MAIN FORUM

Comments

• Cal

RG CoFounder & Admin

RG Overall Ranking

• $1M Prize Winner

• x3

2019 DraftKings FFWC Finalist

Thank you to Jason for taking time out of the TV and other media rounds to address the RG community.

Tomorrow at 2:30 ET Dan will ask him questions. If there is anything specifically you’d like answered please post it here. Dan will collect some questions from this thread and some of his own in the interview.

Be sure to stay constructive with your questions.

Here’s the link for the interview tomorrow

• pharoah1

1. Can player own% just be disclosed real time to everyone?

2. Can we please please get more single entry and low (10-20) entry contests? I understand multi entry funds huge prize pools, but I don’t care. Obviously they’re not going to ban scripts, I would rather have a decent shot at a couple grand or so than a lottery ticket, which is what these 200+ entry tourneys feel like.

• stoptheinsanity

Employees of DFS sites playing DFS has been a concern of many in the community for years and nothing was ever done about it until now. Another huge concern to a large number of people is scripting. Do you now plan on putting an end to that as well? Or will it continue to be allowed until another incident like this one inevitably occurs?

• pharoah1

Also can they please ban scripts?

• mannmicj

@pharoah1 said...

+1 This needs to be done ASAP.

• INSPYR

@Dmurphy104 said...

The other hot topic is scripting. I can see that the independent auditor may see that allowing scripting to be problematic.

Do you have any plans to proactively revisit your policy and ban scripting?

+1

• sports_nerd

@pharoah1 said...

2. Can we please please get more single entry and low (10-20) entry contests?

+1.

The 5-10 max GPPs are at the beginner level, but no where else.

• entropy

Would you consider offering small tournaments and 50/50s that only small volume players are allowed to play in? Small volume is average daily volume less than $25 per day.

• kaetorade

• 2013 DraftStreet DSBBC Finalist

@pharoah1 said...

Scripting is another issue that’s been accepted by our community that I’ve never been comfortable with. I enjoy GPPs like everyone else. The idea of taking down a big score stares me in the face every day. That said, I barely dabble in them in. Part of that reason is because I don’t agree with the scripting policy. Considering recent events, it’s yet another trust issue that will be difficult to get past the general public. Basically, I agree with the others here. In light of recent events, does Draftkings plan on revisiting their scripting policy?

• Gotembaseball

Cal,

Thank you for opening up questions to the DFS community. My question has been asked and in my opinion is the biggest threat to the future of DFS outside this data leak and that is the use of scripts. I feel this interview with Jason will all be for not if Dan neglects to asks about the use of scripting and the harm scripting causes to the DFS ecosystem while only benefitting the 1%.

The harsh reality is scripting is killing this industry in terms of long term growth. DFS Corporations (Player Corps) have created scripts to effectively bum hunt and snap up H2Hs of new players or players with under a certain amount of wins. The player corporations have data scraping scripts that create and adjust lineups based on player news automatically. As I’ve said before this current model of allowing player scripts that interact with DFS sites is a ticking time bomb and if this is not addressed head on now it will be the next big expose of the media outlets across the country.

So now here is my question.
    Mr. Robbins will DraftKings outlaw the use of player scripts that interact directly with DraftKings? If not why? If so when can we expect to see scripts banned and what will be the punishment handed down to the player corps caught breaking the rules?

Thank you for your time

Gabriel Rios
    GotEmBaseball

• CaptainKirk12

• x2

2016 FanDuel WFBC Finalist

• 2016 FanDuel NFL Playboy Mansion Finalist

What checks and balances were in place to protect the data?

Assuming Ethan couldn’t access this data on his own…. who did he make a request to?

Why hasn’t a log/record been provided to show an employee must request this data and can you provide one for the incident?

• ComicFx

The decision to allow scripting should be cause for much concern to independent investigators and the AG. It was a blatant violation of site TOS and when the sites were questioned by players they simply changed the TOS in what appears to be an effort to keep the highest volume players happy. It must be addressed.

• dizzle

1. Why can we not see all the lineups in tournaments.
    2. Can you make a downloadable .csv file that is available at the start of lock that shows each player/lineup

• rotokevin

2014 RG Bowling Co-Champion, CPA & DFS Tax Guru

• 2014 FanDuel WFBC Finalist

@dizzle said...

1. Why can we not see all the lineups in tournaments.
    2. Can you make a downloadable .csv file that is available at the start of lock that shows each player/lineup

This exists.

• Sprizouse

How does this seemingly inflated incident set back the marketing efforts and prove that there is such a thing as growing too fast, and this industry isn’t yet worthy of a billion dollar valuation?

