MAIN FORUM

Comments

• Riley

RG Co-Founder

DraftKings informed us yesterday that they are disabling the opt-in RotoGrinders rankings feed while they thoroughly examine all of their policies and protocols.

While this is an unfortunate blow, it’s completely justified and even expected.

We’re entering a new age of DFS. We need to treat these things like they would be treated in a regulated industry. Everything needs to be more transparent.

Short term we’ll be exploring alternative systems and discussing this with our other feed providers. Long term we’re confident we’ll find a solution that will allow us to maintain some type of rankings system, but it could change drastically from what we have now. It could be based completely off of GPPs displayed publicly in the lobbies, for example. For our current system we’re importing top 20% finishing winning results in heads up, 50/50, or tournaments.

While rankings aren’t for everyone, we think they serve a vital role in an industry like DFS. They help put faces to screen names, create celebrity players and community, and give goal-oriented players extra motivation. DraftKings, Fanduel, and other partners see the value in rankings and have supported us for years. We really appreciate that support and we’ll be working with them to figure out a system that works going forward.

UPDATE 10/9 – FanDuel recently has made the same decision to disable our results feed from them. Again, this is both justified and expected. Our plan is the same as it was yesterday—to explore alternative systems of recording results in the short term and re-evaluate long term solutions once we have more clarity on their decisions.

• dre87

Argh. :-( Understand why, but still. Argh. This was one of the most fun parts of DFS for me, busting my butt over the past two years to finally get to where I am. Maybe I am just one of those “goal-oriented” players and obviously I care about the money more than the ranking but this is another tough hit to the fun of the game. Thanks for communicating this and looking into alternatives for the future, Riley.

• Cal

RG CoFounder & Admin

RG Overall Ranking

• $1M Prize Winner

• x4

2015 DraftKings FFWC Finalist

@dre87 said...

Argh. :-( Understand why, but still. Argh. This was one of the most fun parts of DFS for me, busting my butt over the past two years to finally get to where I am. Maybe I am just one of those “goal-oriented” players and obviously I care about the money more than the ranking but this is another tough hit to the fun of the game. Thanks for communicating this and looking into alternatives for the future, Riley.

I hear you loud and clear dre, although I’m optimistic we’ll end up landing on a rankings system that works well and provides similar value – even if it is GPP-only based.

• srolleDFS

if u do make a ranking system that is not dependent on site support, will it still be opt-in only?

• mrchuffy

Hope they can figure out a different solution, I think everyone enjoys having rankings on rotogrinders.

• ChaosM83

RG Overall Ranking

Since this was done on an opt in basis, I’m hoping this move is only temporary. I know RG will work on another system in the meantime, but I liked how this one was working.

• ActionJunkie

So they are becoming less transparent? Shouldn’t they be doing the exact OPPOSITE?!

I don’t get it at all and in addition to being annoying/disappointing is also a bit worriesome.

• Undonersg

• Blogger of the Month

It makes sense they would be pulling this because it is private information. If you can determine a “weaker” opponent then you can try to target them in a heads up game. But then it doesn’t make sense because it won’t show how people are doing; therefore, we couldnt tell if there may be someone who is tampering with things if they win like 15-20 GPPs in a row. Difficult to determine what the right play is here. I just hope DFS gets regulated and stays, it would be a blow to me. I played online poker because it was fun for me to spend some time and gave me goals to work towards. DFS is fun and helps me use my statistics background while helping me pay attention and love sports more.

Anyways bit of a ramble but thanks for everything you do here at rotogrinders.

• eddiemunstor

Is this a way of removing some of the public scrutiny that they’re facing? If so, horrible decision PR wise and adds to the conspiracy theories. Of course, they may be doing it while the heat is on so the PR hit is just lumped in with the rest of it.

• PSSEndeavors7

Very disappointed and I hope it’s temporary. This is a step in the wrong direction if you ask me.

• MikeMineo

Bummer. Odd that THIS has taken a precedent ahead of other more important issues. I don’t see any potential unfair advantage with RG rankings, but oh well – I guess evaluation of any sort is good right now.

• Avgplayer

I can understand the argument, I just wish they would put there time, energy, and focus on more important issues and not spread themselves so thin. Get better at the issues that are current then proceed to get better elsewhere.

• y2mulder

Call me crazy, but I just see “Hide the evidence”

• louiescards

DK KoTH winner

@y2mulder said...

Care to explain more? I mean not having our feed is hiding future evidence of what exactly?

