NHL FORUM

Comments

• barro

DK accidentally credited R. Miller with a shutout when he gave up a goal.
    Make sure you contact them if it cost you $$

• Krnich

It was an empty net goal from a delayed power play, Vancouver put it in their own net I believe.

• tsteeves

I suppose because Calgary’s goal was scored into an open net while Miller was on the bench for a delayed penalty, they’re considering it a shutout since it shows he stopped all 25 shots he faced. I’m not sure how the NHL rules on it but ESPN didn’t credit him with a shutout. After looking at his nhl.com profile he was credited with a win, no goals against but NO shutout. Seems clear that any goal scored against your team nullifies a shutout.

• barro

@tsteeves said...

I suppose because Calgary’s goal was scored into an open net while Miller was on the bench for a delayed penalty, they’re considering it a shutout since it shows he stopped all 25 shots he faced. I’m not sure how the NHL rules on it but ESPN didn’t credit him with a shutout. After looking at his nhl.com profile he was credited with a win, no goals against but NO shutout. Seems clear that any goal scored against your team nullifies a shutout.

If you go to NHL.com (the official league), Miller was no credited with a shutout.

• tsteeves

I contacted them and this is the response I got…

After completing the validation process with our stat provider, STATS LLC, it was deemed that Ryan Miller qualified for the Shutout Bonus since he was already on the bench for a Canucks own goal. This did not count as a Goal Against in regulation for Miller and he later earned the victory in a shootout. Therefore he has been credited with the Shutout Bonus as detailed by our rules below:

“The Goalie Shutout Bonus is credited to goalies if they complete the entire game with 0 goals allowed in regulation + overtime. Shootout goals will not prevent a shutout. Goalie must complete the entire game to get credit for a shutout.”

If you have any other questions please let us know!

Alex

Customer Experience Team Leader
    DraftKings Inc

I have a huge issue with that ruling since everything I’ve read indicates a shutout shouldn’t have and hasn’t been awarded by the NHL. How can a stats provider award a shutout when the NHL itself doesn’t consider it one.

• tsteeves

@barro said...

If you go to NHL.com (the official league), Miller was no credited with a shutout.

Yes I pointed that out in my first post and have since reached out to DK and I’ve posted their response in another post.

• Zieg30

RG Overall Ranking

• 2018 DraftKings FGWC Finalist

@tsteeves said...

I have a huge issue with that ruling since everything I’ve read indicates a shutout shouldn’t have and hasn’t been awarded by the NHL. How can a stats provider award a shutout when the NHL itself doesn’t consider it one.

I think we can question the rule, but cannot question the award of the SO last night, which clearly was awarded appropriately given the language of the rule.

• jms935

No it was not.

The rule states the Goalie must complete the entire game for a shutout. Either Miller was “considered in” or he did not “complete the entire game”.

• jms935

With that being said, I think Draftkings is a good company and they were put in a tough spot on this one.

• barro

@jms935 said...

No it was not.

The rule states the Goalie must complete the entire game for a shutout. Either Miller was “considered in” or he did not “complete the entire game”.

That I’ll disagree with. If a goalie goes to the bench for penalty time it does not prevent him from getting a ‘real’ shutout when it happens.

• SA16

Yea it doesn’t matter what the official NHL rule is. According to the rule listed by DK it is a shutout. Obviously going to the bench for a penalty doesn’t remove a shutout or there would be legitimately about zero shutouts the entire season.

“Completing the entire game” means he is the only goalie to play in the game. Not that he is on the ice for every second of the game. They probably should reword that though to make it more clear.

• barro

@jms935 said...

With that being said, I think Draftkings is a good company and they were put in a tough spot on this one.

It’s not a tough spot at all. They are the only company that awarded the shutout. Because they made the idiot clause they posted in their reply THEY deem it a shutout. If they had made the rule ‘ per NHL guidelines, if a goalie is awarded a shutout, that player will get a 2 point shutout bonus’.
    Instead, a bunch of dopes that know nothing about hockey made the clause and irritate true hockey fans.
    Fanduel, fantasydraft etc did not have this problem since they did not award a shutout. Heck the NHL didn’t award him one either.

• Heterodox

@barro said...

Instead, a bunch of dopes that know nothing about hockey made the clause and irritate true hockey fans.

So, you think Miller should have been credited a goal against?

