INDUSTRY FORUM

Comments

• Ross

FanDuel statement to the Press 10/7

https://newsroom.fanduel.com/2015/10/07/statement-to-the-press/ (text below)

“Media reports yesterday raised issues concerning an employee from another fantasy site participating in our NFL Sunday Million contest last week. Trust with our players is core to our business and has always been our primary concern so we take any potential game integrity issue very seriously.

Based on everything we know thus far, there is no evidence indicating that the integrity of FanDuel’s contest was in any way compromised, or that non-public information was used for unfair advantage. That said, the incident has raised questions about the trust-based relationship we have with our players so just relying on what we know right now isn’t enough. That’s why we’re taking the following steps:

We have permanently banned our employees from playing any daily fantasy games for money, on any site. We will also require all customers to confirm that they are not an employee of any other third party fantasy site, and if they are, they will not be allowed to access our site.

We have asked former federal judge and United States Attorney General Michael Mukasey to review the facts and evaluate our internal controls, standards and practices. His mandate is to conduct a review to identify ways that we can ensure we are doing the right things to maintain the trust we have with our players. He will have the freedom and authority to look at any areas he thinks appropriate. We will ask him and his team at the law firm Debevoise & Plimpton to develop a set of recommendations for us to adopt and to highlight any areas where our controls can be strengthened.

We are also creating an internal advisory board, led by Michael Garcia of the Kirkland & Ellis law firm and former United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York. The advisory board will provide on-going advice, recommendations and guidance to ensure that we are always taking every step possible to ensure the integrity of our site and our games. We also look forward to speaking with regulators across the nation about how to define the right set of rules for our industry as it continues to grow.

FanDuel is one of the fastest growing companies in the world. The way fans have embraced our games is a clear sign that fantasy sports is here to stay.

It’s our job to ensure that as our company grows, so does our ability to ensure that our fans can be confident in the sanctity and integrity of every game, every day.”

• troveur

Easiest way to protect the ownership data is simply remove the % owned entirely from all internal reports.

If that is viewed as going too far then perhaps they can lock the % owned reports until all games are completed. That way they can be analyzed and/or published, but only become available to company employees on Tuesday mornings. If someone runs those reports before Tuesday the sites’ internal security better know who did it/when/why etc if they go that route.

• Gotembaseball

The biggest proof in the pudding will be when ‘Said’ employees leave and start playing again. If Ethan or PeterGibbons or any other current employee leaves and still dominates in the manner in which they did prior then maybe the general public was wrong and there was no leaking of data used to gain an advantage.

I’m guessing these guys lay low for quite a while regardless if they stay or go but I’m going to be very interested in former employees success rate once former employee is gone.

• 100rings

CMags is correct, with the tax implications, confidentiality agreements, contracts, etc. It wouldnt be easy to just make an account in grandpa or sister or girlfriends name for all the reasons he stated. Maybe 3 or 4 years ago to make $5 bucks or something but not the big money these guys are trying to win, it wouldnt be easy no.

• Gotembaseball

Guarantee you are a losing player if you don’t understand how having ownership data helps build successful lineups. By no means is it guaranteed but for those smart enough and with a high enough DFS acumen this information is by far the most valuable of any pieces of data (Outside of say disecting the lineups and % owned of the top 1% of DFS Players)

• kaetorade

• 2013 DraftStreet DSBBC Finalist

@Gotembaseball said...

Guarantee you are a losing player if you don’t understand how having ownership data helps build successful lineups. By no means is it guaranteed but for those smart enough and with a high enough DFS acumen this information is by far the most valuable of any pieces of data (Outside of say disecting the lineups and % owned of the top 1% of DFS Players)

I’d say a close 2nd or debatable first would be seeing other people’s balance sheet.

• smutpeddlers

@kaetorade said...

I’d say a close 2nd or debatable first would be seeing other people’s balance sheet.

Deleted and Put somewhere else..

• yanks7900

I love dfs but i cant wrap my head around how can you stop employees from playing on fake accounts? How can you tell the public with absolute certainty that employees that are seeing lineups and percentages on a daily basis are not leaking this info? Please explain how you can guarantee that these games are 100% on an even playing field, when so much information is out there for employees to see? Somebody up the ladder has access to this information how can they be trusted?

• smutpeddlers

@yanks7900 said...

I love dfs but i cant wrap my head around how can you stop employees from playing on fake accounts? How can you tell the public with absolute certainty that employees that are seeing lineups and percentages on a daily basis are not leaking this info? Please explain how you can guarantee that these games are 100% on an even playing field, when so much information is out there for employees to see? Somebody up the ladder has access to this information how can they be trusted

I hate using the financial/public trading/mortgage industry as an example but its just like them. How do you stop a insider from any company from giving out information to someone they know information for financial gain. How do you stop people from buying houses short and then selling them for so much more.(I’m not in either industry so I may have terms mixed up)just have legal repercussions in place if it is found out and put in measures to try to find any weird activity. It’s never 100% fool proof just like anything else in life. If this comes out dicky it’s not supposed.