• Riley

RG Co-Founder

@srolleDFS said...

if u do make a ranking system that is not dependent on site support, will it still be opt-in only?

Hi @srolleDFS,

Opting-in is important to us. In all cases, you must opt-in to tracking on our side by entering your screen names in your RotoGrinders profile. The only data we collect from any partner is winnings information for those screen names that members have provided to us. Any rankings solution we explore that does not involve getting information directly from the sites will also be constrained by this requirement.

If we begin manually collecting data from contests publicly displayed in site lobbies, for example, we will only do so for players that have given us their screen names. If at any time you don’t want to be included in the rankings and don’t want your winning results collected for the purpose of being ranked, you’ll be able to remove your screen names from your profile (just like you are currently able to do now).

Some sites also allow for an opt-in on their side by having an allow-third-parties-to-access-my-results option on their profile pages. (DraftKings is one of those sites, so you have/had “double” opt-in protection in those cases.) If we move to a manual, non site-supported rankings solution, this side of the opt-in will no longer apply, but the above-mentioned opt-in will still exist.

Thanks for the question and let us know if you have any others!
    Riley

• browns79

The rankings aren’t the issue , its the data used to create the rankings that’s the concern. I’m sure once pa system is in place to make sure the data isn’t being used improperly the rankings system will be back online.

• Cal

RG CoFounder & Admin

RG Overall Ranking

• $1M Prize Winner

• x4

@y2mulder said...

This is part of “Looking at their business as a regulator would.” DraftKings can’t and wouldn’t hide that they sent us a rankings feed in the past. What they will say is “Here is a feed that we killed while we are fully evaluating the best practices around sharing data with third party sites.”

• flip4flop

Just as I finally started to climb the ranks. Hopefully this does come back. I see it as a good sort of transparency hopefully this all gets resolved soon

• Putz

@ActionJunkie said...

So they are becoming less transparent? Shouldn’t they be doing the exact OPPOSITE?!

I don’t get it at all and in addition to being annoying/disappointing is also a bit worriesome.

Bingo!

• Warriv

@Riley said...

While this is an unfortunate blow, it’s completely justified and even expected.

I don’t understand how it is justified or expected at all. It is opt-in. Seems more that they don’t like we could see Ethan’s results and are becoming less transparent instead of more transparent.

• y2mulder

@louiescards said...

Care to explain more? I mean not having our feed is hiding future evidence of what exactly?

Maybe I haven’t completely wrapped my arms around it, but isn’t this burying the performance of their employees, in the event they were playing on their own sites? And DK pros??

• Lonnie20

I’m a fan of DraftKings and I’m not trying to start trouble. However, It’s certainly not the transparency Mr. Robins preached the past few days. I’m sure during the tumultuous past few days, the rankings of their employees gave them a lot to answer for so why provide it. Just a guess.

• Cal

RG CoFounder & Admin

RG Overall Ranking

• $1M Prize Winner

• x4

@Lonnie20 said...

I’m a fan of DraftKings and I’m not trying to start trouble. However, It’s certainly not the transparency Mr. Robins preached the past few days. I’m sure during the tumultuous past few days, the rankings of their employees gave them a lot to answer for so why provide it. Just a guess.

Deleted a few sensationalized posts and responding to this one, not going to let this turn into 20 pages of conspiracy theory.

The rankings and results are still showing. Check anyone’s profile. We’re not going to be getting future results. Ethan pulled his own results, and any user can do the same by removing their screen names from their profile.

• KevKev198622

@Cal said...

Deleted a few sensationalized posts and responding to this one, not going to let this turn into 20 pages of conspiracy theory.

The rankings and results are still showing. Check anyone’s profile. We’re not going to be getting future results. Ethan pulled his own results, and any user can do the same by removing their screen names from their profile.

Im assuming my post? What did I say that wasnt worth responding and just outright deleting?

You don’t understand my sentiments?

I fully get you could simply delete the option which some have done.

I just checked a few names and you are right they are still showing. How long will it show?

• Riley

RG Co-Founder

@KevKev198622 said...

Im assuming my post? What did I say that wasnt worth responding and just outright deleting?

You don’t understand my sentiments?

I fully get you could simply delete the option which some have done.

I just checked a few names and you are right they are still showing. How long will it show?

Past results (read “wins”) will show as long as those RG members want their past results to show.

The feed being cut off only means we aren’t getting future results (at least temporarily while third parties investigate what appropriate and inappropriate data protections are or aren’t already in place).

• y2mulder

Got it. Understood.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

Bet with your head, not over it!
Gambling Problem? Call 1-800-Gambler