INDUSTRY FORUM

Comments

• rannas23

Hi, just wanted to get other members opinions about some of the contests I’m seeing. It looks like a lot of the contest are heavily toward the 1st prize but the other top 10 winnings are considerably weaker. For instance last week I was in a golf contest for 10k to 1st so 1st place got $10,000 of the $30,000 total prizes. 2nd place got $2,500 which is a nice prize but considerably less than 1st. The kicker is if you finished 9th or 10th in this particular contest (which is still in the top 10) you win $100 which is only 1% of the top prize. It just seems like if you beat out thousands of people and get in the top 10, it should feel like a top 10 winning. Its getting harder and harder to find flatter type structured contests on Draftkings. I understand they want to promote top prizes and advertise it but it seems that most contest are catering to the 1st place or putting a bigger percentage toward that 1 winner. Do they not understand that the more people that win back their entry costs and winnings the more different people would probably put that money back into their website. That one person that wins may or may not put that winnings back into their website. It just seems like the structure could be better for players while also be more beneficial toward DK’s business at the same time….at the very least…for the top 10 that wins a contest. Again, I know they want to advertise these nice winning prizes of 10k, 25k, or 50k….but those contests would still fill and be desirable to a lot of the players if top prize was a few thousand less and allocated down to the other top 10 winners. Most people would be stoked if they won 7.5k instead of 10k or 20k instead of 25k, or 40k instead of 50k.

I mean if they don’t want to reallocate the winnings and feel so strongly on a bigger top prize, maybe Draftkings could incorporate for the top 10 that don’t win the top prize some type of additional winnings like DK dollars or huge Crown number winnings to go with the top 10 winning cash. That way DK knows those additional prizes will go back to the site and the top 10 winners don’t feel so cheated….or at least not as bad.

I’ve never even been in the top 10 of these big contests so I’ve never really thought about it much, but I just started looking at the structure more lately and thinking about multi entering some but it seems more like a lottery type contests and probably not worth losing all that cash if I multi entered and got in the later part of the top 10. Just wanted to get other peoples opinions, as I’m going to email DK and let them know my dislike toward their top heavy contests structures. If anyone else feels the same about these type of contests, I hope you will contact DK also….who knows, maybe more people that complain, the more they will create more flatter rate contests. I know some like these type of contests so I’m not encouraging DK to get rid of them, but just seems like there are very few flatter allocated structured contests.

• thedude404

• 2015 FanDuel NBA Playboy Mansion Finalist

Nothing has changed in years. And nothing will change. You just have to accept it is just the way things are. You could get 1000 people to email dk and fd, and they wont change it. There are flatter payout structured tournaments out there, but they are never the ones with the biggest prizepools. Which really sucks.

• Smallchimp

Flat just isn’t as fun/worthwhile for the majority of the customer base. The most you can do is make sure to participate in flat payout contests so participation is a sign for DK to notice.

• madmanjayWV

@thedude404 said...

Nothing has changed in years. And nothing will change. You just have to accept it is just the way things are. You could get 1000 people to email dk and fd, and they wont change it. There are flatter payout structured tournaments out there, but they are never the ones with the biggest prizepools. Which really sucks.

All I want is a $1 MLB single-entry that’s more than $3K or $4k and a $2 S-E GPP also would be nice……

Neva gonna happen…they don’t care……. I guess ppl like playing in $3K and $4k buck S-Es

• JH822547

I’m surprised they are so keen to force the millionaire maker contests. The average person who wins a million would (I hope) withdraw a large proportion of it and it would never touch the site again and be reused for entries.

• DraftKings_CM

• DraftKings Representative

We’re in a constant cycle of evaluating and reevaluating community sentiment and entry data from which we create new payout curves and game models, where there is no room for complacency. The landscape of both DFS and professional sports is always shifting. Though some trends change over time, what remains is our nature to move forward.

Our diligence in testing has allowed us to evolve over time. This is part of the secret sauce which allows us to offer the best prizes in the biggest contests, while also offering the most vibrant range of contest options.

We’re listening, learning, and adjusting in order to provide the best customers in DFS with the best product in DFS for “ALL” players.

Make it Reign!

- DraftKings Community Team

2020 Updated DraftKings Sports Calendar: https://www.draftkings.com/about/covid-19/updated-2020-sports-calendar/

• tristanwolf

@DraftKings_CM said...

We’re in a constant cycle of evaluating and reevaluating community sentiment and entry data from which we create new payout curves and game models, where there is no room for complacency. The landscape of both DFS and professional sports is always shifting. Though some trends change over time, what remains is our nature to move forward.

Our diligence in testing has allowed us to evolve over time. This is part of the secret sauce which allows us to offer the best prizes in the biggest contests, while also offering the most vibrant range of contest options.

We’re listening, learning, and adjusting in order to provide the best customers in DFS with the best product in DFS for “ALL” players.

Make it Reign!

- DraftKings Community Team

2020 Updated DraftKings Sports Calendar: https://www.draftkings.com/about/covid-19/updated-2020-sports-calendar/

NHL main $4 this afternoon filled 3 hours before lock with 3k people. then they added a secondary with 600 people. it’s playoffs, 5000 people from the start would have easily filled. 20% while a bit high for my taste is fair to first, but the $10 with a 70k pot pays 20k to first? almost 30%? i entered none in that. if it had even been 14k to first with some decent money the rest of the top 10 i probably would have played a bunch. the heavyweights can afford the top heavy payouts. the average joes need flatter to survive and grow the game. i’ve been lucky because i work hard at it and am slightly profitable, but the majority of my friends who started when i did are out as the pay structure was killing the fun aspect.

• Smallchimp

The Average Joes probably need flatter to survive, but on the other hand, they want steeper payouts to be enticed to play. “Average Joes” to DK probably aren’t the type who are especially concerned about bankrolling their money as much as they want a scratch-off ticket style game where they can try to hit a big win based on knowing about sports.

The ecosystem of DFS has evolved like DK said. As much as steep payouts probably killed people’s will to play, the more uncontrolled issue is the way people play. Greater understanding of game theory has really pushed less informed players out of the fray and it’s led to an environment where newer players are disadvantaged whether it’s a cash or GPP contest. I don’t know that offering more 5-15% to first contests will fix the fact that the average DFS player now is consuming some sort of content and people who aren’t either need to pick up the game theory quickly or risk falling behind instantly

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-Gambler (NJ/WV/PA), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO) or 1-800-BETS OFF (IA). 21+. NJ/PA/WV/IN/IA/CO/IL only.