INDUSTRY FORUM

Comments

• srolleDFS

crazygabey was interviewed in the latest new york times hit piece. he said that what was happening between some players of varying skill levels was akin to rape (and pillaging). when someone loses $5 in dfs they end up without that $5. nothing else happens. they may have to scale their next bar tab back to $45, or maybe suffer some other inconvenience of being $5 poorer. when someone is raped, something much much more signifcant happens. the two are not comparable, and its not ok to triviaize rape by comapring them.

maybe gabey thinks they are? maybe he hasnt actually ever thought about the words he uses? i dont know but its offensive.

Link to article: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/06/magazine/how-the-daily-fantasy-sports-industry-turns-fans-into-suckers.html?_r=0

• kdriskell311

Do you have a link to the story?

Nothing having to do with DFS is anything compared to rape. It’s one thing to say it on the forums…

• einars

i mean i didnt agree with the article at all either but i think you might be fixating just a bit

• seth1374

Here is link to the article it is fairly brutal to fanduel and DK:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/06/magazine/how-the-daily-fantasy-sports-industry-turns-fans-into-suckers.html?_r=0

• dude_abides7

@einars said...

i mean i didnt agree with the article at all either but i think you might be fixating just a bit

Um…yeah, maybe. @SrolleDFS You do realize that the word “rape” can be applied in a non-sexual manner, right? The fact that he insinuated pillaging is likely proof of what he meant. Regardless if you agree, it can been seen as the appropriate usage.

“an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation:”

Example: the rape of the countryside.

But yeah, continue to skew this into the context that fits your argument and attack a guy who likely no longer here to defend himself. Well played.

• ItzJamesFTW

@dude_abides7 said...

Um…yeah, maybe. @SrolleDFS You do realize that the word “rape” can be applied in a non-sexual manner, right? The fact that he insinuated pillaging is likely proof of what he meant. Regardless if you agree, it can been seen as the appropriate usage.

But yeah, continue to skew this into the context that fits your argument and attack a guy who likely no longer here to defend himself. Well played.

Though what you’re saying isn’t wrong, in the sense of it being 2016, ‘Rape’ isn’t the word to use as a comparative verb. Could of worded it way differently and avoided this. I don’t think OP is skewing anything.

• Heterodox

@bluestooges said...

If your post is to be a serious note about being offended why not just leave the joke off?

It isn’t. Just a red herring to detract from an industry notable taking a critical stance, from a well established, delusionally self-interested troll. Just move along.

I would feel this way even if I didn’t support full freedom of expression and liberal use of metaphor to illustrate points. Srolle has not contributed a single constructive point to any discussion on any industry topic in the time that I’ve been paying attention, on this site or Twitter.

• srolleDFS

@einars said...

i didnt read the article beyond that. i knew when i wrote this post most people would reflexively disagree. dfs is about as boys club as it gets. the idea that you cant callously toss around the word rape as an analogy is pretty obvious in a lot of settings in the world but not all. i’ve known how gabey feels about successful dfs companies for a while.

• donnybasbl

RG Overall Ranking

@dude_abides7 said...

This is an open forum. He can come on here and defend himself any time he wants.

That being said, there are actually a number of good points made in that article.

I made a post with my feelings on all of this a while ago. I’m a relatively highly ranked, although fairly anonymous player, but I have to admit that as much as I love fantasy sports, my DFS days may be winding down.

But that’s my choice. It’s everyones’ choice.

I have no respect for consenting adults who lose a few bucks and then file lawsuits, but I also think the sites need to really to look in the mirror and admit that the competitive advantages that the high bankroll, elite players have, is what has caused most or all of the scrutiny around this industry.

Just my opinion. That’s all it is. The industry shills can argue with me all they want, but an opinion is what it is. Just remember, perception is always reality.

• dude_abides7

@ItzJamesFTW said...

Though what you’re saying isn’t wrong, in the sense of it being 2016, ‘Rape’ isn’t the word to use as a comparative verb. Could of worded it way differently and avoided this. I don’t think OP is skewing anything.

Gabey ridiculed the DFS industry’s favoritism to high roller, mass volume players.

