MAIN FORUM

Comments

• dictator_teddy

RG Overall Ranking

• 2017 DraftKings FHWC Finalist

Instead of earning 3 FPP by $1 in contests now you get 1 FPP per $1 in contests. They give you freerolls that you can qualify for based on play level, and other daily incentives to earn additional FPP, but I think this really hurts the high volume players.

• jimfred82

• Blogger of the Month

Yeah, I thought that was interesting. Make it sound like it’s a great new thing but the reality is it kind of seems to be worse…?

• myb821

where is this announcement?

• SouthernShield

@myb821 said...

where is this announcement?

I got an email about it.

• sutogame

Did they get rid of the STEPS tournement!!!!!
    What is the point of winning on of those tickets when you eventually have to play the whales that purchase their tickets at the step 4 and 5 level.

• Mphst18

Here is a rhetorical question, are they cutting the price of the things you can get with the FPPs by 1/3 as well.

• pulsar78

@jimfred82 said...

Yeah, I thought that was interesting. Make it sound like it’s a great new thing but the reality is it kind of seems to be worse…?

I was thinking the exact same thing. 1 in 10 are using the FPP system, so they do something that will make the players use it LESS? The incentives don’t seem any better than what they were offering. The last part “PLUS you’ll still earn 1 FPP per $1 in entry fees.” Oh goody. 1 whole point while you used to award 3?! Where do I sign up??? Perhaps they are not going to require as many points. That’s the only way I’d see it as an improvement.
    Or as someone posted as a separate topic… perhaps its an April Fools Joke.

• slcseas

But hey, DFS isn’t hurting at all. It’s still on the rise!

• nrberkeley

Correct me if I’m wrong but you get 4 fpp’s for every dollar spent. 1 fpp for .25 cent tournament. So this is a 75% reduction to the awarding of FPP’s?

After constructively doing away with the Refer-A-Friend program and the increase in rake in the past couple years, they are making it awfully difficult for the DFS middle class to continue to turn a profit.

• moneys72

Absolutely terrible change. They better lower the ticket FPP prices at least somewhat or what’s the point for the lower entry players? As it stands under the new $1=1FPP, you have to spend $150 on entries just to get a $0.25 entry, wow that’s so awesome.

• Agent47

@nrberkeley said...

Correct me if I’m wrong but you get 4 fpp’s for every dollar spent. 1 fpp for .25 cent tournament. So this is a 75% reduction to the awarding of FPP’s?

After constructively doing away with the Refer-A-Friend program and the increase in rake in the past couple years, they are making it awfully difficult for the DFS middle class to continue to turn a profit.

Yes, it’s 4 FPPs for every dollar spent. I’m curious to see how this will work, too. If the prices of things you can buy with your FPPs are proportionately reduced as well, then it’s a wash. But if the prices stay the same, that would be a bummer.

• BobGrinder

@nrberkeley said...

It actually varies depending on buy in. $1060 buy in rewards 2400 FPP, $333 = 900 FPP, lower buy ins give 4:1.

• Unico10

RG Overall Ranking

What was the yodeling sound of the early commercials?? Yahooohooo…

• bholloway

Hey guys,

I spoke with DKK COO Matt Kalish about this last night. He says the change was prompted by a lack of success with the FPP program, which is supposed to function as a player retention tool. They say less than 10 percent of players have ever redeemed FPP, and that the program wasn’t serving its purpose.

The hope is that by replacing the traditional FPP accrual method with one tied to Missions (which Kalish said have been much more popular) more players will be engaged in loyalty program.

It’ll be interesting to see how the change is received over the long term. So far, the reaction looks about like what I expected.

We should have a story posted on RG any minute now.

Edit: As promised, here’s the story talking with Kalish.

https://rotogrinders.com/articles/draftkings-announces-player-rewards-changes-1244004

• hoff211

RG Overall Ranking

• 2015 FanDuel MLB Playboy Mansion Finalist

Rake back? Nah… Missions!!

• nrberkeley

@bholloway said...

