RSD FORUM

Comments

• 1F8LDraft

I am fairly new to DFS and was curious on a few things in regards to ROI %.

Should you look at your ROI % on a daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly or annual basis? All of the above?

I am also curious in the land of DFS what is a mediocre, good and elite ROI %?

• gvn2fly1421

This is very subtle here…. Congrats on the good month!!

• mogizzle

lmao sick bro. aka you binked one tourney

• Messiah717

1000% or you’re doing it wrong.

• SA16

In general anything about 210% is considered good.

• 1F8LDraft

I began playing in the beginning of December. I didn’t “bink” one tournament. NFL December 16th first place finish early only GPP $7,500.00. December 24th showdown NFL GPP first place $3,000.00.

Can someone please answer my question in the long run what’s a mediocre, above average and elite ROI?

I understand this is a small sample which is why I am asking.

Thank you!

• bigez952

@1F8LDraft said...

I began playing in the beginning of December. I didn’t “bink” one tournament. NFL December 16th first place finish early only GPP $7,500.00. December 24th showdown NFL GPP first place $3,000.00.

Can someone please answer my question in the long run what’s a mediocre, above average and elite ROI?

I understand this is a small sample which is why I am asking.

Thank you!

Your asking a question impossible to answer as it is all opinion based of what people would considered a good or elite ROI.

Any ROI that is a positive number is good in my books.

• gordylamb

RG Overall Ranking

Whatever a good ROI is, a sample size of 3-4 NFL weeks is not nearly enough to determine what it truly is.

• TheRyanFlaherty

You’re getting the responses that you are because a quick check of the (current) average results on DK the past 30 days shows – 14 % of players had a net profit.
    That’s an actual number. So if someone wants to say “any profit” is good or elite its not being snarky it’s because turning any sort of profit puts you in the top 10% or so of players.

• stv1313

When I determine my own ROI, I use total wagers as the basis. As such, if I start a week with $1,000 in my account and finish the week with $1,100, my ROI is not as simple as 10% ($100 divided by $1,000). Instead, if I wager $300/day for 7 consecutive days and came out $100 ahead, my ROI is actually 4.76% ($100 divided by $2,100). Using this methodology, you can calculate ROI daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, or annually.

As for the definition of a mediocre, good, or elite ROI . . . that can be rather subjective. If I could have made more than 4.76% investing $2,100 in the stock market during the week, one could argue that my ROI was poor. Conversely, if the market had taken a dive during the week (which seems to be happening lately), I’d argue that the 4.76% return is pretty darn elite.

As pointed out, only 14% of users on DK have made any money during the past 30 days. I’d say that the other 86% would have been much happier if their ROI during the past month were 0.1%. When you factor in the potential tax liability that the 14% of winners may be facing, one really starts to appreciate anyone who makes any money regularly playing DFS.

• anilprao88

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #16

RG Tiered Ranking

• 2017 DraftKings FFWC Finalist

• 2018 DraftKings FBWC Finalist

You are asking the wrong questions. You can look at your ROI over whatever timeframe you please. If you want to know how long it would take you to get a reasonable estimate of how profitable you should be going forward, I suspect the answer is you would need multiple seasons worth of data, assuming the player base and contests haven’t changed much. Given that that stuff is constantly in flux, I think the entire endeavor is futile (for NFL). If you think you have an edge, and historically you’ve done alright, then go for it. At the same time, don’t get carried away based on a few weeks or even months of data.

• Morley

1FL8

Welcome to the world of getting advice from your opponent in a zero sum game.

Even the people who would want to answer this for you don’t even know themselves because they would only know their own ROI and for most of them it’d be in the negative.

Basically those who are regularly profitable have no incentive to help you and by doing so lower their own ROI and the majority are just sour grapes.

I will say though that your sample size makes this an irrelevant and futile exercise.

Just looking at your post here, you have 9.4k in profit and 10.5k coming from binking not one but two GPPs. I’ll let you draw your own conclusions on that.

It’s very common for someone to Bink a gpp, think they are a genius and then go hog wild and be broke soon enough.

One guy here who’d I’d never seen before hit yahtzee on gpp, mentioned it on the forum and the next week he was suddenly a high roller sitting all the high stakes stuff when before I never saw him do any volume at even $1. I imagine he lost it all because he’s now MIA again.

• lpdev

@Morley said...

Basically those who are regularly profitable have no incentive to help you and by doing so lower their own ROI and the majority are just sour grapes.

