PGA FORUM

Comments

• whodat2

When: March 27 – 31 (Tournament starts on Wednesday)

Where: Austin, TX

Course: Austin Country Club | A par 71 playing at 7108 yards

Last Year’s Winner: Bubba Watson over Kevin Kisner

DK’s Matchplay Scoring:

Per Hole Scoring

• Holes Won: +3 Pts
    • Holes Halved: +0.75 Pts
    • Holes Lost: -0.75 Pts
    • Holes Not Played: +1.6 Pts
    • Matches Won: +5 Pts
    • Matches Halved: +2 Pts

Streaks and Bonuses

• Streak of 3 Consecutive Holes Won in Match (Max 1 Per Round): +5 Pts
    • No Holes Lost in Match Bonus: +7.5 Pts

Coverage: Golf Channel | PGATourLive

Google Doc

RG Golf Forum League

Happy Meal Standings

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – Golf strategy talk for this week’s contest. Post referring to last week’s contest will be moved to the correct thread. Any off topic posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted..

• hautalak

• 2021 Blogger of the Month

https://rotogrinders.com/threads/dell-technologies-match-play-pga-2441978?page=1

Hope this is it!

• whodat2

Yes hautalak! Thanks so much.

• Cooper08

• Blogger of the Month

The players listed below have never played a head to head sanctioned match play tournament.
    Eddie Pepperell
    Abraham Ancer
    Keith Mitchell
    Justin Harding
    Andrew Putnam
    Aaron Wise

• hautalak

@whodat2 said...

Yes hautalak! Thanks so much.

No problem but I’ll credit BIF as he had it last thread.

Getting “deep” into this now. Well not deep, just looking at the winners of each group last year and updating h2h records after the Ryder Cup. Anybody have an updated sheet after this one (https://adamsarson.com/2018/03/19/2018-wgc-dell-technologies-match-play-records-for-all-64-players/?utm_campaign=crowdfire&utm_content=crowdfire&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter#25727268-tw#1521491715839)? Otherwise I just added the Ryder Cup h2h and last years’ WGC records after what was already there.

Based on records I like Poulter, Rory, Casey, Day, Kuchar, and maybe just maybe Phil. I’m sure I won’t be able to play most of them together so I’ll have to do some picking and choosing…

• BrianVT

Some key points from last year:

“You want the final 4, plus 2 that play with them in the final 8. I don’t think seeds really matter except high is expensive.”

“Pick 1 guy from each corner of the brackets you like to win or go far and then find 2 guys that fit salary wise who won’t meet any of my picks until Round of 8 Saturday afternoon”

“If you are trying to figure out the number of ‘good’ lineups with exactly 1 person per group:
    (16 choose 6) * (4^6) = 8008 * 4096 = 32,800,768 lineups”

“Also the fact that there is an ENORMOUS possibility that 4/4 might be technically impossible”

• whodat2

Last year, the strategy talked about was to have your 6 golfers in different brackets, where they couldn’t meet each other until the later stages of the tournament. I got 0 through, and of course didn’t cash. If I would’ve gotten 2 through the group stage, I would have cashed my double ups easy. Might just hammer 2 groups with my 6 for cash this year.

• Cooper08

• Blogger of the Month

Just my opinion but the below players have the most incentive this week. Anyone not already invited to the Masters who places in the T50 world golf rankings receives an invitation at the completion of the WGC Match Play. What type of finish it will take to complete this will depend upon player current ranking and I honestly have no idea if it needs to be T16, T8, T4. What’s cool about this is that all the eligible players, although highly unlikely, could make it to the round of 16 since they will all be in different groups of four.

Shane Lowry 48
    Justin Harding 49
    Benny An 51
    Andrew Putnam 53
    Jim Furyk 54
    Chez Reavie 57
    Abraham Ancer 61
    Russell Knox 62
    Tom Lewis 63
    Lee Westwood 65
    Luke List 69

Players already qualified for Masters who if they do poorly could help the players above get inside T50.
    J.B. Holmes 45
    Brandt Snedeker 46
    Thorbjorn Olesen 47
    Kevin Kisner 50

• Pbasniper

@hautalak said...

No problem but I’ll credit BIF as he had it last thread.

Getting “deep” into this now. Well not deep, just looking at the winners of each group last year and updating h2h records after the Ryder Cup. Anybody have an updated sheet after this one (https://adamsarson.com/2018/03/19/2018-wgc-dell-technologies-match-play-records-for-all-64-players/?utm_campaign=crowdfire&utm_content=crowdfire&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter#25727268-tw#1521491715839)? Otherwise I just added the Ryder Cup h2h and last years’ WGC records after what was already there.

Based on records I like Poulter, Rory, Casey, Day, Kuchar, and maybe just maybe Phil. I’m sure I won’t be able to play most of them together so I’ll have to do some picking and choosing…

Here is the 2019 version of that link FYI.

https://adamsarson.com/2019/03/25/2019-wgc-dell-technologies-match-play-records-for-all-64-players/#more-15390

• hautalak

@Pbasniper said...

Here is the 2019 version of that link FYI.

https://adamsarson.com/2019/03/25/2019-wgc-dell-technologies-match-play-records-for-all-64-players/#more-15390

Thanks! Couldn’t seem to dig that one up unless it was posted recently.