He plays the entire game, he does not allow a goal, he earns a shutout bonus. Seems pretty simple to me. I’d be irate if they docked me points because of that goal, but if they don’t, how can it not be a shutout?

You can raise an issue over who decides, I don’t know if DK’s stats provider validates shutouts or whatever, but there have been issues in the past where the league’s official site lists a different stat than the official provider of stats to DK/FD, and the sites have gone with the stat providers because that’s what is in their rules.

• Heterodox

@SA16 said...

“Completing the entire game” means he is the only goalie to play in the game. Not that he is on the ice for every second of the game. They probably should reword that though to make it more clear.

They should clarify that, but I don’t think any reasonable person would have thought otherwise.

• barro

Bottom line is:
    When the game ended I bet less than 1% of Miller owners thought they were getting a SHO bonus and woke up happier today and a bunch of non-Miller owners are pissed

• barro

@Heterodox said...

So, you think Miller should have been credited a goal against?

He plays the entire game, he does not allow a goal, he earns a shutout bonus. Seems pretty simple to me. I’d be irate if they docked me points because of that goal, but if they don’t, how can it not be a shutout?

You can raise an issue over who decides, I don’t know if DK’s stats provider validates shutouts or whatever, but there have been issues in the past where the league’s official site lists a different stat than the official provider of stats to DK/FD, and the sites have gone with the stat providers because that’s what is in their rules.

I do not think Miller should have a goal against but I also do not think he earned a shutout. If the NHL doesn’t count it as a shutout why should anyone else?
    NHL stats state a shutout is a game where no goals are score which did not occur last night. If DK simple made the rule that when the player is credited with a shutout they earn a SHO bonus I don’t think anyone would have a problem. Instead they have create a situation (which prob has occurred 2 or 3 times ever) where they are crediting a SHO bonus when the NHL isn’t recognizing the feat.

• barro

Heterodox, here’s my best analogy:
    It would be like DK crediting a baseball player 3 point every time he gets to first base even if it wasn’t by a hit/BB/HBP.
    The end result of a FC or catchers interference is the same thing but in the baseball rule books it’s different. Yes Miller went the whole game without giving up a goal but he did not earn a Shutout

• dpospish

DK screwed that up. The final score was 2-1 there was no shut out that occured, doesn’t matter if he was actually in the net or not. The only reason he was 25 for 25 on saves is because no actually shot on goal occurred on the goal.

• barro

Or even better: why doesn’t DK award a shutout to a defense when the team gave up 6 points but it was on a pick 6? The defense wasn’t on the field at the time just like Miller wasn’t on the ice

• maxeernst

Stats LLC publicly informed everyone that Miller was getting a shutout after the game. I believe Sportsnet tweeted it out.

I have no problem with DK relying on their stats provider here. And I had 0% Miller.

• Ryanoss

• 2015 DraftKings FHWC Finalist

Pretty sure the stats providers had this as a shutout last night at the time of payout.
    If DK makes a change on this and refund then I think they need to look at all stat changes. This does not seem feasible as often stat changes happen days later. So we either have to wait on payouts for days or just accept the stats at time of payout.

• barro

@maxeernst said...

Stats LLC publicly informed everyone that Miller was getting a shutout after the game. I believe Sportsnet tweeted it out.

I have no problem with DK relying on their stats provider here. And I had 0% Miller.

Max,
    I see the tweet you referenced but cannot find the official Stats LLC comment.
    NHL officially did not rule it a shutout.
    I will text my brothers friends from HS that works for STATS and see what he says

• dude_abides7

If DK went with their stats provider then this is not on them. I can’t understand how anyone could rule this a SO, but if that is what Stats LLC reported when the payouts dropped then that is what has to stick. It is what it is.

• jdtrey22

I actually knew I was getting a shutout when it was over… all the tweets from the writers said he was gonna get it aswell… the rule is what the rule is. It’s the same as a pitcher going a complete game and shutout but let in an unearned run he still gets the shutout I believe.

• jms935

I agree with this. The site treats him as “in” under their rules. Therefore if a goal is scored it should mean he is not awarded a shutout.

• barro

@jdtrey22 said...

I actually knew I was getting a shutout when it was over… all the tweets from the writers said he was gonna get it aswell… the rule is what the rule is. It’s the same as a pitcher going a complete game and shutout but let in an unearned run he still gets the shutout I believe.

He does not get a shutout for an unearned run. Great example to further prove how dumb this is

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).