If something as small as a player ownership leak after the contests were locked draws governmental intervention, this thing won’t last. Obviously everyone is working hard to curtail the likeliness of this happening, but that seems like the wrong focus here. A year ago this would have been an issue resolved only on the RG forums (with a $10k freeroll) and now a relatively elementary mistake is viral in a matter of days. I think we’ve always known this industry is very young and thus prone to mistakes, but the marketing efforts over the past 60 days have only put a bigger and more public spotlight on that.

Now ESPN is reportedly backing off, which only confirms Disney’s original concerns of investing; it’s only a matter of time before the government tries to step in and plug the 2006 loop-hole. That leads me to ignorantly wondering if there are actions DK has taken against such negatively publicity. While the old saying is that there is no such thing as bad publicity, that only assumes the individual, the company, or the industry can withstand the extreme backlash thrust upon it. This industry, notably DK, is too young for such backlash. It may only get 2 strikes…

Is there a multi-year contractual agreement that protects DK or FD against governmental interference in the space of “skilled games”?

It’s my, admittedly limited, understanding that if there is such an agreement in place, there can be no immediate resolution to the legality of this, which I think is the main concern here. For example, if I have a contractual agreement to operate sweepstakes parlors in Montana for 5 years and the government finds them illegal in year 4, it is my understanding that I can legally still finish out my contract without interference. If that is true, does similar protection apply here?

It seems ridiculous to jump straight to that, but SVP had his rant on it before this even happened. Some pretty prominent sports bettors have taken similar stances, and Dan has rightfully responded to the sports bettor backlash with a credible DFS stance. I don’t even follow TV much anymore but this debate seems to be unavoidable. The industry, notably DK and FD, grew too fast and might go bust as a result. I know how much lawyers with gaming experience charge, and it’s not going to be pretty for any party involved.

I promise you 98% of the people reading this or partaking in this discussion are more informed than me, but I’ve been around since like day 90 of this industry. That at the very least gives me an understanding of what this industry was founded on, and the highs and lows that it has experienced. When I saw the massive guaranteed prize pools promised this NFL season, I knew there would be an increased marketing effort. Embarrassingly, I was more concerned about the sites crashing on Sunday mornings like in prior years, than employees allegedly acting on insider information. That seems quite naive now, but only illustrates just how fast the industry blew up and how that growth may need to be ramped down a bit.

Last questions: Is the ESPN televised final still guaranteed, and how does DK ensure that it protects it’s brand moving forward? FanDuel has been around since day one, and is going to come out of this relatively unscathed, if not better. I rarely, if ever, play on FD but Nigel and the team seem more prepared to handle catastrophe. What can DK do, outside of the obvious politics of talk about procedures and procedures, to ensure that they also survive the trials and tribulations of the infancy of DFS?

This event isn’t something I even blinked at when I read about it, but like I said, you may not get more than 2 strikes. And this was clearly strike one.

Good luck Dan, I know you’ll give us a great interview!

• pomppomp

How do the sites propose to make it worthwhile for their employees to not continue playing under an acquaintance’s screen name? The man in question had a big hit worth $350k for 1 contest. I can only imagine that represents at the very least several years worth of DK salary, so why should he or anyone else stop? People have found a way around rules/laws/prohibited activities for as long as people have been around, and I suspect it would be no different with respect to DFS. I’d rather know who I’m playing against than not.

I’d like to know how many lineups the individual had in the contest and how well did those other entries place? Also how well has he done in the past before and during his employment with DK? Do people have a problem with the low owned players he may have had exposure to that didn’t do so well that day?

I don’t believe his knowledge (if he even did have the DK ownership % before the FD contest locked) helped him tremendously. There are enough differences between the games on both sites that a guy who is a great play on DK may not be on FD for many different reasons. If you don’t know with a reasonable amount of accuracy who will be the guys with high/low ownership levels, you probably shouldn’t be playing in the first place. With all that being said, the players he selected still had to go out there and outperform those on everyone else’s team except 1 in order for him to take 2nd place in such a large field tournament.

Thanks to Rotogrinders, its hosts and contributors for all they do.

• kaetorade

• 2013 DraftStreet DSBBC Finalist

There seems to be a ton of negative feedback with the DK commercials. Is there any hard evidence to the contrary? If not, are there plans to switch gears in terms of marketing?

• cb35

2013 FFFC Finalist, 2013 DFFC Finalist

• 2013 FanDuel WFFC Finalist

Is draftkings considering any legal action against mainstream media outlets that incorrectly reported the facts and disclosed names of employee(s) which harmed the company and individual(s) reputation ?

