INDUSTRY FORUM

Comments

• Ross

DraftKings Statement – 10/7

http://playbook.draftkings.com/uncategorized/draftkings-statement-1072015/ (Text below)

“As a leader in the Daily Fantasy Sports industry, we take the trust of our community very seriously and remain fiercely committed to the integrity of DraftKings’ Daily Fantasy Sports product.

Effectively immediately, DraftKings employees will be permanently prohibited from participation in any public daily fantasy games for money. We will also prohibit employees from any Daily Fantasy Sports contest operator from participating in games on DraftKings. We are glad to see that others in the industry have followed suit and believe that this is an important next step in retaining the trust of our players.

DraftKings has engaged a legal team from Greenberg Traurig, led by former United States Attorney John Pappalardo, to review our findings and conduct an investigation specific to the allegations against one of our employees. We will release the summary of those findings upon completion.

Furthermore, in order to maximize the integrity of our product and the protection of our players, we have been working with Greenberg Traurig to advise us on ensuring that our policies and practices are second to none.

DraftKings’ explosive growth is a testament to our ability to deepen our fans’ engagement with the sports they love. We are committed to reinforcing the trust and security of our millions of loyal customers.”

• hellokitty7

well, i thought i was pretty concise in my response. I don’t know what he did or didn’t do, or what others have done or haven’t done. I would like the DFS sites to tell me that someone in their company can’t access real time rosters or what the percentages are.

I’ll kick in a few lineups b/c i can, it gives me more interest in games i typically wouldn’t care about nor watch, and i have a slightly higher chance than the 0% chance my boss is going to give me a few hundred k on monday.

Why are you getting so defensive? You seem pretty active across all DFS sites. I would think that you would like the DFS to continue to proliferate and provide more assurances they were on the up and up.

• DoughSavant

@MrSnuffleupagus said...

Stars was operating illegally. Kings is a company out of usa. No funds will be seized and will not go down like black Friday.

Mook of the Century hired by DK. This impulsive dude is suppose to be some calculating math genius?!!

• katho54

FD/DK will not go down any time soon…Too many big corporate names involved….Not to mention BIG money

• PigskinSleepers

@MrFantasy said...

It would take them 10 minutes to look up the DK employees accounts on FD and look at their gross winnings.

Are you saying FanDuel has everyone’s employment info? If you really think this would only take 10 minutes to pull….

• bigloser11

@Bschneidewind said...

In your opinion, with your experience, isn’t it odd they were able to come up with the $6 million figure so quickly after the story broke without a deep and thorough investigation?

It would depend on a few things , it may/may not have played into the site delaying a response.
    How good/bad their data is, how quickly they can pull up info and match it to employee ids etc.
    It is still possible info could be given to ‘straw men’ to play. IMO, the straw man issue would hurt the industry far greater than the current news.jml

• terry1111111

right I’ve always wondered that same thing..

• fmarriott22

@MrSnuffleupagus said...

Can anyone tell me how we can stop an employee from giving his inside info to a friend ?

The answer lies in what safeguards are in place to protect the data. Many have stated that “some” IT individuals need to have access to the data for the purpose of troubleshooting/support. However, I can tell you that you can build a ‘production’ system, which provides all the support tools needed, which also safeguards the data. This is all about bringing in software experts in the ‘data arena’, of which DK and FD can easily afford, based on how much money they are throwing away on advertising….which in my opinion, is putting the cart before the horse.

• eddiemunstor

No one needs access to the entries in contests so no one should have access to it. Only the following Tuesday should it be available. Then lets see how many new guys with single entries take the top prize which happens frequently.

• DabsAndFrags

I think it’s likely the straw men issue would conceive it’s self from an issue/event like this. Obviously no one felt the need to run shit through straw men up until now, they didn’t think they were doing anything wrong and were rather open about it.

After this whole situation you can start to worry about straw men. But up until recently I just see it as highly unlikely that a person pays someone for a job they don’t need done. It wasn’t “wrong” or against any rules before this.

• dude_abides7

@RRT said...

DraftKings’ explosive growth is a testament to our ability to deepen our fans’ engagement with the sports they love.

Sorry, but some could attest that your explosive growth could be due to the introduction and coloration of multi-entry and scripting that has allowed a small minority of your user base to define the direction of your company’s “growth” at the expense of the other 99% of your users .

• Njcop2001

@MrFantasy said...

It would take them 10 minutes to look up the DK employees accounts on FD and look at their gross winnings.

I don’t remember filling out the “occupation” field when I opened my FD account.

• MikeMineo

@Njcop2001 said...

I don’t remember filling out the “occupation” field when I opened my FD account.

it’s very easy to match DK employee social security #s with users on FD who have same social security #s, which is essential for a user to provide if they win over $600 and want their $. no “occupation” field necessary to obtain this data, obviously. DK can find FD employees on their site by using same protocol.

this is what the federal investigation is doing, anyway, already asking for elaborate details regarding any employee with access to data and/or who played on competing sites. you can bet that social security #s are one of the things they’ll be handing over to further study the going-ons of employees with accounts at other DFS sites.

• jecarl2

Was the employee fired???

• eddiemunstor

@jecarl2 said...

I would think for the sake of PR they wouldn’t fire him so quickly. To do so this quick would just add fuel to the fire and thwart their attempts at minimizing this all to just a mistake of posting info too soon.

• depalma13

@jecarl2 said...

