MAIN FORUM

Comments

• winnerchickendinner

So apparently DraftKings is offering One Billion, yes thats right, One Billion dollars if you draft the perfect lineup in week one. Now that is not the highest score out of all the lineups entered. It means out of all the possible combinations that you had the highest combo possible. Its free and Im stoked to see if its offered throughout the whole season. Can you imagine not getting a million but a Billion this season????!!!!!!

• bigez952

There is probably a better chance at hitting the lottery than a perfect NFL lineup on a single entry. It would be pretty nuts if all the chalk went insane and the perfect combo fell right around the $50,000 mark giving someone a chance to hit it. That would for sure make for a great Sunday knowing you never have to work again. Can’t argue with a free chance to win 1 billion dollars though and it is a neat promotion.

• Sol88

• TheRyanFlaherty

Yeah, this is a pretty creative way to get people to sign up or log back in.
    This is the type of thing that gets people who’ve never even considered DFS to take a few minutes to sign up and make a team.
    I’m not sure what their paying for insurance to run this (usually how stuff like this is offered and guessing it’s the case here), but they must have deemed it worth it in relation to the potential attach rate of those players depositing real money at some point.
    I would bet against it being a weekly occurabce though, but I guess that depends on what the insurance is, as I mentioned. If it works, I wouldn’t be surprised though to see it pop back up as a mid-season promo to bring people back again.

• PigskinaBlanket

RG Overall Ranking

RG Overall Ranking
    • Ranked #76

RG Tiered Ranking

RG Tiered Ranking
    • x2

2016 DraftKings FGWC Finalist

DraftKings FGWC Finalist

Just the idea of someone being live for the Billy Goat going into Monday night would be amazeballs.

• TJF74

Has a perfect lineup ever been done in recent years or has anybody come close? One entry per user is going to make it tough.

• yisman

perfect lineup never happens

this is like when they kept bumping the prize for the NCAA perfect bracket because everyone knows it won’t happen

much better odds of hitting some lottery jackpot than making a perfect lineup in the 17 weeks of NFL

• PigskinaBlanket

RG Overall Ranking

RG Overall Ranking
    • Ranked #76

RG Tiered Ranking

RG Tiered Ranking
    • x2

2016 DraftKings FGWC Finalist

DraftKings FGWC Finalist

I saw a post saying in 2015, someone got within 3.5 points. Never been done otherwise

• IronMonkey415

Lets dream with me.

I would take the Lump Sum of $300 Million.

What about you guys?
    Lump Sum or 5 million every year for 51 years?

• tonedefrob

@IronMonkey415 said...

Lump Sum or 5 million every year for 51 years?

Money today is worth more than money tomorrow. Always take the lump sum. You could invest 2/3 of the ~$150 million you’d get after taxes and be perfectly set on the returns and interest alone. Do it right and you can out earn the $5 million a year you’d be getting the other way. Play it safe and you can still guarantee a million in income per year.

• yisman

@tonedefrob said...

Money today is worth more than money tomorrow. Always take the lump sum. You could invest 2/3 of the ~$150 million you’d get after taxes and be perfectly set on the returns and interest alone. Do it right and you can out earn the $5 million a year you’d be getting the other way. Play it safe and you can still guarantee a million in income per year.

in terms of the lottery, you’re actually better off not taking the lump sum, FYI

in terms of how the taxes work out, etc.

and that’s factoring in inflation.

• escot4

RG Overall Ranking

RG Overall Ranking
    • x2

$2M Prize Winner

$2M Prize Winner
    • Ranked #77

RG Tiered Ranking

RG Tiered Ranking
    • 2016 DraftKings FFWC Champion

DraftKings FFWC Champion

I’ve been a big fan of the DK main slate tournaments up to this point, but I think this one is pretty ridiculous. It bothers me because it’s just about impossible and they know that, but I guess ignorant customers make the best targets. That said, hopefully somebody does actually beat the odds of 99.99999999999% that it won’t happen.

