NBA FORUM

Comments

• Landa501

I don’t understand this. Why do I see names like BritDevine and Hoop in $1 50/50’s to win 80 cents?

• cjstetzer

because it’s an +EV move on their part
    and a -EV for the DFS landscape
    Capitalism baby

• bhdevault

• Lead Moderator

• Blogger of the Month

If they play in 100 of them each day, that’s $80, right?

• 36ryno

I see Hoop in the high dollar stuff nightly as well. Brit, not so much..I wouldn’t even consider the guy a ‘pro’. What damage has he done outside of these $1 50/50s in GPP? Being a tout doesn’t mean being a ‘pro’

• eddyswag69

@bhdevault said...

Yes .80 times 100 is $80

• KillaChap

@bhdevault said...

Someone who may or may not remain nameless who may or may not be the person I’m quoting was in my $1 entry 5 man tournament on FD last night. Of course, I finished last.

EDIT: I’m not complaining, by the way.

• KillaChap

Here’s some advice, because this drives me insane since they’re in almost every single 3 man $1 entry that pops up, wait for one where they aren’t in it. Or, play against them and either beat them or look at their lu if they won and see what they did differently. I am personally too lazy for the second option which is why I’ll keep breaking even while having fun.

• Landa501

@bhdevault said...

So you don’t see anything wrong with this type of behavior? You just blindly defend these type of entries?

• CUTiger81

They have beginner games if you’re new to this.

• noddy

@bhdevault said...

This is pretty sad

• bhdevault

• Lead Moderator

• Blogger of the Month

@noddy said...

This is pretty sad

My point was, that adds up. Most people who grind cash games don’t look at per day, think about how much that person wins in a month’s time.
    If you have a better +EV playing lower limits why would you sign up for a $10 50/50 when you can sign up for 10 $1 50/50’s?

For some this is a hobby, for some it’s their livelihood. That’s the part so many simply don’t understand.

• noddy

@bhdevault said...

My point was, that adds up. Most people who grind cash games don’t look at per day, think about how much that person wins in a month’s time.
    If you have a better +EV playing lower limits why would you sign up for a $10 50/50 when you can sign up for 10 $1 50/50’s?

For some this is a hobby, for some it’s their livelihood. That’s the part so many simply don’t understand.

And apparently some people don’t understand how sad it is for so called “top players” to enter so many low buyin contests.

• gje627

I’m always confused by what constitutes a pro and what constitutes an amateur. Is there really a difference? Should DK and FD just completely segregate the two types of players, arbitrarily defined by their own “Community Guidelines” as pros and and amateurs?

Somehow, I don’t think this would work.

Additionally, using the same rationale as the OP, if “pros” can not/ should not play certain low-cost or low-payout contests, should amateurs be prohibited from playing high-entry fee or high-payout contests.

This would only be “fair” to the pros, right?

Imagine, if DK prohibited amateurs from playing the NFL milly maker…. I’m almost certain there would outrage by the same people that constantly and incessantly complain about the pros in the RG forums.

Regarding @BritDevine, your criticism is completely unfair and wholly unwarranted

@BritDevine has freely, generously, and without hesitation given us all useful, actionable, and insightful DFS advice on a daily basis for years (as have other RG staff). I imagine you, as well as almost all frequent users of RG have taken advantage of his advice to win at least a nice chunk of change on more than one occasion. I’m actually surprised RG staff spends as much time as they do trying to help other DFS players, rather than simply keeping their “knowledge” to themselves and beating us all more thoroughly on a daily basis.

What’s the old saying…. “Don’t bite the hand that feeds you.”

• NickMarshGuy

@CUTiger81 said...

They have beginner games if you’re new to this.

This. You can also look for other games they aren’t in. Study, and get better.

• KindGuy

Can someone PLEASE define what a “Pro” is? I freaking hate using that word but everyone in the DFS industry loves to use it.

This is gambling. I happen to believe that the idea that someone can be a professional at this is straight BS.