Well, if they are anything like the company I work for, the employee would get promoted.

• travs424

i wish someone could explain this to me like i was 5 years old so i could understand.

DFS is the least proactive industry on the face of the earth, they only make changes to benefit their bank account or get new users,

but everyone is saying from sites to rg writers to respected players in the industry that no one cheated, no one did anything wrong, he only had the info after lock, nothing bad happened everyone is making a big deal out of nothing.

but now there are going to be changes to make sure this doesnt happen in the future.

what happen ?? according to everyone except the crazy tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy guys nothing happen, so why do we need new policies and changes to stop nothing from happening??? AGAIN ???

I posted this on a different thread and i believe it, the investigation is going to find something and when it does the people involved are going to spill all the info to cut a deal to avoid lawsuits and possibly jail. there wont be enough buses in boston to throw people under.

if you know something about any kind of cheating you should be running to a lawyer and working out a deal, the first to squeal gets the deal….

DFS sites dont change there policies and make changes because nothing happened.

• eddiemunstor

@travs424 said...

i wish someone could explain this to me like i was 5 years old so i could understand.

DFS is the least proactive industry on the face of the earth, they only make changes to benefit their bank account or get new users,

but everyone is saying from sites to rg writers to respected players in the industry that no one cheated, no one did anything wrong, he only had the info after lock, nothing bad happened everyone is making a big deal out of nothing.

but now there are going to be changes to make sure this doesnt happen in the future.

what happen ?? according to everyone except the crazy tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy guys nothing happen, so why do we need new policies and changes to stop nothing from happening??? AGAIN ???

I posted this on a different thread and i believe it, the investigation is going to find something and when it does the people involved are going to spill all the info to cut a deal to avoid lawsuits and possibly jail. there wont be enough buses in boston to throw people under.

if you know something about any kind of cheating you should be running to a lawyer and working out a deal, the first to squeal gets the deal….

DFS sites dont change there policies and make changes because nothing happened.

Good point.

I don’t think they’ll find anything though unless these idiots were exceptionally brazen with their communications (email/text trains). Of course they try and pull a Tom Brady and just destroy their sh!t. That seemed to work in his case.

• Unico10

RG Overall Ranking

@eddiemunstor said...

I don’t think they’ll find anything though unless these idiots were exceptionally brazen with their communications (email/text trains)

Just for the sake of conversation… you really didn’t detect arrogance? Or braziness (not a word…)

But in case you didn’t… build better lineups!! And tomorrow put 500 lineups in the quarter arcade and come and tell us how you did!!

• hellokitty7

The issue as i see it which has come to light, is that there is a possibility that DFS site employees can see percentages and/or individuals teams before rosters are set. To me, that is unsettling. Granted nobody is going to roster my picks b/c i suck but it would certainly provide an unfair advantage.

• tonytone1908

I don’t understand how knowing ownership percentages or certain players lineups would help someone to win? By picking all players you know are lower owned? Isn’t there a reason they are low owned in the first place? But besides that these players still have to do well or it wouldn’t matter at all. Variance is still a bitch.

• PigskinSleepers

@MikeMineo said...

it’s very easy to match DK employee social security #s with users on FD who have same social security #s, which is essential for a user to provide if they win over $600 and want their $. no “occupation” field necessary to obtain this data, obviously. DK can find FD employees on their site by using same protocol.

this is what the federal investigation is doing, anyway, already asking for elaborate details regarding any employee with access to data and/or who played on competing sites. you can bet that social security #s are one of the things they’ll be handing over to further study the going-ons of employees with accounts at other DFS sites.

If FD and DK shared social security numbers of all users without user consent to get the $6 million figure – or for any other reason – they broke a ton of laws and are in far bigger trouble.

• bigloser11

If FD sent a 1099 to someone who won big, FD would not know them from Adam.The SS# is only used for tax purposes.I mentioned earlier it would be fairly easy for FD to id a big winner(s) but would then be harder to track who that person is. FD and DK may have worked behind the scenes as the story broke.FD may have recognized a screen name?Bschneide ‘ s point is well taken, the potential sharing of SS# is a HUGE issue.jm

• hambazaza

RG Blog Program Manager, 2014 RG Party Beer Pong Champion

• Blogger of the Month

• Beer Pong Champion

They could have matched names with people on linked in and done ip matches with the ipaddress of the dk office. Come on guys, it’s not that complicated to figure out where somebody works if they access your website from their place of work.

Also the fact that they released it so fast means they’ve been looking into this for a while and somebody had already done the leg work.

• THEKARATEKID

“Insider” Hokum is conducted on a daily basis whether it be DC, the Stock Market, or DFS. You either willfully choose to swim in these Shark infested waters, or You get out and look for a Straight-Up game that employs a Legit Draft in order to fill your team roster. YOUR team is the Only team to have these Specific players. No Hocus Pocus involved in this process. No “Man/Men Behind The Curtain”. The overwhelming majority of “games” currently being offered across the DFS landscape, (whatever the sport), is nothing more than a variation on the age old “Numbers” Game. Of course, we are all familiar with the Flim-Flammery that was/is involved there. The scant number of Legit Draft Leagues being offered across the DFS Landscape is a glaring tip-off.

• hambazaza

RG Blog Program Manager, 2014 RG Party Beer Pong Champion

• Blogger of the Month

• Beer Pong Champion

The only way to truly combat this is by snake drafts. Obviously

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).