INDUSTRY FORUM

Comments

• waiverwire

Sorry to keep everyone waiting so long on this. We’ve completed our review of this issue and going forward, FanDuel’s Terms of Use will remain the same regarding this issue (terms are available at: https://www.fanduel.com/terms ): use of any robot, spider, scraper, sniping software or other automated means to access FanDuel is only allowed with our express written permission.

If you’re interested in applying for permission to automate some process on the FanDuel website, please submit a support ticket with your request and we will provide further instructions. It’s worth mentioning that under no circumstances will permission be granted for purposes of scooping multiple head to head contests from the same opponent or opponents (or for other harmful purposes such as canceling out of contests against specific opponents).”

7/14 FD update Page 11

• tacoface

Are Pat Mayo or any of the major DFS hosts addressing this issue of mass lineup scripts and its implications on the industry on air?

• deactivated53513

@y2mulder said...

No. More like…..

You have 10 bingo cards that you paid $20 for. You would like to buy more, but there is no way you could mark the numbers fast enough.

The guy next to you has 1000 bingo cards. ($2000? Hell, he can afford it). But his are automated bingo cards where the numbers light up in a second. And he also has a bunch of guys working with him to make sure he doesn’t miss a Bingo on any of the cards.

Want your $20 back? Or you can just keep playing, and hear “Make a better Bingo card” from the sharks when you lose.

CHURCH

• Battery1975

I love dfs. I think its the best thing ever. Going to be a big hole to fill when its gone.

• CP1

• x2

2015 FanDuel NBA Playboy Mansion Finalist

@y2mulder said...

No. More like…..

You have 10 bingo cards that you paid $20 for. You would like to buy more, but there is no way you could mark the numbers fast enough.

The guy next to you has 1000 bingo cards. ($2000? Hell, he can afford it). But his are automated bingo cards where the numbers light up in a second. And he also has a bunch of guys working with him to make sure he doesn’t miss a Bingo on any of the cards.

Want your $20 back? Or you can just keep playing, and hear “Make a better Bingo card” from the sharks when you lose.

I love your comments. You are right on. But in many situations it’s more like you only have to get BING And everyone else has to get BINGO with 2 percent of the lineups

• soulstealer

I just started a trolling Gabey script. It should go live tomorrow.

• baseballs

this has really helped me today..

• russ1988

I’m confused permission for what now????

• realdeals

@russ1988 said...

I’m confused permission for what now????

You won’t be needing the permission if you’re confused after reading the OP…

• prpmgroup

@CrazyGabey said...

Bravo.

Agreed Gabey which makes for a Double Bravo !

This is a perfect analogy

• y2mulder

@CrazyGabey said...

Bravo.

Thank you Gabey, and everyone else for the high praise. Just trying to get everyone’s arms wrapped around this.

• Stonecoldnuts

Its just a matter of time before a huge dfs scandal happens….and I dont mean some water main breaking in a stadium and people thinking it was condia..the prize pools are getting too big for experienced programmers not to find an edge in the system somewhere. The paid pros will keep saying its only going to get bigger and better….but I see it getting worse and its depressing….

• cedric19

@BCalicoreDFS said...

I’m pretty sure the express written permission is meant for spiders regarding Google and other data gathering sites. Just a couple comments about some of these threads.

1. I don’t think people are scripting on FanDuel – I spend more of my time there and look at other pro’s lineups and there isn’t anything that would raise any flags to me (I don’t watch cash games though…)

2. I’m not certain that Max is a scripter either — or any of these claimed scripters. Are they all JS coders with experience with PhantomJS? Most of the data is loaded via AJAX which requires you to hit the DOM after the entire page has loaded and watch for socketed/polling data.

3. If there were scripters already on DK or FD, why don’t they just auto win the squeeze/moonshot every night with like 1k lineups — it’s only a 2-3k investment with tons of coverage if you do it right.

I have a feeling that the comment about express written consent is like what you see in the NFL about copying their games and replaying them. It’s mostly a legal backstop.

As far as DK is concerned, i’m actively exploring methods now that it’s allowed — i’m thinking the best stack will be a Node.js backend bridge to PhantomJS but not sure on what others are doing…

Reading this post made me want to quit all DFS knowing I’m playing guys like this

• liondog

You ain’t shittin’ cedric ! BCali speakin’ another language to my dumbass….luckily i’m so dumb i’ll STILL give it a go in dfs, just maybe focusssss on single entry gpp’s.