• makeitra1n

@TheRyanFlaherty said...

Yeah, this is a pretty creative way to get people to sign up or log back in.
    This is the type of thing that gets people who’ve never even considered DFS to take a few minutes to sign up and make a team.
    I’m not sure what their paying for insurance to run this (usually how stuff like this is offered and guessing it’s the case here), but they must have deemed it worth it in relation to the potential attach rate of those players depositing real money at some point.
    I would bet against it being a weekly occurabce though, but I guess that depends on what the insurance is, as I mentioned. If it works, I wouldn’t be surprised though to see it pop back up as a mid-season promo to bring people back again.

+1

Props for the creativity

I doubt dk even has a bill to give.they may have a bill in total assets or player funds but not just lying around.

This is similar to the perfect ncaa bracket.not saying it can’t be done but probably a similar likelihood of the sun exploding or aliens invading earth

• escot4

RG Overall Ranking

RG Overall Ranking
    • x2

$2M Prize Winner

$2M Prize Winner
    • Ranked #77

RG Tiered Ranking

RG Tiered Ranking

DraftKings FFWC Champion
    @makeitra1n said...

This is similar to the perfect ncaa bracket.not saying it can’t be done but probably a similar likelihood of the sun exploding or aliens invading earth

Yeah, they probably have a contingency plan to blow up the sun if somebody does win it… or file bankruptcy.

• Unico10

RG Overall Ranking

RG Overall Ranking
    @escot4 said...

I’ve been a big fan of the DK main slate tournaments up to this point, but I think this one is pretty ridiculous. It bothers me because it’s just about impossible and they know that, but I guess ignorant customers make the best targets. That said, hopefully somebody does actually beat the odds of 99.99999999999% that it won’t happen.

It’s impossible but also harmless since it’s free…. one could argue that the MM is much more predatory on ignorant customers.

• Unico10

RG Overall Ranking

RG Overall Ranking
    @TheRyanFlaherty said...

I’m not sure what their paying for insurance to run this

Looking at the promotion, this is covered by several insurance companies.
    My guess is that the premium is not as significant as we may think since it’s mathematically nearly impossible… several companies pooled up to share the risk because in the 0.0000000001% chance it happens the loss would be more sustainable

• BRORANNOSAURUS_FLEX

RG Overall Ranking

RG Overall Ranking
    • 2016 DraftKings FFWC Finalist

DraftKings FFWC Finalist
    @escot4 said...

You do realize this contest is free to enter, right?

• sethayates

@escot4 said...

Yeah, they probably have a contingency plan to blow up the sun if somebody does win it… or file bankruptcy.

What do you guys think? Did they insure this or just take the risk that no one will actually win it? When Quicken Loans ran the perfect NCAA bracket challenge Warren Buffet and Berkshire Hathaway insured it. They wouldn’t say how much they charged but a professor at Duke estimated the policy would have cost around $15M. In this case, DK will have fewer entries than that contest. I would think that makes the policy slightly cheaper but would guess this would still cost $10M+ to insure.

Source: http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/national/2014/03/24/324158.htm

So what do you guys think is harder? Setting a perfect DK lineup or having a perfect NCAA bracket?

• Unico10

RG Overall Ranking

RG Overall Ranking
    @sethayates said...

What do you guys think? Did they insure this or just take the risk that no one will actually win it? When Quicken Loans ran the perfect NCAA bracket challenge Warren Buffet and Berkshire Hathaway insured it. They wouldn’t say how much they charged but a professor at Duke estimated the policy would have cost around $15M. In this case, DK will have fewer entries than that contest. I would think that makes the policy slightly cheaper but would guess this would still cost $10M+ to insure.

Source: http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/national/2014/03/24/324158.htm

So what do you guys think is harder? Setting a perfect DK lineup or having a perfect NCAA bracket?

It’s insured by Swiss Re, Lloyd, Pardus and CFC (I think…. logo is really small)

• sethayates

@Unico10 said...

