STRATEGY FORUM

Comments

• manunited23

I love sports and I bet you love sports too! The adrenalin rush you get from watching someone make an incredible play to swing an outcome of the game is breathtaking. With that said watching a player you rostered make that same play is nothing short of addictive. Watching your screen name move up the standing throughout any given day is glorious.

I have decided to challenge myself in this post to become a better DFS player. Playing daily fantasy sports is certainly something I enjoy very much.

The objective of the challenge is to build up my bankroll from $50 to $500 by the end of Friday night.

I will be focusing primarily on playing in various NBA tournaments on DraftKings throughout the week to generate a positive ROI.

I will be using an array of tools to help me with my research process and player selection. My essential sources for DFS goodness are RotoGrinders, Fantasy Labs, Rotoworld, www.basketball-reference.com, and obviously Google.

Day 1 Monday January 9th, 2017.

On this day I will be playing 10% of my $50 bankroll budget on NBA tournaments. I will have a single entry in the $500K Four Point Play tournament on DraftKings. In addition to that I will be playing two entries in $20K Hot Shot 3 entry max tournament on DraftKings.

My general strategy for tonight is to have 100% exposure to Russell Westbrook at PG position. On short slates like this I firmly believe that having studs on your team is a must. The reason behind that are raw points. If a stud player like Westbrook goes nuts on such short three game slate then he becomes an absolute must to win any tournaments. Russell Westbrook is fully capable of outscoring the second highest scoring player on the night by at least 25 fantasy points. With that said though you can go ahead and fade Westbtook on DK if you decide to go with a more balanced approach.

I am also going to have 100% exposure to Langston Galloway and Donatas Moteijunas of New Orleans Pelicans. I like the upside they bring with their matchups as well as the dead minimum price on DK. I believe they can both deliver over 21 DK points, which would be 7 times their salary. Also having them on the roster allows me to pay up for at least one more stud to go with Westbrook. I am definitely going with stars and scrubs approach on this short three game slate.

EDIT: Ohhh and there goes Derrick Rose ruining two out of my three lineups. Thanks buddy.

• jimfred82

• Blogger of the Month

Five days? Good luck!

• tarheel66

5 days ? ROFL, not unless you hit a GPP

• WidumBoise

I’ll have whatever you are smoking.

• pulsar78

Do you mean by the 5th day you’ll be depositing $500? ;)

But seriously… good luck. Not sure it’s the smartest way to build your bankroll, but if it works.. congratulations.

• manunited23

Day 1 Recap January 9th, 2017 NBA DFS Slate

Day one ended in a disappointing $1 profit. Obviously having to take a 0 from Derrick Rose not playing hurt two out of three lineups. What’s more disappointing is New York Knicks PR department. It doesn’t require a rocket scientist to figure out that your player is most likely going to miss the game when he does not show up to play. The alarm bells should have went off when Rose was not picking up his phone. Am I mad at Rose for not playing? No, I am not. I don’t know what is going on in his personal life and judging by the reports he had to deal with some sort of a family emergency. As a man who believes that family comes first I am not going to give him grief for not playing.

Now moving on to the actual slate.

This wasn’t a pretty slate at all which is why we should probably avoid playing them as much as possible. With that said I was committed to this challenge, which ultimately led me to having some exposure.

Players I got right!

Brandon Jennings contributed 37.25 DK points to one of my lineups. Obviously he became the ultimate play once Derrick Rose was ruled out but unfortunately we did not know that on time.

Karl-Anthony Towns was a beast once again. I absolutely love watching this guy play the game of basketball. He delivered a wonderful 62.75 DK points, which helped my team offset some snowflakes I am going to mention below.

Players I whiffed on!

Russell Westbrook was my guy on Monday and he let me down big time. He was only able to deliver 55.75 DK points that definitely hurt my lineups especially considering how good of a game Anthony Davis had.

Carmelo Anthony was actually having a good game right up until it turned into a blowout. He finished the game with a minuscule 27.5 DK points. Despite having a miserable game I was able to get away with it because of his high ownership in tournaments.

