MAIN FORUM

Comments

• Rookie226

I’ve been playing draftkings for almost a year on my iPad. I feel it’s limited in what I can do on the draftkings app. I’m thinking about buying a cheap laptop or chromebook? Any advantages or disadvantages to both of those while playing at draftkings? Looking to start playing multiple lineups but it’s a pain to make on an iPad. Thanks in advance.

• franciscolora

If you’re looking to take this serious, I’d say a windows based laptop or mac would suffice. You’re going to need to use Excel or a similar program to help with projections/creating lineups. You can use it on a Chromebook as well, but these computers are not as powerful as a regular laptop.

At least that’s what I would recommend. Just to give you an idea, when I’m not at my home office, I use a Lenovo Yoga Pro 3. I wish it was more powerful though with all the tabs and programs I have open. Does the job though.

• lolGTO

i’m looking to buy a new laptop as well for DFS purposes.

what system requirements, at minimum, would one need to handle ~50 tabs at once without crashing or slowing down the system considerably?

• smallANDflaccid

I routinely have up ~50 tabs in Chrome and leave that up for months at a time (not the same tabs, they come and go).
    I am on a laptop that started with 16GB and now has 32GB – it is a ThinkPad with Windows 7 (although Windows 10 is likely a better call if the option is there).
    I don’t think any ThinkPads can do 32GB now – this one was a fluke apparently – but I know Dell makes some that can.
    With that many tabs open, Chrome will eventually consume about 16GB of RAM all to itself – maybe 18GB. It doesn’t get much higher than that, so with 32GB of RAM, it is never an issue – but with 16GB have to be more careful with it or see more slowdowns as it swaps to disk (1TB solid state in my case).
    Not sure if FireFox or anything else is any better.

Chrome on OS X will crush your machine – it pushes the CPUs harder, you get more fan noise and time under load, so if on battery it is short lived – so use Safari instead.
    If you have the latest Internet Explorer or whatever Microsoft is calling it – that one is designed for battery life and is better I have heard, but I don’t use it. (As far as I know that is Windows only)

The main thing to note is that if you are not on Windows, Excel is terrible – in Windows, you can write VBA and even background SQL calls into pages, you can use the Solver and other stats packages under the Data section – but none of that works in OS X (even though Excel was the first killer app for Microsoft and it was written only to run on Apples back in the day).
    The workaround there is to use Open Office and there are various plugins there that do the equivalent (some of them are even better – like the Solver in that case doesn’t have some of the line limits that Excel has).

Chromebook you would have to rely on Google Docs as far as I know, and that’s not as good an option – but if you don’t care about Solver or anything computationally challenging – then is fine b/c they are less expensive – but in the end more like an iPad with a keyboard.

Also depends on what else you would use the laptop for, and also how much money you make/spend on DFS vs whatever else you would use it for.
    If you are profitable, but need computation – get something better.
    If it is just a hobby, or don’t make any money and care about that – spend as little as possible.
    Stating the obvious there…

• lolGTO

fantastic info, ty.

looks like i’m going to need something with 32GB.

• smallANDflaccid

Also, you may find that building out the min RAM for cheapest on a laptop site is cheaper, and then go to Crucial.com and telling it what laptop you have and getting the RAM from there is much cheaper – but you would have to figure out how to install it yourself (it is dead easy – the main issue is having small enough screwdrivers – you can buy a kit on Amazon for like $8 that has pretty much everything you would need).

I didn’t price it out before/after on my Thinkpad – but adding 16GB more RAM to what came with it (it is my work laptop) was like $120.

I know on previous MacBook Pros that I’ve had – adding RAM when buying it can add on close to $1k and doing it via Crucial was a fraction of that.
    So just a heads up on that.

If the money isn’t a big deal, then obviously it is easiest to just max it out when buying it and not be bothered – but I am cheap.

• smallANDflaccid

The reason why so few laptops do 32GB is that a lot of the thin ones will actually solder on the RAM so that it is thinner/faster than building in the modular stuff.
    The other reason is that many of the laptop motherboards have a chipset that only allowed 16GB max (not really sure why beyond that) -even though the CPU is 64bit and could easily do tons more RAM.

There are chipsets that allow for more than 16GB, and yet the laptops will advertise 16GB max – I think most users just don’t normally “need” that much.
    For those – you can find stacked RAM sets where they put twice as much in the same space – so you can go up to 32GB that way.

vs the ones where they outright allow it (Thinkpad W541, and some Dells on their website now – as well as some no name sites where they will build whatever you want)

• britdevine

• 2014 StarStreet MLB Playboy Mansion Finalist

Ram and processed speed will help you keep all your tabs/streams running well.

Spend on those over a video card

• rebkell

I’m curious how much the 1 TB solid state drive cost you?

• lolGTO

@smallANDflaccid said...

but I am cheap.

I am too. What do you think of refurbished laptops from BestBuy or Amazon? I was thinking of going this route on a newer one.

• smallANDflaccid

@rebkell said...

I’m curious how much the 1 TB solid state drive cost you?

The one in the Thinkpad cost me nothing b/c it is a work computer.

The one in my MacBook Pro I got on Amazon and followed an online guide on how to install it (transfer data on old one to new one and then swap out the hardware).
    I don’t recall how much it cost – it was probably 2-3 years ago, so a lot more than it would now.

• smallANDflaccid

@lolGTO said...

I am too. What do you think of refurbished laptops from BestBuy or Amazon? I was thinking of going this route on a newer one.

I avoid BestBuy for pretty much anything, always.

I’ve ordered both used and refurbished stuff off Amazon a few times and had no issues – but you want to make sure it is a reputable dealer – ideally the actual manufacturer.
    Although the last time I did this was years ago (like 2007), so no clue these days.
    I have gone through a lot of laptops and when I played a lot of poker would put my fist through them often enough that I was interested in getting less expensive ones.
    (rage over lost internet connection usually)
    These days I break fewer things, so spend more money (or in the case of work – just use what is given me).

I’m changing jobs though, so I have to offload my stuff from here onto some other solution.

• crazypaul

32GB of RAM on a laptop for DFS purposes seems like extreme overkill to me. I have a Lenovo that came with 8GB RAM that I paid $400 for & I upgraded it to 16 for another $40 off of Newegg.. I dont have any problems whatsoever, however Ill admit, the most tabs I have open at once is normally in the 15 tab range. For the life of me, I cant understand why anyone would have 50 tabs open at once.

• smallANDflaccid

@crazypaul said...

For the life of me, I cant understand why anyone would have 50 tabs open at once.

I’ll close mine out, until just now I hadn’t thought of you.

• crazypaul

@smallANDflaccid said...

I’ll close mine out, until just now I hadn’t thought of you.

No need to get butthurt. I never said you couldn’t / shouldn’t, I just said I didnt understand the need.

• deactivated51600

@lolGTO said...

I picked up brand new Acer Chromebook with 15” display at WalMart for just $199. works very well and is pretty fast. Boots up in about 5 seconds. Highly recommend if you are looking for something relatively inexpensive.

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (IL). Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER (NJ/WV/PA/MI), 1-800-9-WITH-IT (IN), 1-800-522-4700 (CO), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), 1-888-532-3500 (VA) or call/text TN REDLINE 1-800-889-9789 (TN).