I seriously doubt sharing one’s ROI could help another player at DFS. If your ROI were to go down after sharing it on a forum, it would be quite hard to prove that it was the result of sharing it that caused the decrease. This assessment seems a bit far fetched.

• lpdev

@stv1313 said...

When I determine my own ROI, I use total wagers as the basis. As such, if I start a week with $1,000 in my account and finish the week with $1,100, my ROI is not as simple as 10% ($100 divided by $1,000). Instead, if I wager $300/day for 7 consecutive days and came out $100 ahead, my ROI is actually 4.76% ($100 divided by $2,100). Using this methodology, you can calculate ROI daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, or annually.

As for the definition of a mediocre, good, or elite ROI . . . that can be rather subjective. If I could have made more than 4.76% investing $2,100 in the stock market during the week, one could argue that my ROI was poor. Conversely, if the market had taken a dive during the week (which seems to be happening lately), I’d argue that the 4.76% return is pretty darn elite.

I don’t like this comparison because you likely never had $2,100 in your DFS account. To go with an extreme example: A player could put $1 into DFS and play for a year. Their entry fee’s could total $880,000 and their winnings total $900,000. They turned their $1 in to $20,000 playing a high volume. This player may have never had more than $40,000 in the DFS account at any point in time. For this reason, it’s not fair to compare the DFS ROI using entry fees and winnings total to utilizing $880,000 through a different investment method.

• Morley

@lpdev said...

I don’t like this comparison because you likely never had $2,100 in your DFS account. To go with an extreme example: A player could put $1 into DFS and play for a year. Their entry fee’s could total $880,000 and their winnings total $900,000. They turned their $1 in to $20,000 playing a high volume. This player may have never had more than $40,000 in the DFS account at any point in time. For this reason, it’s not fair to compare the DFS ROI using entry fees and winnings total to utilizing $880,000 through a different investment method.

His system is correct though, you’re the one fudging numbers. You need to calculate based on how much was risked not what you deposited. This is how poker ROI is calculated as well.

Look at it this way, if you applied your system and deposited 10k but only played a quarter each night and at the end of the year you’ve wagered $75 in total and did well to turn it into $250 then do you have an ROI of just 2.5% because your include the 10k or not?

You see what I did there?

What you’re doing isn’t a real ROI measurement but rather just patting yourself on the back and telling yourself what a good boy you’ve been.

And yeah, if I’m a cash game player, the last thing I’m doing is talking about my ROI and killing action when people Google my username before sitting my h2h and find me here talking about how great I am at DFS. Rotogrinders makes it incredibly easy to game select.

• mambaland

@mogizzle said...

lmao sick bro. aka you binked one tourney

when you gonna hit one bro

• thedude404

• 2015 FanDuel NBA Playboy Mansion Finalist

Time periods are meaningless. You need to look at your ROI over how many contests you enter. You should get a pretty good idea after you enter 1,000 + contests.

As far as comparing yourself to others……if you consider a mediocre player as “average”, that would mean you would have a negative ROI because the vast majority of people that play DFS lose money. A good player is probably breaking even or has a slightly negative ROI. An elite player would be among the 15% of DFS players that actually show a profit and a positive ROI.

So over 1000+ contests you enter and you are showing a 20%+ ROI, that would probably put you at the very top of the elite players….I’m guessing top 5%. That’s pure guessing on my part. I’d be interested to hear what others think.

• lpdev

@Morley said...

His system is correct though, you’re the one fudging numbers. You need to calculate based on how much was risked not what you deposited. This is how poker ROI is calculated as well.

Look at it this way, if you applied your system and deposited 10k but only played a quarter each night and at the end of the year you’ve wagered $75 in total and did well to turn it into $250 then do you have an ROI of just 2.5% because your include the 10k or not?

You see what I did there?

What you’re doing isn’t a real ROI measurement but rather just patting yourself on the back and telling yourself what a good boy you’ve been.

And yeah, if I’m a cash game player, the last thing I’m doing is talking about my ROI and killing action when people Google my username before sitting my h2h and find me here talking about how great I am at DFS. Rotogrinders makes it incredibly easy to game select.

I wasn’t disagreeing with that system of measuring ROI. I was merely pointing out that you can’t make a direct comparison to another investment method over the same time period using total entry fees payed as your capital for the other investment. You never had that kind of capital.

I can see your point on cash games. I don’t play cash at all personally.

• zpruitt3

I think you are the greatest dfs player of all time, thats the only explanation. Don’t listen to these nerds talking about sample size, they never won anything.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).