MAIN FORUM

Comments

• lilprog

First we get rid of late swap and now we have leagues that lock four hours early? I don’t get it?

• bhdevault

Lead Forum Mod

DK is offering 2 different types of contests for this 3 game slate. One with early lock, one without.

• lilprog

Ya I see that. What’s the purpose though? Only thing I can think of is because it’s Valentine’s Day?

• JaysFan9293

Maybe just a different kind of strategy involved? Take some risks with people that maybe sitting I’m guessing.

• elementasrat

@lilprog said...

First we get rid of late swap and now we have leagues that lock four hours early? I don’t get it?

You still have a choice……

• billholler

RG Overall Ranking

RG Overall Ranking
    • Ranked #91

RG Tiered Ranking

RG Tiered Ranking

Same thing I mentioned in other thread but if they were going to try this, why throw out terrible GPPs?

• db730

RG Admin

RG Overall Ranking

RG Overall Ranking
    • 2016 DraftKings FFWC Finalist

DraftKings FFWC Finalist
    • 2016 DraftKings FBBWC Finalist

DraftKings FBBWC Finalist

Someone mentioned on Twitter it could be b/c of Valentines Day & would allow people going out and still be able to play without worrying about their teams. I’m hopeful that is all it is. Don’t think it makes much sense otherwise.

• Pitch120

The complaining is unbelievable. Just dont play if you dont like it.

I dont get why getting two options draws questioning.

• tvsfrink

@db730 said...

I’m hopeful that is all it is.

Why?

What harm is there in doing stuff like this? As the guy just above me said, if you don’t like it, don’t play it.

• sgaffney

@tvsfrink said...

Why?

What harm is there in doing stuff like this? As the guy just above me said, if you don’t like it, don’t play it.

Yeah I agree, I don’t get how DK just giving us more options is a bad thing. There are plenty of legitimate grips with DK and the DFS landscape in general but offering their users more options and differing choices doesn’t seem like a big problem. I probably won’t play it but I actually think it’s a pretty cool idea

• w3stcoastoff3ns3

Here is a HUGE problem that I have with people in general, you can’t state your concern for something these days without people saying things like “just ignore it” or “just don’t play it”. OBVIOUSLY the OP and anyone else who thinks this early lock it pointless, fully understands that they have that option. That’s not the issue at hand here, imo. The issue is that DraftKings does not understand their customer base. I roam these forums daily and I have never seen anyone asking for a slate that locks early so they wont have to worry about injury news. The same way no one asked for the removal of late swap. I think these DFS companies have so many other things that they could approve on rather than making slates that lock early and removing late swap, etc. We are paying customers at the end of the day and we have a right to complain about the color of their user interface if that is what we desire. We are he ones who bankroll these companies and people seem to forget that.

• billholler

RG Overall Ranking

RG Overall Ranking
    • Ranked #91

RG Tiered Ranking

RG Tiered Ranking
    @w3stcoastoff3ns3 said...

We are paying customers at the end of the day and we have a right to complain about the color of their user interface if that is what we desire

Dude, don’t even mention that. I like the black background on my laptop. It helps us older guys who may not have 20/20 vision any more.

• tvsfrink

You guys who don’t like this have an actual complaint about how it affects you personally?

Is DK not offering a contest you like because they offered this slate instead?

• Razzle11

Here is a HUGE problem that I have with people in general, you can’t state your concern for something these days without people saying things like “just ignore it” or “just don’t play it”. OBVIOUSLY the OP and anyone else who thinks this early lock it pointless, fully understands that they have that option. That’s not the issue at hand here, imo. The issue is that DraftKings does not understand their customer base. I roam these forums daily and I have never seen anyone asking for a slate that locks early so they wont have to worry about injury news. The same way no one asked for the removal of late swap. I think these DFS companies have so many other things that they could approve on rather than making slates that lock early and removing late swap, etc. We are paying customers at the end of the day and we have a right to complain about the color of their user interface if that is what we desire. We are he ones who bankroll these companies and people seem to forget that.

If the customer base doesn’t want it, then the things will overlay and it’ll be a bad choice on DK’s end. If people want to play it for various reasons, then they can.

Your post comes across as somebody who doesn’t like the slate, which is fine, but you don’t have to go off when it affects absolutely nothing in regards to your play on DK.

You said it yourself, we bankroll these companies…and people are entering this early lock slate, so what does that say?

• Pitch120

Yeah, like, by DK offering this, how does it hurt you or affect you?

• billholler

RG Overall Ranking

RG Overall Ranking
    • Ranked #91

RG Tiered Ranking

RG Tiered Ranking
    @tvsfrink said...

You guys who don’t like this have an actual complaint about how it affects you personally?

I stuck 1 LU in a GPP for the early lock. Yes it seems dumb but I, nor anyone else that I see, is complaining about it. The only real complaint is that it adds a small element of luck since we don’t know the starting lineups for tonight. An industry that is trying to avoid being considered a game of luck should do everything it can to avoid giving anyone any reason to think it may be a game of luck.

• deactivated51600

I can see from DKs perspective why they’d put out a test contest like this. Can you imagine the possibilities from their perspective if it’s successful? Not only could they offer multiple slates for each day… they can start offering Multi-lock times for different slates and fill even more contests. Morning Lock, Noon Lock, Afternoon Lock, etc.. Imagine NFL season! Tuesday Lock, Wednesday Lock for Thursday Slate, Sunday Slate, Sunday PM, etc. . Could be a business move on their part to sneak in even more contests over time. It’s pretty obvious at this point that pretty much any contest they put out with a gtd prize pool is going to fill.

