MAIN FORUM

Comments

• dictator_teddy

RG Overall Ranking

• 2017 DraftKings FHWC Finalist

Instead of earning 3 FPP by $1 in contests now you get 1 FPP per $1 in contests. They give you freerolls that you can qualify for based on play level, and other daily incentives to earn additional FPP, but I think this really hurts the high volume players.

• Cobra_Kai

The FPP redemption will not change, otherwise there would be no point to lowering the FPP / dollars spent.

• jimfred82

• Blogger of the Month

Yep, unless there’s something we’re just not seeing, this is pretty weak. It really seems like they’re trying to turn a bad thing and word it like it’s a good thing as if we don’t understand it. You can paint a turd gold but it doesn’t become a golden nugget.

• bamaajg

how about instead of changing things you actually put things on the site people want. Like give me tickets to the masters, to a world series game, to a college football game, something of value.

• SouthernShield

@bamaajg said...

how about instead of changing things you actually put things on the site people want. Like give me tickets to the masters, to a world series game, to a college football game, something of value.

nvm.

• TheRyanFlaherty

I typed this up in the comments section to the story, but I’m putting it here as well.

I’ll have to wait and see these “challenges” before I can really make an informed decision.
    I am someone that did use my FPP and was pleased with the old system because I was able to accrue points quicker than I was on FanDuel.

From their standpoint it makes perfect sense.
    If you look at Social Media sites, video games, in-app purchase type games…They are all predicated on achievements. Get a like. Just do this and get a new level. Unlock a gun. etc. etc. That urge to be acknowledged and obtain something has become ingrained in our society.

Not to mention that sort of system promotes addictive behavior and can at times even be seen as predatory to those with such compulsions.
    We can argue DFS isn’t gambling, and I’d be the first to argue that winning takes skill, but I’m also not going to pretend DFS wouldn’t be attractive to someone who is strictly looking to gamble or is prone to compulsive behavior. I hate to be cynical, but this seems less about engagement and more about getting users to enter price points or sports they normally wouldn’t.

• tinderella

• 2016 FanDuel WFFC Finalist

• x3

2017 FanDuel WFBC Finalist

@bholloway said...

Hey guys,

I spoke with DKK COO Matt Kalish about this last night. He says the change was prompted by a lack of success with the FPP program, which is supposed to function as a player retention tool. They say less than 10 percent of players have ever redeemed FPP, and that the program wasn’t serving its purpose.

The hope is that by replacing the traditional FPP accrual method with one tied to Missions (which Kalish said have been much more popular) more players will be engaged in loyalty program.

It’ll be interesting to see how the change is received over the long term. So far, the reaction looks about like what I expected.

We should have a story posted on RG any minute now.

Edit: As promised, here’s the story talking with Kalish.

https://rotogrinders.com/articles/draftkings-announces-player-rewards-changes-1244004

what a bunch of hogwash. just call a price hike a price hike.

• Gfry3

@TheRyanFlaherty said...

I typed this up in the comments section to the story, but I’m putting it here as well.

I’ll have to wait and see these “challenges” before I can really make an informed decision.
    I am someone that did use my FPP and was pleased with the old system because I was able to accrue points quicker than I was on FanDuel.

From their standpoint it makes perfect sense.
    If you look at Social Media sites, video games, in-app purchase type games…They are all predicated on achievements. Get a like. Just do this and get a new level. Unlock a gun. etc. etc. That urge to be acknowledged and obtain something has become ingrained in our society.

Not to mention that sort of system promotes addictive behavior and can at times even be seen as predatory to those with such compulsions.
    We can argue DFS isn’t gambling, and I’d be the first to argue that winning takes skill, but I’m also not going to pretend DFS wouldn’t be attractive to someone who is strictly looking to gamble or is prone to compulsive behavior. I hate to be cynical, but this seems less about engagement and more about getting users to enter price points or sports they normally wouldn’t.

^^ This The challenges once in a while are fine but it gets the person who says ahh I have done 4 and 5 gets me 1 more step, I don’t ever play more than a $3 entry but sure I will do this $27 one. They just hit 9x in one swing. And like many have said seems like freerolls pay out about 1% and it is the player who spends so much they don’t care about a freeroll.

• Cal

RG CoFounder & Admin

RG Overall Ranking

• $1M Prize Winner

• x3

2019 DraftKings FFWC Finalist

@tinderella said...

what a bunch of hogwash. just call a price hike a price hike.

I’m not sure on the details of the total attribution of FPPs between the new system and the old, but this may be better characterized as a redistribution of FPPs instead of a price hike. High volume players’ FPPs are redistributed to the average players. This is a tangible and direct hit to high volume players. However, if this program accomplishes its goal of creating a better, more sustainable player ecosystem then high volume players will experience (difficult to quantify) benefits down the line.

• osuryanf

“They say less than 10 percent of players have ever redeemed FPP, and that the program wasn’t serving its purpose.”

Who’s to blame for that? The consumer?

Put the FPP link on the front page of the app as soon as the app opens. Boom, it’ll be easier accessed and more than 10% will begin using it.

Honestly, I doubt very many people even knew the FPP program existed. Again, who’s fault is that?

This is nothing but yet again another money ploy by a big company to make more dollars. And, yes, this is coming from someone who has made good money on their website. It is a great website for numerous reasons, but this is just another “hey if we say it’s because of THIS and not tell them it’s actually because of THAT we’ll make more money” scams.

• intimadator2007

I just used some of my points for couple DK t-shirts last month .

• deejones49

Maybe now they can lower the rake

• baseballs

this is the single greatest change in the history of DFS.

