PGA FORUM

Comments

• whodat2

When: March 24 – 28 (Tournament starts on Wednesday)

Where: Austin, TX

Course: Austin Country Club | A par 71 playing at 7108 yards

Last Year’s Winner: Covid

DK’s Matchplay Scoring:

Per Hole Scoring

• Holes Won: +3 Pts
    • Holes Halved: +0.75 Pts
    • Holes Lost: -0.75 Pts
    • Holes Not Played: +1.6 Pts
    • Matches Won: +5 Pts
    • Matches Halved: +2 Pts

Streaks and Bonuses

• Streak of 3 Consecutive Holes Won in Match (Max 1 Per Round): +5 Pts
    • No Holes Lost in Match Bonus: +7.5 Pts

Coverage: Golf Channel | PGATourLive

RG Golf Forum League

Happy Meal Cup 2021 Standings

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – Golf strategy talk for this week’s contest. Post referring to last week’s contest will be moved to the correct thread. Any off topic posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted..

• byo34

Winning lineup here last time it was played was Kisner, Kuchar, Sergio, Tiger, Louis and Molinari.

I know this because I had that lineup… except for one… the winner Kisner.. I went Billy Ho over him instead and cost myself about 25k.. Oops!

I love this event as a viewer and DFS player.. I love how there is an immediate edge, as at least 15-20% of the field is eliminated because they don’t know how the brackets work or don’t care to look.

Bring it on!!!

• mitchsnyderdfw

The qualifier list in 69 players, but only 64 spots.

Looks like these 5 guys will sneak in due to injury, COVID, or just guys not wanting to play.

65 Ian Poulter (England)
    66 Erik van Rooyen (South Africa)
    67 Adam Long (USA)
    68 J.T. Poston (USA)
    69 Dylan Frittelli (South Africa)

Fritelli has some good history on this course, but coming off a MC. Will have to wait and see which Pod he gets placed in, but as the last man in he should get placed with DJ right?

• monarch

I think it is a random draw after the top sixteen are placed into their own brackets/pods

• BIF

@mitchsnyderdfw said...

The qualifier list in 69 players, but only 64 spots.

Looks like these 5 guys will sneak in due to injury, COVID, or just guys not wanting to play.

65 Ian Poulter (England)
    66 Erik van Rooyen (South Africa)
    67 Adam Long (USA)
    68 J.T. Poston (USA)
    69 Dylan Frittelli (South Africa)

Fritelli has some good history on this course, but coming off a MC. Will have to wait and see which Pod he gets placed in, but as the last man in he should get placed with DJ right?

Koepka, Rose, Scott, Woodland and Tiger are the 5 guys in Top 64 who are not playing.

• BIF

@monarch said...

I think it is a random draw after the top sixteen are placed into their own brackets/pods

Correct

Top 16 (A player) are seeded as per that then a random draw of the 17-32 ranked player for the B spot in each group followed by the 33-48 for C Player and 49-64 for the D Player.

Matches usually are played where:
    Day 1. A vs D and B vs C
    Day 2. A vs C and B vs D
    Day 3. A vs B and C vs D

• BIF

@mitchsnyderdfw said...

Fritelli has some good history on this course, but coming off a MC.

He went 1-2 here in 2019 Match Play

Lost to Xander and Garcia
    Beat Shubak Sharma

If you mean history from college days, I’d throw that out as he turned pro in 2012 and the course was pretty significantly renovated in 2015 prior to hosting the Match Play for the first time in 2016.

Fun fact: I know the architect (Rod Whitman) who did the renovation at Austin CC as I was a member for 10 years at a 36-hole club he designed. He also designed Cabot Links and did a lot of shaping work with Coore/Crenshaw on Cabot Cliffs (two of the best courses in Canada).

Rod Whitman actually worked for Pete Dye (who was original Austin CC architect) for a while straight out of college after he went to school for a golf scholarship but was more interested in architecture. He told me a story that during the reno at Austin CC, they built a retention pond to hold water before they created/moved a creek (or something like that) and someone who had snuck in to swim had drowned.

• lfn1992

I love match play! Everything about it I love, from the different scoring, the head-to-head nature, and the fact that so many DFS people play it and have no idea what they’re doing.