• Messiah717

@elementasrat said...

Can someone PLEASE define what a “Pro” is? I freaking hate using that word but everyone in the DFS industry loves to use it.

This is gambling. I happen to believe that the idea that someone can be a professional at this is straight BS.

I would say if all or a majority of your income derives from playing DFS you’re a pro. That’s pretty much how poker pros are defined I believe. Hey professional gamblers. It’s not unheard of.

• KindGuy

@Messiah717 said...

I would say if all or a majority of your income derives from playing DFS you’re a pro. That’s pretty much how poker pros are defined I believe. Hey professional gamblers. It’s not unheard of.

What’s majority? 51%?

I need specifics.

• noddy

Not everyone has all day to spend researching like some of the people that enter all the low entry contests. Some people can’t just study more or get better. You need time to do that and some people simply don’t have it. If you don’t think its frustrating for someone who just wants to play for a few bucks has to go up against the people who do this all day and sometimes for a living you better think again.

Having said that there’s nothing stopping them from entering every contest. Some people, including me, tend to think differently about that type of person and we are allowed to have that opinion of them.

• KindGuy

@noddy said...

Not everyone has all day to spend researching like some of the people that enter all the low entry contests. Some people can’t just study more or get better. You need time to do that and some people simply don’t have it. If you don’t think its frustrating for someone who just wants to play for a few bucks has to go up against the people who do this all day and sometimes for a living you better think again.

Having said that there’s nothing stopping them from entering every contest. Some people, including me, tend to think differently about that type of person and we are allowed to have that opinion of them.

So can you provide a solution?

Who should and shouldn’t be allowed to play in the low dollar games?

• kellykip

Don’t think I ever play a $1 tourney, but there are times once my research is finished that I like more lineup variations than I originally thought when I locked in my 6 or 8 entries in a $40/$33/$27 tourney, but when I go to buy more entries, the tourney is already filled. In that case, I’d rather play a lower buyin with a few more lineups as opposed to essentially wasting that research time by shorting myself the additional action.

Maybe in some cases some of the pros could very well be in a similar situation where the particular slate merits more coverage once they research and their normal buyin spots are no longer available to add on to.

• Landa501

We are not even talking about a $1 tournament we are talking about a $1 50/50 to win $1.80.

• noddy

@elementasrat said...

So can you provide a solution?

Who should and shouldn’t be allowed to play in the low dollar games?

The solution would be for people to have some integrity and not enter every low buyin contest.

• gje627

@noddy said...

The solution would be for people to have some integrity and not enter every low buyin contest.

I think a solution would be for the sites to stop awarding monetary prizes, and instead award “participation trophies” to EVERYONE.

Or, better yet, since this is the digital-age we can ALL get a cute “smiley-face” emoji after each contest….

• CaldwellTylerusng94

@bhdevault said...

Y’all don’t get it, this man Bhdevault just wrote it out in black and white, and you still want a solution.. there is no solution, because there is no problem!! For some, this is their JOB, their CAREER.. Why is this even a conversation?? its ridiculous to say that someone cant play a $1 dollar entry because they’re “too good”. This is COMPETITION.. if you want to win, then study the people beating you, do your own research, and LEARN. The people who win regularly, have more than likely been doing this a longggg time. They learn every day, and they even give subscribers articles on how to win! Seriously, stop complaining about this, its almost certainly not going to change.

Note: I apologize for all the caps.

• SA16

@noddy said...

So the solution is people should voluntarily take a hit to their bottom line when they are doing absolutely nothing against the rules? How does that make any sense?

• Clyde

This is a strictly a hobby for me, and I play only $1 games unless it’s late and there are only $2 games available, as in late Sunday NFL games…half of what I do is in the $1 50/50’s, and I don’t really care who else is in them…they’re all single entry and we’re all picking from the same pool…

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-Gambler (NJ/WV/PA), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO) or 1-800-BETS OFF (IA). 21+. NJ/PA/WV/IN/IA/CO/IL only.