- tonytone1908

• nychas

LOL, Starbucks just announced the same thing with their loyalty program: “our #1 Request Will Soon Be A Reality” . What this means is that instead of a free item for every 12 trips, I will now get one for every 30th trip or so.

Dog Day Afternoon: Sonny: “Kiss me. When I’m being (treated like a fool), I like to get kissed a lot.”

• wolfjb1

@nychas said...

LOL, Starbucks just announced the same thing with their loyalty program: “our #1 Request Will Soon Be A Reality” . What this means is that instead of a free item for every 12 trips, I will now get one for every 30th trip or so.

Not the same thing. I’m pretty happy with the upcoming Starbucks change. I go in there and buy a cup of coffee for $2.85, I get a star. I go in there with my kids and spend $12 on coffee, bagels and a bunch of other stuff, and I get a star. Or, under the present system, I could make the clerk ring up all 6-7 items separately so I get a star for each item while the people in line silently stare me down, hoping I get mauled by a lion.

• osuryanf

@wolfjb1 said...

Not the same thing. I’m pretty happy with the upcoming Starbucks change. I go in there and buy a cup of coffee for $2.85, I get a star. I go in there with my kids and spend $12 on coffee, bagels and a bunch of other stuff, and I get a star. Or, under the present system, I could make the clerk ring up all 6-7 items separately so I get a star for each item while the people in line silently stare me down, hoping I get mauled by a lion.

Because how you look infront of people is clearly more important than saving money long term.

• anilprao88

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #14

RG Tiered Ranking

• 2017 DraftKings FFWC Finalist

• 2018 DraftKings FBWC Finalist

@osuryanf said...

Because how you look infront of people is clearly more important than saving money long term.

I don’t know about you, but I’m not so selfish to think that wasting a couple of minutes of 5 other people’s time and making the cashier’s job significantly more difficult is worth 50 cents.

• thehazyone

RG Contributor

• Blogger of the Month

I hate the Missions – forces you to play contests you have no interest in playing. Bad move by DK imo.

• mchin1027

You have the legislative issues with the states, and the NCAA just forced DK/FD to drop college sports.

With how much turmoil both operators are facing, don’t you think it’s fair that they’re taking steps to ensure their own survival?

Yes we’d all love more perks, but I think it’s reasonable for them to cut back on things given the situation in the industry. DK just bailed out an entire site after all…

• 1greatbuyz

• x3

2014 FanDuel WFFC Finalist

• 2014 FanDuel WFBC Finalist

Come on people 9 out of 10 people weren’t using the fpp’s. That means players were leaving a lot of money on the table. Draftkings is trying to shell out MORE money to the players by paying less. Everybody wins here! Wait……… I don’t actually believe that.

• kaetorade

• 2013 DraftStreet DSBBC Finalist

@mchin1027 said...

You have the legislative issues with the states, and the NCAA just forced DK/FD to drop college sports.

With how much turmoil both operators are facing, don’t you think it’s fair that they’re taking steps to ensure their own survival?

Yes we’d all love more perks, but I think it’s reasonable for them to cut back on things given the situation in the industry. DK just bailed out an entire site after all…

I do agree with a lot of your points, but what do you expect when you have a headline that says, ‘We’re Reinventing Our Player Rewards!’ Initially, I was pretty excited. Finally, they’re going to offer a real rewards program…then I finished reading the email. :(

• TheRyanFlaherty

While I stand by my initial statements and analysis – I did want to note just because I believe this is being done by DK to manipulate people into playing more (and specifically price points and sports they may not even have considered), that doesn’t mean that it won’t turn out profitable or simply fun to some people.

I think it’s natural for the majority of people on this site to be skeptical or see through this, because you play daily. You have routines, bankrolls, know which games/sports are more profitable to you, etc. You know how DFS works inside and out.
    When really this may be for casual players…they’re adding things that potentially make it more fun while you’re losing. If there is a potential positive in this, it could be that this is a system that keeps casual players around longer.

• Avgplayer

It is 4 FPP per dollar. I was saving up my points to use on a high dollar GPP.

WELCOME TO THE BIG TIME”.

• DannyTanner

It’s a new day and age of DFS where these companies have to act and think like a legit operation — the bottomless pit of cash and endless spending leading to an IPO are as good as gone. They’re in it for the long haul and have to make some unpopular decisions to keep things healthy now that the mega-growth is likely over for the time being.

Unfortunately, that also means that the best days for players are also over. With the edge growing smaller and smaller while the rake climbs higher and higher, it’s becoming an extremely tough landscape for anyone that relies on DFS for a significant amount of income.

• swedishchef

@TheRyanFlaherty said...

When really this may be for casual players…they’re adding things that potentially make it more fun while you’re losing. If there is a potential positive in this, it could be that this is a system that keeps casual players around longer.

I hope you are right, but I just don’t see it.

If 9 out of 10 people aren’t using the FPP system now to cash in rewards, why would it be any different if they earn the FPP points through missions rather than normal play? Also the majority of the free roll cash will be at a tier unattainable for the casual player. And assuming the flash bonus contests are similar to Fanduel’s happy hour, I don’t see many casual fans entering these contests as they will most likely fill quickly with people who can spend more time stalking the lobby. I know there is still much to be seen in how this plays out but at this point it looks like a cut for players at all levels.

• wolfjb1

@mchin1027 said...

Everyone agrees that it’s fair for them to do it, it’s just not right that they frame this as a good thing. FPPs are a form of currency, restricted only to usage on DK. Now they’re devaluing the currency and pretending they aren’t.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).