MLB FORUM

Comments

• chiwork

Yes this is another thread that talks about multi-entry, but considering you cant watch tv or drive on the road without seeing a DK or FD ad, and we just came up on the first weekend of their bread and butter, I have no other explanations for them barely passing 50% last night.

Baseball is still in the thick of their playoff runs, and NCAAF has mini stakes compared to big 3 pro sports. Many here called it “free money tuesday”, but really it was a slaughter for the sites almost as bad as opening day for them.

To me there is no enthusiasm for baseball when not only am I competing against 100k people on a horrible payout scale, I’m also competing against guys that makes $100ks and can stack the slates nightly. To be clear I’m not blaming sharks, I’m blaming the sites.

There should be intermediate tourneys and more single entry. At least have a much lower cap on enteries. Give average users a better chance (or at least illusion because we all know DK/FD only care about green)

Again to the detractors I’m not whining about not winning enough, I dont hate sharks, this isn’t sour grapes, I’m just stating what I see and how I feel from your average DFS player. Also yes I understand some nights of the week average guys win with a single ticket, but again my point is the consensus and feeling of normal DFS players not a few examples.

I know I will get the same 8 guys who say “why dont you do it” or “get better” but those two points are irrelevant. I hope I’m not alone, and considering this is a major DFS site that we know the sites look at, I wanted to put this bluntly for them.

• einars

i love single entry tournys but they dont fill. there was much more (percentage wise) overlay in the single entry gpps this sunday on DK than in the multi entry gpps. the sites are already address this by decreasing the max entry amount. even for this last mlb gpp that had a higher max entry (500) it was still less than .5% of the total entries. the vast majority of entries come from players playing less than 5 entries.

• marcreinhart

In my opinion (as well as the reason I didn’t play) the reason the MLB Milly Maker tournament had such massive overlay was the payout structure. In DK’s effort to put such a headline on the top payout, they gave the winner 40% of the take. I put my entries in the $3 moonshot yesterday, not because I couldn’t afford to play the Milly Maker, but because the payout across the board was much better with the winner getting about 10%. Since overlay is the one thing that costs these sites money, I would sure hope that the smart guys in their organizations figure that out and stop offering such lopsided tournaments. Make your big spash in the fact that there was a $2.5M prize pool with a $500K payoff, and that thing would have filled easily.

• AndThisGuyPeedOnIt

I would have never played the MLB MM if not for the tickets I had because of the payout structure. All it did, especially with the overlay, was induce the max entry crowd to flood it with combinations of stacks until they hit one that pays off. I’d be more willing to enter tournaments with a flatter payout structure that would not reward max entry.

There is no “build better lineups” in MLB GPPs.

• chiwork

@AndThisGuyPeedOnIt said...

I would have never played the MLB MM if not for the tickets I had because of the payout structure. All it did, especially with the overlay, was induce the max entry crowd to flood it with combinations of stacks until they hit one that pays off. I’d be more willing to enter tournaments with a flatter payout structure that would not reward max entry.

There is no “build better lineups” in MLB GPPs.

Said very well, thank you.

• SouthernShield

The main reason single entries don’t fill is they aren’t promoted and are difficult to find.

• kantiger77

@SouthernShield said...

The main reason single entries don’t fill is they aren’t promoted and are difficult to find.

Agree with this 100%.

• Olhausen

I said this yesterday and I’ll say it again. These sites need to start knocking the top prize down and spread the wealth. I really think a flatter payout structure would make more people happy. I mean how many times are any of us going to win first in a huge Gpp anyways? I’ve cracked the top 100 in the moonshot a few times and got as high as 32 place but the payout feels like a joke. You finish 32 out of 50-60,000 people and still can’t make much. I haven’t missed one day of playing mlb Dfs in my first year playing but I’m not sure if I won’t get burnt out in future seasons with these top heavy payouts.

• Felder15

• 2017 DraftKings FBWC Finalist

• x2

2018 DraftKings FHWC Finalist

@einars said...

i love single entry tournys but they dont fill. there was much more (percentage wise) overlay in the single entry gpps this sunday on DK than in the multi entry gpps. the sites are already address this by decreasing the max entry amount. even for this last mlb gpp that had a higher max entry (500) it was still less than .5% of the total entries. the vast majority of entries come from players playing less than 5 entries.

Single entry tourneys on DK fill frequently. The $27 tourneys with roughly 70-90 people fill early in the day. Sure, they didn’t fill the 10,000 person single entry tourney they ran earlier this year but i’d imagine they would fill a 400 person single entry $27 tourney each night.

