MAIN FORUM

Comments

• dictator_teddy

RG Overall Ranking

• 2017 DraftKings FHWC Finalist

Instead of earning 3 FPP by $1 in contests now you get 1 FPP per $1 in contests. They give you freerolls that you can qualify for based on play level, and other daily incentives to earn additional FPP, but I think this really hurts the high volume players.

• Chance

RG spoke to him yesterday about something announced today? This post is not fishy in any way.

https://rotogrinders.com/articles/draftkings-announces-player-rewards-changes-1244004

• Slah

• 2015 NASCAR Live Final Champion

How does this affect the hot sauce can I still buy it

• wazzu24

RG LoL Writer

One issue for me is that the value for these freerolls will be wasted for anyone who doesn’t play the sport they place the freeroll in. NHL players are going to be given freerolls into NBA contests, that’s basically a lock. Don’t play MLB, but are crushing golf? Too bad, wasted value.

• troveur

@mchin1027 said...

You have the legislative issues with the states, and the NCAA just forced DK/FD to drop college sports.

With how much turmoil both operators are facing, don’t you think it’s fair that they’re taking steps to ensure their own survival?

Yes we’d all love more perks, but I think it’s reasonable for them to cut back on things given the situation in the industry. DK just bailed out an entire site after all…

A voice of reason in a sea of self interest! 50K, 100K, $500K per state admittance fees, increased lobbying fees, and high priced lawyers all over the country for a company that wasn’t even turning a profit is kinda important. Perspective boys.

• TinkyTyler

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #59

RG Tiered Ranking

• 2016 DraftKings FFWC Finalist

• 2018 DraftKings FFWC Finalist

I’ve been saving my points for bigger entry tickets. Just because I haven’t been spending them doesn’t mean I wasn’t going to. Incredibly frustrating change.

• 1greatbuyz

• x3

2014 FanDuel WFFC Finalist

• 2014 FanDuel WFBC Finalist

@TinkyTyler said...

I’ve been saving my points for bigger entry tickets. Just because I haven’t been spending them doesn’t mean I wasn’t going to. Incredibly frustrating change.

I didn’t see this coming. I thought people weren’t using them because they didn’t like free money. 90% weren’t using them is hard for me to believe.

• sgaffney

It’s funny how DK brand this as a positive thing for its customers using stats like the 90% of customers don’t use them when the customer base was so unnaturally inflated by that ridiculous advertising blast during football season. The majority of those people are long gone and quite obviously didn’t bother to use their few hundred points. The people who stayed, and are posting on RG, overwhelmingly see this as a negative step.

I have used points in the past and it was actually quite nice to build them up over a few months and use them to buy a bunch of tickets for a high buy in contest. I understand they can never and would never do this, but it would be so refreshing for them to come out and say ‘Look, we’re under pressure on a number of fronts and for us to continue moving forward you, the customers, are going to have to pay’..

• Redskins4

@bholloway said...

Hey guys,

I spoke with DKK COO Matt Kalish about this last night. He says the change was prompted by a lack of success with the FPP program, which is supposed to function as a player retention tool. They say less than 10 percent of players have ever redeemed FPP, and that the program wasn’t serving its purpose.

The hope is that by replacing the traditional FPP accrual method with one tied to Missions (which Kalish said have been much more popular) more players will be engaged in loyalty program.

It’ll be interesting to see how the change is received over the long term. So far, the reaction looks about like what I expected.

We should have a story posted on RG any minute now.

Edit: As promised, here’s the story talking with Kalish.

https://rotogrinders.com/articles/draftkings-announces-player-rewards-changes-1244004

Does DK COO Matt Kalish think we’re stupid? Missions are much more popular!!!!!!!!!!!!

• cAUmberlandtiger8

@DannyTanner said...

It’s a new day and age of DFS where these companies have to act and think like a legit operation — the bottomless pit of cash and endless spending leading to an IPO are as good as gone. They’re in it for the long haul and have to make some unpopular decisions to keep things healthy now that the mega-growth is likely over for the time being.

Unfortunately, that also means that the best days for players are also over. With the edge growing smaller and smaller while the rake climbs higher and higher, it’s becoming an extremely tough landscape for anyone that relies on DFS for a significant amount of income.

Spot on IMO. I would also like to add that more regulation will add more costs that will be passed on to the player making it even more difficult to profit.

• TheRyanFlaherty

@swedishchef said...

I hope you are right, but I just don’t see it.

If 9 out of 10 people aren’t using the FPP system now to cash in rewards, why would it be any different if they earn the FPP points through missions rather than normal play? Also the majority of the free roll cash will be at a tier unattainable for the casual player. And assuming the flash bonus contests are similar to Fanduel’s happy hour, I don’t see many casual fans entering these contests as they will most likely fill quickly with people who can spend more time stalking the lobby. I know there is still much to be seen in how this plays out but at this point it looks like a cut for players at all levels.

It’s entirely how it’s framed.
    It goes back to my initial statements – Many of the games and sites we use have become governed by the idea of completing tasks and leveling up to feel a sense of accomplishment. This is DK attempting to do that.

The points were static and slowly accumulated. If you were losing you may never have a chance to use them, or at best maybe you get to a ticket that just gets you a chance at another contest you lose.

It remains to be seen how the missions specifically work, but I’m working under the assumption it is going to allow DK to manipulate the user and provide a sense of winning (or accomplishment) without even having to place in the money. It also gets you in the habit of checking in daily to the site and provides a sense of eagerness and mystery.
    You can say – Play X get 5 times reward points…Hey that’s even more than before.
    Play Y – Get a free ticket to X tomorrow…Hey double the chances to win.
    Play Z – Get a free shirt..Even if I lose I get something
    Or they specifically spoke of the Flash Bonus – Which again draws because it is forcing you to check in with the site daily (or more) and provides the allure of additional value or chance to win.