• 100rings

guys guys they can’t 100% stop everything, nothing in life is 100% certain. But if they do make it policy they can’t play, make them sign confidentiality agreements, stipulations in their contracts, etc. It will make it very hard for an employee to get past that. Plus see what CMags said earlier, you can’t just have your gf or grandpa sign up and you play under that name, with tax implications, etc, its not that easy its just not. If the companies putting policy in place that says no employees can play on our site or any other site, if that doesn’t make you happy then nothing will.

• PrenticeGT

I have a relative that works for the state lottery, it is illegal for him or anyone in the family to claim winnings on scratch off tickets, etc. He is not allowed to give out any information regarding odds of winning or anything. He knows how many winners are printed on ticket rolls. This is the exact same thing. I do not play the lottery and never will.

• bigloser11

If FD is to be believed, they stated that they have paid out 2 Bill. $ of which DK employees won 6 mill. $.That is 0.3 %, about 1/3 of 1 %.It is still possible that ‘‘straw men’‘ could have had winnings as well from leaked info but that would be much harder to trace.If the 3/10 of 1 % is the actual number, the media explosion/frenzy is like reporting that a flea farted in Africa..

I worked 26 yrs. in the investigative arm of CT state govt,, tracing straw men is not easy..

I’m cutting and pasting this on the other site statement..jm

• Heatfan8690

The next step that FD should take is allow a .csv of all the lineups right after lock. This way no one can ever think that it is possible for a rogue programmer to change a lineup after lock. DK already does this

• TwoSHAE

@Joe1Coal said...

If they can make more money at DFS, then quit. If not, then stop playing. Simple solutions.

It’s not that simple. Some people have options that are vesting.

• PigskinSleepers

@Gotembaseball said...

Not much different than counting cards at a blackjack table.

DK employees won $6 million on FD raises 2 big questions:
    1 – How did they know that number so quickly…. Without a deep investigation.
    2 – Why did these guys stay at DK if they weren’t benefitting?

• BobGrinder

nods in approval

• Ryazan

• x3

2015 FanDuel WFFC Finalist

• x2

2015 FanDuel WFBC Finalist

@Bschneidewind said...

Not much different than counting cards at a blackjack table.

DK employees won $6 million on FD raises 2 big questions:
    1 – How did they know that number so quickly…. Without a deep investigation.
    2 – Why did these guys stay at DK if they weren’t benefitting?

nobody WON 6 million bucks. That number doesn’t factor in the money lost while trying to “win” 6 million. Its a fake number, just as so many things in the media are that don’t tell the whole truth. I could have 1 million worth of winnings over a year, but that could happen after i put in $995,000 in to win it, so my actual winnings are $5,000. The mis-reporting is disgusting, i wish some of the higher ups would clear that up so stupid people would stop with their misunderstandings.

• PigskinSleepers

Correct me if I’m wrong but FD is the one that stated this. How did they get the figure that quickly?

• sonic999

Just make public a running tally of ownership percentages so that all players have the same info as the insiders.

• Jordan10293

I’ve seen pictures of multiple entries in a single entry tournament. How does that happen?

• smutpeddlers

@Jordan10293 said...

’ve seen pictures of multiple entries in a single entry tournament. How does that happen?

Was that DK or FD?

• Gmancandoit

I totally agree with you on limiting the entries to these tournaments. I suggest maybe a limit of 20-25 entries that away it would be fair to everyone. That is why this year, I only play the single entry tournaments so that I will at least have a shot at placing in the money. Hope they change the amount of entries so I can play in more tournaments.

• Gmancandoit

I totally agree with you on limiting the entries to these tournaments. I suggest maybe a limit of 20-25 entries that away it would be fair to everyone. That is why this year, I only play the single entry tournaments so that I will at least have a shot at placing in the money. Hope they change the amount of entries so I can play in more tournaments.

• broncs4sb

• Blogger of the Month

Excellent response @FanDuel!

• harrythebullyt

@Dainfamusgc said...

I’m sure they can just sign up under family member or friend

Think about what you just said please.

#1 That relative or friend has to pay taxes on that income if the player is that talented at DFS.

#2 This was discussed in this thread already.

• eddiemunstor

@Jordan10293 said...

I’ve seen pictures of multiple entries in a single entry tournament. How does that happen?

I’ve seen that posted on twitter. It was at least a couple of tourneys on Fan Duel and they stated those tourneys were mislabeled but if that were actually the case, how come no one else was able to enter multiple lineups?

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).