Comments

• whodat2

When: July 13-16

Where: Silvis, IL

Course: TPC Deer Run | A par 71 playing at 7268 yards

Last Year’s Winner: Ryan Moore at -22

Last Year’s Cut: -3

Coverage: The Norm

Admin Note: The mod team is working to keep these daily threads more on topic – Golf strategy talk for this week’s contest. Post referring to last week’s contest will be moved to the correct thread. Any off topic posts or posts containing full lineups will be deleted..

• cy1985

The field: http://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/john-deere-classic/field.html

• KindGuy

Ryan Moore LOCK

• superstars92

I know 6/6 matters every week, but if there was one week where 6/6 matters the most, it’s this week.

There are some weeks in which we see a lot of 5/6s beat 6/6s, 4/6s beat 5/6s, etc. Well, it’s far less likely for that to happen this week. You’ll see that almost all 6/6s will beat 5/6s, almost all 5/6s beat 4/6s, etc. (maybe a few exceptions, but a much higher percentage than normal).

This is because this course is one of the easiest courses on tour, and there will be a ton of birdie opportunities. Unless the weather is a huge issue, you probably will see 30 to 40 or more guys at -10 or better (you can check out the leaderboard the last few years). As a result, if you are missing a weekend golfer, you probably are leaving far more birdies out there than a usual golf tournament. It’s just way harder to cash with an MC this way because of the great weekend scoring opportunities.

I’m interested in seeing Kyle Stanley’s price. Also, Brian Harman’s price (a former champ who’s also playing super well). I actually wouldn’t be surprised if Bubba Watson is one of the highest priced golfers, despite all his trouble. Of course, there is no way I’m choosing him because his MC chances are going to be way higher than others at lower prices.

My guess is the highest priced ones will be Berger, Kisner, Moore, Watson, and Harman…and maybe Stanley and Hoffman are next. In that case, I would actually still choose Stanley despite his price probably being way higher than normal.

• whodat2

I will make the Open thread later this evening for those that want get an early jump on discussions.

• cowbell204

This will be my dad and my’s 12th year doing shotlink at the John Deere. Working greenside 9 Friday and on the signature par-3 16 on Sunday. I know most of the holes so if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

• cowbell204

@superstars92 said...

I know 6/6 matters every week, but if there was one week where 6/6 matters the most, it’s this week.

There are some weeks in which we see a lot of 5/6s beat 6/6s, 4/6s beat 5/6s, etc. Well, it’s far less likely for that to happen this week. You’ll see that almost all 6/6s will beat 5/6s, almost all 5/6s beat 4/6s, etc. (maybe a few exceptions, but a much higher percentage than normal).

This is because this course is one of the easiest courses on tour, and there will be a ton of birdie opportunities. Unless the weather is a huge issue, you probably will see 30 to 40 or more guys at -10 or better (you can check out the leaderboard the last few years). As a result, if you are missing a weekend golfer, you probably are leaving far more birdies out there than a usual golf tournament. It’s just way harder to cash with an MC this way because of the great weekend scoring opportunities.

I’m interested in seeing Kyle Stanley’s price. Also, Brian Harman’s price (a former champ who’s also playing super well). I actually wouldn’t be surprised if Bubba Watson is one of the highest priced golfers, despite all his trouble. Of course, there is no way I’m choosing him because his MC chances are going to be way higher than others at lower prices.

My guess is the highest priced ones will be Berger, Kisner, Moore, Watson, and Harman…and maybe Stanley and Hoffman are next. In that case, I would actually still choose Stanley despite his price probably being way higher than normal.

Don’t forget about Zach. Sure he hasn’t really played well this year, but he has something like six top-3 finishes the last eight years at his home tournament.

• cy1985

This is a week again to go low, play less than usual and get ready for the Open Championship.

• cy1985

@cowbell204 said...

This will be my dad and my’s 12th year doing shotlink at the John Deere. Working greenside 9 Friday and on the signature par-3 16 on Sunday. I know most of the holes so if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Are we looking for bombers this week or guys with the short game? Additionally, can any of the bombers get on the green in 1 on any of the Par 4s? I see one is 367 yards (hole 6) and another is 361 yards (hole 15) for example. Thanks!

• cowbell204

@cy1985 said...

Are we looking for bombers this week or guys with the short game? Additionally, can any of the bombers get on the green in 1 on any of the Par 4s? I see one is 367 yards (hole 6) and another is 361 yards (hole 15) for example. Thanks!

I think you meant 14 instead of 15. 14 is driveable only when they play the tees up. We’ve worked fairway 14 a couple of times; second time was on a sunday where they played the tees up and it was driveable and I shot 5-6 balls all day. Otherwise they were all down in the collection area next to the green.

You want guys that can make a lot of birdies on par 4’s like this past week. That’s why Zach does so well.

The only water on the course is on #2, #10 and #18. #2 is a downhill dogleg right par 5 that is a risk for eagle every time with water next to the green on the left, and 10 has water in front of and to the right of the green. The other par-5, 17, has a lot of sand around the elevated green but past the first shot is wide open.