I could wind up totally off the mark with how they implement this….but if they were smart, that’s what I’d imagine they do… and that’s why I think it would be more appealing to a casual player than the current system.

• Avgplayer

LMFAO ….It was DIFFICULT for most players to use or were UNAWARE of FPP. So we made it HARDER.

You have to check your email everyday for MISSIONS! You have to check the lobby every hour for a FLASH BONUS. You have to SPEND more to reach the FREEROLL.

OH wait it gets better, The MISSIONS will included sports you DON’T PLAY. The FREEROLL will also be for sports you DON’T PLAY. Also the FLASH BONUS will be for sports you DON’T PLAY.

• StanHalen

I am having trouble determining if this means I should use my FPP for tickets today (3/31), before this takes effect tomorrow? I am one of the 90%, but was waiting for baseball season.

• Craptor

Your current FPP points value won’t change so it doesn’t really matter.

• dictator_teddy

RG Overall Ranking

• 2017 DraftKings FHWC Finalist

I am afraid the flash bonuses are going to kill any overlay that would pop up every once in awhile on DK.

• Cal

RG CoFounder & Admin

RG Overall Ranking

• $1M Prize Winner

• x4

2015 DraftKings FFWC Finalist

@StanHalen said...

I am having trouble determining if this means I should use my FPP for tickets today (3/31), before this takes effect tomorrow? I am one of the 90%, but was waiting for baseball season.

Just clarifying that existing FPP values and balances won’t be changed at all. You can use your existing FPPs for tickets whenever.

• Cal

RG CoFounder & Admin

RG Overall Ranking

• $1M Prize Winner

• x4

2015 DraftKings FFWC Finalist

@Chance said...

RG spoke to him yesterday about something announced today? This post is not fishy in any way.

This is something we’re considering doing more of – focusing more on player-centric news. DK informed us of the upcoming changes yesterday and Brent got to work on the article. We couldn’t post it until DK sent out their email today. I’m hoping to get more opportunities like this, especially with announcements for the live MLB finals on the horizon. There’s a lot DK would never share with us early – like the NCAA news today for example – but announcements like these loyalty changes should be right up our alley.

• TinkyTyler

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #59

RG Tiered Ranking

• 2016 DraftKings FFWC Finalist

• 2018 DraftKings FFWC Finalist

@1greatbuyz said...

I didn’t see this coming. I thought people weren’t using them because they didn’t like free money. 90% weren’t using them is hard for me to believe.

To be fair, I’m probably a unique case. I just can’t be bothered to do a bunch of clicking in their store for smaller items, so I’d rather save up for a bigger ticket than use the points I already have. At least the points I have didn’t depreciate, but I liked the goal of working towards the higher ticket items.

Getting into the big freeroll won’t really be a challenge, and this change certainly isn’t going to make me play more. It’s just a net rakeback loss from my perspective.

Edit: That said, I get why this might be better for casual players, so I’ll survive.

• MTro86

RG Writer

So what they’ve essentially done is raise an already substantial rake and tell us it’s to our benefit because they weren’t able to give away enough. I only played somewhere around $50 per week there during baseball season (often used my FPPs for free entries when account fell low too), but it feels like they’re making it very difficult for me to play there with any expectation of profit.

That said, they can do whatever they feel they need to do to make it more profitable. We have the option to play at sites with a better system or unfortunately, not play at all if we don’t like any of the systems. Far more people will probably not care or even understand the changes and continue to play. Make your voice be heard and educate people. You have outlets here and on social media. That’s all you can do. If, eventually it become more profitable for DK (and other sites) to give back more, they’ll do so.

• tclii85

• 1greatbuyz

• x3

2014 FanDuel WFFC Finalist

• 2014 FanDuel WFBC Finalist

@TinkyTyler said...

To be fair, I’m probably a unique case. I just can’t be bothered to do a bunch of clicking in their store for smaller items, so I’d rather save up for a bigger ticket than use the points I already have. At least the points I have didn’t depreciate, but I liked the goal of working towards the higher ticket items.

Getting into the big freeroll won’t really be a challenge, and this change certainly isn’t going to make me play more. It’s just a net rakeback loss from my perspective.

Edit: That said, I get why this might be better for casual players, so I’ll survive.

It makes perfect sense to me. I would assume many players try to save them up, kinda like the people that throw their change in a jug or big water bottle and then use it for a vacation at the end of the year. I was making light of the fact DK made sure to throw the statistic of (9 out of 10 players weren’t using their fpp’s) so they were making a change to create a better program.

• JRJ21215

Bad move.

• choppadown

I tried to use my FPP’s multiple times, usually a few minutes before lock to get into a higher buy in contest…every single time it failed.

Maybe that’s why only 10% of people were using them, 50% didn’t care or didn’t know and 40% couldn’t use them.

• dgriff

The first daily mission is now posted for tomorrow which is 100 points for playing a $3 or more in entry fees. If you are a small time player that is a good deal but for higher volume not as much.

• jregger

@dgriff said...

The first daily mission is now posted for tomorrow which is 100 points for playing a $3 or more in entry fees. If you are a small time player that is a good deal but for higher volume not as much.

Based on the FPP costs for a contest ticket in the store, you essentially get ~18 cents in FPP for your $3 entry fee…

HELLS YEAH WHAT A DEAL!!!!

• sutogame

@dgriff said...

If you mean 100 fpp for $3 that is quite a deal b/c the norm was 12 fpp for $3.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).