BANKROLL FORUM

Comments

• FantasyTime69

I’ve always wanted to max out h2hs on dk at the 1 dollar level for 50 bucks. My question is how much would I need to have a low risk of ruin to play these? And is it wise to play just h2hs? I’ve got about 500 bankroll now so it would be 10% of my roll each day. I’d prefer to bet 5%

• yogaflame

The answer to the question you actually asked is infinite dollars, i.e. play $50 every day forever in perpetuity.

If you have a decent edge and can diversify by building 3-5 different lineups that aren’t highly correlated, you could probably get by with as little as $100-$200.

• Brandon23

I’ll throw in my two cents… I personally bet around 10% of my bankroll daily for MLB the whole season and built up a pretty nice bankroll building from a $50 deposit to over $1000 now, without ever hitting a GPP (disappointing). Have done so on Yahoo, FantasyDraft, and Draftkings building over $4k bankroll across the three sites. I’ve moved up to about 20% in NFL, but I diversify quite a bit and have continued to build my bankroll. MLB, NHL, NBA I plan about 90% that day’s spending to be cash and 10% GPP. For NFL I typically do about an even split between cash games and GPP.

I play almost all H2H on DK because I can pick my opponents, and on Yahoo/FantasyDraft I play almost all 50/50s because the player pool in H2H is much more limited. I haven’t found that I have a better ROI on any of the three sites in cash games.

I’m definitely in the company that no matter how much money you start with, if you are bad at this, you are going to lose it all eventually whether you spend 10% at a time or 2% at a time, but those who say you can’t turn a profit in this are just wrong. Proper bankroll allocation and game selection go a long way to improving your chance to sustain your bankroll, but the most important thing you can do is just put in the time. I spend around 25 hours a week researching for NFL because I’m single, have the free time, and most importantly enjoy doing it, and enjoy the sweat on Sunday-Monday night.

• osuryanf

1k is PLENTY enough to do $50 worth of H2H’s a night.. If you’re not completely awful and you stick to these bankroll guidelines per night you’ll be fine.

Cash games: 5% to 10% nightly (preferably 5% and preferably H2H instead of double ups)
    GPP’s: 2% to 3% nightly

Example:

1K bankroll
    $50-$100 in H2H’s nightly
    $20-$30 in GPP’s

That will reduce variance greatly while not backing you into a corner.

Easier said than done, though!

• SouthernShield

@osuryanf said...

1k is PLENTY enough to do $50 worth of H2H’s a night.. If you’re not completely awful and you stick to these bankroll guidelines per night you’ll be fine.

Cash games: 5% to 10% nightly (preferably 5% and preferably H2H instead of double ups)
    GPP’s: 2% to 3% nightly

Example:

1K bankroll
    $50-$100 in H2H’s nightly
    $20-$30 in GPP’s

That will reduce variance greatly while not backing you into a corner.

Easier said than done, though!

This wins the thread.

It’s a sensible, responsible, thoughtful way to actually build a bankroll. Just re-calculate daily what your % allows you to play.

• legitlegit

when doing these 1$ 50 h2h’s how many lineups is it wise to play? No more than 2 correct?

thanks

• kdjac0434

I always play one lineup. My goal is to build the best one possible, not the best and second best. In H2H I would be pretty upset if one of my lineups would have beaten a guy but I played the other lineup against.

• KlairVoyant

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #65

RG Tiered Ranking

• Blogger of the Month

FantasyTime69, I just scanned through the responses and I don’t think gave an appropriate response. The appropriate answer is “It depends”! It depends on a few factors. First and foremost you need an accurate estimate of what percentage of your h2h’s you win. You can find that info using RG’s DFS Analyzer. If you are not winning at least 55% of your H2H’s on average your risk of ruin is 100%, given a large enough sample size. Second you need to decide what an appropriate risk of ruin % is acceptable. You need an exact # not just an abstract like “low”. Once you have your win % assuming it’s greater than 55% and an acceptable risk of ruin % then you can use one of the many risk of ruin calculators available online to determine the answer to your question given your specific circumstances. There are other variables involved with this calculation like projected sample size and standard deviation of outcomes and your BR size that you well need to determine or make estimations for.
    Just search “Risk of Ruin Calculator” in google.

Here is a quick hypothetical:

Assume I win 60% of my h2h’s, my ROI would be 8% on average with 10% rake.
    Here is a table giving you the different required BR sizes to have specific risk of ruin rates……

Risk of Ruin / Bankroll Required
    50% – $433.22
    25% – $866.43
    10% – $1,439.12
    5% – $1,872.33
    2% – $2,445.01
    1% – $2,878.23
    0.5% – $3,331.45
    0.1% – $4,317.35
    0.01% – $5,756.46

I find it is more helpful to understand the concepts of Gamblers ruin rather than knowing the exact #‘s for you your specific situation.

To keep things simple I would read these examples as they are close to the situation you are describing. Remember though These example assume fair coin flipping and h2h’s in DFS is not “Fair Coin Flipping”.

here are two links to Coin flipping examples and some links to Risk of ruin calculators:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambler%27s_ruin

http://www.soccerwidow.com/football-gambling/betting-knowledge/systems/case-studies/gamblers-ruin-explained-fair-coins/

http://www.automated-trading-system.com/resources/risk-of-ruin-and-drawdown-calculation-tool/

http://www.reviewpokerrooms.com/poker-games/general/bankroll-requirements.html

• slcseas

@rachelkyle said...

I always play one lineup. My goal is to build the best one possible, not the best and second best. In H2H I would be pretty upset if one of my lineups would have beaten a guy but I played the other lineup against.

Agree with this. I’m okay with rolling out two lineups if you only change one player, and if the replacement player has a similar projection. I did this with Anthony Davis a couple of times after he kept getting hurt in 1st quarter every other game. I’d just split him with another top player if they were close in terms of value that day. Not something I do regularly but I think it has merits

• aloeup

• 2014 DraftKings FFWC Finalist

it’s true, real bacon is way better than turkey bacon

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-Gambler (NJ/WV/PA), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO) or 1-800-BETS OFF (IA). 21+. NJ/PA/WV/IN/IA/CO/IL only.