INDUSTRY FORUM

Comments

• dedlata

How long til DK doesn’t have 50/50s at all? Two years ago DK only offered 50/50s in NBA. Then last year started bringing in the 12% rake double up as a more profitable (for them) replacement, but still had some large field 50/50s. Today on a 14 game slate they have their 50/50s topped out at 20 entrants. This is potentially beneficially to sharks because they can get more dollars and volume in low dollar contests with the increased number of contests, but is of no benefit to the majority of their customers. They are giving you the opportunity to play all sharks in a micro 50/50, or you get to pay the 12% rake. I imagine this will lead to the death of the 50/50 over there as there will be no reason to play them. I always believed the large field single entry contests are probably the best contest for people to play (especially those new to the sport) and now that is no longer an option on DK.

• britdevine

• 2014 StarStreet MLB Playboy Mansion Finalist

I hate this, more rake, tougher to cash, not ideal at all.

All I have left to play on DK is H2H now, its like they are trying to make people not play

• OsRitmos

Agreed. I loved playing their “BIG” 50/50’s, but they’re nowhere to be found this year (yet).

• neogamer

• x2

2013 FanDuel WFBBC Finalist

• 2015 FanDuel NBA Playboy Mansion Finalist

Draftkings has made it pretty clear that big prize pools with flashy top prizes is their focus for time being .

• miggytoddbest

• 2014 FanDuel WFBC Finalist

Why not play single entry double ups? $10 entry 113 spots top 50 paid. With the single entry fair for all. Can’t be a “shark” in single entry. Even playing field.

• dedlata

@miggytoddbest said...

Why not play single entry double ups? $10 entry 113 spots top 50 paid. With the single entry fair for all. Can’t be a “shark” in single entry. Even playing field.

I do not want my rake in cash games to be approaching 12% (would prefer less than 10%) and only 44% of the field wins vs 50% for a 50/50. In long term play both of those things make it far less optimal to play double ups.

• dedlata

@neogamer said...

Draftkings has made it pretty clear that big prize pools with flashy top prizes is their focus for time being .

Seems that way. Perhaps people chasing large prize pools is much more lucrative for them. When I sent them a “suggestion” message about adding some large field 50/50s, I got an auto reply that they were busy. If you aren’t going to read “suggestion” messages what is the point in even offering that as a messaging choice?

• miggytoddbest

I see your point on rake. I just feel and my recent results have shown that I can finish better than 63/113 single entry people no worse than every 2 of 3 trending to 3 of 4. Single entry is worth higher rake in my opinion. No “pro” is any better than anyone in single entry if u put in the time. 50/50 fine but u pay rake in not getting your full money doubled obviously. Good luck.

• Loveyduvey50

Those DK Double ups are straight up garbage. Avoid those like the plague. The rake is insanely high and if your grinding cash games for the whole season the difference between a 44% cash line and a % 50 cash line, is the difference between a successful season and a losing season. Avoid that shit. DK needs to stop with this sneaky shit and bring back the 50/50’s.

• Redskins4

• hendry

@miggytoddbest said...

No “pro” is any better than anyone in single entry if u put in the time.

but you just said you win 2/3 to 3/4 of the time….im confused.

• miggytoddbest

Never claim to be a pro. Just a long time player who has finally realized that by playing 80% $10-$50 single entries is a profitable path. Reduced gpp’s is a key for me.

Hopefully less confused. If not move on…….

• JaNelson38

@Loveyduvey50 said...

Those DK Double ups are straight up garbage. Avoid those like the plague. The rake is insanely high and if your grinding cash games for the whole season the difference between a 44% cash line and a % 50 cash line, is the difference between a successful season and a losing season. Avoid that shit. DK needs to stop with this sneaky shit and bring back the 50/50’s.

Lets be real here…no double ups or 50/50 have a 50% cash line, no matter the site. Either the cash line is moved under 50%, or you’re paying juice up front to cover the rake (i.e. not getting double your investment back if you win). If you think they did have an exact 50% cash line at some point, you’ve been sorely mistaken – why would a DFS site run a contest with thousands of players and not take a cut of it like any other contest?

In the large FD 50/50 games, you’re not getting back double your investment when you win. In a $50 100-entry 50/50, you get $45 back if you win. Multiply that $5 by 100, and you get a $500 rake for a 100-entry contest. That’s a 10% rake.

In the “Giant $50 Double up” on DK that has 1000 entries, there are 450 paid out to double your investment ($100) = $45K in prize money paid out of a $50K contest. That’s a 10% rake – just like FD.

The rake still comes out, either off the top like at FD or at the bottom like DK. But either way, its still coming out. Sure, you might have to place in the top 55% of a DK Double Up to cash, but you actually DOUBLE UP. In a FD 50/50, you might finish in the top 50% and cash, but you’re only getting a 1.9 ROI – FD gets the other .10. So stop throwing stones at glass houses, I guess.