• J10295733

So it’s safe to say maxdulary did this with his 888 entries?

• CeeGee

• Ranked #47

RG Tiered Ranking

Why not just say, no Scripting, whatsoever?

Why would ANYONE be given permission to “automate” any process?

• CeeGee

• Ranked #47

RG Tiered Ranking

@shockermandan said...

I read through the TOS once, but where does it say in the TOS that they will selectively allow the use of scripts? I hope this isn’t a dagger into DFS from a legal “exploitation of the average user” perspective.

Could be a serious SERIOUS issue

• CeeGee

• Ranked #47

RG Tiered Ranking

@dude_abides7 said...

Seth, point taken…however, below is the last line of the automated email that FD sends to those requesting “script” authorization and the steps to approval.

“Whether you’ve ever automated access to FanDuel before (and any details you can provide if so)”

Seriously? Oh…so they are basically implying that they know scripting is occurring, we’re aware of it and looking for pointers?

The FCC and BBB should have a field day with this.

This isn’t going to end well…

• ChrisGimino

• 2015 DraftKings FFWC Finalist

• 2016 DraftKings FBWC Finalist

The issue itself is Unlimited Multi Entry. Cap entries at a fair % and this is an absolute non-Issue.

Idiots like myself cannot blame the very smart for being brilliant enough to develop an exploitation of unlimited entry. The concern for me is akin to the small manual investor vs. automated high volume trading “robots.” Right now, DFS is young and super users are few. Eventually, with the persistence of UNLIMITED multi entry … More players will join the high volume game and it will be more challenging to compete consistently.

See below. Software can help solve this, and scripts can automate implementation.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly_criterion

Cap entries for GPPs designed for us “manual” entry players, and we have nothing to talk about. The cap was 200 on a 95,000 player golf tournament recently. they should do the same for milli-maker or even 800 would be just fine by me. As long as it’s within the realm of possibility that a player could manually enter that many LU… The edge is small.

• CeeGee

• Ranked #47

RG Tiered Ranking

It would still be an issue in my opinion.

Like Dan said in his podcast

If I have 100 LU and you have 100 LU and there is a late scratch 7 min before lineup lock. The person with the script will have a huge edge on the person that doesn’t have it

• dfrandan

This policy update blows goats.

• Notorious

Lead RG Analyst

RG Overall Ranking

• 2018 DraftKings FBBWC Finalist

• 2013 FanDuel WFBBC Finalist

I’ll put my two cents in.

Most of my play is cash games, so while this won’t negatively affect me in the near future, it is an awful policy to say the least. To give permission to use scripts (which are a HUGE advantage) to only a select few is a slippery slope. It’s bad for FanDuel and it’s bad for the industry as a whole. With this much money at stake every single day, we can’t have policies that leave gray area.

The easy answer is for all of us to pull our money off of FanDuel and take our business elsewhere, but for those of us that play large volume, that’s not really an option. FanDuel is still the biggest daily fantasy site around (maybe not for much longer) and to get enough volume, we can’t just take our ball and go play on another court. What we should do is give FanDuel clear, logical arguments as to why this is such a bad policy. Complaining and saying that the sky is falling isn’t going to get anything done.

• ElwoodB

There’s going to be a huge scandal at some point. People are going to be looking for it.

I play 99% single entry cash games and that’s what I thought this was all about at the beginning.

As usual, big money ruins everything.

• hendry

@y2mulder said...

No. More like…..

if your bingo card is better you’ll win. just sayin.

• YoungFischer

This policy makes no sense.

Why would anyone ever ask FD for expressed written permission to use a script?

If you are currently using one, your best strategy is to carry on and plead ignorance about this policy if discovered.

There is zero benefit to proactively disclosing, asking permission and risk being expressly disallowed.

• Wrightime

Ive been saying and arguing this shit for almost a year .. The big boys do well in gpp’s . They are avg at best when you play them h2h or in a small single entry league .. So not only do they have a bigger br than 95% of us, but they also cheat lmao .. Just awesome

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).