INDUSTRY FORUM

Comments

• bhdevault

• Lead Moderator

• Blogger of the Month

1. NBA Suspends season due to Coronavirus
    2. Major conference basketball tournaments to proceed without fans: The Big 12, Big Ten, ACC, Pac-12, SEC, American Athletic Conference and Southland basketball tournaments will proceed without fans beginning with Thursday’s games, following the lead of the NCAA tournament in barring anybody but family and essential personnel.
    3. NCAA tournament will be played without fans: The NCAA made the unprecedented decision to hold the men’s and women’s basketball tournaments without fans because of the ongoing coronavirus crisis.
    4. Michigan, Ohio State cancel spring games: The Big 10 rivals are among the programs that have canceled their annual spring football games, as schools around the country continue to strategize around the coronavirus outbreak.
    5. Ohio to issue order preventing fans at “mass gatherings”: Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine will soon issue an order preventing fans from attending “mass gatherings,” which will impact the NCAA’s First Four next week at Dayton Arena, and first- and second-round games in Cleveland.
    6. Ivy League cancels all spring sports: The Ivy League is canceling all spring sports for the 2019-20 school year. The decision of the member university presidents was unanimous.
    7. 2020 College Basketball Invitational cancelled: The 2020 College Basketball Invitational, created in the 2007-08 season, has been cancelled and will resume in 2021. The CBI selects 16 teams that are not picked for the NCAA tournament or NIT.
    8. USC bans fans from all home athletic events: In response to the coronavirus outbreak, fans will be unable to attend home athletic events at USC starting Wednesday and continuing through March 29.

These are just some of the sporting events already affected by COVID-19.

I figured I would open this thread for any discussions and any new developments. Please, as always, no speculative posts, racist comments and keep it civil as much as possible.

• Gadnuk

@tmarohl said...

They just announced the next two races will be run without fans.

NAS running races without fans actually makes sense as long as none of the drives / pit crews / staff have an illness. Im sure they have testing kits in place if anyone even has a cough (which they should be doing).

• tmarohl

Gary Parrish
    @GaryParrishCBS
    ·
    6m
    Duke University has implemented a suspension that “applies to all athletic competitions and practices for the health and safety of all who are essential to these activities.”

So you can see where this is headed. We’re not going to play an NCAA Tournament next week without Duke.

• dsmodi

The concerning thing here, from a sports perspective at least, is when will things return to normal? No one has indicated a vaccine is coming anytime soon, so I don’t see things being much different a few months from now. Viruses don’t spread as efficiently in warmer climate, so this will likely tail off a bit over the summer, but then flare right back up in the fall just in time for football.

• Gadnuk

@dsmodi said...

The concerning thing here, from a sports perspective at least, is when will things return to normal? No one has indicated a vaccine is coming anytime soon, so I don’t see things being much different a few months from now. Viruses don’t spread as efficiently in warmer climate, so this will likely tail off a bit over the summer, but then flare right back up in the fall just in time for football.

We don’t know enough about the virus to suggest it could become a seasonal thing; if it does become seasonal and stays this virulent, then we have much more problems than sports. Life as we know it will change; however, if the virus stays the same (does not undergo mutation) a vaccine can be made. The problem with this is that coronoviruses are notorious for mutating frequently. This is the reason we can’t have a universal flu vaccine.

FYI: Coronoviruses are the same viruses that cause the “common cold”. There are different strains of them just like there are different strains of the flu.

It will take >1 year to see if this is seasonal. SARS, MERS were not seasonal but were not as globally spread as COVID-19.

• Wooden_Bones

Can the XFL handle a shut down? They might be shorter lived than expected.

• gridironguru99

RG Overall Ranking

This is likely a death blow to DFS. Can’t see how these companies can operate with the staff/payroll and overhead they have if ALL sources of revenues stop cold.

• yisman

NCAA just announced that all basketball tournaments are canceled.

• rourke441

i withdrew all my deposits from sites and actual bank accts. very serious situation we have

• Smallchimp

@rourke441 said...

i withdrew all my deposits from sites and actual bank accts. very serious situation we have

Yup one of my first moves today. Not going to lose $ being the one the hot potato lands with

• frugal

@rourke441 said...

Oh man…if you pulled actual cash out of the bank you greatly increased your chances of getting sick. Do you know how dirty cash is?