• db730

RG Admin

RG Overall Ranking

RG Overall Ranking
    • 2016 DraftKings FFWC Finalist

DraftKings FFWC Finalist
    • 2016 DraftKings FBBWC Finalist

DraftKings FBBWC Finalist

My problem is there are much better ways to innovate with different game styles, roster construction etc… as opposed so simply setting an earlier start time. I realize and respect they are in the business of making money and if they simply said “we are looking to maximize profit making ability so we are trying something out” I’d probably be less defensive because that is at least an honest answer…but it feels disingenuous to say we are doing it out of “demand for it”. In my 6 years of doing this I have not one time heard someone suggest this is something they would like. In fact, I’m guessing that 90%+ of those people who register to play this slate are also playing the 8:00 lock.

Saying they do it because of “demand” and yet they continue to ignore other things like pick’em & snake drafts for 3 years since they purchased DraftStreet and continue to not to offer other games that are Late Swap games for NBA which there is OBVIOUS demand for……that is what bothers me.

• BKLionKing

Dear lord I think you’re completely missing the point.

Believe it or not, the vast majority of people that play DFS and DK specifically do NOT post on the RG forums. I know, earth shattering news.

Believe it or not, there are people who deal with blow back from their significant others when they are consumed with following updates/news until tipoff (and formerly after with late swap).

Believe it or not, your right to complain is no different than their right to tell you to not play it. Again, shocking.

• Gfry3

Well said Dan, you are a great voice of reason! thanks for your input on this, your voice carries a lot of weight!

• Heterodox

@Razzle11 said...

If the customer base doesn’t want it, then the things will overlay and it’ll be a bad choice on DK’s end. If people want to play it for various reasons, then they can.

It’s not like there’s no cost to that, and any cost borne by the sites is eventually passed on to us, whether directly through rake or indirectly through the effect that bad experiments can have on the amount and types of things they will be willing to experiment on in the future.

• madmanjayWV

@db730 said...

My problem is there are much better ways to innovate with different game styles, roster construction etc… as opposed so simply setting an earlier start time. I realize and respect they are in the business of making money and if they simply said “we are looking to maximize profit making ability so we are trying something out” I’d probably be less defensive because that is at least an honest answer…but it feels disingenuous to say we are doing it out of “demand for it”. In my 6 years of doing this I have not one time heard someone suggest this is something they would like. In fact, I’m guessing that 90%+ of those people who register to play this slate are also playing the 8:00 lock.

Saying they do it because of “demand” and yet they continue to ignore other things like pick’em & snake drafts for 3 years since they purchased DraftStreet and continue to not to offer other games that are Late Swap games for NBA which there is OBVIOUS demand for……that is what bothers me.

DK is in the business of making MONEY?
    What have they made PROFIT in the last few years? You got the #s? I’d like to see their PROFIT statements from the last 4-5 years.

• Razzle11

@Heterodox said...

It’s not like there’s no cost to that, and any cost borne by the sites is eventually passed on to us, whether directly through rake or indirectly through the effect that bad experiments can have on the amount and types of things they will be willing to experiment on in the future.

You think that they spent hours and hours on this idea? I guess I would think it only took a really short time to put together…..

• rebkell

@Razzle11 said...

You think that they spent hours and hours on this idea? I guess I would think it only took a really short time to put together…..

Probably none at all.

They could have run conference games today, Western Conference vs Western Conference only games and/or Eastern Conference vs Eastern Conference games and Interconference only East vs West. To break up some of this mammoth slate and still had a decent amount of games in the slates.

• tvsfrink

@madmanjayWV said...

DK is in the business of making MONEY?
    What have they made PROFIT in the last few years? You got the #s? I’d like to see their PROFIT statements from the last 4-5 years.

Just because they’re BAD at it doesn’t mean it’s not their GOAL.

• Njsum1

Is it that difficult to see that DK did an early lock just because it was Valentine’s day? The slate didn’t start til 8pm, a time when most people with significant others would be out to dinner\on a date. The early lock allowed those people a contest with even footing, as those out for the night wouldn’t be able to check news. It’s not like they did the early lock on a random Tuesday. Don’t see why this thread even needs to exist. Jmho

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Sites mentioned in this thread

Use our links to sign up and deposit on sites listed in this thread to get these bonuses:

• FanDuel

Get a FREE 3-month subscription to our FanDuel Premium content (a ~$90 value) by signing up through one of our links!

Learn More
  • DraftKings

Sign up for DraftKings using a RotoGrinders link & receive our DraftKings Premium content FREE for 3 months. That’s a ~$90 value! No DraftKings promo code necessary!

Learn More
  • FantasyDraft

Sign up for FantasyDraft through one of our links and say you were referred by “GRINDERS” to receive a cashback bonus of 4% on all entry fees (up to $5,000) for 90 days after your first deposit. You’ll also receive a comped 3-month subscription to our FantasyDraft Premium content, an additional ~$90 value FREE!

Learn More
  • Draft

Create your account using Draft promo code “GRINDERS” and receive a free $3 Entry as well as TONS of exclusive Grinders-only perks.

Learn More

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week. Our goal is to help all of our members make more money playing daily fantasy sports!

Disclosures: All RotoGrinders content contributors are active DFS players. Contributor screen names can be found on their respective RotoGrinders profile pages. Contributors reserve the right to use players or strategies not discussed in their content on RotoGrinders.