MLB FORUM

Comments

• daytonaduke

I think I’m the worst DFS player ever. All my strategies suck despite reading three books and putting in countless hours of time and research. I wake up at 9:30 am and do research right up until game time at 7. I still have nothing to show for it!!

And when I put together nice teams, like last night, I get a God damned rainout for Bryce Harper!!

Is there a way I can run through my stats to prove I’m the worse ever?

• SirGiant

• Blogger of the Month

Relax. Try playing less volume and lower stakes until you get the hang of it. If you’re getting frustrated you need to address why and plug the leaks in your game. Check out GrindersU on here. There is a ton of excellent content to help you boost your game.

SIDE NOTE: RA Dickey owned Harper in the small sample size available (.214). Harper is 3/14 (2S, 1D) with 0 HR’s and 6 K’s. This will also be the first time he is seeing a knuckle-ball since 2012. Granted he has gotten better and is very hot so far this season, but I would feel uncomfortable giving him a spot on my cash game roster with the combination of that extremely expensive price tag and match-up.

• stlcardinals84

Leading RG Analyst

• 2018 DraftKings FBWC Finalist

• 2018 DraftKings FBBWC Finalist

Not trying to pile on, but if you did countless hours of research yesterday, you would have known that Bryce Harper was an easy avoid with the weather in Washington. In fact, all it would have taken would have been to take 3 minutes to look at Kevin Roth’s weather post in this very forum, which stated that anyone playing guys from that game was taking a major risk.

Try some different research methods and go from there. Perhaps you are focusing on the wrong things.

• einars

@stlcardinals84 said...

but if you did countless hours of research yesterday, you would have known that Bryce Harper was an easy avoid with the weather in Washington.

that was my first thought. also with his terrible bvp that sirgiant mentioned. I would also second the thought to play less volume and at lower stakes until you get the hang of it

• rotokevin

2014 RG Bowling Co-Champion, CPA & DFS Tax Guru

• 2014 FanDuel WFBC Finalist

@SirGiant said...

SIDE NOTE: RA Dickey owned Harper in the small sample size available (.214). Harper is 3/14 (2S, 1D) with 0 HR’s and 6 K’s. This will also be the first time he is seeing a knuckle-ball since 2012.

All of the problems of BvP summarized in one brief snip. Harper’s development since he last saw a knuckleball has been meteoric and when mixed with Dickey’s decline in effectiveness since moving to Toronto, I would dismiss that BvP stat entirely.

The part I didn’t snip is spot on, though. I’d love Harper in a GPP, but he’s a challenging deployment in cash games with that price tag in a not clearly positive matchup.

• tommygmets86

@stlcardinals84 said...

Not trying to pile on, but if you did countless hours of research yesterday, you would have known that Bryce Harper was an easy avoid with the weather in Washington. In fact, all it would have taken would have been to take 3 minutes to look at Kevin Roth’s weather post in this very forum, which stated that anyone playing guys from that game was taking a major risk.

Try some different research methods and go from there. Perhaps you are focusing on the wrong things.

I disagree STL… I was really on the Nationals all day, because as my memory served, any time Dickey pitched in the rain as a Met, he got Shelled. A few starts come to mind, and I remembered reading that knuckleballers have a tough time getting movement on their pitches in the rain. I took Ramos and Harper, my two Nats, out at about 6 PM, then at about 630 Kevin upgraded the forecast and I decided it was worth the risk with it being a yellow/orange instead of orange. Obviously I was wrong and paid for it but I don’t think starting nats last night was as misguided as you say.

• tommygmets86

I almost straight went Harper over Pederson, ended up using both, but as someone who’s been playing for as long as you I’d like to think my reasoning is at least somewhat logical.

• ldmariodl28

• Blogger of the Month

I would be interested in reading this book .

• pandabear415

What kind of research are u doing though? There’s a difference between hard work and smart work.

I feel your frustrations. I don’t think having 50 entries or even 10 is as good as maybe 3 to 5 solid ones a day.