Nikola Mirotic “WENT OFF” for 4.75 DK points. I should just make a pact with myself to never play him again. I mean the guy doesn’t even shoot right. It baffles me when I see him pump fake two to three times before taking a shot.

In conclusion I can say with certainty that this wasn’t a good night for me. Ultimately I fell short of my expectations on this day but I am not going to let this get to me. No matter how corny or foolish it may sound, there is always tomorrow to turn things around.

“We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.

• tvsfrink

Regardless of how this turns out I enjoyed reading that last post.

• Mindofigor

Almost there buddy!

• billholler

If you need instructions on how to effectively turn $500 into $50 in 5 hours, I’m your man.

• pokerman64

I was shooting for $5 to $100 within a couple months….guess I should think about pushing the limits more

• jimfred82

• Blogger of the Month

@manunited23 said...

Day 1 Recap January 9th, 2017 NBA DFS Slate

Day one ended in a disappointing $1 profit. Obviously having to take a 0 from Derrick Rose not playing hurt two out of three lineups. What’s more disappointing is New York Knicks PR department. It doesn’t require a rocket scientist to figure out that your player is most likely going to miss the game when he does not show up to play. The alarm bells should have went off when Rose was not picking up his phone. Am I mad at Rose for not playing? No, I am not. I don’t know what is going on in his personal life and judging by the reports he had to deal with some sort of a family emergency. As a man who believes that family comes first I am not going to give him grief for not playing.

Now moving on to the actual slate.

This wasn’t a pretty slate at all which is why we should probably avoid playing them as much as possible. With that said I was committed to this challenge, which ultimately led me to having some exposure.

Players I got right!

Brandon Jennings contributed 37.25 DK points to one of my lineups. Obviously he became the ultimate play once Derrick Rose was ruled out but unfortunately we did not know that on time.

Karl-Anthony Towns was a beast once again. I absolutely love watching this guy play the game of basketball. He delivered a wonderful 62.75 DK points, which helped my team offset some snowflakes I am going to mention below.

Players I whiffed on!

Russell Westbrook was my guy on Monday and he let me down big time. He was only able to deliver 55.75 DK points that definitely hurt my lineups especially considering how good of a game Anthony Davis had.

Carmelo Anthony was actually having a good game right up until it turned into a blowout. He finished the game with a minuscule 27.5 DK points. Despite having a miserable game I was able to get away with it because of his high ownership in tournaments.

Nikola Mirotic “WENT OFF” for 4.75 DK points. I should just make a pact with myself to never play him again. I mean the guy doesn’t even shoot right. It baffles me when I see him pump fake two to three times before taking a shot.

In conclusion I can say with certainty that this wasn’t a good night for me. Ultimately I fell short of my expectations on this day but I am not going to let this get to me. No matter how corny or foolish it may sound, there is always tomorrow to turn things around.

“We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.

Maybe you should turn this into a blog instead, and perhaps get a little back from RG if you can get nominated with the monthly blogs? Then if you don’t reach your goal, at least you’ll (possibly) get a little something back!

• manunited23

Day 2 Recap January 10th, 2017 NBA DFS Slate

Day two of the challenge was a total disaster. I missed out on the cash line in both $25K Hot shot 3 entry max tournament and the $1.5K Layup. Because of such poor showing I am down $9 overall. It’s been a rough start to the challenge to say the least. However this does not mean I am going to quit.

So what happened?

In a limited time I had to do my research I was convinced that Doug McDermott was a pretty much a lock for some fantasy goodness. With Dwayne Wade, Jimmy Butler and Nikola Mirotic out he quickly became a chalk play that I inevitably decided not to miss out on. As it turns out fading him was the smartest way to go. With that said though if it wasn’t for his foul trouble he could have potentially done a lot better.

