynamic based on sport and keep it at $25k for MLB and NFL, $15k for NBA, $10k for NHL, and $7.5k for CFB, CBB, and PGA. At least until the other sports get more volume and larger prize pools.

Eliminate H2Hs altogether. Winning $10k buy in H2Hs proves little other than you have invested in a larger bankroll. Should have never been included in the first place.

• lilbitmawhney

@DillingerFour said…

I think an integral part of being the TPOY is having the bankroll to sustain a year’s worth of high level tournament play. Most of the players in the top of the standings have built their br’s from the ground up.

I can’t compete for the TPOY because I don’t have the bankroll for it. And that’s ok. I’m not going to ask RGs to make the TPOY easier so I can play too.

No matter how you slice it you either compile top LU’s or you don’t. Bankroll has nothing to do with anything. Gabey is not a high stakes player but he is a respected DFS player who RG employs to give advise. Seems rather silly that someone who they employ to give us advice could never win TPOY if he did play the lower stakes GPP’s (I know he is a cash game guy)Results are the true way to judge one’s skill level not bankroll.

• donkshow

@Cameron said…

For me it’s the “Minimum Prize Pool of $25,000 – up from $10,000 in 2013”. This puts NHL, CBB and lower stakes PGAers at a disadvantage and severely boosts those that are great at NBA, MLB and NFL.

NHL for example might have 10-15 tournies this year across the industry that eclipse $25,000. Whereas on DraftKings alone, NBA has a $100k tourney every week. Plus their daily ones.

I understand these sports are exponentially more popular, but it just gives us “niche” sport players essentially no chance at it.

• DillingerFour

• Blogger of the Month

OK, how do I put this another way? By the way, this comes from a guy who loves and makes most of his winnings from PGA, NHL, CFB and CBB.

I feel like letting in all of these little tournaments would be like letting anyone in the world qualify for the PGA Player of the Year by playing putt-putt tournaments.

Once again, the TPOY isn’t blue ribbon day at elementary Track and Field. Not everyone can win. Sorry.

• rotokevin

2014 RG Bowling Co-Champion, CPA & DFS Tax Guru

• 2014 FanDuel WFBC Finalist

@iconfantasyJoe said…

seems kind of odd to crown a TPOY and not include all tourneys. Some of the biggest and hardest tourneys to win in the entire industry are under 25K prize pool. Eliminating other sports entirely completely puts an asterisk on the winner.

So, I generally really don’t care about these leaderboards and whatnot, but why the minimum pool threshold? The way points are calculated, the larger pool contests earn more points anyway. A $2 micro-grinder isn’t going to be able to win this under any rules. To scale the leaderborad, you’re going to need to consistently place highly in things like the Slam.

The threshold that people are getting worked up about is essentially irrelevant anyway.

• lilbitmawhney

@rotokevin said…

So, I generally really don’t care about these leaderboards and whatnot, but why the minimum pool threshold? The way points are calculated, the larger pool contests earn more points anyway. A $2 micro-grinder isn’t going to be able to win this anyway. To scale the leaderborad, you’re going to need to consistently place highly in things like the Slam.

The threshold that people are getting worked up about is essentially irrelevant anyway.

This brings up an entire other issue. If I drop 380 and win the Shot that is more impressive than dropping 380 and winning the Slam because I am beating more opponents.

• hambazaza

RG Blog Program Manager, 2014 RG Party Beer Pong Champion

• Blogger of the Month

• Beer Pong Champion

i thought about this and was upset about it at first since i don’t play any events on a regular basis with a prizepool above 25K so essenatially it eliminates me from contention right off the bat unless I want to invest even more bankroll in DFS (not out of the question, just not happening at the moment) I already know that I have little chance of cracking top 500 overall ranking at the levels and volume I play at unless my skill boosts significantly over the next few weeks (probably not going to happen, I am what I am)

However, given all that, I think the TPOY should be a goal that I should strive for, not by winning $5 tournaments or placing high in them, but instead, this can be achieved by growing my bankroll significantly enough so that I can enter the slam on a regular basis with multiple entries and have a chance at it. Maybe I’ll get good enough where playing a $50 tournament isn’t out of the question.

The people that complain about this are short-sighted. I know I dont have a chance to compete against the top players because i’m not a top player, right now. Do I anticipate the ability to reach that level eventually with more experience? of course I do. But catering to the micro-grinder isn’t going to win rotogrinders any awards.

The rankings should be about the best of the best.

• emac

@DillingerFour said…

OK, how do I put this another way? By the way, this comes from a guy who loves and makes most of his winnings from PGA, NHL, CFB and CBB.

I feel like letting in all of these little tournaments would be like letting anyone in the world qualify for the PGA Player of the Year by playing putt-putt tournaments.

Once again, the TPOY isn’t blue ribbon day at elementary Track and Field. Not everyone can win. Sorry.

Valid points.

From the hip:

A) The TPOY score will be heavily influence by winning a $1M top prize (which of course makes sense…because d’uh, ONE MILLION DOLLARS :)

B) Niche/smaller sports are going to mostly be excluded which is fine, there is going to be a cutoff somewhere. The other thing to keep in mind is that even if the minimum qualifying prize pool size was still at $10k the contribution of of CFB, PGA, NHL, CBB etc to your overall score would be watered down because there are now 50 scores that are counting and even if all the sports outside of NFL/NBA/MLB were all rolled into one, would there even be 50 total tournaments of $10k or more? Which of course brings into play the question of why a $25k minimum since even at $10k the points are appropriately weighted…but there will be a minimum line somewhere….arrrgh!!! Which was here first, the chicken or the egg?

C) Points will be accrued every day by those finishing in the top 20% of the FanDuel Baller for NBA and the Grand Salami (or whatever the name will be) for MLB.

While that does favor a pool of about 50-75 gamers, those are high buy-in tournaments with big payouts…and it makes sense that those contests are well represented in the TPOY points mix.

D) The winner will likely come from a gamer who scores a boatload of points:

1) Hitting a big $1M prize

2) Placing in the top 5-10 of several live final events

3) Continually grinds out cashes in daily big buy-in tournies like the Baller and Grand Salami

4) Hits several large cashes in the big weekly events like the Slam, DK Crossover, special monthly tournaments, etc.

No matter how it is configured, the likely TPOY winner is going to come from a pool of 40-50 gamers. HOWEVER, we all have a chance to qualify for one of the big $1M prize contests.

• emac

@hambazaza said…

i thought about this and was upset about it at first since i don’t play any events on a regular basis with a prizepool above 25K so essenatially it eliminates me from contention right off the bat unless I want to invest even more bankroll in DFS (not out of the question, just not happening at the moment) I already know that I have little chance of cracking top 500 overall ranking at the levels and volume I play at unless my skill boosts significantly over the next few weeks (probably not going to happen, I am what I am)

However, given all that, I think the TPOY should be a goal that I should strive for, not by winning $5 tournaments or placing high in them, but instead, this can be achieved by growing my bankroll significantly enough so that I can enter the slam on a regular basis with multiple entries and have a chance at it. Maybe I’ll get good enough where playing a $50 tournament isn’t out of the question.

The people that complain about this are short-sighted. I know I dont have a chance to compete against the top players because i’m not a top player, right now. Do I anticipate the ability to reach that level eventually with more experience? of course I do. But catering to the micro-grinder isn’t going to win rotogrinders any awards.

The rankings should be about the best of the best.

Well said hambazaza…btw, crazy how your shoe came apart in that last game!

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).