INDUSTRY FORUM

Comments

• ColonialRampage

http://espn.go.com/chalk/story/_/id/14623271/draftkings-bans-use-offsite-scripts-identify-experienced-players

Highlights: – DK will have it’s own scripting software and will disallow use of any outside scripts – Reduced entry limits – Some kind of designation of experienced players

I’m interested in seeing the official announcement (probably in the morning?)

Moderator Note: Please keep the discussion in this thread on-topic regarding the current changes DK is making. If you want to discuss any proposed changes (e.g. stack limits), please create a new thread.

• theseige

• 2015 DraftKings FFWC Finalist

• x2

2016 DraftKings FBBWC Finalist

This is a major mistake from Draftkings… Having an on-site script will scare casual players away, just ban scripting entirely, this is going to backfire big time

• jakz101

RG Overall Ranking

• $1M Prize Winner

• x5

2015 DraftKings FFWC Finalist

Seige you and I were talking about this earlier. It seems to me that if they’re going to get rid of scripting and (presumably) have a lineup builder of their own, that they should get rid of the ability to import lineups all together. That’s a sure-fire way to get rid of scripting as far as I can tell.

Casual users play DFS because they love building lineups and rooting for their favorite players. If they log on and see something technical that tells them they can build 100+ lineups, here’s how you do it, no lineup building required, etc., then IMO it will scare casual users off. I agree … this will backfire in a big way.

I get that DK is building their own script because, in theory, it allows them to continue offering huge prize pools. I understand the theory behind that. I just don’t agree that in reality it will serve that purpose. I think it’s FAR more likely that it scares casual users away.

• WAREgl

@theseige said...

This is a major mistake from Draftkings… Having an on-site script will scare casual players away, just ban scripting entirely, this is going to backfire big time

I’m not sure casual fans even know or truly understand scripting so I doubt it will scare them away.

• jakz101

RG Overall Ranking

• $1M Prize Winner

• x5

@WAREgl said...

I’m not sure casual fans even know or truly understand scripting so I doubt it will scare them away.

This is why it will backfire. I could definitely see new users logging on expecting to build sports lineups, but rather see something they don’t understand about scripting and simply not risk their money. I genuinely think it will scare new customers away.

• deactivated59241

RG Overall Ranking

• 2015 DraftKings FBBWC Finalist

• x4

2015 DraftKings FCFWC Finalist

@jakz101 said...

This is why it will backfire. I could definitely see new users logging on expecting to build sports lineups, but rather see something they don’t understand about scripting and simply not risk their money. I genuinely think it will scare new customers away.

100% agree. The more complicated it is perceived to be, the less likely someone will be to even make an initial deposit and try it. Should just ban it all together and all importing.

• Stevej2344

I disagree. The casual player has known for some time that there are people who load up in the GPPs but I don’t think the number of casuals will go down dramatically as a result. I have buddies who just play small amounts every day whom lack basic knowledge of how value works. People are fiends for DFS. Most just want to throw a few dollars down for the thrill and to make the games more interesting or watchable. Casual fans all played through the Ethan Haskell controversy so I doubt DK implementing their own scripting would end up as a huge mistake.

• jakz101

RG Overall Ranking

• $1M Prize Winner

• x5

@Stevej2344 said...

I disagree. The casual player doesn’t care or know enough about that stuff. I have buddies who play smaller amounts every day who laugh at me when they see a punt at PG. People are fiends for DFS. Most just want to throw a few dollars to make the games more interesting or watchable. Casual fans all played through the Ethan Haskell controversy so I doubt DK implementing their own scripting would end up as a huge mistake.

I feel like the Ethan Haskell issue wasn’t on the front page of the casual user’s mind. I sort of think if you put scripting on the front page of Draftkings, the casual user will look at it and then become intimidated. Maybe that won’t happen, but it seems very likely. Banning the ability to import a lineup from a 3rd party would solve this, but the prize pools would go down. So, they can leave it as it is, implement their own scripting (and potentially scare away new users), or ban lineup importers and deal with decreased prize pools.

• Putz

Not so fast my friend… The issue wasn’t really in “non-guaranteed” prize pools, was it? Is this article inaccurate or was this a big misinformation campaign? The bigger issue was max (500) entries per contest and “pro’s” flooding $1 – $3 contests.

“In addition, the site will institute entry limits for certain contests with non-guaranteed prize pools. The limits will vary depending on the contests and the price points. For example, there will be a limit of 50 entries in non-guaranteed contests per draft group and per price point in the $1, $2 and $5 contests. The $3 contest is the most popular, the site said.”

• tipandpick

• 2016 FanDuel WFFC Finalist

• 2014 FAFC Champion

Hello,

At DraftKings, our customers are at the core of everything we do. We are continuously seeking your feedback and optimizing our product to ensure that we are offering the best possible experience for all our users.

Today, as part of an ongoing dialogue with our users, we are taking additional steps to enhance our platform.

We know that efficiency and user experience is extremely important to DraftKings players. To that end, we recently launched a new tool that makes it easier for players to enter their DraftKings lineups, and we will continue to innovate and add features that allow everyone to use our site quickly and efficiently.

With the implementation of the new tool, effective January 29, 2016, DraftKings will prohibit the use of scripts and other automated means of interacting with our site. Though all customers were previously allowed to use scripts, going forward, all users must use only the tools available on the DraftKings site to submit lineups, enter contests, and perform all site activity.

DraftKings is committed to providing competitive and entertaining contests for our players while ensuring transparency of the Daily Fantasy Sports industry and we have been engaged for years in proactively defining ground-rules for responsible play.

We encourage you to send us your feedback and ideas to support@draftkings.com.

