PGA FORUM

Comments

• Sundy11

Hey there,

I have gotten my toes wet in some DFS previously, but I am interested in taking it to the next level. I was hoping to see if yall have an opinion on where to start.

If you were to start all over from day 1, what would be your first move to avoid the pitfalls you have come across in getting to where you are today.

I really appreciate any insight you can provide.

Thanks

• timusbr

Have a budget
    Know the contests (entry fee, #contestants, #Maximum entry, payout structure)
    start light with 1 LU then try a max 20 before you go big time 150 LU’s
    Read and participate in the PGA Forum

• BadAtBetting

If you genuinely want to take it to the next level, look into paying for some premium content. There is so much out there that is very good.

Also, figure out a research method and be diligent.

Lastly, and this is the most important in my opinion, watch lots of golf. There is so much information that you can take away from watching that doesn’t end up in the shot tracker information.

• Dunzor

Here’s a blog I wrote at the end of last year about the process I use. My biggest recommendation is to figure out what type of player you are (stats, feel, gpp, cash, etc.) and then work on establish and tweaking a process that fits with how you want to play DFS. Participating in the weekly event PGA forum here is the best for getting ideas out there for discussion, but there are also lots of articles and stat sources out there for free and subscription that can help you once you’ve decided how you want to attack things.

https://rotogrinders.com/blog-posts/the-quest-establish-your-process-3148449

• sirrobert6

• Blogger of the Month

Play for how you want your bankroll to look like in 5 years, not 5min.
    If you play for 5min you’ll lose it just as fast. Play for the long run.

DFS isn’t about how much you win, it’s how little you lose. If you repeatedly put yourself in a winning situation you’ll do anything from win to win big and change your life. You win by not losing, not lose by not winning. If you play to win, you’ll lose and blow your bankroll, but if you play carefully and make as few mistakes as possible, you’ll win. Consistently losing nothing is the biggest win you can get.

Look at the slate like a script or a picture. How do you imagine the story goes, or the painting will look? Nobody starts as Picasso. Don’t look at everyone as players but as strokes of the brush, or words in a line, and you’ll find your picture will be far more valuable than trying to pick certain players, as players can be deceiving, and DFS is fickle. Next thing you know someone got hurt and you took way more of someone than you should.

The three most important factors are bankroll management, contest selection, and your exposure/ownership limits on players. If you make sure you spend the right amount of money, play the right contests, and make sure you don’t make bad mistakes in your exposures, than you’ll be amazed at how easy it is to win at least 50% of the time, which in GPP is obscene and if done right would change your life in no time at all.

• thedude404

• 2015 FanDuel NBA Playboy Mansion Finalist

@BadAtBetting said...

If you genuinely want to take it to the next level, look into paying for some premium content. There is so much out there that is very good.

Also, figure out a research method and be diligent.

Lastly, and this is the most important in my opinion, watch lots of golf. There is so much information that you can take away from watching that doesn’t end up in the shot tracker information.

Information such as? Watching any sport is completely unnecessary to being successful at any dfs sport. Lets take your example. How many actual shots does one see on thursday among all 156 golfers? LOL!

• BadAtBetting

@thedude404 said...

Information such as? Watching any sport is completely unnecessary to being successful at any dfs sport. Lets take your example. How many actual shots does one see on thursday among all 156 golfers? LOL!

How about specifics on player health? Club, putter, or caddy changes? Hearing about changes to a players swing? Or, how about, just getting more familiar with thinking of the game through a dfs perspective while you watch it?

To say watching a sport isn’t beneficial to playing DFS is completely asinine.

• thedude404

@BadAtBetting said...

How about specifics on player health? Club, putter, or caddy changes? Hearing about changes to a players swing? Or, how about, just getting more familiar with thinking of the game through a dfs perspective while you watch it?

To say watching a sport isn’t beneficial to playing DFS is completely asinine.

Its called the internet. By the time the know nothing announcers talk about a caddy or equipment change, it’s already been in the public domain for days if not weeks. To tell someone they need to watch a lot of commercials whoops i mean pga golf on tv in order to become good at dfs golf is lol funny. But whatever if you think it helps you i could care less.

But please tell us all how you become a better dfs strategist by watching a sporting event. I’m actually interested in your answer.

• Dunzor

@thedude404 said...

Its called the internet. By the time the know nothing announcers talk about a caddy or equipment change, it’s already been in the public domain for days if not weeks. To tell someone they need to watch a lot of commercials whoops i mean pga golf on tv in order to become good at dfs golf is lol funny. But whatever if you think it helps you i could care less.

But please tell us all how you become a better dfs strategist by watching a sporting event. I’m actually interested in your answer.

I actually think golf is one of the few sports where watching is most valuable. Sure the general tv coverage isn’t great, but PGA tour live is great for seeing every shot on a few groups and gives you a very good picture and feel for the course. And the course is one big reason golf is different and watching is valuable. Most sports are played on a fixed field with the same dimensions and conditions pretty much everywhere, but every course in golf is unique and requires a slightly different skill set to succeed. Watching the rounds helps you see conditions, how easy the birdie chances are, etc (very valuable information for in tourney dfs like showdown or prop/sports betting) and then even if don’t do showdowns they use the same courses most year over year so by watching you add to your knowledge base about that event for next year as well. Lastly as was mentioned in golf the raw numbers don’t tell you everything as a guy may shoot -2 but if you watch it and see he’s getting lucky bounces or he’s spraying it off the tee but scrambling like crazy to make par then I’m less likely to want that guy the next day compared to the guy with the same score whose striking it well but maybe burning some edges with his putts.

But that’s why golf is my best sport as I have the most knowledge about it both from the player stats / dfs research side of things but also from watching and playing the sport myself to understand what style of game translates on different courses

• thedude404

What about the 130 plus golfers you dont see on tv?

• timusbr

@thedude404 said...

well maybe I am fooling myself but in sports you can notice things that are not talked about. Those things can be very telling predictors.

I have seen pitchers who were tired and sore that started in their next scheduled rotation. I have seen skaters come of the ice with reported “pulled” muscles. I even saw a horse cross the finish line competing for the board who walked off in my eyes injured but raced12 days later and broke down killing the jock.

I dont watch the news to tell me whats going on if I can see it for myself and make my own assessment. Now thats the rub, is my “expertise” good enough, on target, or even worthwhile…..

In DFS I believe you need to fight for every inch and every advantage you can find. Sure you can call it luck but……

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-Gambler (NJ/WV/PA), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO) or 1-800-BETS OFF (IA). 21+. NJ/PA/WV/IN/IA/CO/IL only.