Srolle attacked Gabey.

My point: If this article took the opposing position and Gabey somehow used the word “rape”, but took a supportive stance toward the DFS leaders then this thread would not exist.

Skewed or not….his intention is clear.

Of course, we should all go back to our holes or to “building better lineups” as supposed to giving any validation to the idea that SOME of what the author says has serious merit and truth. Because you know…the fact that he used the word “rape” is the main issue here.

• einars

@dude_abides7 said...

My point: If this article took the opposing position and Gabey somehow used the word “rape”, but took a supportive stance toward the DFS leaders then this thread would not exist.

Skewed or not….his intention is clear.

yeah, this.

• deactivated84892

He used the word in proper english context. Wasn’t offended. Seems petty to cherry pick that and spin it.

Interesting article that didn’t even need to get this far had companies acknowledged the concerns/questions he asked and issued a statement.

Kudos to Gabey and I support and share his very reasonable request to demand transparency from the sites.

• Lonnie20

Is this cause or effect of crazy gabey no longer being with grinders? Just curious. The article said they have been speaking for a while. I’m very concerned for the future of DFS.

• wikingfan

Despite the title of the article the very end of the article has this:

“At the start of the N.B.A. season, a couple of friends and I started a friendly league on DraftKings. Every night, we draft teams, watch the points accumulate and make fun of one another for our picks. On the first of each month, we pay one another what we owe. One of these friends creates N.B.A. player performance models. They help him escape the cynical demands of his job as a corporate lawyer. To date, I am down $350 to him.

“Yes, yes, yes,” Harber said when I told him about this league. “That’s how it’s supposed to be.”

• Heterodox

I think Srolle’s trying to co-opt the suffering of and speak for all victims of sexual abuse in a transparently disingenuous attempt to distract from legitimate criticism is far more offensive than anything Gabey has probably ever said in his life. There are no words to describe my disgust.

• Joe1Coal

““The idea that these sites exist so that regular guys can make a lot of money playing daily fantasy sports is a lie,” Harber told me. “FanDuel and DraftKings are optimized for power players to rape and pillage regular players over and over again.”

I mean, that used to be true. You do see a lot of the same guys in the top 5%, but that’s because they put more time into it. If a guy gets off work at 5, eats dinner, has 15 minutes to do a lineup, he isn’t going to beat guys (see: consistently) who work on their lineups all day and week.

• bluestooges

Here is a quote from the article
    “I came across a different sort of problem: a rapacious ecosystem in which high-volume gamblers, often aided by computer scripts and optimization software that allow players to submit hundreds or even thousands of lineups at a time, repeatedly take advantage of new players, who, after watching an ad, deposit some money on DraftKings and FanDuel and start betting. Both companies mostly looked the other way”

I just read the article and I don’t speak for everyone but I don’t find this article offensive at all.

If you google the meaning of the word

ra·pa·cious
    rəˈpāSHəs/Submit
    adjective
    aggressively greedy or grasping.
    “rapacious landlords”
    synonyms: grasping, greedy, avaricious, acquisitive, covetous; mercenary, materialistic; insatiable, predatory; informalmoney-grubbing, grabby
    “poor Tom has fallen for a rapacious gold digger”

Like I said I don’t speak for everyone but if you read the article It doesn’t even remotely come across offensive.

• buckdirty

Gabey doesn’t care about dfs. If he did then he wouldn’t have went to the NY Times. This is a newspaper with a clear agenda against DFS. It’s also comical for him to show a negative light on affiliates such as RG. Especially considering money generated from that has paid his salary for years. Also anyone who has ever followed him on twitter knows he spammed your timeline with his own affiliate link to whatever site he had a deal with at the time. DFS is a game. In most games there are winners and losers. Everyone playing DFS is an adult and knows what they are doing when they sign up. To act like adults need protection from these sites is silly.

• hambazaza

RG Blog Program Manager, 2014 RG Party Beer Pong Champion

• Blogger of the Month

• Beer Pong Champion

@bluestooges said...