• easternmh

• x3

Blogger of the Month

Just play at FD …. They seem to be running most of their sports this way now, CFB has gone this way too

• ponzicrash

Can’t say they aren’t smart. Force you to pay higher rake or decrease the edge of winning players.

Both do the same thing. Increase the rate of churn.

• miggytoddbest

Finally JaNelson38. People think 50/50 are so much better than double ups and dont acknowledge the rake is in getting less than amount u buy in for back

• chronoxiong

Fanduel all the way!!!!

• Redskins4

@JaNelson38 said...

Lets be real here…no double ups or 50/50 have a 50% cash line, no matter the site. Either the cash line is moved under 50%, or you’re paying juice up front to cover the rake (i.e. not getting double your investment back if you win).

In the large FD 50/50 games, you’re not getting back double your investment when you win. In a $50 100-entry 50/50, you get $45 back if you win. Multiply that $5 by 100, and you get a $500 rake for a 100-entry contest. That’s a 10% rake.

In the “Giant $50 Double up” on DK that has 1000 entries, there are 450 paid out to double your investment ($100) = $45K in prize money paid out of a $50K contest. That’s a 10% rake – just like FD.

The rake still comes out, either off the top like at FD or at the bottom like DK. But either way, its still coming out. So stop throwing stones at glass houses, I guess.

A 50/50 has a 50% cash line fyi, hence “50/50”. So what if you win 90% of your entry fee it’s a easier game to win.

• easternmh

• x3

Blogger of the Month

@miggytoddbest said...

Finally JaNelson38. People think 50/50 are so much better than double ups and dont acknowledge the rake is in getting less than amount u buy in for back

Except their GIANT double ups are multi entry…. Most people don’t wanna play multi entry double ups… IMO it’s not that much harder to cash in a gpp than the ME DUS

• JaNelson38

@Redskins4 said...

A 50/50 has a 50% cash line fyi, hence “50/50”. So what if you win 90% of your entry fee it’s a easier game to win.

Sure, it might be an easier game to win. But you also have to win more of them to get the same ROI as you would a true double up.

There’s trade-offs at both sites with regards to their 50/50 and double ups. But the point is both places get their rake one way or the other. DK is hardly being “sneaky”, as the OP put it.

• JaNelson38

@easternmh said...

Except their GIANT double ups are multi entry…. Most people don’t wanna play multi entry double ups… IMO it’s not that much harder to cash in a gpp than the ME DUS

You can play small 50/50 at DK that are single entry.

• miggytoddbest

Redskins4- you just said getting 90% of your investment back. Don’t u see that is same as rake in double ups.

• hendry

@miggytoddbest said...

Never claim to be a pro. Just a long time player who has finally realized that by playing 80% $10-$50 single entries is a profitable path. Reduced gpp’s is a key for me.

Hopefully less confused. If not move on…….

not really. you basically argued that there are no sharks in single entry and then said you are a shark.

• dedlata

@JaNelson38 said...

Lets be real here…no double ups or 50/50 have a 50% cash line, no matter the site. Either the cash line is moved under 50%, or you’re paying juice up front to cover the rake (i.e. not getting double your investment back if you win). If you think they did have an exact 50% cash line at some point, you’ve been sorely mistaken – why would a DFS site run a contest with thousands of players and not take a cut of it like any other contest?

The rake still comes out, either off the top like at FD or at the bottom like DK. But either way, its still coming out. Sure, you might have to place in the top 55% of a DK Double Up to cash, but you actually DOUBLE UP. In a FD 50/50, you might finish in the top 50% and cash, but you’re only getting a 1.9 ROI – FD gets the other .10. So stop throwing stones at glass houses, I guess.

You think there are people that don’t understand the difference between a 50/50 and a double up? Not sure what you are talking about regarding the cash line is under 50%. Obviously as everyone clearly understands you get less money back on a 50/50 than a double up. It is also more likely that you will cash. On all lower buy in levels the rake is higher than a 50/50 until you get to $50 buy in level. What percent of players do you think are playing entries at that level?
    Not sure how you think you have to place in the top 55% of a DK double up to cash. It is the top 44% to 45% depending on contest that cash.

• miggytoddbest

U and I have different definitions of a shark or pro. To me those are only guys that use math to win. They put in 200 lineups as they determine that maximizes their profit.

I just consider myself a winning single entry player.

Can’t state it any more simpler. Good luck. Join a DK double up tonight NBA. Chances are at the 10-50$ level I may be in it!

• Defjux41

I know they’re doing the same in NHL, and a number of users post 100-man 50/50’s that fill nightly to counter it. I would try doing something similar if you’re not thrilled with the game selection.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).