Thank you,
    The DraftKings Team

• Baal

I’m actually really excited to see these tools. Any hope of beta testing it or getting an early preview?

• waffles2003

If they really had their customers in mind, they would get rid of scripting all together and also strongly limit the number of entries per player.

Instead of raising the prize pools, limit the number of entries per player…

• Helplessnewb

100% Casual scrub here, around 100 or so entries played ever. Doesn’t and will not scare me in the slightest and as mentioned above, already aware that people load up on multi entries at a rate I can’t even imagine using scripts. Not buying the whole scared of a technical tool thing.

• Mindofigor

RIP fantasycruncher

• mchin1027

@theseige said...

Banning scripts altogether means smaller prize pools, because no one is going to be able to submit/edit 500 unique entries into big GPPs.

Smaller prize pools = fewer casual players

Banning 3rd party scripts and allowing everyone access to the same multi entry tool levels the playing field, assuming they’re able to enforce this new policy.

I’m sure there will be complaints because people love to complain, but I can’t see how this is negative in any way.

• TheRyanFlaherty

@SportsFront said...

100% agree. The more complicated it is perceived to be, the less likely someone will be to even make an initial deposit and try it. Should just ban it all together and all importing.

If a lot of this is stuff a casual player wouldn’t use or possibly understand, could the perception that DK is trying to create a fair playing field be a positive?

Players here can understand and debate the actual effects but if it’s framed as a positive step in the media I think it actually attracts customers.

• SmokestackLightning

@Putz said...

The issue wasn’t really in “non-guaranteed” prize pools,

I’m fairly certain, given the context, that it means GPPs, and this is a misunderstanding on the part of the ESPN writer.

We’ll see when they officially roll it out, but as you said, non-GPPs are not the problem. Are there any non-GPPs that allow more than 50 entries to begin with?

Although in that quoted passage, it does indicate the 1/2/3 dollar contests will be limited to 50 as well. So who the hell knows?

(throws up hands) Just have to wait and see.

• slcseas

Just because they’ve changed the policy doesn’t mean that they are necessarily able, or willing, to enforce it. I never really cared about scripting anyway, but it will be interesting to see how this turns out.

• SmokestackLightning

@mchin1027 said...

I’m sure there will be complaints because people love to complain, but I can’t see how this is negative in any way.

I’m pretty much in the same boat. Those who have been agitating for change are starting to get it—and a lot of it. Got to take the wins when they come, not get mad when one does not get everything one wants all at once.

Also, I am somewhat baffled at why everyone is so concerned about the apparently easily spooked and frightened “casual” player. Most here seem to think they can speak confidently for this sort of player, and yet nobody posting here is actually one of them.

• crazypaul

@theseige said...

Anything the site does, someone is going to have a negative opinion about it. If you allow scripting in it’s current environment, the non-scripting low budget player goes up in arms that it is unfair. If you ban scripting all together, the high volume players go up in arms that it is unfair and prize pools will get lowered.

By providing a tool that is available to every single user and banning all other outside scripts, the site is at least making a level playing field for all. Whether or not uploading a csv to Draftkings is too complicated for some users is up for debate, but at least no one can claim that one user has an advantage over the other as far as submitting lineups goes. I think this is a positive move for the site.

• talnted145

For head to heads why don’t these sites use a match making system like most online video games do? That way you will be placed in matches against someone of similar skill. It can be number of wins, winning %, etc. That can be worked on but have a match making system just seems logical to me.

• 1greatbuyz

• x3

2014 FanDuel WFFC Finalist

• 2014 FanDuel WFBC Finalist

@theseige said...

Agreed, without this script the traffic would lock up their site on NFL Sundays occasionally. An on site script should make that very interesting.

• liquidfire

This hit me hard because I had just put about 100 hours in coding up a custom browser extension that would have allowed me to automatically late-swap in satellites by downloading the current list lineups/player stats and running an algorithm to mathematically determine which lineups had no chance of hitting the prize in their current form and swapping accordingly.

I definitely have mixed feelings. On the one hand, I had found a way to gain a major edge completely within the rules and that is not going to happen now. On the other hand, I suppose in some ways draftkings is protected regular players from me and my advantage was based on my computer science skills not necessarily on my “fantasy” skills. As much as I hate losing the edge I think its a good move for the site overall.

Fantasycruncher isn’t dead, at all. My guess is, they will just have to remove their “auto import” feature and you will just have to download a .csv file and upload it using draftkings upload tool instead. Tiny amount of convenience gone but otherwise business as usual.

• liquidfire

Also, regarding fantasycruncher – this should make business BOOM for them, because now you suddenly have millions of people who would never before consider using massive amounts of multiple lineups but will want to since the mass upload tool is on DK itself.

The affect this has is going to be very interesting. This will probably cause MORE multi-entry, but the quality of the multi-entries will go down. GPP’s might end up being a bit more “fishy” as a result, actually. Multi-entry is so much more than spamming every possible combination, I think the meta-game just changed in a big way… its going to be all about being smart with your multi-entries and hedging them against each other correctly.

• bigloser11

I didn’t cut/paste the notice but it reads that scripts and the like will not be allowed after 1/29.
    Does this include the recent Roto enhancement of exporting multi lineups to DK? jm

• bologo

I also have this question…I just started using the Rotogrinder DK chrome plugin, I really like it. Will this impact that?

• X Unread Thread
  • X Thread with New Replies*
  • *Jumps to your first unread reply

Subforum Index

RotoGrinders.com is the home of the daily fantasy sports community. Our content, rankings, member blogs, promotions and forum discussion all cater to the players that like to create a new fantasy team every day of the week.

Bet with your head, not over it!
Gambling Problem? Call 1-800-Gambler