• smutpeddlers

I would say, are their plans to limit large bank rolls from ruining the fun of the game for the small time guys in the quarter arcade. It seems as if you could put in place after so many wins or so much money won you are a different teir and could not go down unless over a period of time you lost or something. I don’t play small stakes but it seems not needed for 200 entrants into quarter arcade when your considered a DFS Pro. It may help keep some people around and allow them to build there bankroll…… If not why not……

• jamie2111

Agressive Advertising!

Do you think it’s time to reduce the amount of advertising you are doing?

I think it relates to the current issue because people who are annoyed by such an aggressive advertisement campaign are more likely to fuel the fire against DFS.

Thanks

• pharoah1

@smutpeddlers said...

I would say, are their plans to limit large bank rolls from ruining the fun of the game for the small time guys in the quarter arcade. It seems as if you could put in place after so many wins or so much money won you are a different teir and could not go down unless over a period of time you lost or something. I don’t play small stakes but it seems not needed for 200 entrants into quarter arcade when your considered a DFS Pro. It may help keep some people around and allow them to build there bankroll…… If not why not……

Seriously, 200 entries in quarter arcade? I just started dfs this season, and 3 weeks in I can’t play beginner any more. On top of that I can only find one single entry gpp. It would be nice to have more options for us that are still learning. When I play poker I don’t jump in with pros, and pros don’t come to my 1/2 table. Why can’t there be some separation here, or at the least have tournaments that are more level, ie no scripts and limited entries?

• Ryazan

• x3

2015 FanDuel WFFC Finalist

• x2

2015 FanDuel WFBC Finalist

Dan, we met in Las Vegas in August and talked for a while, so I hope you can ask this question word for word for me please if you do indeed choose to ask it:

“Is it not extremely difficult to expect very talented DFS players in your company to stop playing DFS cold turkey, and to expect that to not have negative effects on Draftkings, whether it be due to losing excellent employees to turnover or general negative company morale for those that stay but can no longer follow their dreams of being a winning DFS player?”

• smutpeddlers

@pharoah1 said...

Seriously, 200 entries in quarter arcade? I just started dfs this season, and 3 weeks in I can’t play beginner any more. On top of that I can only find one single entry gpp. It would be nice to have more options for us that are still learning. When I play poker I don’t jump in with pros, and pros don’t come to my 1/2 table. Why can’t there be some separation here, or at the least have tournaments that are more level, ie no scripts and limited entries?

Your my case in point. They are recruiting these people why not try to keep them. Of they are putting 5 25 cent entries in and figuring everything out and here comes Ganondorf with his 200 quarter train to take all da monies….. I just think it’s overkill in my opinion. That 50 bucks won’t hurt his bottom line he can enter two more 25 heads up. Sorry to just use him as an example. He just came to mind. I don’t even play these stacks. Just think it would help with retention.

• rsigler65

Appreciate you stepping up the last few days, Dan. Hearing a famaliar voice of reason was much needed by many I’m sure.

My question(s): What was the reason for deciding to allow scripting? Was it primarily to increase potential entries into contests? Was it an attempt to meet customer needs regarding time constraints entering contests? Do you think there is a general misunderstanding about scripting, (lineup optimization vs. contest entry scripting vs. more advanced scripting such as lineup editing and data scraping? Do you feel it’s important to allow (contest entry) scripting as a sort of partner to multi-entry GPP’s, to improve the ‘quality of life’ of customers entering many contests and spending hours clicking during dinner time?

As you can probably tell, I am for scripting, and don’t mean for it to be an ‘agenda’ question, but I am curious about this issue as it does greatly improve my quality of life. I know many are against scripting, so many don’t even go there…

Looking forward to the show.

• phillygamecox

I’d like to throw another vote in for what constitutes an “employee,” specifically as it relates to the pros whose names are tied to these firms. While I think it’s safe to say the DFS community is aware of their “contractor” type position, from a purely optics perspective – I’m not sure the mainstream world(and those that DK, FD, etc…are trying to attract with advertising) can give much distinction between an actual employee and one who frequently appears in some “pro” capacity -whether it be book writing, articles, commercials, etc… The concern is that, as unfortunate as it may be, if these folks win large tournaments or have great success – IMO I’m not sure how these type of inquiries would not always keep popping up. One would hope said controls in place/going in place will clearly detail this out – but I’m again just looking at it from an optics perspective.

• jal0108

Under the DraftKings term of use page, there is a conditions of participation section that specifically states misconduct includes: Colluding with any other individual(s) or engaging in any type of syndicate play.

Why is this not being enforced? It is common knowledge there are sharks in the industry working as teams. There have even been multiple people accept winnings for a live final that was won under a single account.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).