It’s insured by Swiss Re, Lloyd, Pardus and CFC (I think…. logo is really small)

Yeah, I see that now. I guess that answers the question

• escot4

RG Overall Ranking

RG Overall Ranking
    • x2

$2M Prize Winner

$2M Prize Winner
    • Ranked #77

RG Tiered Ranking

RG Tiered Ranking

DraftKings FFWC Champion
    @Unico10 said...

It’s impossible but also harmless since it’s free…. one could argue is much more predatory on ignorant customers the MM.

True. That said, the millionaire maker is much better this year than it used to be. I remember when 45% went to 1st place alone. Now the top 3,000+ don’t even combine for 45% of the prize pool. You can actually expect to profit if you do well now.

• makeitra1n

@Unico10 said...

Looking at the promotion, this is covered by several insurance companies.
    My guess is that the premium is not as significant as we may think since it’s mathematically nearly impossible… several companies pooled up to share the risk because in the 0.0000000001% chance it happens the loss would be more sustainable

So that’s how these things work?I’ve always wondered.I mean for like the cbs or espn way.Warren Buffett probably would just give a bill of his own money lol

• makeitra1n

@makeitra1n said...

So that’s how these things work?I’ve always wondered.I mean for like the cbs or espn way.Warren Buffett probably would just give a bill of his own money lol

Or not.somebody said buffet insured it too.learn new things every day

• wolfjb1

@Unico10 said...

And as someone in the legal/insurance industry, I’ll just add that based on Swiss Re’s involvement, you can tell that it’s not only insured, but there is insurance on the insurance (a.k.a. re-insurance).

Legal Sports Reports says the odds are about one in two trillion.

Not a bad risk if you’re the insurance company.

• tarheelsrule44

Jokes on them. I’m going to hit the billion dollar lineup and then short a billion dollars worth of Swiss Re stock and win twice!

• franckyfranck

Hahaha ! Guys , this is peanuts for these insurance companies especially the likes of Swiss Re and Lloyd . If you knew the premium to pay for physical commodities trading ( Oil , metals , agriculture etc.. ) , you’d not believe it . Insurance Co’s are one of the best MILK MAKERS in this world !!

I’ll just provide an example – not detailed .

You go through a insurance broker who manages the contract through insurers and reinsurers .

For a small oil trading firm ( ie. 50,000 Metric tons of crude/refined products per shipment) , you could get a 0.035% premium rate – if not lower .

At $480/ MT , your fee for shipping 50K of Gasoil ( + $24M USD ) would come around 840,000$ …and get this , premium are due on a quarterly basis :)

Insuring a $1B prize has its cost for sure . These guys prepared themselves for this . They know what they’re doing !

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Sites mentioned in this thread

Use our links to sign up and deposit on sites listed in this thread to get these bonuses:

• FanDuel

Get a FREE 3-month subscription to our FanDuel Premium content (a ~$90 value) by signing up through one of our links!

Learn More
  • DraftKings

Sign up for DraftKings using a RotoGrinders link & receive our DraftKings Premium content FREE for 3 months. That’s a ~$90 value! No DraftKings promo code necessary!

Learn More
  • FantasyDraft

Sign up for FantasyDraft through one of our links and say you were referred by “GRINDERS” to receive a cashback bonus of 4% on all entry fees (up to $5,000) for 90 days after your first deposit. You’ll also receive a comped 3-month subscription to our FantasyDraft Premium content, an additional ~$90 value FREE!

Learn More
  • Draft

Create your account using Draft promo code “GRINDERS” and receive a free $3 Entry as well as TONS of exclusive Grinders-only perks.

Learn More

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week. Our goal is to help all of our members make more money playing daily fantasy sports!

Disclosures: All RotoGrinders content contributors are active DFS players. Contributor screen names can be found on their respective RotoGrinders profile pages. Contributors reserve the right to use players or strategies not discussed in their content on RotoGrinders.