INDUSTRY FORUM

Comments

• Yukerboy

• Blogger of the Month

I want Fantasy NASCAR DFS! I think part of the reason football is so popular is that it is a once a week event and NASCAR would draw hard because of that.

I know the legality concerns of the single event is what has prevented NASCAR from becoming a DFS staple. I was thinking that much like the golf tournaments which are rounds of an event, you could do NASCAR and include qualifying to satisfy the multi-event clause of the law. Lineups lock at Qualifying, if your drivers qualify, they get a point each, then late swaps can occur before raceday. The qualifying points should cancel out for everybody as everyone should have compiled rosters of those who are locks to qualify.

Thoughts?

• QQSTUKIE

Would really enjoy seeing NASCAR as well, however I am not into the Qualifying part, the main reason is we want the random “fan” to play! They are not going to be ready when those qualifying days happen, they are ready to enter their team 30 minutes before the race!

What could satisfy the grey area “laws” grinders always seem to throw around might be something which separates a single race into 2 events. The first half of the race (50% of the laps) and then the second half, sites would score these 2 parts as single events and tally the points at the end of the race.

My 2 cents…..

• wscooby

I would be all over the DFS nascar. Hoping some site gets notice of this topic. Let’s fill up with responses to show the interest.

• hoff211

• 2015 FanDuel MLB Playboy Mansion Finalist

I would also be very interested in this. Besides scoring for top laps led, top 10’s, top 25’s, etc.. another idea for scoring would be matchups and points awarded for positions ahead. Such as Jimmie vs Harvick. Jimmie comes in 2nd and Harvick comes in 10th. You have Jimmie picked so you are awarded 8 points. If you choose Harvick its a 0.

• QQSTUKIE

@wscooby said...

I would be all over the DFS nascar. Hoping some site gets notice of this topic. Let’s fill up with responses to show the interest.

This is not going to help, along with the 2 game concern that comes with DFS NASCAR so does the fact that not many care.

• Skycap

Nascar would be a welcome addition.

• Domigator

You could have a 2 week schedule for the races. Example Daytona and California on same wager. Then could do California and Texas the next week. Sports trade used to do this for their pick 8 contests in NASCAR, which I loved but they quit prettyearly in the season.

• gtw11

I would love it. Might be the only sport I would play as consistently as NFL.

I grew up on NASCAR, and I have played season long fantasy NASCAR for several seasons although I’m not as into NASCAR (fan or fantasy-wise) lately. DFS NASCAR would definitely get me back into racing, and would be a ton of fun.

If you like a good sweat, just wait until the last lap at Daytona or Talladega or a fuel-mileage race where no one knows who has enough to make it to the checkers, or a late-race pit stop to shuffle the field. I’m ready to draft my team for Daytona now.

Two week slates would be perfect. Beyond legal reasons, it would introduce some additional strategy elements. I.E. Cookie-cutter track followed by road course, so who do you take? Not many drivers would be strong option for both.

• stevietpfl

Morning Grind co-host, Lead NASCAR Analyst

RG Overall Ranking

• 2015 FanDuel MLB Playboy Mansion Finalist

• 2015 FAWBC Finalist

I would crush u guys, that is all!!

• tommygmets86

This was a thing on FantasySportsLive before it shut down I’m pretty sure

• rtiedemann6

SportsTradex had NASCAR for most of the season last year. I’m really hoping they bring it back! If you guys want to play, hit them up on Twitter and they will probably set up some contests. Their customer service division is pretty strong.

• QQSTUKIE

@rtiedemann6 said...

If you guys want to play, hit them up on Twitter and they will probably set up some contests

Can you recall how they were played? This thread has been about how to get around the 2 event clause, and it would be interesting to hear what they do to shade in that area of grey.

• rtiedemann6

Last year, the contests ran two weeks at a time. They were their pick ‘em style games, where you would pick which pair of drivers would outscore each other. You would pick new matchups each week. I’m hoping they switch it to their draft style games this season.

• marko8407

I’m kind of late to the discussion, but I could see running leagues on weekends with Cup, Xfinity (formerly Nationwide), and Truck Series slates being viable. Also, maybe a multi-discipline slate with F1, IndyCar, and NASCAR on the same weekend could also be viable. Pick 2 drivers from each series and salary cap based (i.e. high salaries for top drivers in F1 since only a few drivers have a decent opportunity to win).

• budfox6

Fading Tony Stewart.

• Slah

• 2015 NASCAR Live Final Champion

@Domigator said...

You could have a 2 week schedule for the races. Example Daytona and California on same wager. Then could do California and Texas the next week. Sports trade used to do this for their pick 8 contests in NASCAR, which I loved but they quit prettyearly in the season.

This is how it should be (2 races at a time, not pickem). So one slate is ending and one slate is beginning each weekend.

The biggest challenge to this being an enjoyable DFS game is that there are really no points as you go, and no real way to track your progress in a tourney while the race is transpiring. Everything is basically tallied at the end of the race, and meaningless until then, when positions are finalized. That takes a ton of the excitement out of it as a DFS game.

I played when fantasysportslive offered it, i played on sportstradex this season, and i played on a crappy little site called fantasyracinglounge that attempted to do it this past season, but got no action. I’d rate them all as “better than nothing”, but none of them were conducive to DFS for the reasons I stated above. There needs to be an element of tracking your progress as you go, and your progress meaning something as the race progresses. I’m not sure that there’s a great way to do this.

My only idea is having Average Running Position factoring heavily into the scoring, if it’s possible for the site to track that as the race is going. A combo of that, finishing position (obviously), and lead lap bonuses (bonus for leading a lap, bonus for leading the most laps). If ARP is factored in, at least you can have some gauge of how good of a race you are having as it’s transpiring.

Another way to increase the skill factor is by being forced to use all different drivers in each slate. It would also be simpler for the sites this way – it would just be like any other sport. It would essentially be late-swap. Example: You have one list of salaries for the Daytona/Atlanta schedule. Use as much or as little as you want for Daytona. Then you have access to all your remaining salary for Atlanta. And if you use Joe Nemechek at Daytona, he is off the board for you at Atlanta. The salaries are only adjusted for the new slate each week.

• Slah

• 2015 NASCAR Live Final Champion

@QQSTUKIE said...

Can you recall how they were played? This thread has been about how to get around the 2 event clause, and it would be interesting to hear what they do to shade in that area of grey.

It was matchups. They’d list 10 pairings, and you had to pick either side of 8 of them. And it was 2 race (week) slates.

As I mentioned in my other post, it was better than nothing, and I certainly applaud them for offering anything, but as all other DFS NASCAR attempts that I’ve seen have gone – the excitement factor was a 0. Nothing really mattered besides finishing position, so there was no reason to even sweat it as it was going.

Meant to add to my other post: If anybody is interested in a season-long grinders league, PM me and let me know. If there’s enough interest, I’d be willing to set something up.

• greenflag

NASCAR needs DFS just as bad some of the second tier DFS sites need NASCAR, but legality is preventing the marriage. Every year a site gives it a try, but 20 guys in a forum just aren’t enough. A couple years ago I tried to help several DFS sites build a user base. I even had the guy that runs NASCAR.com’s fantasy league (dan beaver) involved. No Luck.

The wildcard is NBC sports. This July marks the beginning of their big NASCAR TV contract. CBS is partnered with FanDuel for football, so it’s not out of the question. If NBC wants to improve ratings and sell ads, they better jump on the DFS wagon.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-Gambler (NJ/WV/PA), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO) or 1-800-BETS OFF (IA). 21+. NJ/PA/WV/IN/IA/CO/IL only.