NBA FORUM

Comments

• Ty127

I have been playing dfs NBA for a while but I could never score more than 280. I always check everybody scores And be seeing 300+ And wondering how they do it. If someone could help me with a strategy I would be grateful.

• w3stcoastoff3ns3

I always try to find two guys who have 60-70 point upside, tonight it was RWB and KD. Then from there I find guys who i feel are priced too low for what they can possibly put out. For instance; tonight I used both Gasol, JJ Barea, etc. Then I find a cheap guy who is consistent, tonight that was James Ennis. Scored 304.75 and finished 15th in the and one. Also finished 75th and 138 in the And One.

• Yombo

dont roster any guys in GPPs that dont have some sort of upside (30+), it’tll keep you from punting to a guy that is inconsistent just to fit in bigger stars. i also think you should have guys with 50-70 pt upside on your team (maybe 1 and a balanced team or 2 if there are some good values)

you shouldnt think he’s 4K i wonder if he can get me 20, you should feel good about his chances to get 20-25 and expect 30ish if you’re going that low. a lot of 5-7.5k players are like this on big slates. DK you can take more risks as some guys are ridiculously affordable and the rest of the teaam looks good around them. i’d do less of that on FD unless its a ‘chalk play’ you feel good about (i.e. tim frazier twice already)

try to like every guy on your teams spot, pick guys who have soft matchups or high totals or both. looking for low owned guys maybe take a risk on a lower total but a decent matchup or semi-favorable price. just keep pushing

• madmanjayWV

@Ty127 said...

I have been playing dfs NBA for a while but I could never score more than 280. I always check everybody scores And be seeing 300+ And wondering how they do it. If someone could help me with a strategy I would be grateful.

I assume you are playing on FD?

Best thing to do is realize you need BASE POINTS and BONUS POINTS… but whatever you are doing or thinking of doing while constructing a lineup think of this.

Who are the overall top 5 players (STUDS) tonight?
    Are there any really seriously (on paper) UNDER VALUED players? — I.E. D. Booker RB DENVER in NFL this week on DK, for example…

Now, after you’ve determined that above, depending on the # of players you have 5+ on STUDS alone, it’s time to figure out which STUDS you really want . Are you going to pay $13K for RWB outta your cap — sure the base points are in theory nice, but in order to hit 5x VALUE — which is what you need on FD from each of your players to get 300 point plateau — RWB has to get 65 points…he scores some 80+burger….all the better

If he hits 40-45-55….the base points are still there as he should be/is likely to be one of the top scoring PGs on the nite….but now the rest of your salary has to not only get 5x value — i.e. a $4,000 player on FD gets you 5x for 20.0 FDP — now the rest of your LU has to make up for what $13K RWB didn’t get.

If that makes any sense — you’ve got some good comments already — stay the course, find the value (real or perceived) — hit the STUDS and you might come out with the all-nuts lineup!

P.S. — When I mention BONUS POINTS — that’s when you have this — FOR EXAMPLE ON SUNDAY NIGHT, which greatly helped in making a solid cash.

SG Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
    MIL 83 DET 98
    FINAL
    $4,800
    SALARY
    3.4%
    OWNED

In theory — on your lineup you are going to spend $60,000 and every player you are hoping goes 5x and thus 300 POINTS — Obviously it takes much MORE than that to win a GPP, but that’s the process, IMO, or how I roll with it.

Anyway — at $4800 if you got the GONADS to roster KCP you want him to get you 24 FDP, which is 5x (aka 300 standard) — Of course he went for 35.2 (+11.2 BONUS) and was better than a 7x return on risk/final production.

P.P.S. — This would be a breakdown (OVERALL)

Mike Conley 8.9% owned $6800 (40.3) = 5.9X
    Eric Bledsoe 18.7% owned $7400 (38.0) = 5.1x
    Dion waiters 7.7% owned $4600 (13.9) = 3.0x
    KCP 3.4% owned $4800 (35.2) = 7.3x
    KD 43.1% owned $9700 (53.8) = 5.5x
    Kawhi 25.4% owned $8700 (38.4) = 4.4x
    David Lee 26% owned $4100 (23.2) = 5.65x
    ZBO 10.4% owned $6000 (33.9) = 5.65x
    DRUMMOND 16.5% owned $7900 (59.1) = 7.48x

madmanjay
    296th / 58823
    POSITION

• hambazaza

RG Blog Program Manager, 2014 RG Party Beer Pong Champion

• Blogger of the Month

• Beer Pong Champion

a good way to start roster construction is to build an entire team of value plays. Go through each position and find the top value plays, either through your own algorithm, your favorite site/tout or by searching through the days news and finding the heavy minutes players that might miss tonight and take the next guy on that team that is likely to take those 10-15 shots and spend 30-45 minutes on the floor.