• Pbasniper

@hautalak said...

Thanks! Couldn’t seem to dig that one up unless it was posted recently.

45 minutes ago on Twitter he posted, only reason I had it.

• hautalak

I still need to be more “random” but this helps to see just who “can’t perform” in these conditions. Grace, Leishman, and List are my current “red flags”… more will need to be added but that exercise needs to wait until the bracket comes out!

• Pbasniper

Guess it will be slow in here until brackets come out. SJ Im is confirmed for Corales as I guess he doesn’t believe in a week off, should be some amazing chalk for him in cash and GPP’s.

• Cooper08

• Blogger of the Month

@Pbasniper said...

Guess it will be slow in here until brackets come out. SJ Im is confirmed for Corales as I guess he doesn’t believe in a week off, should be some amazing chalk for him in cash and GPP’s.

A win for Im could potentially move him into the T50 world golf rankings and Masters invite. Would depend on how players close to cutline perform in the match play but a win is needed. A second place finish would be extremely close but a third has no chance.

• BIF

@Cooper08 said...

Shane Lowry 48
    Justin Harding 49
    Benny An 51
    Andrew Putnam 53
    Jim Furyk 54
    Chez Reavie 57
    Abraham Ancer 61
    Russell Knox 62
    Tom Lewis 63
    Lee Westwood 65
    Luke List 69

Most of these guys have terrible or little/no Match Play experience – gonna be interesting to see what groups they end up in.

• BIF

@hautalak said...

I still need to be more “random” but this helps to see just who “can’t perform” in these conditions. Grace, Leishman, and List are my current “red flags”… more will need to be added but that exercise needs to wait until the bracket comes out!

List being bad historically in Match Play should not be a surprise as he has failed to make clutch putts throughout his career – to a lesser extent and from a bigger sample, the same could be said for Grace, Leishman and a few others on the “less than .500” career Match Play record guys.

• Wander_Bread

Love this week, more from a better perspective than DFS, but will do both obviously.

Do we go with a full fade of Reed regardless of grouping? Obviously he is quite the grinder and has really solid H2H history, but with the way he is playing and bringing in Leadbetter I’m not sure he’s worth playing.

• Cincinnatibuck

Happy Meal Cup standing have ben updated. We have two events this week that count in the Happy Meal, WGC Match Play and Corales Puntacana.

• hautalak

@BIF said...

List being bad historically in Match Play should not be a surprise as he has failed to make clutch putts throughout his career – to a lesser extent and from a bigger sample, the same could be said for Grace, Leishman and a few others on the “less than .500” career Match Play record guys.

Didn’t dig into the reasons behind it but makes perfect sense, especially in List’s case!!!

No Noren for the putting hero. I know you need the bracket but any “low” guys you are looking into right now? They aren’t “low” but Kuchar and Poulter look good in their range. Hope they aren’t near one another on the bracket…

• byo34

Bogey Avoidance and birdie or better seems like a good stat to look at. Especially comparing to others in the same group. Won’t prioritize them but I can see the use in looking at them.

But ill end up taking Ben An regardless.. 😁

• Cooper08

• Blogger of the Month

IF I am looking at correctly, below will be the top players in each quad side and half side of bracket. Left side seems to be far heavier……

Quad Top Left
    DJ
    Watson
    Rahm
    Schauffelle

Quad Bottom Left
    JT
    Tiger
    Finau
    Rory

Quad Top Right
    Rose
    Reed
    Fleetwood
    Molinari

Quad Bottom Right
    DeChambeau
    Day
    Casey
    Koepka

• byo34

@Cincinnatibuck said...

Happy Meal Cup standing have ben updated. We have two events this week that count in the Happy Meal, WGC Match Play and Corales Puntacana.

Woo hoo that win brought me to 3rd! Fully ready to see it drop from here on out!!!

• TrustinthePlan

@Cooper08 said...

Shane Lowry 48
    Justin Harding 49
    Benny An 51
    Andrew Putnam 53
    Jim Furyk 54
    Chez Reavie 57
    Abraham Ancer 61
    Russell Knox 62
    Tom Lewis 63
    Lee Westwood 65
    Luke List 69

I was already looking at Benny An and Furyk, both I think fit the course and will be extra motivated. Will be interesting to see how the pricing matches out and what quad of the bracket they end up in.

• Jeddy3

Hmm it might be a good idea to weigh SG:P this week since you need to have some ice water in your veins to win your match.

• hautalak

Well I’m sure BIF saw this but figured I’d share since I’m looking at all things golf. It’s about Garrigus (http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/26332994/pga-tour-suspends-garrigus-positive-test).

• Driven2ThEdge

@BrianVT said...

Some key points from last year:

“You want the final 4, plus 2 that play with them in the final 8. I don’t think seeds really matter except high is expensive.”

“Pick 1 guy from each corner of the brackets you like to win or go far and then find 2 guys that fit salary wise who won’t meet any of my picks until Round of 8 Saturday afternoon”

“If you are trying to figure out the number of ‘good’ lineups with exactly 1 person per group:
    (16 choose 6) * (4^6) = 8008 * 4096 = 32,800,768 lineups”

“Also the fact that there is an ENORMOUS possibility that 4/4 might be technically impossible”

Ah, I remember this convo from last year. Good discussion and I still agree with all the points listed here.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).