• cylusballin

RG Overall Ranking

• 2016 DraftKings FFWC Finalist

• 2017 DraftKings FBBWC Finalist

Meh I don’t know I kinda like it how it is but I see your point.

• cdome06

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #88

RG Tiered Ranking

@cylusballin said...

Coming from the guy who won lololol

• Ryazan

• x3

2015 FanDuel WFFC Finalist

• x2

2015 FanDuel WFBC Finalist

@cylusballin said...

oh please what have you ever won??

• cylusballin

RG Overall Ranking

• 2016 DraftKings FFWC Finalist

• 2017 DraftKings FBBWC Finalist

Guys come on I got 4th too. I feel your pain of the top heavy structure, 4th should be at least 100k.

• thehazyone

RG Contributor

• Blogger of the Month

Congrats cylus – didn’t realize you were a RG member when I wrote up the Tournament Report last night.

• steveospeak

plenty of their tournaments don’t get a real promotional push and fill (or at least don’t overlay).

The reason why they don’t fill is b/c while the site might have enough actual players playing at that entry fee level, if someone sees a single entry GPP or a bigger multi-entry GPP at the same price point and the bigger GPP has the larger prize pool they will choose that one.

• steveospeak

@Felder15 said...

Single entry tourneys on DK fill frequently. The $27 tourneys with roughly 70-90 people fill early in the day. Sure, they didn’t fill the 10,000 person single entry tourney they ran earlier this year but i’d imagine they would fill a 400 person single entry $27 tourney each night.

yeah the small ones fill, but that isn’t the issue. It’s having bigger single entry tournaments with a big enough prize pool to attract customers. Those don’t fill or if they do it happens right before kick-off.

• cdome06

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #88

RG Tiered Ranking

@cylusballin said...

Guys come on I got 4th too. I feel your pain of the top heavy structure, 4th should be at least 100k.

Haha, I love it. Congrats bro!

• steveospeak

To me the biggest issue with these big tournaments on both sites are simply the fact that most people (including all the new people their commercials are bringing in) are focused on the NFL.

Now obviously both of these sites were hoping that the big prize pools could get people hooked to play other sports once NFL is over, but I just think most people were hesitant to invest much of their bankroll in other sports. I only played in the DK tournament b/c I have a stronger BR there than FD, and it felt worth it to take advantage of the overlay.

This early in the season I think it is a tough sell to get a lot of newer players or re-depositors to try another sport,but I could see later in the year when NBA starts a big tournament like this actually working.

• fandjinbkalltheway

@Ryazan said...

oh please what have you ever won??

such a dick

• vino24

• 2019 FanDuel WFBC Finalist

@Olhausen said...

These sites need to start knocking the top prize down and spread the wealth. I really think a flatter payout structure would make more people happy

I used to be for this but then I realized that I would rather have top heavy tourney payouts……in my opinion, I feel like it punishes the players who max entry all the time, where they have to actually get 1st in order for it to really pay off flooding the field with so many entries.

• cjs5555

@vino24 said...

I used to be for this but then I realized that I would rather have top heavy tourney payouts……in my opinion, I feel like it punishes the players who max entry all the time, where they have to actually get 1st in order for it to really pay off flooding the field with so many entries.

this is a fine point but i also think the top heavy nature is what encourages more entries – i have to think that a lot of the super heavy entry guys have at least a basic understanding of expected return probabilities, so the main reason they’re maxing out their entries is because of the huge payout for first place. i don’t think most of them expect to win every night, but the lopsided nature of the big cash for taking down a tourney enables them to accept the overall loss on, say, 7 out of 8 days. I actually think that if the payout structure were less top heavy and spread out a bit more, you’d see the big multi entries decrease a bit.

• chiwork

@cjs5555 said...

this is a fine point but i also think the top heavy nature is what encourages more entries – i have to think that a lot of the super heavy entry guys have at least a basic understanding of expected return probabilities, so the main reason they’re maxing out their entries is because of the huge payout for first place. i don’t think most of them expect to win every night, but the lopsided nature of the big cash for taking down a tourney enables them to accept the overall loss on, say, 7 out of 8 days. I actually think that if the payout structure were less top heavy and spread out a bit more, you’d see the big multi entries decrease a bit.

Exactly. The sites need to realize the huge paydays will lure in casual people which is good, but repeat customers arent going to keep paying for 40% top prize when 5-10 sharks enter 400+ lineups each night

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-Gambler (NJ/WV/PA), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO) or 1-800-BETS OFF (IA). 21+. NJ/PA/WV/IN/IA/CO/IL only.