In NBA nailing your value play matters way more than nailing your studs.

Once you have your entire team of value plays, rank them against each other. The lowest ranked 3-4 should be replaced with expensive players. so if you find that your value PF should vastly outscore your value SF then pay up for SF, and if your value SG is a stud who should get 30-40 minutes and averages 1.22 points per minute, then pay up for the Point guard and ignore all that PG value.

Alternatively, a lot of times, mid range guys can go off, but you have to find the right spot. I do think that targeting to have at least 2 of the super-stud-stars on your team is ideal as it gives you that upside. I would experiment with building 3 lineups a night with different team structures and just see how it looks over a little while. You’ll find that you’re much better at building a specific type of lineup, and maybe that should be your goal every night.

Good Luck!

• tgowen

• Blogger of the Month

One thing I always try to remember is not to overthink things. When looking at successful lineups, I often notice that they have a high number of popular plays. Yes, they usually have one or two plays that may be under the radar (1-7% ownership) but for the most part their plays aren’t hard to understand the decision making that went into them. I think far too often DFS players get too cute and work too hard at trying to create lineups that have those diamond in the rough type of players when in reality the best play was right in front of them the whole time.

• jenkins2010

what price point do you guys consider a value play? under 5k?

• Shipmymoney

RG Overall Ranking

• Ranked #11

RG Tiered Ranking

• x3

2016 DraftKings FBWC Finalist

• 2016 FanDuel MLB Playboy Mansion Finalist

@Yombo said...

dont roster any guys in GPPs that dont have some sort of upside (30+), it’tll keep you from punting to a guy that is inconsistent just to fit in bigger stars. i also think you should have guys with 50-70 pt upside on your team (maybe 1 and a balanced team or 2 if there are some good values)

you shouldnt think he’s 4K i wonder if he can get me 20, you should feel good about his chances to get 20-25 and expect 30ish if you’re going that low. a lot of 5-7.5k players are like this on big slates. DK you can take more risks as some guys are ridiculously affordable and the rest of the teaam looks good around them. i’d do less of that on FD unless its a ‘chalk play’ you feel good about (i.e. tim frazier twice already)

try to like every guy on your teams spot, pick guys who have soft matchups or high totals or both. looking for low owned guys maybe take a risk on a lower total but a decent matchup or semi-favorable price. just keep pushing

This

• monarch

I’ve had success early with Balance. Balance is contrarian because everyone is trying to fit as many AD type players as possible and they end up with duds who go for like 11 pts. I try and find an entire roster of 40+

• bonkurz

I’m new this year, so take this with a grain of salt as I’m learning myself…

My first DFS exposure came this year with the NFL. A few buddies that played last year got me into it and we do a 4 man NFL Sunday slate every year. That got me into playing a few more NFL contests each week and ultimately playing in a handful of NBA contests each day so far this season.

What I noticed when I first started (granted this was on NFL and not NBA) was that I was picking very similar guys when I’d put together my rosters. Sometimes with 100% exposure on 2-4 guys. The biggest thing that has helped me so far is learning not to do that. I think it’s a general tendency to get stuck on a few guys you think will do well and convince yourself they need to be locks. This last week for example I had Julio, Evans and TY in 3 different lineups. The only 2 contests I placed in were lineups that didn’t have any of those three.

In NBA it’s a bit easier because there’s a wider base of guys that can regularly score points. My strategy so far…and I’m net positive on my NBA season thus far…is filling out the first five positions with low to midrange guys. Then I look to the higher priced studs for the last 3 spots(G, F, Util). If there’s someone I really want I’ll put them in and go over budget and reevaluate a couple of the initial picks. If I have money left over, I’ll upgrade those first 5. I always try to find guys that average at least 20 minutes for those value spots and take a decent amount of shots. So, far it’s been working pretty well and my top score on the young season is 321 that got first in a $5 quintuple up by 31pts…wish I’d entered that one in a tourney!

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).