Even though Doug McDermott was awful he wasn’t the one who destroyed my teams. It was Michael Kidd-Gilchrist who pooped the bed and got only 15.5DK points in 34 minutes against Houston. To be honest he was my favorite play on the night. His dismal performance hurt me bad especially considering he was my pivot off Jeremy Lamb in the same game. I knew Lamb was going to be high owned, so fading him in my opinion was the right play. As it turned out I was correct in my assessment. What really sucks is the fact that I also liked Marco Belinelli but only ended up having him in one lineup instead of locking him in.

Players I got right!

Dennis Schroder delivered another solid performance against Brooklyn. He double doubled his way to 41.75DK points at a very reasonable price of $6700.

Kyle Lowry barely missed out on a double double by an assist against Boston but still finished strong with 49DK points. Boston Celtics continues to be a good matchup for opposing point guards and this is certainly something to keep in mind going forward.

Players I whiffed on!

Well, here is the list Doug McDermott, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Mason Plumlee and Isaiah Thomas.

I thought Plumlee was a great play against the Lakers due the matchup but he was limited by foul trouble.

I also had Isaiah Thomas locked in 100% across all my lineups but he fell well short of expectations. Unfortunately for me he wasn’t the player who benefited the most with Avery Bradley sidelined. The right play there was Marcus Smart.

I will admit, this slate had left me bitter. Despite a losing day I will keep my chin high and look forward to better days ahead.

“Never give up. Today is hard, tomorrow will be worse, but the day after tomorrow will be sunshine.” – Jack Ma

• jimmyquinella

• Blogger of the Month

Day two was a “total disaster” as you put it……..and your down $9.00?

• tvsfrink

Well yeah, if he’s trying to get to $500 by tomorrow….

• KindGuy

@jimmyquinella said...

Day two was a “total disaster” as you put it……..and your down $9.00?

He’s kinda on a tight schedule……

• Kgdarealmvp

and why should i care? get over yourself buddy

• billholler

@Kgdarealmvp said...

and why should i care? get over yourself buddy

You don’t have to. You could just skip on by and ignore this thread and it’s comments, you know, like an adult.

• SelfCharmer

@billholler said...

You don’t have to. You could just skip on by and ignore this thread and it’s comments, you know, like an adult.

There are adults on RG??

• FoothillsFlash

This sounds very similar to my plan. The wife and I have our eye on a nice lakefront peninsula lot for $225k. I plan to win at least $50k worth of GPPs every month to buy the lot by this summer. We want to put a modest $200k house on the lot, so I’ll win a few more GPPs this summer and fall to pay for the house. Then, whenever we need anything, I’ll just win a GPP. New boat – GPP. Kid’s college tuition – GPP. Around the world vacation – GPP. If ya’ll need any money, just let me know, and I’ll win a GPP and send you some. Oh yeah, I’m also only starting with $50.

• Priptonite

• Blogger of the Month

@FoothillsFlash said...

This sounds very similar to my plan. The wife and I have our eye on a nice lakefront peninsula lot for $225k. I plan to win at least $50k worth of GPPs every month to buy the lot by this summer. We want to put a modest $200k house on the lot, so I’ll win a few more GPPs this summer and fall to pay for the house. Then, whenever we need anything, I’ll just win a GPP. New boat – GPP. Kid’s college tuition – GPP. Around the world vacation – GPP. If ya’ll need any money, just let me know, and I’ll win a GPP and send you some. Oh yeah, I’m also only starting with $50.

seems foolproof, nice work

• Njsum1

@FoothillsFlash said...

This made me LOL

• klhbui

Put all your money into yahoo small single entry gpp and hope to win them. You have a better chance to turn 50 to 500 that way IMO rather than using that money and entering large field tourneys on DK

• tristanwolf

While it’s possible, definately a long shot. But i think you’d have a better chance playing a single entry $10 or $25 to start out. Increase entry next day if you cash. If you could get to like $100 by day four, bet it all on 1 high price entry lu, i think you would have a better shot to get to 500 (but still against the odds).

• deejones49

The best way to turn $50 in to 500 is play 50/50’s bet it all win 4 nights in row you got it

• MPDR1983

Looks like you are whiffing more than anything my friend…

• KindGuy

Looks like OP has to go all in tonight…..

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).