NFL FORUM

Comments

• saahilsud

• 2016 RotoGrinders TPOY Champion

• Previously Ranked: #1 Overall

Hey everyone! My name is Saahil Sud, and I’m currently #1 in RotoGrinders.com’s Grinder rankings and am first in the current TPOY leader board. I previously operated under the screen name MaxDalury but changed that on all sites on 2/1/16 to SaahilSud. I am one of the founders of the DFS strategy and content site rotoql – Rotogrinders reached out to me and I’m going to spend some time this week answering DFS strategy and multi-entry questions.

If you want to know a little more about me here are some interviews that I’ve conducted in the past:

DKWC Video Interview

Daily Fantasy Fix Interview

wbur.org Interview

MODERATION NOTE

Saahil is one of the highest volume players in the DFS industry and has been gracious enough to accept our invitation to answer questions from RotoGrinders users over the course of this week. We want to keep this positive. Strategy and multi entry questions are welcome. To prevent this thread from becoming negative we are not allowing questions on scripting. All forum rules apply and this thread will be moderated to ensure that the thread moves along in a smooth and friendly manner.

• Link
    • Last Updated 5 years ago
  • saahilsud

@ricky21slade said...

Most of the states without income tax where a DFS pro would actually want to live (NV, TX, FL) are not DFS-friendly. Where is the most advantageous location for a player and why?

I think 51% in FL and 49% in CA would be the best depending on the seasons/time zones. Hard to keep a life on EST during NBA and hard to manage NFL on PST

• colinwdrew

RG Overall Ranking

• 2020 DraftKings FHWC Champion

• 2018 DraftKings FHWC Finalist

What sport do you have the lowest ROI on a percentage basis and or are you a net loser in any sports? If a data scientist was building a model from scratch for a sport they don’t yet know, which sport do you think offers the largest edge to the average player? And to you?

• theseige

• 2015 DraftKings FFWC Finalist

• x2

2016 DraftKings FBBWC Finalist

@saahilsud said...

Easiest question so far: DC

Absolutely was, good to see you haven’t gone insane

What do you think the most underrated stat in MLB is for pitching is? Got one for hitting?

• saahilsud

@tom12345 said...

For a while you were playing Vaughn Taylor each week; more recently you found success with bud cauley. Can you explain your reasoning behind both or either picks? Is it more or less, I asked my back-tested software to weight x stats and x information for x tournament and x player is who the software identified as most +ev.

Can you explain how rotoql will help me find success?
    Do you use additional software besides what is offered at rotoql?
    What software do u believe is absolutely necessary in order for you to be successful?
    What are you relying on to determine whether to use x player in 100% of lineups vs. 98.5% vs. 67% etc.?

Prob unrealistic, but if you ever have legal questions, I’m willing to barter services/information/time.

My data analysis told me they were good picks but very possibly they were bad plays. Golf is the sport I am tweaking my approach the most right now.

RotoQL is designed to help you spend your time evaluating the players and make the process of building a lineup as seamless as possible, something that is core for my approach when I am playing as much as I do

I don’t think you need software to be successful but something that works the best for me.

• realking

Dont know if you missed my question earlier but I wanted to know if you could give some insight on how much time you spend digging into analytics before deciding on your core players for lus?

• liquidfire

Have you played MMA DFS yet? If so, what are your general strategic observations?

• saahilsud

@Cameron said...

Thanks a ton for taking the time to do this, Ma…I mean Saahil :-) We appreciate it, and I know the vast majority of the DFS community looks up to you & your accomplishments.

1 Q: Long-term, how do you think the industry should best balance the multi-entry vs. single-entry concerns between veteran & new players? Do you like the recent steps we’ve seen sites like DK & FD take, in putting out more single entry tournaments?

I think there needs to be a more comprehensive beginner and single entry offerings by the sites. People are understandably drawn to the large prize pools offered in multi-entry tournaments. Sites are in tough position where they want to keep/grow their revenues but attract and retain new players. I think better education for new players (reason why I’ve put a lot of work into rotoql.com/university) and clearer distinction of multi-entry, single-entry, and beginner is a good starting point

• johnnybruhnanas

what is the most ridiculous business and/or DFS proposal someone has approached you with as a result of your DFS success?

• saahilsud

@liquidfire said...

Have you played MMA DFS yet? If so, what are your general strategic observations?