• cowbell204

Two years ago instead of giving away free rounds to volunteers, all volunteers got to play the course for free. And while it’s one of the easier courses on tour, holy shit was it hard for a couple of weekend warriors. But it was a ton of fun being able to play a few of the holes we’ve worked for years with a lot of the tournament stuff still up.

My dad likes to brag that he birdied the 16th that we work; he also played about 100 yards up from where they tee off on Sunday.

• cy1985

@cowbell204 said...

I think you meant 14 instead of 15. 14 is driveable only when they play the tees up. We’ve worked fairway 14 a couple of times; second time was on a sunday where they played the tees up and it was driveable and I shot 5-6 balls all day. Otherwise they were all down in the collection area next to the green.

You want guys that can make a lot of birdies on par 4’s like this past week. That’s why Zach does so well.

The only water on the course is on #2, #10 and #18. #2 is a downhill dogleg right par 5 that is a risk for eagle every time with water next to the green on the left, and 10 has water in front of and to the right of the green. The other par-5, 17, has a lot of sand around the elevated green but past the first shot is wide open.

Thanks. I will play a Puddin single bullet again this week. Got a lot to be thinking about. Thanks!

• sochoice

• 2017 DraftKings FBWC Finalist

• 2017 FanDuel WFFC Champion

@cy1985 said...

This is a week again to go low, play less than usual and get ready for the Open Championship.

Don’t know about that. There’s an edge with lower name brand guys. Might be time to go big this week. By the Open, everyone will be back and on it.

• cowbell204

But yeah, you want guys that make a lot of birdies. Two years ago Spieth was looking like a risk to miss the cut halfway through the second round. Ended up winning.

• cy1985

@sochoice said...

Don’t know about that. There’s an edge with lower name brand guys. Might be time to go big this week. By the Open, everyone will be back and on it.

Too much variance this week with so many birdies. I just do better when I limit myself. In the last 3 weeks I played 5 doglegs and cashed 4 of them. To each their own.

• lexmarke238

@cowbell204 said...

Two years ago instead of giving away free rounds to volunteers, all volunteers got to play the course for free. And while it’s one of the easier courses on tour, holy shit was it hard for a couple of weekend warriors. But it was a ton of fun being able to play a few of the holes we’ve worked for years with a lot of the tournament stuff still up.

My dad likes to brag that he birdied the 16th that we work; he also played about 100 yards up from where they tee off on Sunday.

Thanks for the stories and course info. I would give anything to have a tradition like that with my dad.

• WidumBoise

@cowbell204 said...

Which golfers in the field do you think are an ELITE course fit?

• KindGuy

@WidumBoise said...

Why? You wanna LOCK them into your optimizer?

• timusbr

cowbell, good stories, nice input….bet you got a bunch more stored away.

• cowbell204

@timusbr said...

cowbell, good stories, nice input….bet you got a bunch more stored away.

There’s this ice cream store in the Quad Cities called Whiteys. They have something that they only have for sale at the JDC called a Cherry Ace. It’s cherry slushie and vanilla ice cream frozen together, and it’s amazing. I have at least one every day we work.

If anyone remembers, two years ago our hole was the one where the people in the river shot off the whatever-cannon and freaked a bunch of people out.

• cowbell204

@WidumBoise said...

Often times some of the big names don’t play well, shoot around even par and don’t make the cut.

• Cooper08

• Blogger of the Month

Below are the players who are currently in the field and have qualified for the Open.. hopefully we can keep the WD talk to a min. as it rarely happens once they tee off. Perhaps since the Open is over seas it may happen more but still not a lot. Looking through the leaderboard earlier and remember seeing 2-5 WD over last couple years, I don’t recall who and if it may have been Open related. I was surprised by how many have elected to play John Deer vs the euro tourney. If I missed someone please let us know.

B Harman
    Z Johnson
    Bubba
    Stanley
    Berger
    Bryan
    O’Hair
    Kis
    Moore
    CH3
    C Hoffman
    K Na
    M Maverick
    R Castro
    S Stricker
    R Streb
    J Lovemark

• noddy

Come on Thursday!!!!!

• cy1985

@noddy said...

Come on Thursday!!!!!

Noddy, you know how I feel.

• cy1985

@cowbell204 said...

There’s this ice cream store in the Quad Cities called Whiteys. They have something that they only have for sale at the JDC called a Cherry Ace. It’s cherry slushie and vanilla ice cream frozen together, and it’s amazing. I have at least one every day we work.

If anyone remembers, two years ago our hole was the one where the people in the river shot off the whatever-cannon and freaked a bunch of people out.

That Cherry Ace sounds amazing.

• cy1985

@Cooper08 said...

Below are the players who are currently in the field and have qualified for the Open.. hopefully we can keep the WD talk to a min. as it rarely happens once they tee off. Perhaps since the Open is over seas it may happen more but still not a lot. Looking through the leaderboard earlier and remember seeing 2-5 WD over last couple years, I don’t recall who and if it may have been Open related. I was surprised by how many have elected to play John Deer vs the euro tourney. If I missed someone please let us know.

B Harman
    Z Johnson
    Bubba
    Stanley
    Berger
    Bryan
    O’Hair
    Kis
    Moore
    CH3
    C Hoffman
    K Na
    M Maverick
    R Castro
    S Stricker
    R Streb
    J Lovemark

Munoz.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).