Hey guys,

I spoke with DKK COO Matt Kalish about this last night. He says the change was prompted by a lack of success with the FPP program, which is supposed to function as a player retention tool. They say less than 10 percent of players have ever redeemed FPP, and that the program wasn’t serving its purpose.

The hope is that by replacing the traditional FPP accrual method with one tied to Missions (which Kalish said have been much more popular) more players will be engaged in loyalty program.

It’ll be interesting to see how the change is received over the long term. So far, the reaction looks about like what I expected.

We should have a story posted on RG any minute now.

Maybe 10% of total players but what is the percent of players that are high volume/high frequency players? Those are the players they should be looking to reward. Who cares if a guy that played in one NFL Milly Maker never redeemed his FPP’s for a free entry in the Quarter Arcade.

Re: DK saying that every dollar resulted in 3 FPP’s when in actuality 4 FPP’s is rewarded for $1 tournaments seems to just be an outright lie (or at least severely misleading). Obviously DK has the prerogative to change their programs but it is just so offensive when they take something away and try and spin it as a positive that players should be excited about (though not as offensive as never sending anything out about the constructive end to the refer-a-friend program).

• BobGrinder

I wonder how many of their customers have no clue the rewards program even exists. Seriously if less than 10% of users have redeemed points (that can be used to buy into games just like cash) that should tell you something. Either they don’t know about the program or they are trying to save up for something.

Either way asking customers if they know about the program and then asking what they thought about it and how they would like to see it improved if they didn’t like the program is the way to go about it.

If past missions are any indication, very low limit players will get shafted because many missions will be for buy ins they can not or will not afford.

• jimmyrad

They did hint at fixing the rewards system a couple years ago. Of course we thought it was to make it better than 7% RB, not slash it to nothing.

• swedishchef

@BobGrinder said...

If past missions are any indication, very low limit players will get shafted because many missions will be for buy ins they can not or will not afford.

Also, 100k of their 150k in monthly freerolls is going towards the top tier that takes 20k in play to reach. That doesn’t leave much to spread between the other 3 tiers where most people will fall.

• Unico10

RG Overall Ranking

@BobGrinder said...

Seriously if less than 10% of users have redeemed points (that can be used to buy into games just like cash) that should tell you something. Either they don’t know about the program or they are trying to save up for something.

Maybe that statistic is inflated by all the new accounts that play only one time, win and never play again??

• AWoo

Terrible policy change by DK and the statistic is misleading.

• swedishchef

Guess this was their way of paying for the bailout of the site which shall remain nameless.

• bholloway

I’m fairly certain a wide majority of the players who are/were engaged in the current/former FPP system are on the high-volume end of the spectrum, and I’m sure they’re not going to be happy. I guess what DK has to weigh is the risk of alienating a very important part of their player base against better retention of more casual players (and saving some costs, of course).

• wolfjb1

DK and Matt Kalish clearly think all of their customers are idiots.

They’re severely devaluing the program. Which is their prerogative, of course, but to frame it as a positive step is an insult to the intelligence of every single player.

As everyone else has said, if it’s going to cost 75 % less to redeem FPPs for tickets, great, then it’s not a devaluation. But if that’s the case, then they might want to announce it, when they announce the devaluation.

• sutogame

The quarter arcade ticket was 150 FPP

So currently you need to spend $150 dollars to get a QArcade ticket but before it was
    $37.50 to get a quart arcade ticket since for every dollar it was 4 fpp.

If this is correct this is a major downgrade.

• pulsar78

Did they ever consider that those not using their points were actually saving them?
    In addition, they really don’t make it that easy to find on the app. A casual player probably has no idea how to even access the store. DraftKings certainly wasn’t doing themselves any favors by not making it that easy.
    On FanDuel, you at least had the option to choose whether you wanted to use cash or points whenever you enter a new lineup. On Draftkings, you have to “cash them in” for a ticket. And then you have to know how to use that ticket. All of us know how to do that, but I would seriously doubt the casual player did. Plus they could either be clueless or too lazy to use/redeem them.

Edit: On the app, the store isn’t even part of the application… they even say it is meant to be used on either a computer or a tablet. How about fixing that?

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).