I have dabbled a bit after winning some satellites but am at -95% ROI

• nuckfuggets

As with any market and industry, being able to forecast change and adapt quickly is vital. If DFS sites changed how they handle MME for tournaments, what kind of pivots and changes would you need to make, if any, to be able to sustain the income you’ve grown accustomed to making with your current strategy?

• manoftroy

I’d be interested in hearing your thoughts on these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cognitive_biases

• Link
    • Last Updated 5 years ago
  • yeahthisiscuddy

@saahilsud said...

I play 1 cash team (with exception of multi-entry gpps) and the maximum (or close to it) on GPPs every day

I think you’re great and thanks for doing this.

I’ve been studying your entries in DKs big $25 double up. In that contest you run out the max 25 lineups but they’re all different. You only get 100% exposure to 4 or 5 players each slate. I’m having trouble reconciling your answer above to what I’m seeing.

Do you not consider that a cash game? Do you consider a core of 2 batters with variations at the other positions one lineup?

• saahilsud

@yeahthisiscuddy said...

I think you’re great and thanks for doing this.

I’ve been studying your entries in DKs big $25 double up. In that contest you run out the max 25 lineups but they’re all different. You only get 100% exposure to 4 or 5 players each slate. I’m having trouble reconciling your answer above to what I’m seeing.

Do you not consider that a cash game? Do you consider a core of 2 batters with variations at the other positions one lineup?

Ah typo should have said multi-entry double ups. Meaning that I run 1 team in all h2hs, single entry doubleups, 3 mans etc.

• yeahthisiscuddy

@saahilsud said...

Ah typo should have said multi-entry double ups. Meaning that I run 1 team in all h2hs, single entry doubleups, 3 mans etc.

NP, thanks for the response. Follow up question: if you were running a smaller bankroll would you follow the same strategy? Should I be trying to diversify my cash game exposure or concentrate on a single “optimal” lineup?

• saahilsud

@realking said...

Dont know if you missed my question earlier but I wanted to know if you could give some insight on how much time you spend digging into analytics before deciding on your core players for lus?

I’ll spend at least a couple of hours really digging into it but I have plenty of systems in place to help me make best use of my time

• feekdogg

If FD/DK were suddenly forced to cease operations where you currently reside, would you immediately pack up and move?

• saahilsud

@feekdogg said...

If FD/DK were suddenly forced to cease operations where you currently reside, would you immediately pack up and move?

If MA lost DFS I think DFS would likely be over but in a hypothetical scenario I would gone within 12 hours

• saahilsud

@colinwdrew said...

What sport do you have the lowest ROI on a percentage basis and or are you a net loser in any sports? If a data scientist was building a model from scratch for a sport they don’t yet know, which sport do you think offers the largest edge to the average player? And to you?

MLB/NBA are my best sports. Golf/Soccer are ones I am working the most on to improve.

I think Golf is the furthest behind in being “solved” by the general public

• Foolsgold

What is the most FDP you’ve had?

• Brodero

If you could go back in time and tell yourself one piece of advice when you were first starting DFS, what would it be?

• ataggart

Assuming you backtest everything for your projection models where do you get the historical data and how many years do you take into account?

• feekdogg

Do you prefer to play on FD or DK? And don’t give the “they both have their merits” cop-out answer.

• FourPointPlay

Thanks for this!
    I started DFS last year 2015, and my process is the place where I see room for most improvement. I kept a journal and/or spread sheets to try to track what I was thinking to try to improve not only decision making but efficiency and have started looking into making my own crude models and algorithms.
    Q: Looking back to your competency level after your first cash out; do you think that one’s time would be better spent on developing more accurate projections or in improving/streamlining their process and investment strategy (ROI)?

Thanks Saahil

• DRC2828

When you first started DFS, what was your first 10k+ profit like and in those early years when you started to see a real ROI what did you do as a result of it? Also, what did your family think (if they knew what you were investing) early on?

• RockyTop55

It’s good to know you’re a normal guy with a sense of humor. Most of the time on these forums and chat rooms you are villainized. People will always hate on successful people. This has been very interesting. Thank you for taking the time to answer questions.

Who do you consider your two biggest competitors in the industry? Do you try to avoid them in h2h? Do you ever study any of their lineups to see if there is something you might have missed?

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).