Here is a quote from the article
    “I came across a different sort of problem: a rapacious ecosystem in which high-volume gamblers, often aided by computer scripts and optimization software that allow players to submit hundreds or even thousands of lineups at a time, repeatedly take advantage of new players, who, after watching an ad, deposit some money on DraftKings and FanDuel and start betting. Both companies mostly looked the other way”

I just read the article and I don’t speak for everyone but I don’t find this article offensive at all.

If you google the meaning of the word

ra·pa·cious
    rəˈpāSHəs/Submit
    adjective
    aggressively greedy or grasping.
    “rapacious landlords”
    synonyms: grasping, greedy, avaricious, acquisitive, covetous; mercenary, materialistic; insatiable, predatory; informalmoney-grubbing, grabby
    “poor Tom has fallen for a rapacious gold digger”

Like I said I don’t speak for everyone but if you read the article It doesn’t even remotely come across offensive.

thats not the quote that is in question

““The idea that these sites exist so that regular guys can make a lot of money playing daily fantasy sports is a lie,” Harber told me. “FanDuel and DraftKings are optimized for power players to rape and pillage regular players over and over again.”

• srolleDFS

@Heterodox said...

I think Srolle’s trying to co-opt the suffering of and speak for all victims of sexual abuse in a transparently disingenuous attempt to distract from legitimate criticism is far more offensive than anything Gabey has probably ever said in his life. There are no words to describe my disgust.

im not being disingenuous.

i dont think its ok to trivialize rape with stupid analogies.

• Joe1Coal

@srolleDFS said...

Rape is not used exclusively to talk about sexual assaults. While that maybe the common tongue, that is not the only use of the word that is permitted in the English language.

Let’s try a little sentence comprehension

It can be used as a noun, such as “Man, that guy is a rapist? Put him away for life!”

It can also be used as a verb twice in one sentence to mean two different things, such as, “Christopher Columbus raped and pillaged and then raped Native Americans”

It can also be used as a verb, such as “man, the slam is only 25% full at 6:59, this pot is going to get raped.”

Now..with that being said, would you want to use that terminology? Probably not. But, that doesn’t mean it CANNOT be used at all, unless it is talking about sexual assault 100% of the time…especially when talking about raping and pillaging areas in history. The New York Times has sucked for years and their terrible writing aside, it’s not that big of a deal.

Tomorrow’s class will teach transitive verbs.

• Heterodox

@srolleDFS said...

Even Einars isn’t buying it. What more do I have to say?

You trivialize rape with this thread.

• LegiaWwa

It’d hard to argue with anything in that article. I still play anyway for fun when I have time, but those are the realities of DFS today.

• MikeMineo

Why does anyone care what srolle is offended by? He’s already shown that he’ll freak out whenever any notion of criticism is said about the DFS industry. This semantical nonsense is a waste of time; it wouldn’t even be mentioned by srolle if the term “rape” was in an article that showed DFS positively.

Obvious bias can lead to such pointless discussions. The DFS boys club is amazing to the point where single words are nit-picked for political correctness, but only if it criticizes something they make money off of.

• tvsfrink

I can’t wait for someone to come in and say how retarded this all is. And we all know who it will be…

• deactivated84892

@Joe1Coal said...

Rape is not used exclusively to talk about sexual assaults. While that maybe the common tongue, that is not the only use of the word that is permitted in the English language.

Let’s try a little sentence comprehension

It can be used as a noun, such as “Man, that guy is a rapist? Put him away for life!”

It can also be used as a verb twice in one sentence to mean two different things, such as, “Christopher Columbus raped and pillaged and then raped Native Americans”

It can also be used as a verb, such as “man, the slam is only 25% full at 6:59, this pot is going to get raped.”

Now..with that being said, would you want to use that terminology? Probably not. But, that doesn’t mean it CANNOT be used at all, unless it is talking about sexual assault 100% of the time…especially when talking about raping and pillaging areas in history. The New York Times has sucked for years and their terrible writing aside, it’s not that big of a deal.

Tomorrow’s class will teach transitive verbs.

Inb4 “English definition doesn’t matter because it’s 2016 and Bill Cosby.”

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).