• bigez952

@rourke441 said...

This won’t even help anything as after the economy and world collapse the new form of currency will be toilet paper which is why you can’t find that stuff anywhere anymore.

• gje627

@bigez952 said...

This won’t even help anything as after the economy and world collapse the new form of currency will be toilet paper which is why you can’t find that stuff anywhere anymore.

Oui Monsieur … starting my own “Bidet Service” !!!

Gathered all my garden hose and going door-to-door right now !!!

KABOOM !!!

In the figurative … and not the literal sense. :)

• jjwd

@gridironguru99 said...

This is likely a death blow to DFS. Can’t see how these companies can operate with the staff/payroll and overhead they have if ALL sources of revenues stop cold.

THE WALLS ARE CLOSING IN!!! PANIC PANIC PANIC!

• JSteele

XFL cancels games. Will continue to pay players.

• ttc12

FD ticket coming up… nope. Any idea?

• JSteele

EPL having an emergency meeting. Arsenal coach tested positive. That leaves PGA, NASCAR and MMA as the only active sports left

• monarch

So is Nascar our only game? DK should resize that contest to a milly maker with it being the only event for ALL of DFS to play.

• hbomb57

PGA is gone as of 5 minutes ago will not even finish tournament

• tbird05

Look at the main page on FD. It’s only showing EPL and NASCAR. Isn’t EPL pretty much done now that the Arsenal coach tested positive?

• jimfred82

• Blogger of the Month

So, is toilet paper gone where everyone else is? I guess I missed the memo that this virus causes diarrhea…

• yisman

the DFS sites are taking a huge loss from this

fanduel and DK first had to refund losses for Wednesday NBA while paying out the winners

now they have to refund all golf contests and collect zero rake

and now a huge chunk of users are pulling out their money which not only means the DFS sites need to pay the balance, they also have to cover the withdrawal fees.

On top of all that, they have the usual overhead of licensing fees, paying hundreds of employees, etc.

Obviously airlines and other industries are also suffering, but this one hits close to home.

• yisman

@jimfred82 said...

So, is toilet paper gone where everyone else is? I guess I missed the memo that this virus causes diarrhea…

People are stocking up on all essential supplies as they prepare to be quarantined.

I suppose many people consider toilet paper to be an essential supply. I would rank it behind alcohol, but maybe that’s just me.

Yes, toilet paper is off the shelves all over the country.

Many posts on social media about it.

Masks, gloves, hand sanitizer, toilet paper, paper towels, bottled water, Lysol…

• Awon1

@yisman said...

the DFS sites are taking a huge loss from this

fanduel and DK first had to refund losses for Wednesday NBA while paying out the winners

now they have to refund all golf contests and collect zero rake

and now a huge chunk of users are pulling out their money which not only means the DFS sites need to pay the balance, they also have to cover the withdrawal fees.

On top of all that, they have the usual overhead of licensing fees, paying hundreds of employees, etc.

Obviously airlines and other industries are also suffering, but this one hits close to home.

Fanduel is probably done if these extend further. They already had issues with funding. DK can withstand it but they’ll need to go public later than intended, kinda like with Airbnb.

Travel, hospitality, cruises, small business, restaurants, vendors all screwed. Dfs too of course. And for what benefit?

• tmarohl

@yisman said...

People are stocking up on all essential supplies as they prepare to be quarantined.

I suppose many people consider toilet paper to be an essential supply. I would rank it behind alcohol, but maybe that’s just me.

Yes, toilet paper is off the shelves all over the country.

Many posts on social media about it.

Masks, gloves, hand sanitizer, toilet paper, paper towels, bottled water, Lysol…

I just need brandy, sweet vermouth, beer, frozen pizza, some chicken noodle soup, a carton of cigs, and I am ready to go :)

• Giez

I honestly think this has been in the US a couple months but most were sitting home, calling in, riding it out. I was really sick in JAN, sans a fever, but it was bad for a week+ … my wife had all those symptoms in JAN+fever…. It may seem we are just getting it, but I think we are > 50% thru this… Mayb hopeful but…

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-Gambler (NJ/WV/PA), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO) or 1-800-BETS OFF (IA). 21+. NJ/PA/WV/IN/IA/CO/IL only.