Add to that the Kenya Open and Puntacana…..

• byo34

https://twitter.com/DellMatchPlay/status/1373999003533185028

We have our first group!

3 of those guys were in the 2019 winning lineup..

• mitchsnyderdfw

@BIF said...

My mistake, for some reason I though he had made it to the Round of 16 at some point

• Getty33

The Puntacana Corales has quite a few characters in the field. For your viewing pleasure may I present to you :

and

• monarch

Damn, Group of Death. Louis is the one guy I would not want in my bracket. Might full fade JT

• timusbr

At Monarch

reading last weeks thread and going by my memory. You hit on some of the key points.

In a perfect world, you want all 6 rostered golfers in the final 8.
    Not many of the past players here, remember fully the way the bracket is going to be set up. When you see the full field and the groups, it will come into focus quickly.

While everyone is looking to see who gets into the top 8…The results history tells us, Top 4 should be your only consideration. Maybe it was because of the carnage in the seeding, but the extra rounds of the top 4 determine the DFS winners. getting 1 generally makes the money line, getting 2 gets you into contention of taking the Gpp.

• monarch

Thanks.

There are so many possibilities. It will probably not take anywhere near a perfect bracket to take it down but I will focus heavily on correlation and not so much CH, RF, OWGR or any of that.

• manoffewwords

Thinking DK may want to make some extra $ with SD first 3 days with 32 matches.

• timusbr

Help, I am looking for the fields and the groups.
    I read Golf channel would have the draw and brackets at 11am.
    I see groups and matches listed on PGA.com (they are matchups that do not look like 2019, are they 2021?)

itching to get started but….

• monarch

Bryson, DJ, Collin and Reed have reasonable draws I think. Other top seeds more dangerous opponents. I like Scheffler to get out of his pool. Berger will be interesting with his ribs, that is a lot of golf with Augusta around the corner. Spieth and Fitz in the same pod is not what I wanted to see.

• monarch

@timusbr said...

Help, I am looking for the fields and the groups.
    I read Golf channel would have the draw and brackets at 11am.
    I see groups and matches listed on PGA.com (they are matchups that do not look like 2019, are they 2021?)

itching to get started but….

Twitter @dellmatchplay

• Wander_Bread

@BIF said...

Lost to Xander and Garcia
    Beat Shubak Sharma

If you mean history from college days, I’d throw that out as he turned pro in 2012 and the course was pretty significantly renovated in 2015 prior to hosting the Match Play for the first time in 2016.

Fun fact: I know the architect (Rod Whitman) who did the renovation at Austin CC as I was a member for 10 years at a 36-hole club he designed. He also designed Cabot Links and did a lot of shaping work with Coore/Crenshaw on Cabot Cliffs (two of the best courses in Canada).

Rod Whitman actually worked for Pete Dye (who was original Austin CC architect) for a while straight out of college after he went to school for a golf scholarship but was more interested in architecture. He told me a story that during the reno at Austin CC, they built a retention pond to hold water before they created/moved a creek (or something like that) and someone who had snuck in to swim had drowned.

I seriously need to get to Cabot soon

• eruthruff

Does the match play normally coincide with the Corales tournament (2016-2020)? I think not because the Corales seems to have been held at wildly different times of year. My numbers say that Corales has tended to be a relatively predictable tournament (a good thing), but the field isn’t so great this week (a bad thing), thanks to the match play scooping the best players off the top.

I might go heavy on both the match play and the Corales this week.

• BrianVT

I don’t think Tim is a twit. Here is a source for the bracket:

https://fantasybracket.pgatour.com/#/picks/mine

• hbomb57

I think I am going to treat this years Golf Bracket the same as the NCABB has gone.

• BrianVT

@hbomb57 said...

I think I am going to treat this years Golf Bracket the same as the NCABB has gone.

Including a golfer getting through because of COVID protocols?

• hbomb57

@BrianVT said...

Including a golfer getting through because of COVID protocols?

• manoffewwords

Golf Channel stated obvious. Gro.2 toughest. Grp.1 easiest

• hautalak

• 2021 Blogger of the Month

Well a quick glance and hate Berger and Rahm would have to go 2nd round if they won! Those looked like 2 “easy” (obviously we know how that goes) wins off the bat.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).