A DFS player can spend 100 hours a week and not gain much traction and a lucky guy can come home from his job and do a lineup on his iphone for 10 minutes and make 2 entries and win the whole GPP.

• kinggeorge

By looking at your profile, it looks like you are playing donkey tournaments. My ROI personally is like -75% on those and I only toss 2-10$ a day for the off chance of hitting the nuts. If that was my main game time I’d have quit DFS forever ago. You should probably look some into game selection and find something more reasonable.

• SirGiant

• Blogger of the Month

@rotokevin said...

All of the problems of BvP summarized in one brief snip. Harper’s development since he last saw a knuckleball has been meteoric and when mixed with Dickey’s decline in effectiveness since moving to Toronto, I would dismiss that BvP stat entirely.

I’m not HUGE on small sample BvP, or BvP in general – anyone who knows me or has read my writing knows that. My point was that Harper at that price, against a softer throwing pitcher among other factors, was not on my cash game radar regardless of weather.

Although, I definitely think BvP can be used as a small supplement for your research – especially when the sample size is significant (i.e. 40+ AB’s). I do not think in this circumstance those numbers are completely irrelevant or should be dismissed entirely.

• sethayates

@pandabear415 said...

What kind of research are u doing though? There’s a difference between hard work and smart work.

I feel your frustrations. I don’t think having 50 entries or even 10 is as good as maybe 3 to 5 solid ones a day.

A DFS player can spend 100 hours a week and not gain much traction and a lucky guy can come home from his job and do a lineup on his iphone for 10 minutes and make 2 entries and win the whole GPP.

I have often wonder the same thing. I don’t see why anyone is doing MLB research at 9AM unless they are writing the MLB Grind Down or some MLB picks for this site. All you really need to be looking at that early is pitcher stats. Just go to fangraphs and get the key statistics for each pitcher on the slate against L and R batters. While you are there, grab a few extra stats like BABIP and SIERRA, K%, BB%, etc. Once you are finished with pitchers, you should have a good idea who you want to target and who you want to use. At that point, you just wait for lineups to come out and then pull each play individually that is in the lineup and against a pitcher you want to target. I don’t see how that could possibly take from 9AM until 7ET.

If I’m being honest, I don’t even bother doing all the things I just mentioned. The good people here at RotoGrinders already do that bulk of that for you. It is possible to build a highly competitive team in under 20 minutes just using the Grind Down, Advanced Pitching Stats, and Pitcher Breakdown. I’m not sure exactly sure what people that spend more than an hour researching are looking at. You shouldn’t need to dive into every game, and honestly if you are playing everyday you should already have a pretty good idea where you are going before you even start researching.

• headChopper

RG Contributor (OG Status)

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #33

RG Tiered Ranking

• x2

$1M Prize Winner

• 2014 DraftKings FBWC Finalist

@daytonaduke said...

I think I’m the worst DFS player ever. All my strategies suck despite reading three books and putting in countless hours of time and research. I wake up at 9:30 am and do research right up until game time at 7. I still have nothing to show for it!!

And when I put together nice teams, like last night, I get a God damned rainout for Bryce Harper!!

Is there a way I can run through my stats to prove I’m the worse ever?

Your trying to hard. I’m being serious here. You basically know all the meaningful stats by heart by now. Who cares if player X hits .370 woba nd player Z is at .340. Both are solid players. Just go a few days without pluggin any numbers into a spreadsheet and just make some picks based on your own knowledge when you see the batters and who they are facing.

• daytonaduke

I think what I’m going to do for a few days is just get really drunk and then set my lineups.

• qnova34

RG Overall Ranking

Kind of Echoing Chop here… Maybe you’re doing so much research that you end up second guessing your original picks? I know this has hurt me in the past and others mention it as a mistake they make all the time. Maybe from now on start your research closer to lock and that way you won’t have time to dive into some obscure statistic that suggests so-and-so is going to go off

• louiescards

DK KoTH winner

@daytonaduke said...

I think what I’m going to do for a few days is just get really drunk and then set my lineups.

If you wouldn’t mind, go ahead and write the book drunk too.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).